Louis. 2-0
Wake. 1-0
Clem. 1-0
BC 0-1
NC ST. 0-2
FSU. 0-0

Lost to Clem in Championship Game

Conf. records, of: 6-2, 5-3, 3-5, 6-2, 4-4, 2-1 - One Division Championship
Does this record get a coach fired or even on the hot seat?

Can't find an easy link, but believe Pitt only trails Clemson, Vir.Tech, Miami and FSU over the period Narduzzi has been head coach.

Last edited:
Does this record get a coach fired or even on the hot seat.

Can't find an easy link, but believe Pitt only trails Clemson, Vir.Tech, Miami and FSU over the period Narduzzi has been head coach.
For what it's worth, Wannstedt's conference record was only 24-18 in an easier Big East. Chryst was 10-13 in conference games (1 year in Big East, 2 years in ACC).

Chryst's conference record in five years at Wisconsin is 34-10. He also has only lost two regular season non-conference game at Wisconsin (and one of those was his very first game at Wisconsin when he lost to Bama). He has won 3 conference division titles, in comparison to the 1 that Narduzzi has won.

For what it's worth, Wannstedt's conference record was only 24-18 in an easier Big East. Chryst was 10-13 in conference games (1 year in Big East, 2 years in ACC).

Chryst's conference record in five years at Wisconsin is 34-10. He also has only lost two regular season non-conference game at Wisconsin (and one of those was his very first game at Wisconsin when he lost to Bama). He has won 3 conference division titles, in comparison to the 1 that Narduzzi has won.
I think the much fairer comparison is Chryst at Pitt versus Narduzzi at Pit

There is no Narduzzi at Wisconsin versus Chryst at Wisconsin.

Reactions: jctrack
Actually, the results are very respectable...
outside being 1-7 to three very mediocre programs (BC/NC/NCSt).

I can live with 1-4 record vs Miami. Ironically, we beat them when they were ranked #2.

Duke 5-0
Syr 5-1
Vir. 4-1
Geo,T. 4-1
Vir,T. 2-3
UNC. 1-4
Miami. 1-4

Louis. 2-0
Wake. 1-0
Clem. 1-0
BC 0-1
NC ST. 0-2
FSU. 0-0

I think we only trail clemson and tied with miami

Reactions: gary2

I think Pitt has the 3rd most ACC wins behind Clemson and Miami since he took over

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Impressive. We have a good coach. Just need a change or two with some offensive assistants.

Narduzzi just desperately needs to overhaul the entire offense. If I'm him, I ask Heather to open up the checkbook for a big-time OC. Maybe someone like Joe Rudolph, maybe even name him coach in waiting or something.

Pitt fans who think Narduzzi should be replaced are out of touch. Perfectly fine coach and perfect style for your brand (more northern, defense-first, balanced and controlled offense, etc). I think you guys end up with very respectable results this season.

Pitt fans who think Narduzzi should be replaced are out of touch. Perfectly fine coach and perfect style for your brand (more northern, defense-first, balanced and controlled offense, etc). I think you guys end up with very respectable results this season.
Yes / No /IDN. It is all about expectations and resources devoted to the program. To think HCPN is going to elevate this program to the next level without additional resources is not likely to happen. The question is does the University believe it has provided the resources to be a consistent top 20 team? If so, how long do they give HCPN to get there, or what more do they need to see? It is ADHL job to find the right coach to meet the expectations of the University given the resources provided. It seems to me that last year the HCPN was told the expectations are not being met, but IDN. And of course Covid has changed things. Not as much revenue to make big changes.

When your conference is the easiest out of all P5 teams. That record should at least have his seat warm. Especially, this year if we finish with only 6 or 7 wins.

What does that say about the job he is doing. When year 6 was supposed to be his best team that only finishes with 6 wins.

Plus, AD HL got to look in the mirror and say to herself is Narduzzi worth the 4 million a year she is paying. On Top of a big bump in staff raises and bigger recruiting budget.

Keep in mind Wanny was doing better with far less money for his staff, recruiting and himself.

Reactions: IntrospectiveYinzer

Have you seen our remaining schedule?

Keep in mind Wanny was doing better with far less money for his staff, recruiting and himself.

Wanny's record in conference games (while playing in a clearly inferior conference): 24-18
Narduzzi's record in conference games (while playing in a clearly better conference): 26-17

I can't imagine how anyone who was happy with Wanny could be anything less than happy with Narduzzi.

Wanny's record in conference games (while playing in a clearly inferior conference): 24-18
Narduzzi's record in conference games (while playing in a clearly better conference): 26-17

I can't imagine how anyone who was happy with Wanny could be anything less than happy with Narduzzi.
They both are average! However, if give Wanny the recruiting budget, the money Narduzzi gets for his staff, and the ACC conference to sell recruits plus the network. It’s a different story because Wanny’s recruiting would of been through the roof. Plus. The big East back then was just as good as the coastal.

Reactions: bwh05
The revisionist history on Wanny’s tenure is a gift that keeps giving here on the Lair.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Wanny last coached a game for this program on December 4, 2010. That is a ten years ago. That was four coaches ago. How many guys coached by wanny are even still active in the NFL? His tenure is not relevant to anything

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Duke 5-0
Syr 5-1
Vir. 4-1
Geo,T. 4-1
Vir,T. 2-3
UNC. 1-4
Miami. 1-4

Louis. 2-0
Wake. 1-0
Clem. 1-0
BC 0-1
NC ST. 0-2
FSU. 0-0

The most obvious observation from our prior track record.....we can usually plan on a loss against UNC and Miami. Those 2 have been and are Pitt and Narduzzi’s Achilles heel. NCST may be trending that way as well.

I have no interest in getting involved in a Wanny debate, waste of time.

But I think it’s an exaggeration to say the BE was a clearly inferior conference to the ACC. Considering we’ve only played Clemson once in regular season, our ACC opponents haven’t been much different than the BE slate back then.

Yeah the numbers in the original post are why he has an extension and his seat isn't hot. They're legitimately solid numbers. I think the frustration from Pitt fans is also understandable though because their fandom is in a larger context of nearly 40 years without, say, 11 wins.

Narduzzi just desperately needs to overhaul the entire offense. If I'm him, I ask Heather to open up the checkbook for a big-time OC. Maybe someone like Joe Rudolph, maybe even name him coach in waiting or something.
Just get one of the plethora of OCs on this board. Pay them a shot and a beer.

27-28 against the P5

Frankly, considering Pitt's budget, attendance, etc...that's fine. It's very hard to win against big programs consistently without big money. I think the problem isn't the floor, it's that we are still waiting for a higher ceiling for a year or two.

I wouldn't say the same in basketball, where it's easier to win without spending the most $$$ because you can just get just a few exceptional players to make a run.

Frankly, considering Pitt's budget, attendance, etc...that's fine. It's very hard to win against big programs consistently without big money. I think the problem isn't the floor, it's that we are still waiting for a higher ceiling for a year or two.

I wouldn't say the same in basketball, where it's easier to win without spending the most $$$ because you can just get just a few exceptional players to make a run.

Yeah, I don't disagree with most of that. You'd like to do a little better, but Penn State, Oklahoma State, and ND (who I included in the P5) aren't really doing you any favors either.

I think he's average 7.2 wins/season, which is almost exactly in line with what we've averaged since 2000. So that's about our bar. The problem is that - instead of 8-5, 8-5, 5-7, 7-7, and 8-5 - I think a lot of people would rather see 8-5, 9-4, 2-10, 7-7, 10-3. As you noted, our floor is respectable; it's the ceiling that doesn't really move the needle for a lot of people.

It's tough to compare football to basketball. Yeah, there's more parity in basketball. But we're also in one of the lightest divisions in the country in football, whereas our basketball conference is at the top of the food chain. I don't think you need to quantify basketball seasons as much, just because there are no division titles, etc. I think it's just about getting to the tournament X amount of years out of Y and then having a good postseason run every so often when you get there. College basketball has more of a pro structure in that it's just about getting in sometimes, whereas college football records follow you around like a boxer. In fact, I couldn't tell you our basketball record for any season (ever) off the top of my head.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
AD's fault - Big Time

Yes and no. We all wanted the Penn State thing. Scoring that series was a victory, and there's just no other way to look at it. And then Notre Dame, of course, is beyond our control. Oklahoma State... well, that one could be a live and learn situation. It didn't pique much casual fan interest, so it might have just been an unnecessary two losses.

But, you know, at some point you have to make this entertaining. People often talk about it like we're building a business or something, but that's not what it is. Does anyone want our non-conference schedule to be Liberty, Albany, and Youngstown State? That's not very much fun. So I see both sides of it. We also could win some of these games... there's no law that says we can't (even though we act like it sometimes). We've lost to pretty mediocre Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, etc. teams over the years. Should have won some of those (other than the one we got against Iowa).

They both are average! However, if give Wanny the recruiting budget, the money Narduzzi gets for his staff, and the ACC conference to sell recruits plus the network. It’s a different story because Wanny’s recruiting would of been through the roof. Plus. The big East back then was just as good as the coastal.

same with Chryst.Neither got anywhere near the institutional support that Narduzzi does.

Reactions: sherepower
Isn’t that a good thing now and the expectation is that it will pay dividends in the future?
I would be happy if Narduzzi gave the offense a little more rein with the lead.

Maybe we could put some teams away.

Last edited:
I would be quite happy with an 11-3 year (extra game for conference title game) even if it came as the expense of two or maybe even three losing seasons.

It may not be rational but it's just casual entertainment to me.

same with Chryst.Neither got anywhere near the institutional support that Narduzzi does.

You sound like you know some specifics. So what’s the difference between then and now? Twice Chryst’s budget? Three times?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT