ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi confirms Jurkovec is starting

Oct 25, 2021
So there you have it. I was kind of hoping he would roll with Veilleux so the team could rally around him and pick up their play (a la Pickett in 2017, Yarnell last season, Patti last season, etc.). How hard are these guys going to play for Jurkovec after he throws one into the Ohio? Just a very questionable decision, in my opinion. And I'm assuming Jurkovec has had most, or all, of the first team reps this week, so having him on a short leash isn't as appealing to me as starting someone else from the getgo would be.

Reactions: President Stache
Turn on the victory lights

Yeah, we're gonna need all the lighting we can get to find where some of these balls land.

scoobydoo-sniff.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 303vND and h2p_5150
and some people want to ban pre-game tailigating. imagine going into this saturday night sober? screw that.

Man, even Narduzzi is going to need a few shots beforehand for this game. Difficult to imagine Phil not missing badly early. And equally as difficult to imagine the boos not beginning after that.

Some things can be played out of, but whatever he has going on just doesn't feel like it's one of them. Hopefully I'm wrong, but...

How bad must Christian Villeaux be? I mean after those 2 performances, giving the backup a shot at home, at least to save Phil from getting booed out of the place, seems very reasonable. But the reality is probably that CV is beyond terrible.

How bad must Christian Villeaux be? I mean after those 2 performances, giving the backup a shot at home, at least to save Phil from getting booed out of the place, seems very reasonable. But the reality is probably that CV is beyond terrible.

Yeah, I don't see how only letting CV hand off and throw to first reads could be any worse. I don't think it can be exaggerated how bad Jurkovec is playing. Almost nothing could be worse.

He could be great and they wouldn't start him b/c of promises that were made. This has to be the only reason

Reactions: 303vND and bdur76
It’s weird to look at this situation in its entirety and blame CV. Narduzzi did the same thing with Pickett when Pickett was playing poorly, he steadfastly refused to pull him and play someone else. It’s like Narduzzi thinks he’s signed a blood contract with some of these kids where they can’t be pulled for poor play. Come to think of it, has Narduzzi ever pulled a QB mid-game for garbage play?

Yeah, I don't see how only letting CV hand off and throw to first reads could be any worse. I don't think it can be exaggerated how bad Jurkovec is playing. Almost nothing could be worse.

Yea, Phil is looking like a D3 QB, not even D2. But CV could be worse. Its possible. Still, I'd throw him in there just to shut the fans up. They are going to lose anyway.

Reactions: Pitt79
Yea, Phil is looking like a D3 QB, not even D2. But CV could be worse. Its possible. Still, I'd throw him in there just to shut the fans up. They are going to lose anyway.
Maybe he is worse, but sometimes you risk trying just to try. Phil is that bad! It's like that guy, who when you say you want to fire a coach always answers, "but who would you replace him with?" and sometimes the answer is just simply SOMEBODY ELSE.

Reactions: HunkyPanther

Worse than like a 32% completion rate with a propensity for interceptions? I'm just not seeing how. I mean he could definitely be Joey Yellen bad, and that's frustrating. But with Phil, we're talking about the head of Vontaze Burfict, the arm of Brian O'Neill... I really don't want to sound like I'm exaggerating when I say I've never seen anything like it.

No. It just means they don't feel he is ready. They aren't going to throw him in there just to shut fans up.

After three games in can anyone else even fathom Phil playing average against a legit top 25 team in UNC? I can’t. He looked absolutely awful against Wofford. I remember trying to lie to myself after that game trying to convince myself that he did indeed look fast and that he threw a nice accurate ball. Anyone that knows a lick about football knows he flat out just doesn’t have it. This is his 6th year playing and he hasn’t done anything since his first yr at BC. Time to move on to Veilleux or just run the WILDCAT!

Reactions: JJTopp99 and 303vND
It’s weird to look at this situation in its entirety and blame CV. Narduzzi did the same thing with Pickett when Pickett was playing poorly, he steadfastly refused to pull him and play someone else. It’s like Narduzzi thinks he’s signed a blood contract with some of these kids where they can’t be pulled for poor play. Come to think of it, has Narduzzi ever pulled a QB mid-game for garbage play?

Chad Voyetk, DiNucci to name a few

You don't pull a 6th year guy for garbage play when you don't have a backup ready to take over the reins for good. Because once you bench that 6th year guy, you really can't go back to him.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Yes. He benched Dinucci for Pickett against Virginia Tech in 2017. I'm pretty sure he benched Browne and Dinucci for each other during a few games too.

Worse than like a 32% completion rate with a propensity for interceptions? I'm just not seeing how. I mean he could definitely be Joey Yellen bad, and that's frustrating. But with Phil, we're talking about the head of Vontaze Burfict, the arm of Brian O'Neill... I really don't want to sound like I'm exaggerating when I say I've never seen anything like it.

I would put Joey Yellen in this week. But not someone like Trey Anderson and maybe not Bostick/Smith. Well, maybe Bostick. He threw a nice ball but just didnt have "it."

You don't pull a 6th year guy for garbage play when you don't have a backup ready to take over the reins for good. Because once you bench that 6th year guy, you really can't go back to him.
But why go back to him? He's not going to be here next year so this is it. The only reason to stick with him is if you think these last few weeks were a fluke and that he's going to get much better. Otherwise put in the back up and let him develop because he will at least have a chance to be the starter next season.

I would put Joey Yellen in this week. But not someone like Trey Anderson and maybe not Bostick/Smith. Well, maybe Bostick. He threw a nice ball but just didnt have "it."
i was sitting next to notre dame fans when we put in Trey ANderson lol. They just looked at me and i kid you not, felt bad. just gave me this look like, "things will get better." this shrug you give someone when you know it's over..

man, that was brutal.

Reactions: JJTopp99
So there you have it. I was kind of hoping he would roll with Veilleux so the team could rally around him and pick up their play (a la Pickett in 2017, Yarnell last season, Patti last season, etc.). How hard are these guys going to play for Jurkovec after he throws one into the Ohio? Just a very questionable decision, in my opinion. And I'm assuming Jurkovec has had most, or all, of the first team reps this week, so having him on a short leash isn't as appealing to me as starting someone else from the getgo would be.
So glad I sold my tix a a parking pass

I just want to see a spiral. Is it too much to ask to not have to wonder if we punted on first down when I look down for a second and then look back up and see a dying duck sputtering through the Pittsburgh atmosphere?

Not that at all. Duzzi won't pull his starter. Almost never does. The boos will have to be so loud and constant that PJ starts crying or cursing out the crowd before there's a change.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Sure you can. We benched 5th year Max Browne for Dinucci then put him back in a few games later.
That didn't work out so well, and Dinucci left for JMU at the end of the year.

In a sense though, same concept now as then, I think they are just buying time until they feel confident they can roll with the young guy.

If Patti came back, I think they would have already made a change. Then if he struggled, they might go back to Jurk. But when they go with one of the young guys that you think is going to lead you in the future, I don't think you can go back to the 6th year guy from that.

That didn't work out so well, and Dinucci left for JMU at the end of the year.

In a sense though, same concept now as then, I think they are just buying time until they feel confident they can roll with the young guy.

If Patti came back, I think they would have already made a change. Then if he struggled, they might go back to Jurk. But when they go with one of the young guys that you think is going to lead you in the future, I don't think you can go back to the 6th year guy from that.

You could be right, but Veilleux is already a redshirt sophomore with only two more years left to play after this one. If they do think he could be the guy, now is the time to take the training wheels off. I'd feel much differently if he were a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT