ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi confirms Jurkovec is starting

You don't pull a 6th year guy for garbage play when you don't have a backup ready to take over the reins for good. Because once you bench that 6th year guy, you really can't go back to him.
Who cares? Where's he going to go? He can either accept it and maybe get another chance in a later game or quit. The NFL won't be calling, I suppose he could try out for the XFL.

You could be right, but Veilleux is already a redshirt sophomore with only two more years left to play after this one. If they do think he could be the guy, now is the time to take the training wheels off. I'd feel much differently if he were a freshman.
Totally agree. And I think that's inevitable. My hunch is that it happens either this Saturday or in Blacksburg.

Regardless, they have to get somebody ready not only for this year, but to know exactly what they have going into next.

Reactions: JJTopp99
So there you have it. I was kind of hoping he would roll with Veilleux so the team could rally around him and pick up their play (a la Pickett in 2017, Yarnell last season, Patti last season, etc.). How hard are these guys going to play for Jurkovec after he throws one into the Ohio? Just a very questionable decision, in my opinion. And I'm assuming Jurkovec has had most, or all, of the first team reps this week, so having him on a short leash isn't as appealing to me as starting someone else from the getgo would be.
Whoop there it is! My Saturday night just got freed up!

I am so very confused. Didn't Pat just say a few month's ago that this was the deepest QB room that he's ever had? In what sense was he referring? Intangibles?

He's also said that Thomas MacVittie is going to amaze us, Quintin Wirginis will play in the NFL, Nate Yarnell is special, etc., etc., etc.

I think it's pretty clear by now that the gibberish he spouts off after some random Spring/Summer practice ought not to transcribed and added into the Holy Bible.

But why go back to him? He's not going to be here next year so this is it. The only reason to stick with him is if you think these last few weeks were a fluke and that he's going to get much better. Otherwise put in the back up and let him develop because he will at least have a chance to be the starter next season.
I think that's exactly what they are going to do as soon as they feel one of the young guys are game ready. You can't throw one of the young guys out there without a legit chance to succeed. You don't want to ruin them by putting them out there before they are ready. That's just taking a bad situation and making it worse.

He's also said that Thomas MacVittie is going to amaze us, Quintin Wirginis will play in the NFL, Nate Yarnell is special, etc., etc., etc.

I think it's pretty clear by now that the gibberish he spouts off after some random Spring/Summer practice ought not to transcribed and added into the Holy Bible.

Shocky Jacques-Louis for Bilitnekoff.

I think that's exactly what they are going to do as soon as they feel one of the young guys are game ready. You can't throw one of the young guys out there without a legit chance to succeed. You don't want to ruin them by putting them out there before they are ready. That's just taking a bad situation and making it worse.
That's a good point and would agree with you more if that was a true freshman backing him up. We're also starring at potentially a 3rd straight loss. I would rather make changes sooner rather than later.

That's a good point and would agree with you more if that was a true freshman backing him up. We're also starring at potentially a 3rd straight loss. I would rather make changes sooner rather than later.
They would be doing more harm than good if you toss him out there before he's ready.

It's going to be an interesting week. Can't wait to see how they game plan it & adjust as the game flow dictates. If Pitt gets down with Drake Maye tossing it all over the yard and Cigs is having Jurk pound Hammond up the middle while down 3 TDs, Boo City is going to be a very ugly place Saturday night.

How hard are these guys going to play for Jurkovec after he throws one into the Ohio?
He’s a great leader I’m told. So they’ll follow him to the ends of the earth. That doesn’t seem to encompass the end zone unfortunately…

We have family visiting my wife (originally from Charlotte, though it is totally random) this weekend so it was questionable I was going to attend this game (and I was aggravated!). I’m not aggravated any longer, have at it Glimmer Twins

I'll go, but I have zero desire to go to this game now knowing Pitt doesn't even have a chance to win. It's pointless.

And what happens if Phil gets hurt, will they just not play a qb because he is not ready? If he is ready to replace an injured Phil, he is ready to start the game.
Well obviously they go with #2.

But your last sentence isn't necessarily true at all.

Well obviously they go with #2.

But your last sentence isn't necessarily true at all.
It is actually easier for the backup, if he has the week to prepare to be the starter. WVU played almost the entire game last week with their backup, who was not prepared to start, yet was good enough to beat Pitt. Pat claims to have confidence in all 3 qbs, so any of them should be able to start, particularly if they have the week to practice as the starter.

Reactions: e-fresh
So he starts, they attempt maybe 5 passes in the first half and he absolutely sucks. Narduzzi pulls him at halftime, calling it now. Duzz has already alluded to Cig deciding on who starts at QB, so it’s already out there that there isn’t confidence in Phil. Sure, Duzz will say that he’s confident in him, but what else is he really supposed to say? Say what you will about Narduzzi, but he isn’t a complete idiot. If Phil plays a terrible first half (which he will) and is still out there for the start of the second half, I might rethink that last point though.

No. It just means they don't feel he is ready. They aren't going to throw him in there just to shut fans up.
So then why did he talk up his top three QBs before the beginning of the season like they were the best QB group he had ever had? Sorry, something just doesn’t add up.

How much longer are we going to have to keep listening to this garbage. He keeps talking out of his a$$, constantly contradicting himself and and making up the most bizarre crap when his offense doesn’t live up to his own preseason hype.

One day, he tells the media he knows nothing about the offense - that Cignetti.is the one making the offensive decisions. - that he spends 80%+ of his time with the defense.

A few days later, Narduzzi is telling the media HE (not Cignetti) has decided to stick with Phil and how HE (Narduzzi) watched Jurkovec and sees he is a very good QB and how it was just a matter of the offense needing to fix little details (an excuse Pitt fans have heard from him many times before). PN then starts making it a point to let everyone know he spends 100% of his time on the practice field with the offense.

After close to a decade as a head coach, PN is still so in-over-his-head with the offensive side of the ball. Why he has so stubbornly refused to get a little better each season with that side of the ball so he doesn’t have to make up crap during pressers and look like a fool is beyond me.

You could be right, but Veilleux is already a redshirt sophomore with only two more years left to play after this one. If they do think he could be the guy, now is the time to take the training wheels off. I'd feel much differently if he were a freshman.
Veilleux should have a COVID year, no? That would give him 3.

God I remember that. I was at that game. Trey Anderson... sigh. OK, that was the worst QB I ever seen in my life. Jurkovec is almost there. I mean, he threw 3 screen passes this year alone that didnt make the player cause he threw it too lightly.

God, weve had to endure some awful QB as Pitt fans. The Marino curse??
i was sitting next to notre dame fans when we put in Trey ANderson lol. They just looked at me and i kid you not, felt bad. just gave me this look like, "things will get better." this shrug you give someone when you know it's over..

man, that was brutal.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
So then why did he talk up his top three QBs before the beginning of the season like they were the best QB group he had ever had? Sorry, something just doesn’t add up.

How much longer are we going to have to keep listening to this garbage. He keeps talking out of his a$$, constantly contradicting himself and and making up the most bizarre crap when his offense doesn’t live up to his own preseason hype.

One day, he tells the media he knows nothing about the offense - that Cignetti.is the one making the offensive decisions. - that he spends 80%+ of his time with the defense.

A few days later, Narduzzi is telling the media HE (not Cignetti) has decided to stick with Phil and how HE (Narduzzi) watched Jurkovec and sees he is a very good QB and how it was just a matter of the offense needing to fix little details (an excuse Pitt fans have heard from him many times before). PN then starts making it a point to let everyone know he spends 100% of his time on the practice field with the offense.

After close to a decade as a head coach, PN is still so in-over-his-head with the offensive side of the ball.
Why he has so stubbornly refused to get a little better each season with that side of the ball so he doesn’t have to make up crap during pressers and look like a fool is beyond me.
Just about everything you hear from any college coach at a press conference is bullshit. Duzz is always going to blow smoke up our ass and talk up his QBs. You should know that by now.

Duzz gave some hints on what he's thinking at QB when he was really pressed on it.

This game has the potential to be 2017 Oklahoma St level of ugly.

With All Due Respect, Sir,
I Believe This is Going to be.
Our Finest Hour...

Sorry, had to get a line in from another potential averted disaster...Pitt will get the heat shield in order and their angle of reentry will be spot on...

MacVitte was worth rolling the dice on. Thought it might be similar to Big Ben where he just started his senior year and was somewhat overlooked in recruiting. He played at Moeller I believe which is an Ohio powerhouse school. Plus LSU made a real hard push at the end to sign him. Things happen, he just never developed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT