ADVERTISEMENT

Momentum is a fickle girl

And after Capel has been left for dead, even his biggest naysayers (myself included), would be hard pressed to not be impressed.

Here’s hoping Dior makes it the entire season and this team gels and we finally have winning hoops back in the Pete!!!
He's done well recruiting a new team, that's just half the battle, the other half for him is a winning record an NCAA or NIT and not have half the team disgruntled and heading to the portal in March 2023.

Basically I agree with this.
The follow up question
however is.......What's
the better scenario?
The talent we had with
no depth, or the depth
we currently have with
some legit talent? IMO
Johnson's addition in
addition to Hugley gives
us legit talent. I also feel
that Burton and Sibande
are decent, (not great)
ACC talent. The rest as
I've repeatedly posted is
Average.

With all that said, the
best we could hope for,
is that some of that
AVERAGE talent is maybe
better than that. I have no
idea how good or bad
Fede, the twins, Hinson,
or McNeilly will be. Santos
and Jeffress...so far not
much.
This is pretty much what I think except I don’t think Nike or Burton are league average ACc guards i think they’re both believe average and the 4 is a gaping hole until we know how many mins or if Hinson can play. They may have to go super small

Horton wasn’t top end talent. Not even close. They had a good trio with little depth.
Obviously I agree with that considering during the year Capel kept saying he was the best scorer in the ACC I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard… BUT… he would’ve been a nice compliment to those 3 as a 4th option had he been used correctly

Since Capel arrived, for the most part we’ve looked like a poorly coached team, had player issues, etc.
He’s had some good players and his recent recruiting looks pretty good on paper.
Here’s hoping he can pull it together. If not, we have nothing….

This is pretty much what I think except I don’t think Nike or Burton are league average ACc guards i think they’re both believe average and the 4 is a gaping hole until we know how many mins or if Hinson can play. They may have to go super small
Yeah, I see Nike and Burton
a little better, however I
see that "gaping hole" at
the 4. My guess is Capel
is going to closely watch
who can be effective
there. On paper I like
Hinson, but there are
questions regarding his
availability. I have no
idea about the twins.
If left with Jeffress at,
the 4,we definitely will
struggle. Fed = Hugley's
back up.

If we have to go "super
small," it'll work against
certain line ups. To me
"super small" would be
Johnson, Burton, Sibande,
another guard, and
Hugley. IMO it will never
will never work over the
course of 40 minutes in
ACC games.

Yeah, I see Nike and Burton
a little better, however I
see that "gaping hole" at
the 4. My guess is Capel
is going to closely watch
who can be effective
there. On paper I like
Hinson, but there are
questions regarding his
availability. I have no
idea about the twins.
If left with Jeffress at,
the 4,we definitely will
struggle. Fed = Hugley's
back up.

If we have to go "super
small," it'll work against
certain line ups. To me
"super small" would be
Johnson, Burton, Sibande,
another guard, and
Hugley. IMO it will never
will never work over the
course of 40 minutes in
ACC games.

1) It depends what Burton that we get. The Burton from December 3rd through February Feb. 5th last year was easily good enough to be an all league player in the ACC, he was consistently good for 2 straight months with excellent stats and excellent efficiency. He consistently produced at a high level against ACC teams. Then Burton decided to play like Jeffress on offense the last 9 games of the season and his efficiency and stats both turned terrible. How does he respond next year? He certainly has the potential. But can he sustain it for a full season or most of the season instead of just 2 months?

2) I think Cummings is better than people think. He played a number of ACC teams last year, just look at what he did against teams like Pitt, Syracuse, NC State, Wisconsin in the NCAA Tournament etc... I mean, he was the best player and the leading scorer and captain on an NCAA Tournament team that put up 20 / 6 /6 in the NCAA Tournament against Wisconsin.

3) I have other issues with Hinson. He will be just fine to play. He was a 4 star Top 100ish kid in high school. He can score. But his rebounding is arguably worse than Coulibaly. And are we putting out other players to play with him that are not strong rebounders besides Hugley? Having him as a full time 4 spells potential trouble for our team rebounding. That is why I am hoping for the twins to be ready early, the size difference, the rebounding difference, and the 3 point shooting.

Basically I agree with this.
The follow up question
however is.......What's
the better scenario?
The talent we had with
no depth, or the depth
we currently have with
some legit talent? IMO
Johnson's addition in
addition to Hugley gives
us legit talent. I also feel
that Burton and Sibande
are decent, (not great)
ACC talent. The rest as
I've repeatedly posted is
Average.

With all that said, the
best we could hope for,
is that some of that
AVERAGE talent is maybe
better than that. I have no
idea how good or bad
Fede, the twins, Hinson,
or McNeilly will be. Santos
and Jeffress...so far not
much.

I think the additional guard depth will create a less is more scenario for Burton, at least I hope so.

I think the additional guard depth will create a less is more scenario for Burton, at least I hope so.
Yeah, Burton played almost 35 minutes a game last year. It was clear that he wore down physically as we got into the back half of the conference schedule. 25 minutes a game sounds right for him, and might make a world of difference.

Yeah, Burton played almost 35 minutes a game last year. It was clear that he wore down physically as we got into the back half of the conference schedule. 25 minutes a game sounds right for him, and might make a world of difference.

This could be it that he was worn down. He did start the season injured too. I cant comment a whole lot since I was unable to watch the last 6 or so games of the season when Burton collapsed as I had other things going on.

I hope these new guys can play defense besides scoring. It won't matter much if they give up more points than they score.

We'll see what Capel can do with this group of players. If he can't coach these guys to a +0.500 overall record, he has more problems than we thought and he should be gone. On paper, these guys are pretty good.

This could be it that he was worn down. He did start the season injured too. I cant comment a whole lot since I was unable to watch the last 6 or so games of the season when Burton collapsed as I had other things going on.
He actually averaged almost 36 minutes a game in conference play last year, and played less than 30 minutes in only three conference games (and two of those were the Duke and Notre Dame blowouts late in the year). He played all 40 minutes in just as many conference games.

No player can handle that effectively and not wear down, especially a guy who was coming off an injury. The Ironman aspect of it is admirable, but it’s an insane level of usage that can’t possibly exist this year.

He actually averaged almost 36 minutes a game in conference play last year, and played less than 30 minutes in only three conference games (and two of those were the Duke and Notre Dame blowouts late in the year). He played all 40 minutes in just as many conference games.

No player can handle that effectively and not wear down, especially a guy who was coming off an injury. The Ironman aspect of it is admirable, but it’s an insane level of usage that can’t possibly exist this year.
Burton proved to me last
year that he's a player. I
hadn't thought of the
minutes played. Given
what we had, (Sibande
injured, Horton out and
Femi hot and cold) he had
to be on the floor. He had
some very good games,
the St. John's win at the
Garden being one of them.
He clearly was the best