ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer Pitt transfer contacts database

hope is false at this point.

"lets not pass judgment on the coach until the season is over" "lets not pass judgement on the coach until the class is set"

same as saying "lets ignore anything that happened the last 3 years"

what tune are people whistling when they walk past the graveyard

True. So far, I haven't seen acceptable results from this coach and his staff. In fact, I've seen deterioration as the season wears on each year. Let's see some results and no more excuses from Capel. It's time in year 4 to produce (meaning an NIT bid minimum) or we make a change. And I'm being generous. Rightfully, we should be in the NCAAT next year. Lots of money and time being wasted now.

"lets not pass judgment on the coach until the season is over" "lets not pass judgement on the coach until the class is set"

Moving the goalposts with the score already in, is of no benefit.

We as FANS and donors are not as vested as Jeff Capel. If he fails to bring in decent players then it’s no skin off my nose. The obsession to track every player that turns down Pitt is a waste of time.

The end product is what counts. At the end of the day if he fails, we move on...Nobody should be more worried than Capel...

We as FANS and donors are not as vested as Jeff Capel. If he fails to bring in decent players then it’s no skin off my nose. The obsession to track every player that turns down Pitt is a waste of time.

The end product is what counts. At the end of the day if he fails, we move on...Nobody should be more worried than Capel...

Definitely the onus is on Capel. My life goes on whether he brings in player X or player Y and I don't care to follow any of these announcements because as of right now, they mean nothing. What matters is results on the court, and Capel hasn't produced results. He should rightfully be worried...very worried.

Definitely the onus is on Capel. My life goes on whether he brings in player X or player Y and I don't care to follow any of these announcements because as of right now, they mean nothing. What matters is results on the court, and Capel hasn't produced results. He should rightfully be worried...very worried.
He is ready for his buyout, Mr. DeMille.

hint its the last 2 coaches.....the 2 before that did just fine.

you continue to make up excuses for capel.
What don’t you get , I don’t care who the coach Pitt hired or more importantly could hire , recruiting has been bad for a long time and I don’t see anyone coming in here and convincing the 4 & 5 * kids to come here .

It makes me laugh when I hear that Pitt should of hired Oats or Musselman , these guys weren’t coming to Pitt and it’s not the money . The support it takes to get these kids on campus just obviously doesn’t exist .

After the Young and Artis class JDs classes sucked ....Cam was a kid no one wanted and was offered because they had an unfilled ship in May and Luther was rated in the mid 300’s and was only offered after everyone Jamie wanted early went elsewhere . Maybe you liked Wilson or Kithcart !

Pitt had the needed group last season before the Hugley suspension.

We beat Syracuse twice and Duke. We were on a roll. We looked like a “team”.

We were back.

The problem was not talent. The problem is not location. The problem is not Pitt.

The problem is that Capel could not mold, handle or keep the talent he had assembled.

The hard part of assembling talent was already mostly completed. Capel either was the cause that talent left or Capel himself deemed that talent defective and tore down all that he had built.

Most seem eager to give him a second crack at building, I have serious reservations concerning that.

I expect more of the same. He has the look of a Dambrot at Duquesne :Constant turnover for whatever reasons.

Good players enter and leave. No progress.
I believe Hugley was a big loss , but Toney was rumored to want to leave last yr and I sure he asked JC if it was ok to sleep with a teammates woman . X thinks he’s a lot better than he is so does AKC and obviously both weren’t happy with their roles ...time will tell just how big a loss either were .

Pitt needs stability and can’t afford another buyout and what sensible guys coming in here ... I’ll answer for you ...no one !

I believe Hugley was a big loss , but Toney was rumored to want to leave last yr and I sure he asked JC if it was ok to sleep with a teammates woman . X thinks he’s a lot better than he is so does AKC and obviously both weren’t happy with their roles ...time will tell just how big a loss either were .

Pitt needs stability and can’t afford another buyout and what sensible guys coming in here ... I’ll answer for you ...no one !
Pitt needs stability.

Trey transfers

X, Toney and AKC transfer. ( not to mention less significant players).

Based on how Capel has managed his players in the past here, I would expect more of the same. Each year has contained conflict.

Maybe we could achieve stability by hiring a coach more capable creating and maintaining team cohesion.

That would seem the better bet.

Pitt needs stability.

Trey transfers

Based on how Capel has managed his players in the past here, I would expect more of the same. Each year has contained conflict.

Maybe we could achieve stability by hiring a coach more capable creating and maintaining team cohesion.

By your logic, you just eliminated 2/3rds of all college coaches.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Pitt needs stability.

Trey transfers

Gary, you're right. Through all of this conflict, defections, team turmoil, what or who is the one constant? Yep, you got it!

Pitt needs stability.

Trey transfers

College bb has changed forever , change will happen every yr at just about every school .

Crying for JC to be replaced is just a waste of time , Pitt is going to give him every opportunity to succeed . Better understand that or you’ll be crying the same tune for another 3 yrs or so .

College bb has changed forever , change will happen every yr at just about every school .

Crying for JC to be replaced is just a waste of time , Pitt is going to give him every opportunity to succeed . Better understand that or you’ll be crying the same tune for another 3 yrs or so .
You are correct. The fact is that Pitt is going to give Capel every opportunity to succeed. If anyone thinks otherwise, then your kidding yourself.

There are many reasons. Here are a few...

1. There is politics involved. - When was the last time Pitt hired an African-American as a head coach for football or basketball? How about a football coordinator? it hasn’t happened. Narduzzi is going into year 6, and you’re giving Capel 3 years? Not happening.

2. It’s expensive to buyout contracts. The big donors have to approve and willing to shell out the payments. A lot of them are African-American as well.

3. Capel has been there and done that. He has a track record for success. They will be willing to ride it out longer than someone who hasn’t

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
You are correct. The fact is that Pitt is going to give Capel every opportunity to succeed. If anyone thinks otherwise, then your kidding yourself.

1. There is politics involved. - When was the last time Pitt hired an African-American as a head coach for football or basketball? How about a football coordinator? it hasn’t happened. Narduzzi is going into year 6, and you’re giving Capel 3 years? Not happening.

2. It’s expensive to buyout contracts. The big donors have to approve and willing to shell out the payments. A lot of them are African-American as well.

3. Capel has been there and done that. He has a track record for success. They will be willing to ride it out longer than someone who hasn’t
One would think a lot of those big donor African Americans would demand better than what you depict in your point #1

Wouldn‘t one?

Last edited:
One would think those big donor African Americans would demand better than what you depict in your point #1

Wouldn‘t one?
Do you really believe in miracles ? There’s no coach who Pitt can hire that would come in and instantly improve the program . Pitts best chance is that the groundwork of the last 3 yrs pays off . Replacing JC the process all starts over .

Do you really believe in miracles ? There’s no coach who Pitt can hire that would come in and instantly improve the program . Pitts best chance is that the groundwork of the last 3 yrs pays off . Replacing JC the process all starts over .
Maybe you missed it, but most of the three years of building has departed.

We are starting over. The first apple has been chucked as rotten.

Capel is getting a second apple to bite.

Points 1 and 2 are silly.

Reactions: gary2
One would think a lot of those big donor African Americans would demand better than what you depict in your point #1

Wouldn‘t one?

There's the way things should be and then there's the way things are.

You're not naïve, Gary....

Jeff is going to get every opportunity to right the ship. Everything else is wasted energy....

Land a couple good transfer and I promise I will shut up real fast.

Daye and Soriano or Durr and I’m quiet..

Maybe we get in with Bolton or Kalscheur.
Temperamentally, Bolton makes X look like James Robinson.

You seem confused. This is a message board for Pitt fans. People who support the program and want it to succeed.
And this is nothing new, but reasonable (or perhaps sane) people will reserve judgement until all the slots are filled. I’m not exactly excited we still have zero commits for 2021 either but it’s a little too early to get too worked up.

You seem confused. This is a message board for Pitt fans. People who support the program and want it to succeed.
Pitt fans want the team to succeed. I am a Pitt fan. I want the team to succeed.

Pitt fans may have different opinions of what it will take to do that.

This Pitt fan feels “more of the same” is not a likely answer.

Last edited:
Pitt fans want the team to succeed. I am a Pitt fan. I want the team to succeed.

Pitt fans many have different opinions of what it will take to do that.

This Pitt fan feels “more of the same” is not a likely answer.
While we may disagree about the current direction of the program under Capel, this is definitely an acceptable take to have. I respect your opinion since, if I recall correctly, you felt the same way about Stallings through year two. You’re consistent in your views.

You said it best: at the end of the day, we all want what’s best for Pitt.

Reactions: gary2
Maybe you missed it, but most of the three years of building has departed.

We are starting over. The first apple has been chucked as rotten.

Capel is getting a second apple to bite.
I’m not talking about current players , but the high school kids ,their parents and coaches !

I’m not talking about current players , but the high school kids ,their parents and coaches !
OK - Understand

Much like the Birch taking a scholarship away and then leaving causing us to lose ground in both Philly and Canada, does all the transfers cause Capel to “lose” ground with the recruiting relationships he has made?

OK - Understand

Much like the Birch taking a scholarship away and then leaving causing us to lose ground in both Philly and Canada, does all the transfers cause Capel to “lose” ground with the recruiting relationships he has made?
I can’t see Pitt being a big player in Alabama or wherever AKC is from !

If Pitt was the only program having these issues I’d agree. .

Birch was a huge loss for the program, losing a top ten kid sent out a message to other highly rated kids , reneging on the Philly kid was a really bad move by JD showing that their word meant nothing . These have zero in common with the current situation.

Birch was a huge loss for the program, losing a top ten kid sent out a message to other highly rated kids , reneging on the Philly kid was a really bad move by JD showing that their word meant nothing . These have zero in common with the current situation.
Zero in common? You sure about that?

Don’t think we need to worry about burning recruitingcontacts in Mali, but who knows?

Where AKC attended school might be another matter

Zero in common? You sure about that?
Birch played what 10 games here , he was ostracized by his teammates who were jealous of the attention he received ( I personally saw this at Greentree on 2 different occasions) .

Toney , X and Trey all have inflated expectations of their talents and all three seemed to be horrible teammates . Losing X and Toney will affect next season , but not the future of the program . The young guys coming in however will .

Don’t think we need to worry about burning recruitingcontacts in Mali, but who knows?

Where AKC attended school might be another matter

Coulibaly attended a few different schools since he came over, and I’m sure those coaches understand that kids move around more today than they did in the past. He also told pghsportsnow that he liked the coaching staff and it wasn’t personal.

The one I’d be more concerned with is Xavier (or, rather, his more outspoken father), considering how well-respected X seems to be in the DC area...but even then, X was calling Capel the most underrated coach in college basketball a month before he transferred, so I’m not sure if the transfer will result in him or his camp bad mouthing the staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT