ADVERTISEMENT

Miami is all that?

I thought he had it in his arms for a second and then it was pried out with one hand by the Miami defender. But it wasn’t clear for sure. Given the call in the field was a TD the call in the field should have stood.

At the 12 second mark his butt hits the ground and there’s a little of a bounce up at the 13 second mark from the impact of the ground.

He’s immediately looking like he’s trying to grab something out of his left pocket with two hands and bring it back to his chest. His arms/hands go to his chest at the 15 second mark.

On the sideline view his ass hits the ground at 32 second mark. His arms are to his chest at the 34 mark. So we still have the same two second window that matches the front field view. But the ball isn’t coming with them. It’s clearly moving.

So the second he hits the ground he’s fighting to bring the ball to his chest to secure the catch, and we can see from the sideline view that that doesn’t happen. His arms go to his chest, but the ball doesn’t.

That’s what I’m seeing at least. And looks pretty clear from those angles.

Nope. Just watched it again. I'm pretty sure he didn't control it all the way but pretty sure isn't conclusive. It was called a TD, it should've been a TD.
Let’s put it this way

That game happens in Blacksburg exactly the same as it happened and they leave it a TD no one is even talking about it other than being an amazing finish. There was no conclusive anything argument to be made.

At the 12 second mark his butt hits the ground and there’s a little of a bounce up at the 13 second mark from the impact of the ground.

He’s immediately looking like he’s trying to grab something out of his left pocket with two hands and bring it back to his chest. His arms/hands go to his chest at the 15 second mark.

On the sideline view his ass hits the ground at 32 second mark. His arms are to his chest at the 34 mark. So we still have the same two second window that matches the front field view. But the ball isn’t coming with them. It’s clearly moving.

So the second he hits the ground he’s fighting to bring the ball to his chest to secure the catch, and we can see from the sideline view that that doesn’t happen. His arms go to his chest, but the ball doesn’t.

Does he need to bring the ball to his chest and secure it for it to be a catch? Say he has control with the ball at his waist, comes down and hit the grind, and then it pops loose as he tries to resecure it. Is that a catch?

Nope. Just watched it again. I'm pretty sure he didn't control it all the way but pretty sure isn't conclusive. It was called a TD, it should've been a TD.

This is where I am at. The issue isnt whether or not you think he had possession or not. The issue is whether there is clear and indispensable evidence that he didnt. If you showed that play to 100 people, if 1 of them thinks he had possession, the evidence isnt clear and indisputable.

I'm not sure I understand what is a catch anymore because of the inconsistent interpretation of the rules, but this replay is the first I saw the play and I saw the VT hit the ground with possession and then the ball was knocked loose. I would've called it a catch based on the original ruling on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT