ADVERTISEMENT

Name a band..

May 6, 2017
That maybe you didn't like or were just lukewarm during the height of their career but you've grown to really appreciate now?

Me?

Nirvana - maybe sounds cliche to name one of the biggest bands of all time. I "liked" their music but never took it seriously back in their heyday. Over the past year or so, I've really deep dived on their b-sides and grown to really like them.

Not a band… but John Mayer. Got big into blues music after I took a class on the history of blues music about 15 years ago, and his true blues stuff is fantastic.

-Fleetwood Mac. Always knew the "hits" but a deeper dive into their catolog made me appreciate them more.
-Wu Tang solo albums like GZA (liquid) and Raekwon (cuban links).

and the exact converse is true for Rush, Primus, and Maroon 5

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Not a band… but John Mayer. Got big into blues music after I took a class on the history of blues music about 15 years ago, and his true blues stuff is fantastic.
I worked as a bouncer at Nicks Fat City once upon a time. Mayer played there before he was famous. Id guesstimate is was half filled with about 300 heads or so. I had no idea who he was. He was doing his soundcheck and just tearing up some Chicago flavor blues. Just Fn lighting it up. I was so geeked. Then he went onstage and played a bunch of stuff that wasnt anything like the stuff he was just pissing around doing earlier. Total letdown

First one that comes to mind is Alabama Shakes. Really good (and unique) rock/blues band, but didn’t really get into them until a few years before they dissolved. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a song from them that I haven’t liked.

Reactions: comp_panther
This has definitely happened to me with songs. I'll listen to ones now that used to make me cringe back when they were getting a ton of airplay. Just a few examples that immediately come to mind would be Bittersweet Symphony, Blister in the Sun, Penny on the Floor (still think the lyrics need some work), etc.

I guess I technically used to be lukewarm on Bruce and Bob, before actually delving into their catalogues. But I wasn't alive, or was very young, during the height of their careers.

With 90's bands (sort of my first "era" of music), I've been mostly consistent:

Love - Stone Temple Pilots and Alice in Chains (probably could have added Bush and Green Day to this at one point in time, embarrassingly enough)

Like/Liked - Weezer, Nirvana, etc.

Like a lot of their stuff, but just can't consider myself a fan - Pearl Jam, the Smashing Pumpkins, etc.

I wish there were more 90s bands whose entire catalogues (or at least their first few albums or so) I liked. I remember when we got two new radio stations - the Revolution and the X - and there were just so many great grunge/alternative/etc. songs being made at the time.

Reactions: razzaba
Lynyrd Skynyrd. When I was in HS, hated them and all of those redneck dudes who loved them. Now I realize how incredibly talented they were.
Man I have to agree. I couldn’t stand that stuff and largely still don’t. The Freebird cliched stuff is annoying as hell.

But I was flipping through the channels the other day and “Tuesday’s Gone” was on and I listened. The musicianship and talent are in full display in this song. I don’t know their background but there has to be some classical training in their pedigree. They can’t just be a band formed in a garage who just started jamming.

This one is to be appreciated…maybe best loud and with headphones.

That maybe you didn't like or were just lukewarm during the height of their career but you've grown to really appreciate now?

Me?

Nirvana - maybe sounds cliche to name one of the biggest bands of all time. I "liked" their music but never took it seriously back in their heyday. Over the past year or so, I've really deep dived on their b-sides and grown to really like them.
Skynyrd and Van Morrison.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
David Bowie - my daughter got me into him

Chris Cornell in Soundgarden & Audioslave - never appreciated his work until he died.

Iron maiden - always liked them, but I find a lot of their stuff so much better when I relisten now.

Reactions: Dan1911
U2

In younger days never cared for their music. Looking now, i see an incredible group of musicians who have stood the test of time.

Chris Isaak

Never appreciated the range in his voice. Today, his singing blows my doors off.

winger.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: PITTfanSD
Man I have to agree. I couldn’t stand that stuff and largely still don’t. The Freebird cliched stuff is annoying as hell.

But I was flipping through the channels the other day and “Tuesday’s Gone” was on and I listened. The musicianship and talent are in full display in this song. I don’t know their background but there has to be some classical training in their pedigree. They can’t just be a band formed in a garage who just started jamming.

This one is to be appreciated…maybe best loud and with headphones.

Gotta disagree with you on the Free bird reference . In fact when you mentioned the classical influence it was the keyboard player Billy Powell who’s huge presence on that particular rock classic who was classically trained as a youngster . His playing , especially on free bird clearly exemplifies that …. Just sayin ….

Gotta disagree with you on the Free bird reference . In fact when you mentioned the classical influence it was the keyboard player Billy Powell who’s huge presence on that particular rock classic who was classically trained as a youngster . His playing , especially on free bird clearly exemplifies that …. Just sayin ….
I’m glad you responded with what you did. I figured there had to be some classical training going on there. Lots of talent. In addition to the musicianship, the production in some of the songs like freebird and Tuesday’s gone is really good too.

As far as Freebird, it’s obviously a good song. But it just is too cliched with the over saturation of it and then at every public event some dork thinks it’s cool to yell Freebird. That’s what’s annoying.

Reactions: mike 301
I’m glad you responded with what you did. I figured there had to be some classical training going on there. Lots of talent. In addition to the musicianship, the production in some of the songs like freebird and Tuesday’s gone is really good too.

As far as Freebird, it’s obviously a good song. But it just is too cliched with the over saturation of it and then at every public event some dork thinks it’s cool to yell Freebird. That’s what’s annoying.
Under the right circumstances it can be quite funny to yell Freebird.

Oh I agree . Plus their live version is about 15 minutes too drawn out but it was there finale .. Always hated the boob(s) yelling it out at some irrelevant concert but I remember when I had my first beer …

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT