ADVERTISEMENT

Mintz is really good

I like Mintz. I do. I would love to have him. I think he is going to be a good player. But what I like better is having a couple of 22-23 year old men playing guard and able to control the game.

There are some similarities between Dior and Mintz which is probably a good discussion point. They are volume scorers that can carry a team on offense. The one enormous difference between the 2 players is, Dior Johnson was the best rebounding guard in the entire recruiting class that loves to push the fast break in transition off those rebounds and Mintz doesnt try to rebound the ball.

Dior is not a good 3 point shooter either. I think some folks may think he is, but unless he has made substantial improvement, he is average as a 3 point shooter. However, Dior is a killer in the transition game.

And that is fine....though my god those two quick jacks down the stretch I wanted to strangle him.
Yeah it’s something you’d think a 5th + player would understand game situation a bit better
It’s one thing to be confident in your shot -
But getting the 2 on 1 to the rim or setting up the offense we’re far better options

Nelly is playing well -But he’s a small combo guard - not a point
In my view, he is the person the team looks to most to keep things under control. He leads the team in assists as well. He is a point guard that is most responsible for "running the show" provides leadership,, that also shoots well, I guess that is also a "combo guard ::) . Nelly keeps everyone calm. they trust him. when he is out, the team is not as organized. shows up in +/- difference with him on the court.

If you watched that game and didn’t see the talent that kid has I have to question your judgement. He‘d look tremendou in a Panther uni .

His shot will get better the kids the real deal .

Last edited:
If you watched that game and didn’t see the talent that kid has I have to question your judgement. He‘d look tremendou in a Panther uni .

His shot will get better the kids the real deal .
He may never be a great shooter, but, he is going to be a damn good player at both ends. Some are just jaded because he defected. In fact, if the Cuse continues to trend down, I can see him in the portal where some bigger names come calling. I guess we will see...

He may never be a great shooter, but, he is going to be a damn good player at both ends. Some are just jaded because he defected. In fact, if the Cuse continues to trend down, I can see him in the portal where some bigger names come calling. I guess we will see...

Yea, I see Mintz transferring to a big time program. Crazy that Syracuse isnt one.

Yea, I see Mintz transferring to a big time program. Crazy that Syracuse isnt one.
Cuse is in the same predicament Pitt was in before Jamie left. The team is in decline and isn't getting the Same caliber recruit it once did. The ACC has done it no favors either. Their coach is old and needs to be replaced. I am betting they won't replace the legend, like Pitt did, with an aging has been from a middling program.

Cuse is in the same predicament Pitt was in before Jamie left. The team is in decline and isn't getting the Same caliber recruit it once did. The ACC has done it no favors either. Their coach is old and needs to be replaced. I am betting they won't replace the legend, like Pitt did, with an aging has been from a middling program.

Being in the ACC is no disadvantage. I hate when I hear that. Rutgers, SHU, Prov, and Nova turning into a blue blood hurt them

I don’t think he was implying that Rutgers, SHU and Prov turned into a blue blood, only Nova. He included those 3 only as teams that got good and that hurting Pitt’s recruiting.

Correct.

Rut, SHU, and Prov (and late Chambers PSU) really hurt Pitt and Syracuse. Also Larranaga pulling kids from NE corridor.

He is carrying the Syracuse offense with points and with the highest usage rate on the team.

Mintz hasnt shot the 3 well. I agree fully.

His midrage game is at 36% for the season. I fully expect this to go up significantly. That is opinion of course on my part, but he was lethal in AAU from midrange and he takes a ton of midrange shots.

He is 77% from the line.

His efg is low at 44%.

His overall FG % is 43%. Considering he is carrying their offense, I would consider that quite good for a freshmen.

He can't rebound, and he didnt try to rebound in AAU either.

Really, the only thing holding him back is the 3. He's been better than probably any of us would have expected as a freshmen, myself included.

How does Carrington compare to Mintz?

How does Carrington compare to Mintz?

Both love the midrange game. Mintz is more 15 feet and in, Carrington more 10 feet and out. A lot more dribble penetration by Mintz to the inside, although Carrington loves the pullup jumper.. Far, far better 3 point shooting ability from Carrington. Both had big EYBL and Peach Jam Tournaments in high school. Mintz the better scorer coming in to college, Carrington the more rounded player with rebounding, assists, steals, defense, etc.. Both have proven to take games over against Elite Competition. Carrington a year young for his class, his upside is tremendous at the college level.

Mintz is more of a scoring 2 guard learning to play point. Carrington is a 2 or 3 with some ability to play backup point. Mintz is about 6'3. Carrington is now about 6'6 and has a huge wingspan. I had Mintz tabbed as a top 50 high school player in the country, which was my own evaluation I posted on this boad. Carrington should be a top 60 4 star recruit which is what I said last summer after the peach jam.

Both have all acc league potential. Mintz is going to end up a big miss. Carrington is going to end up a big win for the staff.

Both love the midrange game. Mintz is more 15 feet and in, Carrington more 10 feet and out. A lot more dribble penetration by Mintz to the inside, although Carrington loves the pullup jumper.. Far, far better 3 point shooting ability from Carrington. Both had big EYBL and Peach Jam Tournaments in high school. Mintz the better scorer coming in to college, Carrington the more rounded player with rebounding, assists, steals, defense, etc.. Both have proven to take games over against Elite Competition. Carrington a year young for his class, his upside is tremendous at the college level.

Mintz is more of a scoring 2 guard learning to play point. Carrington is a 2 or 3 with some ability to play backup point. Mintz is about 6'3. Carrington is now about 6'6 and has a huge wingspan. I had Mintz tabbed as a top 50 high school player in the country, which was my own evaluation I posted on this boad. Carrington should be a top 60 4 star recruit which is what I said last summer after the peach jam.

Both have all acc league potential. Mintz is going to end up a big miss. Carrington is going to end up a big win for the staff.
Sounds like he grew a good bit

Sounds like he grew a good bit

Yea. Over the summer he was about 6'4-6'5. He is listed at 6'6 at St. Francis. And he clearly has an inch or 2 over Jahnathan Lamothe, his teammate and a 4 star recruit, that we recruited previously. Lamothe is listed at 6'4.

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT