ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Yarnell deserves a chance

I was hoping he would have been given a chance to knight when the offense went back out there with a little over 6 minutes in the game. Nothing to lose.

Reactions: Dan1911
You know he sucks, right? They see these guys every day. In the last two years, he's been behind Slovis, Patti, Jurkovec, and Veilleux. I'm laughing as I type that. It's like the Mt. Rushmore of mediocrity... and Yarnell couldn't even get a spot on it.
People say that all the time, but yet there are situations were coaches don’t put players in a good position to show that they are the better quarterback. You’ve got to think.………How did JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins start over Joe Burrow? Because the way that their practices were structured, and the system that they had the idiots couldn’t see that Joe Burrow was the better quarterback. it’s kind of the same way that the idiots at Pitt couldn’t see that Joe Flacco was a better quarterback than Tyler Palko ……….

Last edited:
I agree but it doesn't matter. They will all suck when the OL blows assignment and/or just flat out get beat the way the do on pass blocking situations.

People say that all the time, but yet there are situations were coaches don’t put players in a good position to show that they are the better quarterback. You’ve got to think.………How did JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins start over Joe Burrow? Because the way that their practices were structured, and the system that they had the idiots couldn’t see that Joe Burrow was the better quarterback. it’s kind of the same way that the idiots at Pitt couldn’t see that Joe Flacco was a better quarterback than Tyler Palko ……….

They had a lot of success with Barrett and Haskins. I don't think there was any need to start shaking things up. Yarnell, on the other hand, was a late-week coin flip with an Ivy League transfer to get a start against a MAC school. I'm thinking something closer to Joe Dirt than Joe Burrow, but we shall see.

You know he sucks, right? They see these guys every day. In the last two years, he's been behind Slovis, Patti, Jurkovec, and Veilleux. I'm laughing as I type that. It's like the Mt. Rushmore of mediocrity... and Yarnell couldn't even get a spot on it.
You’re probably right but the fact is that Yarnell is the only Pitt QB on the roster to win an FBS game with Pitt.

I am curious to see Veilleux with a week of full practice reps and game planning. He seems to have nice tools but clearly wasn’t ready to go last night.

You’re probably right but the fact is that Yarnell is the only Pitt QB on the roster to win an FBS game with Pitt.

I am curious to see Veilleux with a week of full practice reps and game planning. He seems to have nice tools but clearly wasn’t ready to go last night.
And “deserves a chance” isn’t how it works in the big time. This isn’t little league where everyone plays and the right fielder might be looking up at the sky for airplanes or doing spins out of boredom.

Not saying coaches don’t make errors in judgements or have stubbornness but by and large those who give their teams the best chances play.

CV wasn’t running the gameplan offense. NC was teeing off and Cig abandoned any idea of a gameplan he had. Not apologizing but let’s see how this dude does in the context of the whole game from the start. Then we’ll wait for the 4 year development of the Penn Hills kid. Lol.

I agree but it doesn't matter. They will all suck when the OL blows assignment and/or just flat out get beat the way the do on pass blocking situations.
You know this should have been ridiculously obvious after the Cincinnati game, where Pitt made Cincy’s defensive tackle look like the second coming of Aaron Donald and Bob Lilly

Nothing against Yarnell but I think the resume is like 3 passes versus Western Michigan…?

Guys, its extremely likely that Nate Yarnell is worse than Christian Villeaux, who is much worse than Phil Jurkovec, who isnt very good himself. The coaches see these guys in practice every day.
So that means that Tom Brady was worse than his predecessor and should never have seen the field.

Reactions: boseman7
You know this should have been ridiculously obvious after the Cincinnati game, where Pitt made Cincy’s defensive tackle look like the second coming of Aaron Donald and Bob Lilly
Also true of the other QB in town. But the mullet heads in this town don’t seem to realize the OL matters

Reactions: pittmaninwv
Nothing against Yarnell but I think the resume is like 3 passes versus Western Michigan…?
He had the highest qbr and rating of any QB since pickets WMU game the year before. He also had one, count it one completion against ranked ucla after patti went out briefly. He did not look great in spring game and barely started high school games. But I wouldn’t mind a second showing. He may well suck, but maybe not.

No media “experts” do.
I’ll defer as I have no clue. Don’t know who if anybody does much detailed analysis. I think Chris Carter used to and from what I heard he did a good job. But he moved on the dem Stillers I believe.

I’m guessing the glamor positions get the most coverage but anyone who doesn’t realize how critical in OL is is a moron.

You're giving this coaching staff a lot of credit km not sure they deserve.

Reactions: gary2
So that means that Tom Brady was worse than his predecessor and should never have seen the field.

Tom Brady sat behind one of the highest rated QB recruits in years in Drew Henson. 99.999% of the time, the starter is better than the backup and 3rd string. I wouldn’t mind seeing Yarnell either just for the heck of it but there's no way he is better than Jurkovec.

You're giving this coaching staff a lot of credit km not sure they deserve.
Right. Starting Collier one clear instance.

I also think their offensive scheme and sets Hurt pass protection more than talent

I’ll defer as I have no clue. Don’t know who if anybody does much detailed analysis. I think Chris Carter used to and from what I heard he did a good job. But he moved on the dem Stillers I believe.

I’m guessing the glamor positions get the most coverage but anyone who doesn’t realize how critical in OL is is a moron.
Last week, Wednesday I think (forgive, maybe different day) while I was getting new tires, the garage had the Fan on; the two afternoon clowns (to distinguish them from the mid-morning clowns) were blaming Kenny’s getting married right before camp as the reason for the bad offense. And they were serious.

Another one of them said Kenny is a “coward” because he has “only” had two concussions while Tua has had three, and Tua has been so much better than him. And that guy was also serious.

This is the level of “expert analysis” we get.

Jurk will start next game and probably should, because they need a win. His leash should be short and Yarnell should at least get a shot along with CV.

Jurk will start next game and probably should, because they need a win. His leash should be short and Yarnell should at least get a shot along with CV.

Jurkovec was absolutely fine vs UNC as if all the problems were fixed. Villeaux looked worse than Trey Anderson. In his post-game interview on 93.7, Narduzzi awkwardly tried to find something complimentary to say about his play when asked but couldn't and was fairly critical of him which is something you dont hear from him. Villeaux sucks. Yarnell is probably worse.

It’s really hard to play worse than Phil and Christian have done when they were given their opportunities. Sure, Phil started a little stronger against NC, but he faded fast. It’s pretty obvious Pitt would not have won, had he stayed in the game. Ne way. No How.

Maybe Yarnell doesn’t give the team a better chance, but no one really knows that for sure (not even his coaches) until he is actually given a chance to play in the game.

You know what’s worse than a coach putting the third string QB in the game, knowing there’s a chance he may not play as well ad the guys ahead of him? Not putting him in the game and all but guaranteeing your team many more low scoring, winless games.

Tom Brady sat behind one of the highest rated QB recruits in years in Drew Henson. 99.999% of the time, the starter is better than the backup and 3rd string. I wouldn’t mind seeing Yarnell either just for the heck of it but there's no way he is better than Jurkovec.
God help this team if that’s the case.

Bostick remarked on CV that he looked very natural in terms of arm motion and getting the ball out quickly. I would imagine after a week of practice he will look much better and there’s no better opponent on the schedule to get his first start than VT this week.

God help this team if that’s the case.

The coaches see these guys in practice. I dont understand why its so difficult to believe that Yarnell is worse than Phil and CV. They only let him throw 12 passes against Western Michigan. By the same token, CV had a similar start vs Rutgers so you could say he was better than Phil based on that but he clearly is not. I know it was limited action but CV looked as bad as you could possibly look.

They had a lot of success with Barrett and Haskins. I don't think there was any need to start shaking things up. Yarnell, on the other hand, was a late-week coin flip with an Ivy League transfer to get a start against a MAC school. I'm thinking something closer to Joe Dirt than Joe Burrow, but we shall see.
Yeah, these and Palko / Flacco are bad comparisons.

Palko was a good, not great, but good college QB.

At the time Flacco was a big guy who could sling it, but they knew what they had in Palko and he was better than the average starting QB.

That said ... current status is PJ is hot camel $hit. To me Villy is first in line behind him, but would rather see Yarney than PJ at this point for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT