ADVERTISEMENT

Article Narduzzi set to hire Chris Beatty as WR coach

Mack and Ffrench have shown they can make big plays. Shocky seems to have excellent speed. Tipton’s and Mathews’ talents seem to be largely untapped - but my guess is they can be pretty productive.

Time will tell.

Go Pitt.
Agree on Mack and Ffrench. I thought Butler did a good job blocking, Mathews, Tipton and Shocky all seemed to drift in and out of use. I would have liked to have seen Michael Smith more. He seemed to stretch the field.

Sherman was fired at Virginia Tech. If you were not succesful recruiting and coaching receivers there, that should have been a real red flag.

I think Beatty will be an upgrade. Disappointed in that I was looking for a Young, Hafley like recruiter for this hire.

Pantherlair if Pitt hires young guy - "Pitt went cheap and hired someone with no experience. Bad hire"

Pitt hires guy with experience - "Pitt needs to hire a young guy, this is just a retread. Bad hire."
Powell and Salem are both good recruiters and Beatty has a similar coaching profile. Some people on here just want to argue and look for the negative.

45 is not that old.
45 is not old, if you are getting hired as a Head Coach at 45 or on a short list for the following season. 45 for an assistant coach, not a coordinator or assistant.associate HC, is old.

I am aware this guy has a decent reputation.

Guys like this and Tim Salem (who is a great guy and a tireless worker) are examples of recycling. At Pitt, I would rather identify young, up and comers, eager to make their bones.

I recognize the need to have experienced coaches on the staff that can coach, but I also think there is a place for hiring coaches on the way UP.

Too may hires like Peterson, Sims, Sherman, etc.
You don't want to be hiring another Shawn Watson.

Exactly

If the guy can recruit and coach what difference does his age make. This obsession with age race etc is buzzarre. The only thing that matters is results
It is not so much about age as it is career trajectory. People that have been in better places (Ohio State for example) and had more responsibility (coordinators) have a natural tendency to feel there will be no more upward movement. That effects a lot of people when they reach that point in their careers. You can't have a staff composed of only those type of coaches. Coaches that feel their career is just starting and has no limits, are the juices needed in a program, particularly a program that is not an elite sell.

Former WR coach and Recruiting Coordinator for Jimmy Franklin.
RB coach during Noel Divine's tenure.
Doesn't seem to stick around long, hopefully that changes.
Shawn Watson coached Teddy Bridgewater.

So you want a young buck who is an ace recruiter and also a good coach? You’re not getting that at Pitt unless it’s the head guy.

Dude - You are arguing with yourself. Jeez.
shhh, not everyone remembers to switch to their alt accounts
45 is not old, if you are getting hired as a Head Coach at 45 or on a short list for the following season. 45 for an assistant coach, not a coordinator or assistant.associate HC, is old.
Let's look at 24/7 recruiters of the year for 2018.
Georgia's RB coach is #1 and 45 years old.
Georgia's O-line coach is #4 @47yrs
OSU RB coach is #5 @45+ yrs
USC's LB coach is #6 @44 yrs

Done looking, someone should call these guys and tell them they failed at their profession.

You make me the OL coach at USC (and I am 68) , I will recruit 5 four star offensive linemen. Did I actually recruit them, or did the name USC recruit them? Same thing at PSU, Alabama, Ohio StAte, Michigan, Texas, etc, etc.

Smart to ignore the question.

this is a thread about the new WR coach not the new OC

what you may or may not have said about the OC is irrelevant, you were not talking about the OC in this thread, you were talking about the WR coach. my remark about your snarky half baked desperation was wholly in reference to your comments re: the new WR coach

you bringing up the OC is a textbook non-sequitir

this is a thread about the new WR coach not the new OC

what you may or may not have said about the OC is irrelevant, you were not talking about the OC in this thread, you were talking about the WR coach. my remark about your snarky half baked desperation was wholly in reference to your comments re: the new WR coach

you bringing up the OC is a textbook non-sequitir
I am saying I am not universally negative or positive. I have given you the reasons why I would have rathered we hired someone else.

If you are familiar with my posting history, you would know my stance here is consistent with previous stances.

Beatty left Vandy after 1 year for a better job. In case you haven’t noticed a lot of assistants have left Franklin for other jobs. You are trying to hard to be a contrarian bud.
I think I have more likes from you than anyone else on the board. Why the sudden hate?

It is not so much about age as it is career trajectory. People that have been in better places (Ohio State for example) and had more responsibility (coordinators) have a natural tendency to feel there will be no more upward movement. That effects a lot of people when they reach that point in their careers. You can't have a staff composed of only those type of coaches. Coaches that feel their career is just starting and has no limits, are the juices needed in a program, particularly a program that is not an elite sell.

Again if the guy can recruit and coach who cares what his trajectory is. There’s a ton of really good position coaches who will never be anything more than that. If they can get results that’s all that matters. By Most accounts this was a good hire

Watson is 59. How old is his replacement?
He'll have parental supervision and will be allowed to come to games dressed up as a football player.
KidFootballConcussionBlog.jpg

In the traditional sense, I agree with @gary2. That's if people stick to a traditional trajectory. You could end up getting a Dabo Swinney. I don't know if he has set offense or defense, but he brings in the people to fit his culture( coaches and players).

Reactions: jlash
pitt doesnt just need a recruiter they actually need a coach, pitt has no idea what they have at WR because most of them are so raw, they need a good coach to put them in a better position, pitt is starting from the bottom in terms of WR's that are ready to contribute, besides tipton everyone else is a huge question mark
Tipton isn’t a question mark? I’m not sure if this is an insult or a compliment.

I think we have an idea about Mack and Ffrench, and I think we have a decent idea what Matthews is. I have no clue about Tipton, unless you were insulting him of course.

Last edited:
In fairness to Beatty, while it looks like he's bounced around, he's had bad luck with HCs. After getting canned by Illinois he goes to Wisky for 2 years and then Gary Anderson jets to Oregon St and they bring PC in. So he heads to UVA for 2015 and then London gets fired. Off to Maryland and the Doeren goes psycho and gets axed.

In fairness to Beatty, while it looks like he's bounced around, he's had bad luck with HCs. After getting canned by Illinois he goes to Wisky for 2 years and then Gary Anderson jets to Oregon St and they bring PC in. So he heads to UVA for 2015 and then London gets fired. Off to Maryland and the Doeren goes psycho and gets axed.
The London firing should have come as no surprise. A coach in demand avoids (given a choice) going where the head coach is on thin ice.

Beatty is a good coach- knows his way around offensive football- good teacher of the wideout position.

Is well connected in the DMV. Has punched above his weightclass recruiting.

Strong personality. Has butted heads with colleagues at multiple stops. “Difficult to work with” rep has hampered his mobility a bit.

IMO, all things considered, a strong hire that will get more out of the wideouts.

This guy was all over the place and 45 when he was at Pitt; seemed to workout just fine for him.

1984 Hawaii (GA)
1985 Arizona State (GA)
1987 Eastern Illinois (RB)
1988–1989 UNLV (ST/RB)
1990 Northern Arizona(ST/DB)
1991–1993 Purdue (WR)
1994 San Diego State (WR)
1995–1996 Arizona (WR)
1997 Arizona (RB)
1998–2000 Arizona (OC/QB)
2001–2002 Texas A&M (OC/QB)
2003 Pittsburgh (RB)
2004–2005 UCLA (WR)
2006 UCLA (RB)
2007 UCLA (AHC/RB)
2008 Baylor (WR/RC)
2009–2011 Baylor (ST/WR)
2012–2013 Eastern Illinois
2014–2015 Bowling Green
2016–present Syracuse

OC was the promotion I mentioned. It lasted one year. He is a recyclable. A 45 year old coach that has bounced around a lot. Might do the job, but definitely not on the way up.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT