ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi ties Pop Warner on the All Time win list

It is great to have consistency. You can tell by the OC merry go round how tough switching coaches are

Reactions: JokePa
Yeah we should be happy to have him overall. He has consistently been pretty good and has been loyal. We will always have maddening games like today under him unfortunately. But it could be much worse. I still say losing JA to some BS cost us several games this year.

Most of the teams in the ACC are pretty even like this, not overpowering but steady. I am just happy we win more than our share.

He is alot like Heupel at Tennessee, just defensively instead of offensively. Both these guys will take care of their end, and the hire for the other side of the ball will really dictate how they recruit and perform.

He is alot like Heupel at Tennessee, just defensively instead of offensively. Both these guys will take care of their end, and the hire for the other side of the ball will really dictate how they recruit and perform.
As long as you ignore the years where Narduzzi's defense is in the bottom half of the country, which is like half of the time.

not sure which one is more false. Wannstedt was recruiting great or pitt fans ran off dixon..
Or acting like pointing out reality instead of drastically overstating the effectiveness of his defense during his tenure makes someone not a Pitt fan...

I loved Wannstedt, he was one of us. But when your team has more arrests than wins, you're gonna get the boot from pretty much any school.

The only reason I'm indifferent toward Narduzzi and don't mind him sticking around is because I know that anyone who would come here and be wildly successful would be gone the very next year. Narduzzi seems to have found this groove of being respectable but not desirable. I still think he's 75% buffoon, but at least he gives us a decent floor... to this point anyway.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
The only reason I'm indifferent toward Narduzzi and don't mind him sticking around is because I know that anyone who would come here and be wildly successful would be gone the very next year. Narduzzi seems to have found this groove of being respectable but not desirable. I still think he's 75% buffoon, but at least he gives us a decent floor... to this point anyway.

Honestly, Im completely OK with this post.

I certainly think EVERY football coach is at least 50% buffoon, after all, your life is teaching kids how to play a game and then acting like it is noble, hard, in some way respectful... etc.

But you're right. and its not because its Pitt, it is any school. Any coach can leave any school if they are legit crazy good, cause they will get a bajillion dollars to do so.

That's probably an adequate description but not a complete picture. I think the school likes the program Narduzzi is running. It's solid and it isn't embarrassing the school. And to be fair, a lot of "middling" programs would love the results he gets. The truth is, Pitt could do a whole lot worse and has so they won't be scooting Duzz out unless things really goes south.

60-41, not too shabby. Good job coach!
59.4% (about 14% lower than the guy he just tied or 30% lower than Jackie Sherrill) winning percentage....Not too shabby but just the right amount of shabby to attain a solid mediocre rating...

Yes, third all time Pitt head coach in win percentage of coaches over 70 games coached.

Damn good for a program of well over 100 years

If you go to the third highest percentage Steeler coach, it is Chuck Noll, who had a 56% win percentage.

Yes, third all time Pitt head coach in win percentage of coaches over 70 games coached.

Over 70 games coached? Doesn't that list only include like six guys?

Warner
Sutherland
Michelosen
Harris
Wannstedt
Narduzzi
Plus Majors if you combine his two stints together, but neither of them separately got there

I'm pretty sure that's the whole list.

Damn good for a program of well over 100 years

If you go to the third highest percentage Steeler coach, it is Chuck Noll, who had a 56% win percentage.
59% is 59% and not damn good for college football which is not the NFL where 10-6 seasons are considered damn good..keep trying..

This is like bragging that your Wife is the sexiest woman at Curves.

In the end, it’s better to just shut up and hope nobody sees her..

Yeah, I have no idea what Curves is, but sure, I guess if youre a douchebag you would do that? Im guessing by your name that your wife is just what you discribed

I am not bragging about anything, merely pointing our the fact that Narduzzi has been a good coach at Pitt. I mean, Pedos have supposedly a great history, and their third top coach is Franklin at 67%. Hardly much better than Narduzzi.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
As long as you ignore the years where Narduzzi's defense is in the bottom half of the country, which is like half of the time.
When he didn’t have players he recruited??

It’s been 4-5 years in a row now we had a program known across the country as a great defense

Reactions: ThePanthers
When he didn’t have players he recruited??

It’s been 4-5 years in a row now we had a program known across the country as a great defense
I mean 2020 wasn’t great…
2018 was mediocre at absolute best.
His best finish in scoring defense is 36th.

But yeah, 3 out of the past 5 years we’ve had a pretty damn good defense.

I mean 2020 wasn’t great…
2018 was mediocre at absolute best.
His best finish in scoring defense is 36th.

But yeah, 3 out of the past 5 years we’ve had a pretty damn good defense.
2020??? When the schedule changed, half the team had Covid or sat out?

And still had a ton of sacks

Yeah I agree. I like how he tried to adapt to the team strengths and get a coordinator that suited the strength of the team. Personally I dont like the ground attack vs the pass game in todays college football, but I can see why you would hire Cignetti of course, youd have to be daft not to see why with the roster turnover. I was super impressed even after western michigan when we changed the team just to win that game with a qb that didnt play since high school.

If we had Cignetti in the Hall/Ollison year we most likely would have won more games

2020??? When the schedule changed, half the team had Covid or sat out?

And still had a ton of sacks
I must have missed that Pitt was the only team that faced these problems in 2020.

My fault, I forgot that sacks were the only statistic that matters for success. I guess we should just ignore points allowed, points allowed per possession, touchdowns allowed per game, yards per game, takeaways per game, and how their performance compared to the performance of other teams that played the same opponent.

Until you look at the list.
No, I looked at it. Impressive. I was not a Pat Narduzzi fan when he was hired, he won me over. This year may have been his best coaching year, its clear he (or staff) really can get the players to a better level playing. So much improvement over the year. Im deeply worried about LB next year, but other than that I agree with Peak that 8 wins looks to be a floor for Pitt, which is a good place to be.

I doubt it.

Id put Pop Warner, Jock Sutherland, Johnny Majors, Jackie Sherril and Wannstedt all above him, but Narduzzi has grown into a really good manager of the team. Before, he wasnt, he was more the defensive guru type, and didnt concern about the day to day issues. I think he is a legit now. He certainly has a way he wanted things, and those things are happening. With Heather there, she gets stuff done. It is a good place to be a head coach. If Wannstedt had that we would have been elite with PSU, OSU, WVU all imploding at that time.

I doubt it.

Id put Pop Warner, Jock Sutherland, Johnny Majors, Jackie Sherril and Wannstedt all above him, but Narduzzi has grown into a really good manager of the team. Before, he wasnt, he was more the defensive guru type, and didnt concern about the day to day issues. I think he is a legit now. He certainly has a way he wanted things, and those things are happening. With Heather there, she gets stuff done. It is a good place to be a head coach. If Wannstedt had that we would have been elite with PSU, OSU, WVU all imploding at that time.
Last 80 Years
1) Majors 1
2) Sherrill
3) Narduzzi

Reactions: doubleAA's
He's battling for third best with Walt Harris. The fact that it's one of those two for the third best coach of the last 80 years here isn't impressive, it's depressive.
Not really. He's won the division twice and won the CCG once. Walt never won the conference outright and let's face it, the BE was a conference it seemed like no one wanted to win in 2004.

Not really. He's won the division twice and won the CCG once. Walt never won the conference outright and let's face it, the BE was a conference it seemed like no one wanted to win in 2004.
Yeah, Walt isnt even close. Wlat was a total embarrassment quite honestly.

We were a complete train wreck when Walt took over. He turned us into a good, solid program.
No doubt, he played his role in reviving the program. Narduzzi inherited a 6-6 program and has had five 8 win seasons. Sure, there were some head scratchers along the way, but I like the trajectory of the program even though he gives me chest pains with some of his decisions.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You basically just described the Coastal every single year. The 2004 Big East had 4 teams with 2 losses. In 10 seasons since Pitt joined the Coastal, a team with less than 2 conferences losses has won the Coastal only 3 times.

Walt's Big East had prime Miami and much better VT and WVU teams. Those three teams would be at the top of the current Coastal most years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT