ADVERTISEMENT

My Friend Harve74

CCHS82

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2007
I’ve had the honor of calling Harve Dailey my friend for the past 33 years.

In that time, we shared many Pitt stories, celebrated lots of victories, and experienced what seems like more than our fair share of losses. We took a few road trips together (NCAA tourneys, Bowl games), and spent far too many hours on the phone discussing strategies, recruits, coaching hires, etc. We spent so many hours on the phone together that his family would just answer the phone and say, “Here he is Frank.” I apologized to his wife and kids yesterday while visiting for cutting into their family time so much over the years. They laughed.

As many of you Lair members know, Harve always had time to talk with someone and listen to their take on things. He didn’t always agree but he would sure listen and would always give you his STRONG opinion on things! As Recruits pointed out in one of his posts, Harve had a knack for telling you that you were wrong but doing it in a polite, respectful way. Harve was a dignified man.

I can’t tell you how many times Harve has “talked me down off the ledge” after a tough Pitt loss. He was always the voice of reason and perspective. Harve was a few years older than me with a few more miles on the tires. I relied often on his life experiences to help me in mine. We were both fortunate enough to coach our kids and others in different sports. He shared many tips and helped me in my coaching “career”. I thank him for his good advice.

I have to tell you how impressed I am by how many Lair posters have expressed their condolences and shared their Harve stories here today. The posts have been spot on too with describing Harve. I am amazed at the number of posters who Harve had engaged with in offline conversations. He truly enjoyed speaking with folks and listening.

Harve would be surprised and quite embarrassed at having four different Lair threads written about him!

I will deeply miss my friend. I will miss being able to call him up to bitch about a dumb call or to celebrate a great victory. His son said that he got to see the UCF game and actually perked up when they won. I will miss celebrating future Panther victories with him.

Harve and I had season tickets together for football and basketball for many years. He dropped basketball a few years ago but kept his FB tickets. We have a great tailgate group in Red Lot 7A. We will all miss him terribly but have hope that we can shoot the breeze again someday and share a Mark77 burger from the grill!

I will miss high fiving him after a Panther TD or a 3-point FG. I will miss stealing his FB game program to figure out what number a player is. I will miss meeting him at the “O” before a hoops game. I will miss getting the inside scoop from so many contacts that Harve had built up over the years.

I will miss my friend but as I told him yesterday, we will speak again. It may be a while but we will get caught up on things and we will have a good time.

Rest in Peace my friend. God bless and Hail to PITT!

In that time, we shared many Pitt stories, celebrated lots of victories, and experienced what seems like more than our fair share of losses. We took a few road trips together (NCAA tourneys, Bowl games), and spent far too many hours on the phone discussing strategies, recruits, coaching hires, etc. We spent so many hours on the phone together that his family would just answer the phone and say, “Here he is Frank.” I apologized to his wife and kids yesterday while visiting for cutting into their family time so much over the years. They laughed.

As many of you Lair members know, Harve always had time to talk with someone and listen to their take on things. He didn’t always agree but he would sure listen and would always give you his STRONG opinion on things! As Recruits pointed out in one of his posts, Harve had a knack for telling you that you were wrong but doing it in a polite, respectful way. Harve was a dignified man.

I can’t tell you how many times Harve has “talked me down off the ledge” after a tough Pitt loss. He was always the voice of reason and perspective. Harve was a few years older than me with a few more miles on the tires. I relied often on his life experiences to help me in mine. We were both fortunate enough to coach our kids and others in different sports. He shared many tips and helped me in my coaching “career”. I thank him for his good advice.

I have to tell you how impressed I am by how many Lair posters have expressed their condolences and shared their Harve stories here today. The posts have been spot on too with describing Harve. I am amazed at the number of posters who Harve had engaged with in offline conversations. He truly enjoyed speaking with folks and listening.

Harve would be surprised and quite embarrassed at having four different Lair threads written about him!

I will deeply miss my friend. I will miss being able to call him up to bitch about a dumb call or to celebrate a great victory. His son said that he got to see the UCF game and actually perked up when they won. I will miss celebrating future Panther victories with him.

Harve and I had season tickets together for football and basketball for many years. He dropped basketball a few years ago but kept his FB tickets. We have a great tailgate group in Red Lot 7A. We will all miss him terribly but have hope that we can shoot the breeze again someday and share a Mark77 burger from the grill!

I will miss high fiving him after a Panther TD or a 3-point FG. I will miss stealing his FB game program to figure out what number a player is. I will miss meeting him at the “O” before a hoops game. I will miss getting the inside scoop from so many contacts that Harve had built up over the years.

I will miss my friend but as I told him yesterday, we will speak again. It may be a while but we will get caught up on things and we will have a good time.

Thank you.

Reactions: CCHS82
My thoughts are prayers are with him and his family, including you and others that he was close with.

Didn’t get to interact with him much but it sounds like he was a great Pitt Man.

Thank you so much for sharing this. He truly was always a voice of reason. How lucky that you got to be his friend for so many years.

Harve - Hail to Pitt.

That was a beautiful tribute. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Harve but I believe he would honored and humbled at your words.

Well done!

I talked about Harve's passing with my wife tonight (never met him in person, but always enjoyed his activity on the Lair), and showed her the "Pitt Special" replay. She suggested that we name this play after him. I think that is a great idea. This was the Pitt memory that he took to Heaven. The "Harve Special" has a good ring to it.

Did you and Harve sit in 208 at the Pete years ago?

Thanks for posting . Great post ! I really enjoyed my interactions with Harve. He had great knowledge of sports and hoops in particular. Really understood strategy, small items beyond the average fan that suggested he played a lot of hoops competitively. We tended to agree more often than not. He was a voice of reason when the board was losing it during a loss or a bad run.

Wish I had met him. The negative of not living in Pittsburgh.

We did! I assume that you did too. Hopefully, I didn’t spill any nachos on you by accident!
I sat behind you. Harve was a big bear of a man, yes? I would chat with him a little. He really knew his basketball, was incredibly informed. His wife was nice. I am so sorry for your loss and his family's loss.

I sat behind you. Harve was a big bear of a man, yes? I would chat with him a little. He really knew his basketball, was incredibly informed. His wife was nice. I am so sorry for your loss and his family's loss.
Yes. Harve was indeed a big man. Always had a beard that made him look even more intimidating. Gentle giant though unless you ticked him off!

Thank you CCHS82 for sharing that beautiful post about Harve. I am very sorry for the loss of your dear friend: an amazing panther fan who appears to also have been quite a special human being.

May the wonderful memories the two of you shared over the years replay in your mind as vividly and as often as the “Pitt Special” will be replaying in the minds of Panther fans everywhere.

Man I was not aware that Harve had passed until I saw this thread. That is shocking and terrible news. I never met him but I have enjoyed, respected and appreciated his posts and his insights for years, even in disagreement. He was one of the most reasonable, thoughtful and genteel people on the Lair.

RIP to one of the good ones, thoughts and prayers to his family and close friends. I’ll certainly miss his insights and reasonable presence on the board.

Yes. Harve was indeed a big man. Always had a beard that made him look even more intimidating. Gentle giant though unless you ticked him off!
I had probably 20 or so private conversations with him.

To show you what kind of guy he was: I am not a paid member. Harve and I have never met. Twice I asked Harve to be my intermediary and initiate a private conversation with another poster. He agreed both times. He acted on my behalf and the interactions became more than a little complicated. I appreciated that immensely. A truly great guy.

Thanks for the post; it was very moving. I won't pretend to know Harve outside of a handshake or two at gamewatches, but what I know and have read through the years it was quite clear he was a great guy. Sadly, I'm sure we shared a great many experiences since our birthdays are only a few months apart and it would have made for great discussion. My loss.

Our boards lost a legend.

Enjoyed Harve’s posts and insights on Pitt BB.

Didn’t know him at all but found his obituary. Besides the info on his family, I found it interesting that Harve was a chemist and held several patents.

You did well, Harve!

Enjoyed Harve’s posts and insights on Pitt BB.

Didn’t know him at all but found his obituary. Besides the info on his family, I found it interesting that Harve was a chemist and held several patents.

You did well, Harve!
Very humble guy. And good friend to many.

Thanks, Frank. Great post.

Pour Harve’s favorite drink at your tailgate Saturday. Let it sit there untouched and leave it be as you head into the stadium.

I really enjoyed the tribute and follow up comments. Thanks for sharing.

Harve was one of my favorites. I hate to hear this.

Message board fodder is just that. I sometimes use it for entertainment, or just for shits and giggles.

As human beings , I love you all and wish you nothing but the best in your personal lives. I hope everyone here knows that.

ADVERTISEMENT