ADVERTISEMENT

Mintz is really good

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Major L for BballinsiderfromPitt as he continuously said how overrated he was when he was committed to us. Mintz didn't play great last night but you can see the guy has "it." Looks like he's going to be a star.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Major L for BballinsiderfromPitt as he continuously said how overrated he was when he was committed to us. Mintz didn't play great last night but you can see the guy has "it." Looks like he's going to be a star.
He can’t shoot. He doesn’t play defense. He went to Syracuse because of this. He’s gonna average 15 on a losing team. There are holes like this guy on every team. Kinda like someone else I took a “Major L” on that has turned out to be completely right on…

He’s also a clown and not easy to root for like the guards we currently have. If we were relying on Judah Mintz and Dior johnson to save Capel’s job instead of Elliot and Cummings he’d have already been fired.

Last edited:
He can’t shoot. He doesn’t play defense. He went to Syracuse because of this. He’s gonna average 15 on a losing team. There are holes like this guy on every team. Kinda like someone else I took a “Major L” on that has turned out to be completely right on…

He’s also a clown and not easy to root for like the guards we currently have. If we were relying on Judah Mintz and Dior johnson to save Capel’s job instead of Elliot and Cummings he’d have already been fired.
Yes. He shoots a lot.

I'll let you guys dook
it out on this topic,
but the guy is talented.
However, pure talent is
sometimes not enough.
I agree with Bballins.on
his poor shot and poor
defense. He can easily
improve his D, by hard
work and hustle....,but
will he do those things
or is he too much of a
prima donna? BTW, D
is usually measured by
how well you do in man-
man. That's not what
he's going to get at Cuse.

IMO he's very talented,
but he has his worts, and
as a true Frosh, they'll be
exposed. Let's see how he
develops over time.

I'll let you guys dook
it out on this topic,
but the guy is talented.
However, pure talent is
sometimes not enough.
I agree with Bballins.on
his poor shot and poor
defense. He can easily
improve his D, by hard
work and hustle....,but
will he do those things
or is he too much of a
prima donna? BTW, D
is usually measured by
how well you do in man-
man. That's not what
he's going to get at Cuse.

IMO he's very talented,
but he has his worts, and
as a true Frosh, they'll be
exposed. Let's see how he
develops over time.
He’s talented, he wouldn’t have worked here and is gonna play on a bad team there. I don’t want high volume players

He’s got a bit of the McGowens thing from his freshman year where he way oversells contact to get to the line. I think officials will pick that up on a scouting report and stop whistling, just like what happened with Trey. Especially on the road. He’s a gifted scorer, but he hasn’t had to adjust yet and I’m not sure Syracuse’s system is going to set him up well for that. Also a much less tenacious defender than it seemed like he was scouted to be when he was committed here.

Very talented. Cant shoot yet. Needs coaching/refinement. But outside of the Mickey D's guys, you wont find many more guards as talented as Mintz. He does need to learn to play basketball however.

Reactions: mo cheeks
He’s talented, he wouldn’t have worked here and is gonna play on a bad team there. I don’t want high volume players
You might be right about
his not working out here
If he were here, there's
no doubt in my mind he'd
be running Capel's pg
oriented offense that I've
criticized for years on here.

The one thing we don't know
is will he shed the prima donna
rep and become less "volume"
and more team oriented. I'm
wondering if he'll be like X
was his first few years, It took
X three years, a transfer, and
a new no nonsense coach to
get him to change for the
better? Mintz?...we'll see.

Last edited:
12.5 shots and averaging 9 FTs a game and averaging slightly under 15 points? Not good, not good.
I agree his defense and shot aren’t that good although his ability to get in and around the key and convert in midrange jumpers when there was way better than his 3-pt or other outside shot.

What I don’t understand is how you say averaging 9 FTs a game is bad?

I agree his defense and shot aren’t that good although his ability to get in and around the key and convert in midrange jumpers when there was way better than his 3-pt or other outside shot.

What I don’t understand is how you say averaging 9 FTs a game is bad?
I’m saying that he’s averaging 9 FTs and another almost 13 shots and averaging 14.6 points. That’s not efficient in the least bit and doesn’t projecting to be a winning player. He should be averaging 18 with that many shots per game

Reactions: NCanton Panther
I’m saying that he’s averaging 9 FTs and another almost 13 shots and averaging 14.6 points. That’s not efficient in the least bit and doesn’t projecting to be a winning player. He should be averaging 18 with that many shots per game

Needs to learn how to play but he's very very talented. Way better than you made him seem. Has 1st team All ACC potential. Reminds me of a young Isaiah Wong.

He’s got a bit of the McGowens thing from his freshman year where he way oversells contact to get to the line. I think officials will pick that up on a scouting report and stop whistling, just like what happened with Trey. Especially on the road. He’s a gifted scorer, but he hasn’t had to adjust yet and I’m not sure Syracuse’s system is going to set him up well for that. Also a much less tenacious defender than it seemed like he was scouted to be when he was committed here.
Lots of Trey in his game. In an ideal world he'd be coming off the bench to fill in for an older more mature guard.
He's fun to not like when he's on the other team

I agree with the getting to the line and how much that will continue going forward.

I think that was the case with both Trey and X. Freshman year I think both of them were at or near the top of the ACC in FT attempts. But that didn’t continue in later years.

He doesn’t play defense ?
He had 5 steals in the game and grabbed 5 rebounds compared to Edward’s 9.

I think your take here is weird
We’d be a helluva lot better team with either Mintz or hood-schifino running out point

We’d be a helluva lot better team with either Mintz or hood-schifino running out point

He leads the entire acc in steals per game at 2.3 per game. He also has the highest steal rate in the entire acc conference. He actually has a top 5 in the country steal rate for all freshmen nationally.

While were on rates, he has an assist rate of 25 as a true freshmen, which is also quite good for a freshmen.

I won’t argue with that last statement. Obviously the younger group has more potential, but Burton and Nelly is exactly what Pitt needed. Guards who simply want to win.

Mintz won’t be going the line the 10 times he currently averages. That’s a ridiculous rate. He does a really good job at drawing contact, but outside of that, he’s not much of a threat shooting.

I won’t argue with that last statement. Obviously the younger group has more potential, but Burton and Nelly is exactly what Pitt needed. Guards who simply want to win.

Mintz won’t be going the line the 10 times he currently averages. That’s a ridiculous rate. He does a really good job at drawing contact, but outside of that, he’s not much of a threat shooting.
Yep. And he’s good at steals because he is an ideal fit for Cuse’s 2-3 zone with his athleticism and wiriness. I don’t think he’d fit a man to man scheme as well. Hence why he was a good fit for Cuse. Can do what he wants on offense and defense.

Honestly reminds me of Trey McGowens.. I don’t think he would’ve helped Capel save his job too much. All over the place despite his talent/athleticism and not easily likeable. Seems like one to cause trouble if he isn’t getting what we wants either, but that may be too judgemental.

Give me the veteran guards we have all day.

Honestly reminds me of Trey McGowens.. I don’t think he would’ve helped Capel save his job too much. All over the place despite his talent/athleticism and not easily likeable. Seems like one to cause trouble if he isn’t getting what we wants either, but that may be too judgemental.

Give me the veteran guards we have all day.

Seems smoother and less "herky jerky" than McGowens. McGowens came across as a straight up athlete learning to play basketball. Mintz isnt a finished product by any means but he seems more refined than Trey at this point.

Reactions: Wanstash21

I kinda thought he was pretty good all around, (He's a freshman) but I only seen him play for about 10min in a previous game.

Needs to learn how to play but he's very very talented. Way better than you made him seem. Has 1st team All ACC potential. Reminds me of a young Isaiah Wong.
This is like when you made Marcus carr out to be a sure fire nba player.

Good player potentially, but you’re way overblowing this

Reactions: Ski11585
Mintz is very talented, great athlete. still, on this pitt team, Nelly is so much better. Mintz would not "run the point", as he has no clue how to "run the point" at his time in his career. Nelly runs the point, Brandin Knight ran the point, as did several very good point guards under dixon. I do wonder if Capel could control him, get him to be team oriented.

Mintz is very talented, great athlete. still, on this pitt team, Nelly is so much better. Mintz would not "run the point", as he has no clue how to "run the point" at his time in his career. Nelly runs the point, Brandin Knight ran the point, as did several very good point guards under dixon. I do wonder if Capel could control him, get him to be team oriented.
Nelly is playing well -But he’s a small combo guard - not a point

He at least has a good shot. McGowens couldn't shoot a lick.

One of those two as a freshman, 76.4% on ones, 46.8% on twos and 32.7% on threes. The other one as a freshman, 76.7% on ones, 47.5% on twos and 18.5% on threes.

Which of those is the good shot and which can't shoot a lick?

I think Mintz is a talented player. In fact I think that there's a decent chance that someday he'll be as good as he thinks he is.

Probably not any time soon, but someday.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
One of those two as a freshman, 76.4% on ones, 46.8% on twos and 32.7% on threes. The other one as a freshman, 76.7% on ones, 47.5% on twos and 18.5% on threes.

Which of those is the good shot and which can't shoot a lick?

I think Mintz is a talented player. In fact I think that there's a decent chance that someday he'll be as good as he thinks he is.

Probably not any time soon, but someday.

Let's be realistic.

ORTG

Mintz- 106
Mcgowens- 99.5

Usage Rate

Mintz-28.2
Mcgowens-23

Assist Rate

Mintz- 25.1
Mcgowens- 13

Turnover Rate

Mintz- 13
Mcgowens-22

The quite amazing thing about this, is that Mcgowens freshmen year was actually his best year in college which are the stats above. And Mcgowens played against one of the weakest non conference schedules I have ever seen ranking 344th in the country, Once teams figured out Mcgowens couldnt do anything besides the transition game and drive, his stats nosedived. Mintz has a lethal midrange game.

Mintz is going to be the acc freshmen of the week for the 3rd straight week in a row. The guy is good, lets face it.

• Haha
Let's be realistic.

ORTG

Mintz- 106
Mcgowens- 99.5

Usage Rate

Mintz-28.2
Mcgowens-23

Assist Rate

Mintz- 25.1
Mcgowens- 13

Turnover Rate

Mintz- 13
Mcgowens-22

The quite amazing thing about this, is that Mcgowens freshmen year was actually his best year in college which are the stats above. And Mcgowens played against one of the weakest non conference schedules I have ever seen ranking 344th in the country, Once teams figured out Mcgowens couldnt do anything besides the transition game and drive, his stats nosedived. Mintz has a lethal midrange game.

Mintz is going to be the acc freshmen of the week for the 3rd straight week in a row. The guy is good, lets face it.

We weren't talking about any of that kind of stuff. We were talking about his shooting. We can pretend that Mintz is a great shooter all we want, but at this point he hasn't actually showed it on the court, so we'd just be pretending.

And I did say that there's a decent chance that he will become as good as he thinks he is today, and he thinks that he is really, really good today.

We weren't talking about any of that kind of stuff. We were talking about his shooting. We can pretend that Mintz is a great shooter all we want, but at this point he hasn't actually showed it on the court, so we'd just be pretending.

And I did say that there's a decent chance that he will become as good as he thinks he is today, and he thinks that he is really, really good today.

He is carrying the Syracuse offense with points and with the highest usage rate on the team.

Mintz hasnt shot the 3 well. I agree fully.

His midrage game is at 36% for the season. I fully expect this to go up significantly. That is opinion of course on my part, but he was lethal in AAU from midrange and he takes a ton of midrange shots.

He is 77% from the line.

His efg is low at 44%.

His overall FG % is 43%. Considering he is carrying their offense, I would consider that quite good for a freshmen.

He can't rebound, and he didnt try to rebound in AAU either.

Really, the only thing holding him back is the 3. He's been better than probably any of us would have expected as a freshmen, myself included.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT