ADVERTISEMENT

Miami’s Cristobal: QB Tyler Van Dyke ‘has a great chance to be back’ for Pittsburgh

Makes no sense from Van Dyke's perspective, as I assume there's a 0.0% chance he's back in Miami next season. Why risk injury in a meaningless game for a coaching staff that probably hasn't done you any favors this season?

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Miami has been struggling to get bowl eligibility all season

Guys… they aren’t good. Pitt shouldn’t be psyched out or afraid of them. Just for reference they got pummeled by Duke.

Last edited:
Reactions: PittPharm2002
Miami needs a win to be bowl eligible.
Don’t see them going quietly Saturday.

My dad keeps saying the same thing (them being inspired to become bowl eligible), and I keep arguing that half their team would probably rather just lose and get this season over with. Maybe I'm completely wrong. But I assume a bunch of them are planning on transferring anyway. And the $400-value bowl gift bags don't exactly carry as much weight as they used to when so many are getting NIL money these days. That's like Junior from Problem Child getting the $5 he earned in allowance and acting happy when he has a bunch of "dirty money" already stashed in the drawer.

I could absolutely still see them being a problem. But I don't see any of them doing the Aaron Donald bowling gesture after the game if they win.

Reactions: TD_6082
My dad keeps saying the same thing (them being inspired to become bowl eligible), and I keep arguing that half their team would probably rather just lose and get this season over with. Maybe I'm completely wrong. But I assume a bunch of them are planning on transferring anyway. And the $400-value bowl gift bags don't exactly carry as much weight as they used to when so many are getting NIL money these days. That's like Junior from Problem Child getting the $5 he earned in allowance and acting happy when he has a bunch of "dirty money" already stashed in the drawer.

I could absolutely still see them being a problem. But I don't see any of them doing the Aaron Donald bowling gesture after the game if they win.
Depends how sophisticated the NIL contracts are. Do they get bonuses merely for being bowl eligible, like the coaches do? And how lucrative are those bonuses? Plus, do they get paid before the season or after completion of it, and does that include participation in the bowl game? Those would all be factors.

Miami has been struggling to get bowl eligibility all season

Guys… they aren’t good. Pitt shouldn’t be psyched out or afraid of them. Just for reference they got pummeled by Duke.

To be clear, Pitt or its coaches certainly arent afraid of Miami. But that has very little to do with us winning this game. I think Miami can shut down our running game. So, then you rely on our passing game getting points. Miami has fast athletes as dbacks that make errors, and not sure our receivers and QB can exploit that. I am a Pitt die hard and I think its a bad matchup with our offense, and I thought Duke was a good matchup for us.

I think our defense is good, and will be OK, but I still think we will give up 21 to Miami. I am not saying we will lose, there is a tiny chance that our QB can actually play a tremendous game, or the ball bounces our way, or the refs hate Miami, who seem to get worse calls than us even.

My dad keeps saying the same thing (them being inspired to become bowl eligible), and I keep arguing that half their team would probably rather just lose and get this season over with.

They could have become bowl eligible with a win last Saturday and they came out and laid a complete egg. 30 rushing yards, 68 passing yards, 98 yards of total offense. I mean sure, they weren't likely to beat Clemson in any event, but they didn't even bother to show up.

Miami needs a win to be bowl eligible.
Don’t see them going quietly Saturday.
yes, the rare chance at a trip to the Poulan Weedeater bowl against some MAC team has them salivating...who the hell would want to chill on South Beach when the chance to head up to some empty freezing rain venue up north is so close you can taste it..

yes, the rare chance at a trip to the Poulan Weedeater bowl against some MAC team has them salivating...who the hell would want to chill on South Beach when the chance to head up to some empty freezing rain venue up north is so close you can taste it..

It's hilarious that a win might send a team to somewhere like Boise or Detroit in winter, while a loss keep you in sunny Miami.

Was there a more disappointing QB this year? Big things were expected from Van Dyke and he just didn't have it.

Was there a more disappointing QB this year? Big things were expected from Van Dyke and he just didn't have it.

Kedon%20Slovis.jpg

The play that cost us the year. Slovis was throwing well until that play. If it wasnt for that roughing the passer, that wasnt called, he would not have been injured, they would not have the late FG, and we win the game, going 2-0 and having a healthy QB.
Pretty much…

Plus the non flagged interception bullshit play. Slovis doesn’t make that throw without the flag and free play.

Pretty much…

Plus the non flagged interception bullshit play. Slovis doesn’t make that throw without the flag and free play.

Yeah, forgot about that play. That has never been explained. Clear holding/PI and picked up for no reason. $EC refs

The play that cost us the year. Slovis was throwing well until that play. If it wasnt for that roughing the passer, that wasnt called, he would not have been injured, they would not have the late FG, and we win the game, going 2-0 and having a healthy QB.
You are right about this. It gave him PTSD and I’m not joking. It is intriguing to think what would have gone down in this alternate scenario.

I disagree with the notion that it changed him as a QB, as some have suggested. I was noticing this stuff even before that. I think it's just easier for the fans to swallow if they attribute it all to that.

You'll notice how Joey David laughed at that post 2.33 months ago and then literally said the same exact thing today.

However... I agree we would have won that game with him. Would that have changed the season? Very possible.

That tennessee loss which was one of the worst one sided officiated games I ever saw ,I believe attributed to our disappointing season

That tennessee loss which was one of the worst one sided officiated games I ever saw ,I believe attributed to our disappointing season
Not really. I mean we lost to a really good team. That should not be the reason we lost to Georgia tech and look to have an offense that can’t pass for a TD. Instead we are giving a RB 748 carries a game and letting him get beat up that he might not make it through another game.
If anything that loss should have given these guys the drive to kill everyone. GT loss is what contributed to a disappointing season.

The only really questionable call I remember is the tenn who stepped out of bounds and came back for a td

I would say there was at least a few questionable late hits on the Pitt QB's. Calls that you see made often in games as roughing the QB. I also think the picked up pass interference flag that ended up with a pick off in the end zone was very questionable. As other have said, assuming Slovis saw that flag, he tried to make a pass he wouldn't normally. We will never really know if that is what went through his head, but a referee needs to be positive what he saw in that situation or what happened can happen.

The only really questionable call I remember is the tenn who stepped out of bounds and came back for a td
There was no bigger call than the flag that was picked up when Slovis threw the INT in the end zone. He was looking for Mumpfield who got tackled after beating his man. He rolled out and threw one up for grabs knowing a flag was thrown.

It's not like they didn't throw a flag and missed it. I don't know how you pick that flag up. The DB got caught flat footed and grabbed Mumpfield with both arms as he was running past him.

The interference likely saved a TD, and picking up the flag cost us potential points in a game we were already leading 10-0. Tenn promptly when down the field and scored to make it 10-7.

There was no bigger call than the flag that was picked up when Slovis threw the INT in the end zone. He was looking for Mumpfield who got tackled after beating his man. He rolled out and threw one up for grabs knowing a flag was thrown.

It's not like they didn't throw a flag and missed it. I don't know how you pick that flag up. The DB got caught flat footed and grabbed Mumpfield with both arms as he was running past him.

The interference likely saved a TD, and picking up the flag cost us potential points in a game we were already leading 10-0. Tenn promptly when down the field and scored to make it 10-7.
Ah yeah that was the other
I can’t remember if it was ruled a tip that’s why the flag was picked up

Yeah, forgot about that play. That has never been explained. Clear holding/PI and picked up for no reason. $EC refs
Hot mic caught the $EC back judge telling the $EC referee he had the Pitt receiver falling down BEFORE the hold

The video shows the Pitt receiver did not start falling down until AFTER he had been grabbed and the grab was in fact what caused him to fall down

It was pure southern fried $EC officiating B$

Last edited:

Nah. Slovis was never playing at a very high level. Pitt didn't really have any crisp sustained drives in the WVU or UT games, and those two teams are really weak in their back 7.

Also, I can't remember specifically, but I seem to recall 2 or 3 WTF type throws against the Vols that bounced around like a pinball before resulting in a catch.

Besides, he's not the first QB who was concussed. Others come back and don't have their whole season turn to crap.

Not trying to knock the guy too hard. I hope he comes back & I'm not throwing in the towel on his development into a solid QB. He's had some flashes here and there, but they have mostly been few and far between.

They picked up the flag on Tennessee defensive holding on the int in the end zone and they allowed a Tennessee Wr to run out of bounds then catch a long TD. Two MASSIVE calls.

Reactions: Pittnerski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT