ADVERTISEMENT

Moe-bservations ACCT 5 Pitt vs 13 GT

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
-- As I mentioned the other day, I was out of town (mini vacation) and had no access to a TV

-- DVR'd the game to watch late this evening

-- Got a text from a good friend right after the game ended, congratulating me on Pitt's win ... well (as I told him) at least I knew I could watch the game stress-free!! 😂😀

-- So, upon review, I did watch stress-free. But had I watched in real time I probably would've felt a bit uncomfortable; especially when GT took a 52-50 lead after we turned the ball over and stopped playing D, early in the second half

-- Reflective thoughts:
1) we got the ball to Fede (and later to the twin) to take advantage of our height/inside
2) Jamarius played a full game with excellent moves and assists. He proved why he's a first team ACC choice, and our MVP
3) Greg Elliott woke up after a two-game hibernation and hit all 4 of his threes; got some key rebounds, and made his free throws at the end
4) Nelly made some key drives and scores
5) Blake nailed a three under a minute to play that for all intents and purposes sealed the deal
6) All 5 starters scored in double figures
7) we made a high percentage of FT's; always a key in a tournament game

As @DT_PITT alluded to in his dribbles, I too will not dwell on Pitt's mistakes in this game. I also hope, as others said in other posts, that today's win will allow the team to be more free in tomorrow's game vs Duke. I think they're safely in the NCCAT

But let's not forget that Pitt had an 11 point lead at Cameron earlier this season, and got blown out in the second half. Duke is playing even better now, and will have a huge fan following @ Greensboro. It will take Pitt's best effort to beat the Dookies. I look for a great game regardless of the outcome; a win will be huge for sure

-- As I mentioned the other day, I was out of town (mini vacation) and had no access to a TV

-- DVR'd the game to watch late this evening

-- Got a text from a good friend right after the game ended, congratulating me on Pitt's win ... well (as I told him) at least I knew I could watch the game stress-free!! 😂😀

-- So, upon review, I did watch stress-free. But had I watched in real time I probably would've felt a bit uncomfortable; especially when GT took a 52-50 lead after we turned the ball over and stopped playing D, early in the second half

-- Reflective thoughts:
1) we got the ball to Fede (and later to the twin) to take advantage of our height/inside
2) Jamarius played a full game with excellent moves and assists. He proved why he's a first team ACC choice, and our MVP
3) Greg Elliott woke up after a two-game hibernation and hit all 4 of his threes; got some key rebounds, and made his free throws at the end
4) Nelly made some key drives and scores
5) Blake nailed a three under a minute to play that for all intents and purposes sealed the deal
6) All 5 starters scored in double figures
7) we made a high percentage of FT's; always a key in a tournament game

As @DT_PITT alluded to in his dribbles, I too will not dwell on Pitt's mistakes in this game. I also hope, as others said in other posts, that today's win will allow the team to be more free in tomorrow's game vs Duke. I think they're safely in the NCCAT

But let's not forget that Pitt had an 11 point lead at Cameron earlier this season, and got blown out in the second half. Duke is playing even better now, and will have a huge fan following @ Greensboro. It will take Pitt's best effort to beat the Dookies. I look for a great game regardless of the outcome; a win will be huge for sure
The Elliott 3 pointers were absolutely huge in the 2nd half when Pitt was up 60-59 and 65-63. Both instances gave Pitt a 4 and 5 point cushion and GT while they made a few pushes they never really got that close after Pitt went up 68-63 and then 70-63 after a Diaz Graham dunk. Those 2 Elliott 3’s I thought in those moments in the game were huge and a big reason that lead to this win.

Duke will have more fans than us but if the game is close, everyone not associated with Duke will be pulling for Pitt. And the Greensboro coliseum doesn’t carry noise like MSG or even the Charlotte arena.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
With the way Duke is entering the post-season and how they are trending, they just aren't the same teams we were beating by 11 at Cameron. They're much better. I hope we are, too.

With the way Duke is entering the post-season and how they are trending, they just aren't the same teams we were beating by 11 at Cameron. They're much better. I hope we are, too.
They have Roach now, too. He didn't play vs Pitt in the first game when he was out injured.

Pitt has to really focus on D and defensive rebounding.

Then limit turnovers and make shots. This won’t be an easy one but Pitt is capable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT