ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi on Slovis

Franb

Junior
Jun 25, 2002
At his press conference today, here are two of his comments, in answering two different questions about Slovis:

"Second half didn't play very good. Why is that? I don't know.
At the end of the half he took a couple shots. Not to the point where he had a concussion, but they're still shots, and we've got to protect our quarterback."
"You've got to keep coaching them. Again, it's not easy. You sit back there -- there's a lot of things flying at you, and when you get hit in the back of the head one time, your decisions change a little bit."
Twice he mentioned Slovis getting hit, and suggested that these hits have effected his play. It should also be noted that Slovis had two previous concussions, one in his senior year of high school and one his first season at USC. From the outside, not knowing what the doctors have said, it sure seems that his play has changed since the Tennessee injury, and given his history, Narduzzi would seem to have every reason to try another quarterback. Even if it is only to protect his player from more injury. Yet he still insists that Slovis gives Pitt the best chance to win.

At his press conference today, here are two of his comments, in answering two different questions about Slovis:

Twice he mentioned Slovis getting hit, and suggested that these hits have effected his play. It should also be noted that Slovis had two previous concussions, one in his senior year of high school and one his first season at USC. From the outside, not knowing what the doctors have said, it sure seems that his play has changed since the Tennessee injury, and given his history, Narduzzi would seem to have every reason to try another quarterback. Even if it is only to protect his player from more injury. Yet he still insists that Slovis gives Pitt the best chance to win.
Duzz will never admit he is wrong. Watson should have been canned way before Duzz was most likely forced to do so. Cig needs fired 2 weeks ago, he is what he is, but he will be here another year at least

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Nardo personally brought Slovis on board with the expectation he was their starter. Without knowing just what HCPN told Slovis to sell him on Pitt, I would be guessing he hitched his wagon to Slovis to get the transfer.

Slovis may be a great guy and terrific teammate prompting HCPN to be reluctant to pull the plug on him, but as head coach your job is to put the players in that you feel get you the best chance to win.

If Slovis has another first half against UNC like we have seen the past few weeks, HCPN has to pull him, or he may set himself up for a painful finish to the season that may cost him a current roster exodus and some verballed recruits decommitting.

I hope I am wrong.

Nardo personally brought Slovis on board with the expectation he was their starter. Without knowing just what HCPN told Slovis to sell him on Pitt, I would be guessing he hitched his wagon to Slovis to get the transfer.

Slovis may be a great guy and terrific teammate prompting HCPN to be reluctant to pull the plug on him, but as head coach your job is to put the players in that you feel get you the best chance to win.

If Slovis has another first half against UNC like we have seen the past few weeks, HCPN has to pull him, or he may set himself up for a painful finish to the season that may cost him a current roster exodus and some verballed recruits decommitting.

I hope I am wrong.
This is a logical hypothesis and is likely inline with the "loyalty" he tends to value. Sometimes to a fault.

Regarding your 3rd paragraph... I was partially there in the GT game and fully there last weekend. Maybe sitting will wake him up and snap him out of it.

Maybe the players will decide for Narduzzi. Gabe didn't get out of his stance until the defender was past him on the sack fumble. Maybe the O line will throw more blocks like that, until they get the guy they want.

The exodus of receiver commitments has begun! Transfers will soon follow. I am very concerned about Yarnell, Bartholomew and Michey. Slovis plays like a third team qb, not what we were led to believe. When you have no passing game the opponents load up to stop the run. There may also be problems with the team's attitude with Slovis at qb. Just remember how the team played when Yarnell was qb.

This is a logical hypothesis and is likely inline with the "loyalty" he tends to value. Sometimes to a fault.

Regarding your 3rd paragraph... I was partially there in the GT game and fully there last weekend. Maybe sitting will wake him up and snap him out of it.
Loyalty to what, though? To one player, or to the team and it’s chances to win a game? He has admitted that Slovis has been impacted by the hits he has taken, yet continues to put the offense in his hands.

He just hasn't looked good since he got pummeled by Tennessee. He had those 2 late TDs against GT, but otherwise he looks uncertain and unprepared.

Narduzzi says that changing QBs could have a psychological effect on the team. Does it occur to him that that effect could be positive and rescue what looks to be a sinking ship on offense?

Reactions: Eastern Eight
Loyalty to what, though? To one player, or to the team and it’s chances to win a game? He has admitted that Slovis has been impacted by the hits he has taken, yet continues to put the offense in his hands.
Yes, loyalty to Slovis. I'm not agreeing with it, and said I would have benched Slovis at halftime of the GT game.

He has been emphatic that he is the best QB and I believe him. I cant stand when people think coaches sit better QBs. Tino was the best QB on the roster and so is Slovis. Now, should he have benched Slovis for a series or 2 against Louisville? Sure. But you guys clamoring for Yarnell are crazy. He is just as immobile as Slovis but likely not as good of a passer. At least Patti adds mobility though every time he scrambles for 20 yards, he gets injured. If we cant pass, however, I would be ok with letting Patti scramble around back there instead of painfully watching our WRs try to get open and with Slovis behind center

Patti, Patti, remembering Patti from the first few drives against Michigan state last year and his gutsy end of game performance against Tennessee Patti is a gritty guy who could give the momentum.
Nah...let's just keep doing the same thing that isn't working. That makes more sense, right?

• Haha
Reactions: WishfulPanther
So if he doesn't perform, screw him.

There has to be something going on with him of which we are simply not privy
He was 9-20 for 79 yards and got hurt again when he played this year. I think Slovis is likely better in practice too. I think we need some plays that give Slovis a simple read to get him in rhythm...frankly how we treated Yarnell against WVU. Maybe some RPO.

He was 9-20 for 79 yards and got hurt again when he played this year. I think Slovis is likely better in practice too. I think we need some plays that give Slovis a simple read to get him in rhythm...frankly how we treated Yarnell against WVU. Maybe some RPO.
He didn't look that great against UT, but I won't blame him too much given he was getting smoked against going against a top 5 team. He still showed more there than Slovis has since his head injury, IMO.

Patti, Patti, remembering Patti from the first few drives against Michigan state last year and his gutsy end of game performance against Tennessee Patti is a gritty guy who could give the momentum.
Patti isn’t very good either -
But at this point can it be any worse ?
Plus Patti will be injured in a quarter

Then aren’t we all on this board insane to a point. Lol
No, because personally I don't post here expecting my post to influence anyone or change anything. So, I don't expect any kind of results occurring because of my posts.

No, because personally I don't post here expecting my post to influence anyone or change anything. So, I don't expect any kind of results occurring because of my posts.
I guess what I meant , being a fan for over 30 years , expecting Pitt to do something different and getting same results , well.

There has to be something going on with him of which we are simply not privy.

Yeah, well word has been he had a fractured foot. It is probably at least mostly recovered now, but Im sure his mobility is affected. And, he certainly didnt look good against Tennessee. Yarnell could me thrown in there as well, but, come on, I really dont think he will have the poise and confidence to call out of plays when he sees the blitz either. I think it is pretty clear Slovis is the only choice now until Patti can play at a somewhat reasonable level, and if that happens, I dont think he will be much better than Slovis.

Reactions: FireballZ
Yeah, well word has been he had a fractured foot. It is probably at least mostly recovered now, but Im sure his mobility is affected. And, he certainly didnt look good against Tennessee. Yarnell could me thrown in there as well, but, come on, I really dont think he will have the poise and confidence to call out of plays when he sees the blitz either. I think it is pretty clear Slovis is the only choice now until Patti can play at a somewhat reasonable level, and if that happens, I dont think he will be much better than Slovis.
If Patti is mobile then I think he's better by default. Slovis is slow to pass and turtling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT