ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Young at Center

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
I would not completely write off Mike at center moving forward. I think we can all agree on a couple of things. First, Mike Young would be better off at power forward right now. Also, Talib Zanna had a really good year last year.

The main difference is that Talib did it as a fifth-year senior, and Mike is doing it in his second year. Both are about the same size, and I think Mike is performing fairly well given the circumstances. As Mike gets more experience, he should be able to handle the position even better in the future.

Obviously adding a center and taking some pressure off of Mike is critical. One of the issues Pitt will face moving forward is that two of their best players, Mike and Jamel, play the same position. They are also in the same class. Both needing major minutes, the staff needs to figure out what they would prefer - Jamel at small forward or Mike at center. To me, if I had to choose, I would say Mike at center. Obviously Jamel could develop his perimeter skills even more, but I don't think there is a problem with this front court. They are just sophomores and it will be less of an issue moving forward.

I can really see Mike improving in the post, and he seems to be learning on a game-by-game basis. In college, there aren't many Jahlil Okafor's in the country. That is why you can get away with a Talib Zanna or another power forward at center. It may not be ideal this year, but I do think it can work in the future. I just think it is easy to overlook the fact that Talib did it in his fifth year, while Mike is in his second year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News