ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi FIND A QB

I’d like to go back and watch the VT and Miami games from last year because unless my mind was playing tricks on me it sure seemed like he was throwing the ball well and Pitt was calling a looser game for him.

Screw it. Over a decade of mostly crappy QB play with only transfer re-treads being effective. Just go the GT route already. I'm tired of watching this garbage year after year.

Screw it. Over a decade of mostly crappy QB play with only transfer re-treads being effective. Just go the GT route already. I'm tired of watching this garbage year after year.

Short memory. 2 years ago may have been the best offense in Pitt history.

The last two QBs that started full seasons have started games in the NFL (not very well, but at least confirms talent)

So there isn’t “year after year garbage” recently. Go back a few years before that and I agree it was rough

Reactions: PittPanthers90
As bad as Tino was lol he was better than this

Tough to tell. Tino’s receivers were light years better, and the offenses he ran were better than watson’s.

If Chryst was running this offense he would be using read options liberally. Why that is not happening with Pickett is beyond me.

Reactions: pittman71
If they don't think Town can do anything (and they must not, possibly due to less mobility) ... and not willing to adjust plays to help Pickett, in cluding more designed t runs or rpo ... then incorporate more of the wildcat.

If they don't think Town can do anything (and they must not, possibly due to less mobility) ... and not willing to adjust plays to help Pickett, in cluding more designed t runs or rpo ... then incorporate more of the wildcat.
Maybe Pickett should find a head coach and an offensive coordinator! A better offensive line With above average wide receivers will also help.

Stop. Pickett has the potential to be a pretty good QB. He was getting zero time to throw on many pass plays today, and is hindered by Watson's play calling, that has many plays designed for the ball to be caught behind the line of scrimmage.
With more time and better play calling, he could look a whole lot better.
The other thing that disappeared today was the misdirection with the QB. With Syracuse forced to overload against the run, particularly late, faking the handoff and having Pickett roll to the other side should've worked well, even it it was a designed run all the way.

Stop. Pickett has the potential to be a pretty good QB. He was getting zero time to throw on many pass plays today, and is hindered by Watson's play calling, that has many plays designed for the ball to be caught behind the line of scrimmage.
The other thing that disappeared today was the misdirection with the QB. With Syracuse forced to overload against the run, particularly late, faking the handoff and having Pickett roll to the other side should've worked well, even it it was a designed run all the way.

to the bolded: how do we know he can look a whole lot better? He has started 8 games in his college career: how many of those starts can we say he played "great" football?

Agree with the idea of sticking with Pickett and adding more wild cat, gadget plays, and an RPO package beyond the counter+bubble screen one we already do. Gotta try something.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Agree with the idea of sticking with Pickett and adding more wild cat, gadget plays, and an RPO package beyond the counter+bubble screen one we already do. Gotta try something.

How can you stick with Pickett after what happened today? The team ran a 2 minute drill offense by IGNORING their qb. Not one pass play (until the very last play of the drive). This is unheard of. Any of us on this board could have played qb on that last series and it wouldn't have changed the play calling. That is how little faith the coaching staff has in Pickett. And this is against an average team in Syracuse. If you have no confidence in him against Cuse, you are telling me you are going to have confidence in him at South Bend against a Top 10 Notre Dame team?

And the coaching staff's no confidence is warranted. The running game is outstanding. The defense isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. The big problem is the qb as I think even the receivers aren't as bad as we thought they were.

Reactions: bignorthu2
Just getting the play called in, set up, and snapped in time is beyond some back ups. Say Towns can handle the pressure: does he have any mobility? I think the answer is so. So can he be an effective pocket passer in a pocket that frequently collapses?

probably not. This is a hope Pickett can be a little better than Bostick year.

Just getting the play called in, set up, and snapped in time is beyond some back ups. Say Towns can handle the pressure: does he have any mobility? I think the answer is so. So can he be an effective pocket passer in a pocket that frequently collapses?

probably not. This is a hope Pickett can be a little better than Bostick year.

Not saying bench Pickett for Town, but Town actually can move some. He’s not a cement foot like Max Brown.

I actually want to see Patti get in for 4 games so he can fight for the job next year.

I just want to see competent play from the position I don't care who it is. Watching what occurred in the press conference in the post game it seems like Narduzzi is refusing to admit there is a problem. Stating that Pitt didn't call pass plays because they were afraid of the Cuse's front four and their pass rush. If that is the case he needs to explain the issues with Pitt's passing in the other 5 games this year.

We tried RPO against PSU multiple times. It got stuffed every time. Pickett needs to drop back and run after 1st read is covered. Power running and 1 read pass plays and go. That is the offense.

Re: Pickett.

I just find it unlikely a week after a win and 44 points (yes, OT, I know) that Narduzzi would try another QB. As long as he feels like the season isn't over, he's going to coach to be off a hot seat, which means trying to stick with the guy he must trust the most. Had we lost this and/or the GT game, maybe I'd see it.

I'm not saying it's the right decision. I don't go to practices so I don't know how Patti is looking. I like the four game or less rule but Pickett is a soph, not a senior, even in a blow out I bet Narduzzi wants to give him more experience.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I’d like to go back and watch the VT and Miami games from last year because unless my mind was playing tricks on me it sure seemed like he was throwing the ball well and Pitt was calling a looser game for him.
I have been saying that as well. Narduzzi pushing for no turnovers, and I get that, I think is putting too much pressure on Pickett to play loose. Just make plays ala McSorely. He is a fb player so let him just go out and play. He doesn’t need to be perfect.

Almost all of Pickett’s throws are on the run and outside the numbers. Hard to be effective like that. Having no TEs and no over the middle options severely limits his abilities

Reactions: H2P 2003 and BFo8
We tried RPO against PSU multiple times. It got stuffed every time. Pickett needs to drop back and run after 1st read is covered. Power running and 1 read pass plays and go. That is the offense.

PSU is a much better opponent than the rest of our ACC schedule. And there are plenty of RPO plays that are a single read. I am not saying redesign the offense mid-season, only that adding a wrinkle to something like our existing counter trap bubble screen with a slant or go could generate vertical yards. Plenty of teams have Pickett-level QBs that get a little more out of them.

The Duzz is morphing offensives into its origins....the single wing

The QB will be in the backfield mostly to bark out signals, with the ball snapped usually to the TB...

He is a genius and most don’t even know it..

He was okay at best in both games. But, put in the context of a true freshman thrown into the fire, okay is really good. So a lot of it was projecting.

Miami just made things very easy for him. They kept their LBs on the field the entire game. Pickett was able to easily identify which LB was covering the slot receiver, and just go to him. It's an easy read and you're generally throwing into a lot of space from the separation that is being created.

That type of pre-snap read just isn't there as often this season. And he's struggling mentally.

Maybe Pickett should find a head coach and an offensive coordinator! A better offensive line With above average wide receivers will also help.

Bullseye!
The offensive line pass blocking is abysmal. That our passing game would have serious issues with blocking was apparent in the spring game. Notwithstanding that the receivers, as a group, are below average, there is little time for them to gain separation before our QB is under pressure. Our offensive game planning uses the tight ends almost exclusively as tackles and ignores the middle of the field in the passing game.
Yeah, just change QB's and problems solved! Kenny Pickett is not the problem.

Maybe the question should be.

Does Pickett have the weapons to throw to? They don't have a tight end that can do anything. Lopez is ok but what about the rest of the receivers?

Reactions: BPpanther
Kenny has been bad. No excuses. With more experience he can get better. You can't be putting in a garbage 2nd stringer. He can help out his OL and receivers a bit more and vice versa but he'll need time. Even a decent QB might get us 3 more wins this year.

I’m thinking Pickett is dealing with an injury. Saw him limping a couple times yesterday and while one good thing to see is he’s not scrambling within seconds of getting the snap, he’s now at the point where he will not run at all. I don’t think you just completely stop trying to make plays with your legs unless your mobility has seriously been hampered. Just a thought.

I’m thinking Pickett is dealing with an injury. Saw him limping a couple times yesterday and while one good thing to see is he’s not scrambling within seconds of getting the snap, he’s now at the point where he will not run at all. I don’t think you just completely stop trying to make plays with your legs unless your mobility has seriously been hampered. Just a thought.

If he is injured and it is affecting his play then he should not be playing. I am only looking at his pass accuracy and pocket awareness, if the knee is affecting all of that then he should be replaced until he is healthy. Honestly can the other qb's on the roster be any worse?

Maybe the question should be.

Does Pickett have the weapons to throw to? They don't have a tight end that can do anything. Lopez is ok but what about the rest of the receivers?

Look at the numbers being put up by teams. How many passing yards they put up a game. Do you think they all have an antonio bryant, larry fitzgerald etc?

Our offense scheme sucks, and he is also the QB’s coach. Coincidence?

If he is injured and it is affecting his play then he should not be playing. I am only looking at his pass accuracy and pocket awareness, if the knee is affecting all of that then he should be replaced until he is healthy. Honestly can the other qb's on the roster be any worse?
It certainly could. It could make planting your foot to throw very uncomfortable. If I’m not mistaken, it was his left knee hurt earlier this year correct? I don’t think he should necessarily be benched, but at times town should be coming in to see if he can do anything for a drive.

Pickett had some really bad misfires yesterday. Matthews had about a 13 yard slant over the middle on 3rd and 11, probably around a yard separation from the db, and Pickett throws into the ground a few feet short of matthew’s feet. A good throw hits him in the numbers for an easy first down and that’s not exactly a hard throw. Although there was pressure about to get to him late as soon as he threw it, which has been another huge problem all season, his pass protection has been very poor.

If he’s really hurt, and everybody knows ND is going to destroy whomever is back there with their pash rush....why not play Town and have Patti and George as his backups? Give Pickett 2 weeks to rest and be ready for an important ACC game vs Duke.

Finally a winner !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT