ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats shot at Coach K

cease10

Sophomore
Oct 17, 2009
Nate Oats of Alabama went at Coach K. They say he's now a dead man walking....lol 😂🤣

Coach K has decided to no longer play anymore non-conf games this season.

2b02ewx.jpg
When they say he’s a “dead man walking,” does that imply the NCAA is going to hit him with some sanctions?

He’s right. There’s a reason folks keep bringing up 1995.

That's my guess.... put some heat and scrutiny on his program.

NCAA can walk on any campus and find violations....if they want to. They choose to enforce or ignore what they want to.

It was a joke.

As for what Coach K said, he is correct in that games shouldn't be taking place right now. Vaccines are coming. Season should have started or should be paused until early to mid February. I know bballinsider will come on here and say no because TV wants March Madness in March and not May but we're playing through a national tragedy of 3K bodies/day.

However, if he feels that strongly about not playing, he doesn't have to. They can take a few months off, play 13 games and make the NCAAT.

It was a joke.

As for what Coach K said, he is correct in that games shouldn't be taking place right now. Vaccines are coming. Season should have started or should be paused until early to mid February. I know bballinsider will come on here and say no because TV wants March Madness in March and not May but we're playing through a national tragedy of 3K bodies/day.

However, if he feels that strongly about not playing, he doesn't have to. They can take a few months off, play 13 games and make the NCAAT.
Tell me why games should be cancelled right now? Yes, the virus is running strong, but to date, only 12% of the scheduled games have been cancelled. And how many of those infected players have had major complications from the virus if they got it? I have not heard of one in college basketball. There has been 1 NFL player who has missed the remainder of this year due to Covid, but they expect him to be back next year. And the local kid was the only college player I have heard of who has died and it wasn't due to him playing football. So we should cancel or postpone games because some people are getting sick? Many, many more people die each day from car accidents. Should we stop driving cars for the next few months?

Tell me why games should be cancelled right now? Yes, the virus is running strong, but to date, only 12% of the scheduled games have been cancelled. And how many of those infected players have had major complications from the virus if they got it? I have not heard of one in college basketball. There has been 1 NFL player who has missed the remainder of this year due to Covid, but they expect him to be back next year. And the local kid was the only college player I have heard of who has died and it wasn't due to him playing football. So we should cancel or postpone games because some people are getting sick? Many, many more people die each day from car accidents. Should we stop driving cars for the next few months?

Because there is no time limit in which NCAA Basketball must complete its season. The time limit was put in place by TV (potentially). Deaths are going to start to drop significantly by February/March due to the vaccine and life can go back to semi-normal.

Because there is no time limit in which NCAA Basketball must complete its season. The time limit was put in place by TV (potentially). Deaths are going to start to drop significantly by February/March due to the vaccine and life can go back to semi-normal.

Right, I guess but:

1) These athletes right now with the natural bubble of athletics, no students on campus, and the frequent testing are by far right now more safe playing than not playing.

2) It’s not like basketball or any support is inherently dangerous for Covid.

so other than sort of virtue signaling, I don’t really understand the benefit to pausing the season. It’s not going to benefit the health of the players (and it actually might hurt their health and the health of their family members if these young people return to communities and families to spread it), which really should be the primary concern.

if the goal is to pause so we can get fans back in the stands, then I agree with you 100%. But just because the case counts and deaths are up, I don’t follow why the season has to stop.

Correct. I’ve told you this 100000000 times. MARCH madness. Not May.

And the other thing that put the time limit on the season? Coach K, Cal, Cade Cunningham ANY one and done. Because they don’t want to be playing games for free in May. They want to be training for the NBA.

Reactions: Ski11585
Right, I guess but:

1) These athletes right now with the natural bubble of athletics, no students on campus, and the frequent testing are by far right now more safe playing than not playing.

2) It’s not like basketball or any support is inherently dangerous for Covid.

so other than sort of virtue signaling, I don’t really understand the benefit to pausing the season. It’s not going to benefit the health of the players (and it actually might hurt their health and the health of their family members if these young people return to communities and families to spread it), which really should be the primary concern.

if the goal is to pause so we can get fans back in the stands, then I agree with you 100%. But just because the case counts and deaths are up, I don’t follow why the season has to stop.

Part of it is virtue signaling. Its a 9/11 and Pearl Harbor everyday but we're playing "amateur" sports.

Part of it is to have fans back in the stands. In March, April, May (for NCAAT), you can play games with fans instead of empty arenas

Part of it is since there will less viral pread by Feb/March, fewer teams will have to pause or miss games.

I get it, TV wants March Madness instead of May Madness and quite honestly, doesn't care at all about the regular season. If the entire regular season was canceled but there could still be March Madness, they'd be ok with that.

I'm a college basketball fan and want to see a good season. Vaccines are on the way. You can run this season February-Memorial Day and have very little interruptions, fans in the stands, and maybe 20K in some dome somewhere for the Final Four

Part of it is virtue signaling. Its a 9/11 and Pearl Harbor everyday but we're playing "amateur" sports.

Part of it is to have fans back in the stands. In March, April, May (for NCAAT), you can play games with fans instead of empty arenas

Part of it is since there will less viral pread by Feb/March, fewer teams will have to pause or miss games.

I get it, TV wants March Madness instead of May Madness and quite honestly, doesn't care at all about the regular season. If the entire regular season was canceled but there could still be March Madness, they'd be ok with that.

I'm a college basketball fan and want to see a good season. Vaccines are on the way. You can run this season February-Memorial Day and have very little interruptions, fans in the stands, and maybe 20K in some dome somewhere for the Final Four
No you absolutely cannot. All of the players who want to play in the NBA will leave right now and start training. This kills the already dreadful games to watch by taking out the guys who can make shots. This kills the product. This diminishes the money the networks can make. This diminishes the amount schools can make. This diminishes the amount coaches can make. This diminishes the amenities that players can receive.

the kids want to play. The parents want them to play. Only coaches who are scared by nature to take any losses and want a free year on their contracts do not want to play and Coach K. And like Oats says coach K doesn’t say those things if they win. It’s like when he “needed back surgery” and Capel took over. He doesn’t do that if they’re rolling

Congratulations, you’ve just murdered college basketball.

No you absolutely cannot. All of the players who want to play in the NBA will leave right now and start training. This kills the already dreadful games to watch by taking out the guys who can make shots. This kills the product. This diminishes the money the networks can make. This diminishes the amount schools can make. This diminishes the amount coaches can make. This diminishes the amenities that players can receive.

the kids want to play. The parents want them to play. Only coaches who are scared by nature to take any losses and want a free year on their contracts do not want to play and Coach K. And like Oats says coach K doesn’t say those things if they win. It’s like when he “needed back surgery” and Capel took over. He doesn’t do that if they’re rolling

Congratulations, you’ve just murdered college basketball.

Your declaration that there will be a mass exodus isnt true. Would a few leave? Probably? A dozen? Maybe. 50-100? No

Your declaration that there will be a mass exodus isnt true. Would a few leave? Probably? A dozen? Maybe. 50-100? No
84 early entrants last year that didn’t go back. So again, you’re wrong.

Secondly, if Zion RJ Barrett opted out of playing if this happened 2 years ago, does that mean duke does? Does that derail the entire tournament if the main guys at the main teams don’t play? I’m sorry but Pitt and Xavier Johnson isn’t bringing in the same money and eyeballs as Cade Cunningham and Oklahoma State. It’s just facts.

Here’s how your philosophy on posting should go. Ask for my perspective and adopt that. Your crazy conjecture in the world you live in is never based in reality.

Just the ones that matter. See how many eyeballs college hoops get with no blue bloods. I realize your perception of basketball is skewed by the fact that hoops doesn't exist outside of college, but not everybody wants to watch Western Delaware State vs. no name horizon school team.

Just the ones that matter. See how many eyeballs college hoops get with no blue bloods. I realize your perception of basketball is skewed by the fact that hoops doesn't exist outside of college, but not everybody wants to watch Western Delaware State vs. no name horizon school team.
He just doesn’t understand anything about college basketball other than what is in front of his face and his preconceived notions from 1990

Reactions: WannyandWalt
But he’s not wrong on this

The end game is the tournament
Only diehards like us care about the regular season

If he and his school feel that strongly about it, they are free to shut down for the season. He's collecting his paycheck and putting his kids at risk while trying to make himself sound like a martyr. Oh wow, they skipped a game against Gardner-Webb, what a brave guy! How will Duke get by without all that revenue?

Reactions: Pittisit4me
the kids want to play. The parents want them to play. Only coaches who are scared by nature to take any losses and want a free year on their contracts do not want to play

What nobody mentions is that these kids are going to play regardless of an NCAA season. I know another Pitt non-basketball athlete and he was training every day this summer, out with others, not social distancing and not wearing a mask. These kids aren't going to just spend 20-21 sitting in their basements gaining 20lbs and playing Xbox.

Forcing the kids into regimented controls and forcing the schools to pay for it is the absolute best case scenario.

What nobody mentions is that these kids are going to play regardless of an NCAA season. I know another Pitt non-basketball athlete and he was training every day this summer, out with others, not social distancing and not wearing a mask. These kids aren't going to just spend 20-21 sitting in their basements gaining 20lbs and playing Xbox.

Forcing the kids into regimented controls and forcing the schools to pay for it is the absolute best case scenario.
Duke sent the kids home and the kid who calls me after every one of their games is back home playing pickup with his boys with no masks or social distancing. How is that any safer?

Reactions: JRPITT and levance2
84 early entrants last year that didn’t go back. So again, you’re wrong.

Secondly, if Zion RJ Barrett opted out of playing if this happened 2 years ago, does that mean duke does? Does that derail the entire tournament if the main guys at the main teams don’t play? I’m sorry but Pitt and Xavier Johnson isn’t bringing in the same money and eyeballs as Cade Cunningham and Oklahoma State. It’s just facts.

Here’s how your philosophy on posting should go. Ask for my perspective and adopt that. Your crazy conjecture in the world you live in is never based in reality.

NCAAT ratings will only be slightly lower if the best players leave. College basketball has a very small national fanbase, similar to the NHL. They dont get mega ratings for the NCAAT because Average Joe Sports Fan is pumped to see upcoming lottery picks. Its due to betting, tradition, and drama (Cinderellas). 99% of sports fans can't name even 1 college basketball player.

NCAAT ratings will only be slightly lower if the best players leave. College basketball has a very small national fanbase, similar to the NHL. They dont get mega ratings for the NCAAT because Average Joe Sports Fan is pumped to see upcoming lottery picks. Its due to betting, tradition, and drama (Cinderellas). 99% of sports fans can't name even 1 college basketball player.
Yes Kentucky and Duke fans (which have the largest fanbases) will definitely be happy to watch a tournament where they don’t play because their best players opt out. It’s funny how you pivoted so quickly from your original notion though.

You honestly are clueless about college basketball man. You should take wolf’s advice and a 23 day hiatus from this board.

If he and his school feel that strongly about it, they are free to shut down for the season. He's collecting his paycheck and putting his kids at risk while trying to make himself sound like a martyr. Oh wow, they skipped a game against Gardner-Webb, what a brave guy! How will Duke get by without all that revenue?
He is quite the hypocrite. He is definitely playing the Martyr. Unfortunately, his word carries alot of weight in college hoops. I hope the ACC doesn't follow his silly advice.

The BIG 10 tried to get out ahead of the covid by cancelling the college football season and wound up looking like a bunch of morons when only the Pac-12 joined them. Hopefully nobody will take his advice and get the hairbrained idea to cancel games or pause the season.

Reactions: JRPITT
Because there is no time limit in which NCAA Basketball must complete its season.

Well of course there is. I mean if there is no time limit on finishing the season, when exactly did they complete the 2019-2020 basketball season?

If you plan to play in March you can always postpone to April or May if you have to. If you play on playing in May or June and you have to postpone, well, you aren't postponing, you are cancelling. Which is a death blow to the NCAA.

Yes Kentucky and Duke fans (which have the largest fanbases) will definitely be happy to watch a tournament where they don’t play because their best players opt out. It’s funny how you pivoted so quickly from your original notion though.

You honestly are clueless about college basketball man. You should take wolf’s advice and a 23 day hiatus from this board.

Which is why I said ratings would be slightly lower.

You are wrong there. Any Senior who thinks he has a shot at the NBA plus any of the underclass man will all leave to get ready for the draft. You are easily talking about 75-100 quality players.

You are wrong there. Any Senior who thinks he has a shot at the NBA plus any of the underclass man will all leave to get ready for the draft. You are easily talking about 75-100 quality players.
I have a “senior” this year at UCLA. We got him enough credit to graduate for free with a Master’s in 3.5. He pulled out last year: zero percent his fam doesn’t have him opt out to train if it’s in May. SMF doesn’t base his thoughts in real life

IMHO I think you should win something at a major college and do it consistently for years before you come for a Coach that's probably top three all time but that's just me.

IMHO I think you should win something at a major college and do it consistently for years before you come for a Coach that's probably top three all time but that's just me.
I mean he was asked about coach K’s comments he didn’t bring it up.

Just because K used to be a very good basketball coach doesn’t make him a genius on when and where kids should play basketball in the middle of a pandemic. If he was 4-0 he would have absolutely no problem playing. He’s a sanctimonious shit

There are no deaths now involving young kids.

At least its statistically very rare. Under 35 and you are more likely to die in a car crash than of Covid. IMHO you just accept that level of risk as reasonable. Just be considerate of others who are at a higher risk and don’t spread Covid.

I don't care about crybaby coaches who are going down as either the best or one of the best of all time. I enjoy him losing some luster here though, even if it's a few pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: PITT4UDAD
The rest of Oats press conference was spot on as well. Ignoring the harmful effects of the lockdowns and restrictions is ridiculous. People are dying BECAUSE of the lockdowns. Ignoring that leads to bad public policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT