T Sibley - 5.0
V Carter - 3.7

VT - 3 top guys 4.3, 4.4, 4.8
UVA - leader 4.0
Duke - 4.7, 3.8
PSU - 6.1, 5.1
Clemson - 8.3, 6.1 (wow Etienne)
Wisconsin - 6.4, 3.5

So put it this way...do you feel pitt ever established a consistent running game or that most of it was big chunk plays while averaging 2 yards per carry the rest of the game?

Why is it either or? The kid was frustrated with lack of touches, but with Hall and Ollison both producing, what does he expect. That said, Narduzzi has done nothing to get the "trust me on this one" treatment when it comes to evaluating offensive players.
The point is, as with Ollison, it is probably not a matter of "evaluating offensive players" from a talent or capability standpoint. It's much more likely an issue with the player. Bad attitude, talking back to coaches, missing meetings, being late, not practicing hard, missing study table, falling short on team academic standards imposed by the staff, not being a good teammate, routinely blowing assignments in practice, violating internal team policies, etc. etc. etc. That's how players end up in the proverbial doghouse. In any team environment, if a coach lets a talented player get away with those kinds of things because he needs that player on the field, it creates a toxic team environment.

Or it could be as simple as practicing poorly--fumbling a lot, or routinely missing blocks, not running through contact, etc.

So put it this way...do you feel pitt ever established a consistent running game or that most of it was big chunk plays while averaging 2 yards per carry the rest of the game?

I think the running game is like a boxer who goes to the body. It pays dividends as the game/match goes on. We never got that value in the 2nd half, in our defense being able to rest, in our playaction effectiveness, in the RB's ability to get in a rhythm. Last year everyone said KP couldn't get in a rhythm because he only threw on 3rd and long...well we have the equivalent of that in our running game. I would agree with you that we don't have a shady or JC, but % tells us that out of 4 4 stars someone is going to be average to above average at running the ball. I personally believe that is AJ Davis (strong runner great hands... not a speed back and not meant for that style, would have been great in Watson's style like Hall.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I think the running game is like a boxer who goes to the body. It pays dividends as the game/match goes on. We never got that value in the 2nd half, in our defense being able to rest, in our playaction effectiveness, in the RB's ability to get in a rhythm. Last year everyone said KP couldn't get in a rhythm because he only threw on 3rd and long...well we have the equivalent of that in our running game. I would agree with you that we don't have a shady or JC, but % tells us that out of 4 4 stars someone is going to be average to above average at running the ball. I personally believe that is AJ Davis (strong runner great hands... not a speed back and not meant for that style, would have been great in Watson's style like Hall.

I’ll concede, maybe the backs are ok...the line though doesn’t give them a chance to show it. We tried to be mite balanced at the beginning of the year...ran 30 times against UVA and averaged less than 3 yards a carry

Reactions: pittmeister
I’ll concede, maybe the backs are ok...the line though doesn’t give them a chance to show it. We tried to be mite balanced at the beginning of the year...ran 30 times against UVA and averaged less than 3 yards a carry

I agree I'm not defending our Oline as the 2nd coming, but they did have 2 all acc players and looking at the stats...didn't do so bad in the run game....
7 games we rushed it for 36 times or more
of those 7 games ..in 5 we averaged 4.0 or more per carry
of those 7 games ... we were 6-1 (only losing to Miami 3 turnovers)
of the 5 games we didn't rush for 36 carries we were 0-4 with 2.2 YPC

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/pittsburgh/2019/gamelog/

He thought he deserved to play more... Narduzzi thought otherwise...

Excerpts

“I just felt that Pitt was not allowing me the opportunities to present myself on Saturdays that I know I can. I felt as though waiting it out would just be wasting time. Rather than just waiting and working and have more opportunities open up and present themselves to me.”

“It’s all about opportunity,” he said. “My first game against North Carolina, I took my first carry in college football for almost 40 yards. [Ed. note: It was 23 yards.] There’s no way in America that the guy who did that should be on the bench the next play. There’s no way Nick Saban does that.”

The morning that he planned on approaching Narduzzi about his feelings, Salahuddin says that any thoughts on sticking it out at Pitt were dashed after he expressed his feelings.

“When I approached Coach Narduzzi, he didn’t try and talk me out of leaving, which was something I was shocked about. I didn’t say ‘Coach I’m gone,’ I was like it’s a lack of opportunities here and Coach it might be time for us to part ways and he said, ‘Yeah, we can just get your stuff worked out with compliance,’ as if he wanted it to happen.”

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/201...uddin-went-went-wrong-at-pitt-and-whats-next/

Is there any context at all for this article? Is Vuk saying that Narduzzi is a jerk? I mean, I think he is but who cares if he wins, right? Is he suggesting that there is a deeper issue with the coach and his program's ability to attract and keep talent? Does he add anything in the way of possible other examples where this has happened? Has he contacted other transfers to confirm this kind of behavior? I could see sitting on this and running it in two years if the program is struggling and this kid is putting up big numbers somewhere but, now?

As for the kid, I don't mind his attitude. A lot of people have become wealthy and successful because they felt they were better than everyone gave them credit for and walked out with a chip on their shoulder. I'm not defending him but if he really believes he's that good, it's his life. Anyway, I struggle to believe this attitude was news to the staff when they offered him. He could have also found a stooge in Vuk to boost his perception and ran with it. I don't know. I never thought twice about why the kid left. It happens.

Is there any context at all for this article? Is Vuk saying that Narduzzi is a jerk? I mean, I think he is but who cares if he wins, right? Is he suggesting that there is a deeper issue with the coach and his program's ability to attract and keep talent? Does he add anything in the way of possible other examples where this has happened? Has he contacted other transfers to confirm this kind of behavior? I could see sitting on this and running it in two years if the program is struggling and this kid is putting up big numbers somewhere but, now?

As for the kid, I don't mind his attitude. A lot of people have become wealthy and successful because they felt they were better than everyone gave them credit for and walked out with a chip on their shoulder. I'm not defending him but if he really believes he's that good, it's his life. Anyway, I struggle to believe this attitude was news to the staff when they offered him. He could have also found a stooge in Vuk to boost his perception and ran with it. I don't know. I never thought twice about why the kid left. It happens.

Vuk is constantly asking recruits and players to DM him. I would assume this is how this went down.

If you think the primary function of a rb is blocking on pass plays -
We simply will have a difference of opinion

I certainly don't think that how did you come up with that? It's been shown under this coaching staff you have to be an all around complete back to be RB1, something I do agree with. If you're not you will split carries.

Unless you are a dominate runner and putting up 200+ a game, which we certainly don't have, you better be able to run, catch, block somewhat well.

If you think the primary function of a rb is blocking on pass plays -
We simply will have a difference of opinion

Nobody said that in this thread. You're creating a strawman.

Blocking on pass plays is important for a RB. Countless examples of guys who can't get on the field consistently because they can't handle blocking assignments in college or pro ball.

Yes RBs need to be able to block. Can you imagine a RB that everyone knew when he came in the game he was going to get the ball because he could not block!

Blocking on pass plays is important for a RB. Countless examples of guys who can't get on the field consistently because they can't handle blocking assignments in college or pro ball.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

Remember when Issac Bennett splitting carries with a freshman James Conner was the reason Coach was dumb?

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
You're up shit creek as an offense if your primary runner can't pass protect in this day and age.

It's funny, I met ollison awhile back and spoke high praises of Duzz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT