ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple Teams decline NIT, not Pitt alone

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
When UNC refused the NIT last year, I don’t recall much, if any, angst.
Pitt is joined by IU, Oklahoma, St Johns, Memphis, Washington and Ole Miss.
Other than St Johns, I don’t know how much of a gripe the other teams have.
I love our decision. If I can’t go in the front door, I refuse to enter through the back door.
Never let anyone else determine your self worth.

If the team didn't want to compete for the NIT title, then, by all means, decline the invitation. I was at that GW game back when. No sense in a repeat of that. Whether they should want to compete for the NIT title is another question/debate.

When UNC refused the NIT last year, I don’t recall much, if any, angst.
Pitt is joined by IU, Oklahoma, St Johns, Memphis, Washington and Ole Miss.
Other than St Johns, I don’t know how much of a gripe the other teams have.
I love our decision. If I can’t go in the front door, I refuse to enter through the back door.
Never let anyone else determine your self worth.
Even more teams decided to keep competing: LSU, Georgia, Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas State, Utah

• Haha
Reactions: happjack
Any doubt in the correctness of refusing was erased upon learning that Mr. Crean Jeans suggests otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: HOF Coach
Any doubt in the correctness of refusing was erased upon learning that Mr. Crean Jeans suggests otherwise.
Nice ad hominem. I guess Crean was also wrong when he was all over Pitt during the FSU game broadcast. Care to try to address any of his actual points?

I'm totally bummed about it. I get UNC who usually makes the tournament. But we were in the wilderness for more than half a decade. So any post season is better than none. But if they players collectively said no...what is Capel supposed to do? Go ahead without them? And then watch half the team leave via portal? I guess we will see what really happened in the upcoming months. But I suspect the players who matter the most and could transfer were the ones who stood up and said "Hey we are coming back next year to win the conference. But we don't want to play in the NIT this year."

I mean we only have 8 healthy guys and I’m assuming Hinson wants to get ready for the combine and draft. Bub is going to have a decision too.

That leaves us 6 and KJ.

Even more teams decided to keep competing: LSU, Georgia, Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas State, Utah

F this clown, he's only saying this because ESPN is pissed that so many teams declined. It's not 1952, the NIT is meaningless and useless, it's purely time filler for ESPN.

Reactions: pittbb80
I mean we only have 8 healthy guys and I’m assuming Hinson wants to get ready for the combine and draft. Bub is going to have a decision too.

That leaves us 6 and KJ.

That's what would be interesting. How many of Pitt's players would actually have played in the NIT? Probably not Hinson. And if Bub is seriously considering jumping to the NBA, he probably wouldn't play either. Maybe not even Ish or Jaland either.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would have been there rooting for whoever played for Pitt because they're Pitt. Now we just wait and hope that Bub and Jaland stay and the portal is productive for us.

The players and coaches have been practicing and playing for over 6 months now. Isn’t it understandable that they would decide against spending another week or 2 competing in a meaningless tournament?

I don't have a problem if the team decided that this wasn't worth their time. They are the ones putting in the sweat equity - not us sitting in our club level seats.

Secondly, they feel slighted and all the work they put in to get back to where they should have been in the tournament with nothing to show for it.

Pitt is right now a top 35 team. No one will ever convince me that a top 35 team shouldn't be in the NCAAT while teams that are maybe ranked lower than 100 are. Pitt is #4 in the ACC. How can a top 4 ACC team not be in the NCAAT? What screwball made these decisions? F the metrics, the Q whatever, the NET garbage. They don't tell you which teams are the top 64 teams.

Reactions: Pitt79

lol Tom Crean the bastion of integrity. Wonder if that rant was because his employers are not happy that the meaningless exhibition has fewer legit teams which further destroy what ratings the exhibition would have had

I have no issue with it. It’s a long season, players and coaches invest so much effort trying to make the NCAA Tournament and win a championship. Winning the NIT is obviously not important to them.

You do realize Indiana turned down NIT (2017) & CBI (2014) bids under Tom Crean's watch, right?

Tom Crean being inconsistent is nothing new, though.
They actually played in the 2017 NIT, they just turned down hosting a game, which I don't agree with either based on the reasoning in that article, but they still played and lost to Georgia Tech on the road.

I have more respect for this group, representative of all the power conferences, too bad we didn't have the drive to join them and compete for another week or 2.

That leaves us 6 and KJ.
It's not football, danger of injury is minimal, playing 2-3 more games would contribute to getting ready.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT