ADVERTISEMENT

Most Overrated vacation place you visited.

Yeah, been to Maine quite a bit. You wonder why lobster is so expensive here, because they are abundant there.
Their airplane ticket, and handling expenses are a lot of the added expense.

Fun Fact to know about lobsters. Males have larger "swimmer" fins on the bottom, and they have a hard shell on them. Females have smaller, soft shelled "swimmer" fins. Male on left, and female on right. The male's swimmer fins are right above the man's thumb, and the females are right across from it.
male-vs-female-lobster-720x454.jpg

Reactions: USN_Panther
Detroit...It was rundown with a lot of abandoned houses and empty lots and folks walking around aimlessly....I don't understand the hype
Why would anyone voluntarily go to Detroit on vacation? It is a hellhole.

When I worked on Capitol Hill as an aide to a Senator from Michigan, I had to go there twice. I would never go back.

Why would anyone voluntarily go to Detroit on vacation? It is a hellhole.

When I worked on Capitol Hill as an aide to a Senator from Michigan, I had to go there twice. I would never go back.
Detroit and its southern suburbs really well.....it might as well be Beirut or Mogadeishu. In some places, literally. But the west and north suburbs are quite nice. Old money. Rolling green hills, Grosse Point and those areas also are some of the nicest areas on the Great Lakes.

I’ve been to Paris at least a dozen times and never tire of it. And, I probably don’t speak 20 words of French.

Without question, it has the most beautiful and worth visiting public buildings in the world. I still haven’t seen all of the museums I would like to see there. In May, we spent a week there at an AirBnB in the 7th Arrondissement on the Left Bank. We walked to the Rodin Museum and Napoleon’s Tomb, neither of which we had visited before and also visited two other museums. One had a special photography exhibit, and Masha is a photographer. It was an extraordinary exhibit of mainly candid photographs taken in Asia. It was located less than a block from where we were staying, so we went back for a second visit the afternoon there was a lot of rain. We also saw the Pantheon for the first time.

The food was a little uneven — some very good meals and some mediocre ones — but I think part of that is due to expectations. You really expect every meal there to be outstanding.

Even after a dozen visits, there still is a lot I haven’t seen, so I hope to visit again.

Although this thread is supposed to be about overrated vacation destinations, let me mention three small cities which I think are very underrated:

First, Edinburgh, which has been mentioned here.

Second, San Sebastián on the Atlantic Ocean in the Basque Country in Spain. Great food and lots to see in the surrounding areas. The city itself doesn’t have that much sightseeing, but you can take day trips to Biarritz in the French Basque Country, to the Basque vineyard country and to Bilbao, the capital of the region which has an amazing Guggenheim Museum.

Third, Antibes on the French Riviera. While adjacent Cap d’Antibes has some of the most expensive hotels in the world, Antibes in much less expensive and has great food at moderate prices. Plus, you can splurge for a day and buy a day pass to use the private beach facilities of one of the mega-expensive hotels for a reasonable price if you avoid the weekend.

Also, we have enjoyed every resort town we have stayed at on the Costa del Sol in Spain. We usually rent an apartment for a week and if you avoid the height of the season it’s much cheaper than a hotel. We’ve stayed in Nerja, Fuengirola, Marbella and Estepona and the one we enjoyed the least was Marbella, which was the most expensive. The one caveat is that in Barcelona and Sitges (40 minutes west of Barcelona) they have done away with the beach clubs on the public beaches. You used to be able to go and get two loungers with beach umbrellas, order drinks from waiters who walked through the area and eat at the club restaurant for about 20 Euros, which I consider far better than dragging your own beach chairs, umbrellas and towels there. But, those cities no longer rent space on the beach to those clubs. Now, you have to go to one of the hotel beach clubs, where, not surprisingly, the cost has gone from $30 or $40 per person to as much as $500. I don’t know if that also has happened on the Costa del Sol.

Reactions: West Coast Panther
Went to Jersey Shore, Wildwood Crest for the first time ever. I really didn't like it, everything was too spread out, you needed a car to get to every restaurant or store from our hotel. I prefer being able to walk places and not needed to find parking a couple times a day.

Most overrated vacation destination is West Virginia. Yeah, I know everyone says it sucks but even still, overrated.

The food in Paris that I found myself eating more than others was from small bakeries. I stopped for breakfast every day at a pastry shop just outside the hotel. Many other meals were quick bread-based foods. I’m not into long French dinners.
I was waiting for someone to mention the pastry. Their patisserie's are works of art. And the Paris-brest is second to none. I'm sure the two legged kind aren't bad either.

What would be the reason to go to Palm Springs or Palm Desert other than golf? Not being sarcastic, never been there and not sure what else "touristy" they'd have there.
The serenity of the surrounding mountains. We love Palm Springs. It definitely has that mid century vibe and you feel that at any time Kirk Douglas will be driving down the street in a powder blue convertible with Marilyn in the passenger seat. There are a boat load of great restaurants there and quite frankly the town is very accepting of all people. So everyone can feel they belong and enjoy it. Less than a forty minute drive away you can go to Joshua Tree National Park which has way more mystic vibe than a place like Sedona. You can actually see the San Andreas faulted that is pretty awe inspiring. And when you are done with the day at J-Tree head on over to Pioneertown and go to Pappy and Harriet’s. In particular if it is near Coachella time you may actually catch a big name act in one of the coolest dive bars around. And their food is absolutely amazing. If you have any worries they just disappear in PS. You look around at the mountains and realize they don’t care about your trivial problems and it puts it in perspective. If you are staying there awhile it is only a two hour drive to one of the LA beaches. I love sitting at a beach in the sun and not even sweating.

Palm Springs basically developed because it was two hours away from the Hollywood studios and the actors back then had contracts with stipulations that they were always available within two hours if called.

But as someone else said a vacation is what you make of it. Even though I said Sedona was over rated there are some really great places to eat that are outside of town and have amazing views of the rocks and a sunset dinner there is mesmerizing.

In general it has been other family members who have ruined any vacation we were on. That is why I absolutely never go to a multi family vacation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT