ADVERTISEMENT

Most Overrated vacation place you visited.

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
Where have you gone that was totally overrated or disappointed you greatly? Explain and give details.

Mine: Aspen. So overcrowded and densely packed. Touristy and yet filled with one percenters. Imagine Walnut Street multiplied a thousand times or soho transplanted to the Rockies. The traffic to, from, and in Aspen is horrendous. Parks take parking reservations for you to plan a hike. Insanity. Patagonia and leggings/ yoga pants galore, but few people actually getting a workout. lame. I prefer outdoor places that actually focus on the outdoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeydavid
Where have you gone that was totally overrated or disappointed you greatly?

Mine: Aspen. So overcrowded and densely packed. Touristy and filled with one percenters. Imagine Walnut Street multiplied a thousand times or soho transplanted to the Rockies. The traffic to, from, and in Aspen is horrendous. Parks take parking reservations for you to plan a hike. Insanity. Patagonia and leggings/ yoga pants galore, but few people actually getting a workout. lame. I prefer outdoor places that actually focus on the outdoors.
Dublin. Reminded me of Pittsburgh. The outskirts were nice but the city itself was nothing to write home about. Wished we went to the Irish West Coast/Galway instead.

St. Barts- it's basically a mini Rodeo Drive on an island. Nothing remarkable for the cost of staying there.

Dublin. Reminded me of Pittsburgh. The outskirts were nice but the city itself was nothing to write home about. Wished we went to the Irish West Coast/Galway instead.
Pittsburgh if it had 100 years of civil strife .

other than having a fresh Guinness and getting my Irish Whiskey certification at Jameson’s- its just a normal city -
Having pints and good restaurants - agree it’s not much to see
Edinborough Scotland on the other hand is beautiful .

The rim of the Grand Canyon.

Completely awed when first viewed, but the view stays basically the same no matter where you go. Its a long drive for about an hour's worth of awesomeness. I love to hike but my knees won't allow me to climb out so I couldn't go down.

On the other hand, I would love to float the canyon for a week.

Completely awed when first viewed, but the view stays basically the same no matter where you go. Its a long drive for about an hour's worth of awesomeness. I love to hike but my knees won't allow me to climb out so I couldn't go down.

I don’t know - we went to the West Side and ate lunch with the tribe and was blown away .

Reactions: Dan1911
Grand Canyon was nothing special, even though it's hyped so much. I've been to lesser known canyons and parks and they are much nicer than the Grand Canyon.

For a beach, Myrtle Beach is just too much honkie tonk and too commercialized and way too crowded. And the beach is crap compared to where we go now. We were there for a day and got the hell out of there and stayed down the coast about 75 miles for that vacation. Never again.

Adding hikes and archaeological activities help. The bottom of the canyon is like 120 degrees at Phantom ranch. Miserable. My girlfriend collapsed from the heat. I ran up the canyon, got a ranger. they couldn't land a chopper where she was. I ran back down to her And she was evacuated on mule. I ran up behind the mule. I added the distances and ran a marathon that day in the dead of summer. One of my last marathons, ever.

• Wow
Reactions: moose121 and NCPitt
Orlando for sure. It's only attraction is that they built a bunch of stuff there (amusement park, restaurants, etc). There is no beach, lake, mountains, canyons, natural wonder, etc. It's just a big mall.
Universal is the only reason we went , and that was really cool .
But the drive to and from the airport makes your point

Reactions: 303vND
Lol. Those were meant to be 2 independent thoughts.

FL is OK for a short stay to get away from the cold here but Mexico is much better for that purpose.

That said- Universal Studios is top notch imo.
Yeah Florida, for whatever reason, is a place that has little appeal to me.

Disneyworld. But I will qualify to say that is in the heat of summer. We went once in early March probably 15 years ago and it was great. Low crowds, temps in the low 80's, low humidity.

Although I don't think there is an off peak with Disney anymore.

Vegas. I absolutely hate Vegas.

I agree. I've been to Vegas a few times, mostly on business and once with friends using their condo. They can keep it. Unless you're a big time gambler and like losing money, it's not a destination. I'll never go back for any reason.

I always said Myrtle Beach is great if you under 20 or over 70.

I'm over 70 and I'll never go to Mrytle again. I can name some better beaches with better golf in SC that I'd prefer and travel to regularly. Not Hilton Head any longer. It's nice there but was much nicer 20 or 30 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT