ADVERTISEMENT

My O.C. Stadium Proposal

This is the winner!!!

All these years, I never thought you could wedge a stadium in there but you just proved you could.

So, you mean to tell me that Pitt can fit a stadium on land WE ALREADY OWN and all we have to do is rip down an ugly outdated library that needs replaced anyway because of an outlet shortage and the most useless building on campus (Posvar Hall).

Build a new library on the Syria Mosque site, build a new academic/office building on the Syia Mosque site, tear down Hillman and Posvar and get it going.

This should have happened yesterday.

You can't, his picture isn't to scale. Download Google Earth, they have a ruler tool. The Minnesota stadium is roughly a 980' x 850' space. The area he wants to put it is roughly a 650' x 515' space.

Reactions: JoseLind13
You can't, his picture isn't to scale. Download Google Earth, they have a ruler tool. The Minnesota stadium is roughly a 980' x 850' space. The area he wants to put it is roughly a 650' x 515' space.

That's what I thought and why I always thought that park land would have to be acquired.

As for the domed stadium idea, Pitt is not going to play home games in a dome. College football wasnt meant to be played off campus......or in a dome. It just wont happen. A retractable dome? OK, but then you run into the issue of having a cavernous basketball arena with no atmosphere. They cant solve one problem by creating another.

That's what I thought and why I always thought that park land would have to be acquired.

As for the domed stadium idea, Pitt is not going to play home games in a dome. College football wasnt meant to be played off campus......or in a dome. It just wont happen. A retractable dome? OK, but then you run into the issue of having a cavernous basketball arena with no atmosphere. They cant solve one problem by creating another.

are you really suggesting that playing in a domed stadium on campus is as big a negative as renting a field in downtown Pittsburgh?

May I remind you this isnt Ok State with Pickens....or Alabama with the deepest pockets. Im sure Syracuse didnt WANT to build a multi purpose arena....and perhaps Pitt would not want to either......

But to suggest that it wont happen because "CFB was not meant to be played in a dome" reinforces how dense you really are.........

You can't have everything you want, exactly the way you want it! A Carrier dome-like place where the Pete is would be great! They would figure out some way to open (and close) parts of it and let air in when the weather is nice, maybe giant openings on both ends, and when the weather's bad, you won't need parkas or rain gear, it wouldn't be bad at all IMO.. First you want to get on campus, after tarping seats doesn't happen, now you're worried about basketball atmosphere? C'mon, this is the only option where you don't have to demolish half of Oakland.

are you really suggesting that playing in a domed stadium on campus is as big a negative as renting a field in downtown Pittsburgh?

May I remind you this isnt Ok State with Pickens....or Alabama with the deepest pockets. Im sure Syracuse didnt WANT to build a multi purpose arena....and perhaps Pitt would not want to either......

But to suggest that it wont happen because "CFB was not meant to be played in a dome" reinforces how dense you really are.........

Would I rather play in a 70K seat monstrosity on the North Side or a 50K seat dome in Oakland? Probably the Oakland dome......but I am saying you are trading one problem for another. It would be only the 2nd college football dome and it would be so big for basketball, it would destroy any atmosphere we have left for hoops.

I'd rather they be a little more creative with land acquisition.

If there's one thing I'm sure of, its that Pitt isnt building a dome for football.

It would be only the 2nd college football dome

There's more than just Syracuse, I think South Dakota, North Dakota and Northern Arizona all have football domes. They are all I-AA I think, but they do have domes for football.

Good call, I thought I had the right dimensions. Damn!

I rescaled it and I still think you could do it, but you could have to angle it more towards the union building, and take out Posvar, Hillman, DL, Katz, and a bit of the plaza, while also using Clemente field. Physically possible but that's really a lot to ask and not very feasible, IMO.

There's more than just Syracuse, I think South Dakota, North Dakota and Northern Arizona all have football domes. They are all I-AA I think, but they do have domes for football.

Idaho (who is dropping down to 1AA) and Northern Iowa too but those are small 15Kish domes. Basically large HS stadiums covered by a bubble. Not the same

Idaho (who is dropping down to 1AA) and Northern Iowa too but those are small 15Kish domes. Basically large HS stadiums covered by a bubble. Not the same
Still, INDOOR FOOTBALL stadiums. I honestly don't see what would be that bad about it. I bet people would like it and fill it even in bad weather especially if the team was good.

I honestly think it's not happening any time soon anyways, personally, I think the people running the show are OK with the way things are, and it's just fans yelling on the internet that want an on campus stadium.

it's just fans yelling on the internet that want an on campus stadium.

Well, they are doing a feasibility study currently so there is THAT.

Perhaps they are doing it to show us its impossible and can never happen so just shut up and love cavernous Heinz Field, neon yellow seats and all.

Well, they are doing a feasibility study currently so there is THAT.

Perhaps they are doing it to show us its impossible and can never happen so just shut up and love cavernous Heinz Field, neon yellow seats and all.

Possible, though you'd think they would have hired someone cheaper than HOK if that was their endgame.

Possible, though you'd think they would have hired someone cheaper than HOK if that was their endgame.

That's what I'm saying, you dont hire the world's leading stadium building company to tell you you need a band facility, new volleyball locker rooms, and more trainers.

That's what I'm saying, you dont hire the world's leading stadium building company to tell you you need a band facility, new volleyball locker rooms, and more trainers.

They're probably going to tell them that if they want a football stadium, then find somewhere else to play baseball and soccer, and tear down Trees Hall. That is the only way the OC Lot plan works. One end up close to the tower at end of OC lot, the other end where the baseball and soccer fields meet, and the sides along the left field fence on one side and Allequippa Street on the other.

Tear down Fitzgerald and build a massive parking structure, and put parking where softball and soccer fields are, plus west of Trees Hall.

They will say it's not feasible to replace all of that, and the project will sit on the shelf.

It's safe to say that everyone on here wants to see Panther football return to Oakland. The only problem is how? We've heard many ideas: relocate the Frick Fine Arts building, build on the OC lot, build where the current VA Hospital site, nestle a stadium in between the OC lot and The Pete, and tear down the Quad, among others. Some of them are impractical, others are a long shot. All of them, however, have three common complaints:
1) Not enough space to construct a Power 5 stadium
2) Getting in and out of the stadium and Oakland
3) Gameday parking

Obviously I'm not as educated on the campus and its surrounding lands like some of you, but after doing my best attempt at an architectural study, I determined that South Oakland would be the best site for a new on-campus stadium, specifically the land that is between the Boulevard of the Allies and I-376 going north/south and Bates Street and the Panther Hollow train tracks going east/west. This would involve purchasing houses, a few restaurants and businesses, and a playground.

This land would have all three of the common complaints in mind:
1) There would be large enough to construct a 50,000+ seat stadium that would look the part of a Power 5, ACC football stadium. I used Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium as an example and it would fit perfectly into the slot, with enough room for all of the first-class amenities you could ask for and parking around the stadium, which is apart of problem #3
2) The stadium would be accessible by I-376, as you could easily build an exit ramp onto the site. Additionally, the proposed Oakland Transit Connector route would come right near the stadium and would provide another way of getting into Oakland on gamedays.
3) As stated in #1, using the TCF Bank Stadium site as an example, there would be plenty of room to construct of parking spaces around the stadium. In Minnesota, there is enough room for three parking lots around the stadium.

In addition to this, the proposed stadium would be nearby the proposed Almono Development Site which would provide a perfect place to go to before and after games and would not require any re-routing of any roads or streets. Also, since it would not take up any space in Upper Campus, the University could still use that space to construct new athletic and academic facilities, such as the OC Lot or the former Cost Field land. It could also set off a boom in the rest of Oakland, leading to the re-development of much of Central Oakland and the Oakland Square Historic District. This could all come together to create the perfect on-campus gameday experience. One of the only problems I think this would have is coming too close to the railroad tracks, but I think you could implement something like the Twins did at Target Field where you build platforms over the tracks, along both to run smoothly while not interfering with each other.

This is a very vague idea and probably has a lot more flaws than I could think of (such as having to purchase a large chunk of land and getting rid of a very big and old neighborhood), but I just wanted to throw this out there to see what you guys think of it. Hopefully this can lead to some good discussion and new ideas on how we could get football back in Oakland one day.

Hail to Pitt and beat Syracuse!

No Oakland Foortball Stadium! Please! Maybe along the MON next to the parkway but not up in Oakland. Oakland is a terrible idea!. And no 50K Stadium. Size capacity for the big games (e.g., PSU)-- not for the average and low interest games just to avoid the optics of empty seats--if you do anything!!

However, flexi-seating would be okay (e.g., 50-55K Chair backs on sidelines+ 20-25 K retractable bleachers in the end zones).

No Oakland Foortball Stadium! Please! Maybe along the MON next to the parkway but not up in Oakland. Oakland is a terrible idea!. And no 50K Stadium. Size capacity for the big games (e.g., PSU)-- not for the average and low interest games just to avoid the optics of empty seats--if you do anything!!

However, flexi-seating would be okay (e.g., 50-55K Chair backs on sidelines+ 20-25 K retractable bleachers in the end zones).
This can easily happen. If you look at the TCF Bank Stadium concept that I've been using, you could have space to add a couple thousand bleacher sections if the stadium is open-ended.

It's safe to say that everyone on here wants to see Panther football return to Oakland. The only problem is how? We've heard many ideas: relocate the Frick Fine Arts building, build on the OC lot, build where the current VA Hospital site, nestle a stadium in between the OC lot and The Pete, and tear down the Quad, among others. Some of them are impractical, others are a long shot. All of them, however, have three common complaints:
1) Not enough space to construct a Power 5 stadium
2) Getting in and out of the stadium and Oakland
3) Gameday parking

Obviously I'm not as educated on the campus and its surrounding lands like some of you, but after doing my best attempt at an architectural study, I determined that South Oakland would be the best site for a new on-campus stadium, specifically the land that is between the Boulevard of the Allies and I-376 going north/south and Bates Street and the Panther Hollow train tracks going east/west. This would involve purchasing houses, a few restaurants and businesses, and a playground.

This land would have all three of the common complaints in mind:
1) There would be large enough to construct a 50,000+ seat stadium that would look the part of a Power 5, ACC football stadium. I used Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium as an example and it would fit perfectly into the slot, with enough room for all of the first-class amenities you could ask for and parking around the stadium, which is apart of problem #3
2) The stadium would be accessible by I-376, as you could easily build an exit ramp onto the site. Additionally, the proposed Oakland Transit Connector route would come right near the stadium and would provide another way of getting into Oakland on gamedays.
3) As stated in #1, using the TCF Bank Stadium site as an example, there would be plenty of room to construct of parking spaces around the stadium. In Minnesota, there is enough room for three parking lots around the stadium.

In addition to this, the proposed stadium would be nearby the proposed Almono Development Site which would provide a perfect place to go to before and after games and would not require any re-routing of any roads or streets. Also, since it would not take up any space in Upper Campus, the University could still use that space to construct new athletic and academic facilities, such as the OC Lot or the former Cost Field land. It could also set off a boom in the rest of Oakland, leading to the re-development of much of Central Oakland and the Oakland Square Historic District. This could all come together to create the perfect on-campus gameday experience. One of the only problems I think this would have is coming too close to the railroad tracks, but I think you could implement something like the Twins did at Target Field where you build platforms over the tracks, along both to run smoothly while not interfering with each other.

This is a very vague idea and probably has a lot more flaws than I could think of (such as having to purchase a large chunk of land and getting rid of a very big and old neighborhood), but I just wanted to throw this out there to see what you guys think of it. Hopefully this can lead to some good discussion and new ideas on how we could get football back in Oakland one day.

Hail to Pitt and beat Syracuse!

Simple. Bulldoze most of South Oakland... McKee Place and thereabouts. Biggest problem you would encounter is how to handle all the roaches as the evacuate the neighborhood.

They're probably going to tell them that if they want a football stadium, then find somewhere else to play baseball and soccer, and tear down Trees Hall. That is the only way the OC Lot plan works. One end up close to the tower at end of OC lot, the other end where the baseball and soccer fields meet, and the sides along the left field fence on one side and Allequippa Street on the other.

Tear down Fitzgerald and build a massive parking structure, and put parking where softball and soccer fields are, plus west of Trees Hall.

They will say it's not feasible to replace all of that, and the project will sit on the shelf.
Again, this would fit perfectly, but where would you put soccer and baseball/Softball? You couldn't use the Cost Field area since they're adding the Pitt Sports Dome there soon.

I want to see football return on-campus, but I don't want it to eliminate homes for other sports.

Simple. Bulldoze most of South Oakland... McKee Place and thereabouts. Biggest problem you would encounter is how to handle all the roaches as the evacuate the neighborhood.
I know you're being sarcastic, but one of the problems I thought would occur if they put a stadium there is that it would leave a lot of Pitt students stranded from housing. Granted, they could find other places, but I know a lot of students rent out places in South Oakland.

At that point just stay at Heinz. The Hazelwood site is too narrow until you get down by Hazelwood Ave.

Those extra fans for the big games are mainly opposing fans. I say built at 50K and stop selling to PSU fans, etc...who only attend the one game a year. I could care less if opposing and casual fans can't get tickets to the game.

And a 20-25K seat retractable bleacher would be something I'd like to see.

A stadium building company is doing a year long study for "athletics infrastructure." Guess what, they aren't just looking at academic support buildings and a band facility.

The writing is on the wall, people. Gallagher hired Barnes to deliver a stadium. Everybody knows HF is not a long-term solution. We can't even get the Steelers to erase that white ornament at midfield.

Bingo!

This is the OC Lot plan that fits a real stadium.

MVK,

Great job on that. I'm impressed. What software did you use?

I think your scale may be off though and your TCF Bank Stadium is too big. Your stadium looks 30-40% too big for the old Pitt Stadium site, when I have to believe that Pitt Stadium is 20-30% larger than TCF simply because of the track. Size-wise, Pitt Stadium was a track and field stadium....which are enormous. There's no way I believe TCF takes up more space.

MVK,

Great job on that. I'm impressed. What software did you use?

I think your scale may be off though and your TCF Bank Stadium is too big. Your stadium looks 30-40% too big for the old Pitt Stadium site, when I have to believe that Pitt Stadium is 20-30% larger than TCF simply because of the track. Size-wise, Pitt Stadium was a track and field stadium....which are enormous. There's no way I believe TCF takes up more space.

The scale is correct. Google Earth has a ruler tool, I just measured the stadium area that I cut and measured where to place it. It's pretty easy to get the size right on Google Earth due to the ruler.

Minnesota's stadium is alot bigger than Pitt Stadium, even with the track. There wasn't much to the Pitt Stadium bleachers, whereas TCF has the enormous grandstand. Minnesota's stadium takes up a plot of land that's about 1000' x 750'.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Remember, also, that Pitt Stadium was all the way to the street behind the new student housing, not just to the grass to the side of The Pete.

The scale is correct. Google Earth has a ruler tool, I just measured the stadium area that I cut and measured where to place it. It's pretty easy to get the size right on Google Earth due to the ruler.

Minnesota's stadium is alot bigger than Pitt Stadium, even with the track. There wasn't much to the Pitt Stadium bleachers, whereas TCF has the enormous grandstand. Minnesota's stadium takes up a plot of land that's about 1000' x 750'.

How did you paste TCF over the OC Lot though?

How did you paste TCF over the OC Lot though?

Measured it out and saved the ruler lines in a 1000' x 750' box, did a screenshot.

Then measured out the OC Lot, Cost Field, Trees Hall area the same size with the ruler tool and saved the ruler lines. Saved the screenshot.

Cropped the stadium screenshot down to the ruler lines (you can see the red lines in my photo) then pasted it over the OC Lot and sized it to the measurements (red lines) that I saved on the Oakland screenshot.

Seems to be the best way to ensure scale if you want to "place" another stadium on a site for comparison.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
That's a really nice concept. What you could do is move the softball field to Mazeroski Field, make that softball/soccer field a full time baseball stadium, and then find a place for soccer somewhere.

That new football stadium would also house band, at least that's how they do it at the real TCF Bank Stadium. Maybe put soccer on the Syrian Mosque site and the expand and renovate Fitzgerald Field House to house swimming and diving. That just might work.

That's a really nice concept. What you could do is move the softball field to Mazeroski Field, make that softball/soccer field a full time baseball stadium, and then find a place for soccer somewhere.

That new football stadium would also house band, at least that's how they do it at the real TCF Bank Stadium. Maybe put soccer on the Syrian Mosque site and the expand and renovate Fitzgerald Field House to house swimming and diving. That just might work.

Just curious...but how exactly do you renovate Fitzgerald to include swimming and diving?

Post like these are great. He's just shown everyone that a stadium won't fit on that site (as anyone with even half a brain already knew) and you say that it's a "really nice concept".

Sure it is, in much the same way that the person who proposed a stadium that floated on barges in the river came up with a "really nice concept". Completely and utterly unrealistic, but "really nice" none the less.

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
Just curious...but how exactly do you renovate Fitzgerald to include swimming and diving?
I guess somehow expand the back of it and then build up. Maybe put swimming and diving on the first floor and then build a second level that's set up how it is currently with the track, weight room, and volleyball courts, along with an expanded weight room in the back. Unlikely, but that's how you'd have to do it.

Post like these are great. He's just shown everyone that a stadium won't fit on that site (as anyone with even half a brain already knew) and you say that it's a "really nice concept".

Sure it is, in much the same way that the person who proposed a stadium that floated on barges in the river came up with a "really nice concept". Completely and utterly unrealistic, but "really nice" none the less.
The fact that he was able to photoshop a stadium with the correct dimensions into that slot was impressive. It'd be a longshot, but it looks nice and I appreciate the effort. I had no idea how to do that up until he explained it. Besides, it keeps the conversation going.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I guess somehow expand the back of it and then build up. Maybe put swimming and diving on the first floor and then build a second level that's set up how it is currently with the track, weight room, and volleyball courts, along with an expanded weight room in the back. Unlikely, but that's how you'd have to do it.

You guys are some engineering savants, they should put you all on the Route 28 project and it never would have taken 457 years to nearly complete.

I mean that. Seriously.

I'd love to see some redesigns of the Ft Pitt Bridge when you get a sec. I'm sure you have a way to improve 8 lanes to 2 in 300 feet.

You guys are some engineering savants, they should put you all on the Route 28 project and it never would have taken 457 years to nearly complete.

I mean that. Seriously.

I'd love to see some redesigns of the Ft Pitt Bridge when you get a sec. I'm sure you have a way to improve 8 lanes to 2 in 300 feet.
Like I said in the original post, I have a very vague idea of how these things work. I was just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Well to be fair to those people, they don't care about anything except whether a football stadium can physically fit in a space in Oakland so they go there a few times per year. What happens at Trees, Cost Field, Fitzgerald, the soccer field, softball field, and the OC Lot doesn't concern them much, but it's precisely why any plan there will stall out.

Fitzgerald could be spared in the plan, possibly the softball and soccer field too (if you shoehorn the stadium into that space), but then there is zero space to not only replace the OC Lot parking, but no area to add parking either. It would be a tall task to replace Trees Hall (and all of its activities and services) somewhere close to campus too, I suspect.

Like I said in the original post, I have a very vague idea of how these things work. I was just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Look, I know. I'm really not taking a shot at you. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the engineering and financial gymnastics that are required to complete these intriguing suggestions. All of these concepts defy logistical and monetary realities to any unemotional eye.

I wonder if the "Oakland Stadium or Death" crowd will accept the feasibility study's conclusion that building a stadium anywhere near campus is NOT an appropriate use of space and funds? Because I have news for everyone...the odds are 70/30 that will be what is concluded. A conclusion in spite of the heartbreaking memories of metal bleachers and piss troughs of some alums.

Happy Thanksgiving brother.

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
Look, I know. I'm really not taking a shot at you. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the engineering and financial gymnastics that are required to complete these intriguing suggestions. All of these concepts defy logistical and monetary realities to any unemotional eye.

I wonder if the "Oakland Stadium or Death" crowd will accept the feasibility study's conclusion that building a stadium anywhere near campus is NOT an appropriate use of space and funds? Because I have news for everyone...the odds are 70/30 that will be what is concluded. A conclusion in spite of the heartbreaking memories of metal bleachers and piss troughs of some alums.

Happy Thanksgiving brother.

You know that Heinz has piss troughs also? They must have installed them to make old time Pitt fans feel right at home. Unfortunately, the psychology failed.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT