ADVERTISEMENT

NBA stars of the past aren't athletic enough to play today

Generally, this is true. Watch old NBA games and its really cringey. Honestly, it looks worse than current NCAA. Players have gotten better, mainly because of training advances. If the other eras trained the way these players do from age 6 up, they would have been just as good but they didnt so they are considerably worse.
Thats the whole point, if LeBron was born in 1938. they would have forced him to play center because 6-8 dudes can't be guards ever and he'd probably be skinnier and they'd tell him that lifting weights is bad and smoking cigarettes is cool, that's why you can't definitively say today's guys would be better, unless they invent time travel.

Straight trash to think that the NBA players of yesteryear would not be athletic enough - who would be able to handle Darryl Dawkins in the post today? Or could jump with David Thompson? PLEASE!
Game was MUCH more physical back then. Now you have flagrant 1 if you sneeze on someone, flagrant 2 for contact, and defensive 3 seconds. Whoever heard of that???

Game was MUCH more physical back then. Now you have flagrant 1 if you sneeze on someone, flagrant 2 for contact, and defensive 3 seconds. Whoever heard of that???
Because it turns out people like to watch talent show their skills
Same way hockey is Better to watch know without all the obstruction, clutching , and grabbing .

Physical ?

Because it turns out people like to watch talent show their skills
Same way hockey is Better to watch know without all the obstruction, clutching , and grabbing .

Physical ?
People like physicality as well...see "The Bad Boys"

Being able to take four steps, and carry the ball really makes the game much easier
Exactly ... this was the point I was trying to make earlier. If makes you look way more athletic because the rules have been changed to allow this. You can play way faster and make more athletic moves to get to the basket nowadays.

Exactly ... this was the point I was trying to make earlier. If makes you look way more athletic because the rules have been changed to allow this. You can play way faster and make more athletic moves to get to the basket nowadays.
I might like NBA better if they played college rules and had college refs who were sticklers for rules like travelling or palming the ball etc. and go to the 30 second shot clock.

Reactions: TreesHero
Here's a good read on the evolution of the NBA. Like I mentioned above (from another study) height/length have been the biggest change along with the 3pt line being implemented.

If I were to adjust anything to make the game better, I would widen the court to free up more space and fix the "short" 3pt shot in the corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
That’s silly On so many levels
Thanks for the useless, vague opinion. It would be a better game if they followed the traditional rules of basketball, maybe there would be less fantabulous WOW plays, but that crap bores me, I'd rather see fundamental basketball by the rules. The reason YOUR POST IS STUPID is you say it's silly, but don't say why in detail. so WHY IS FOLLOWING THE RULES SILLY?

Thanks for the useless, vague opinion. It would be a better game if they followed the traditional rules of basketball, maybe there would be less fantabulous WOW plays, but that crap bores me, I'd rather see fundamental basketball by the rules. The reason YOUR POST IS STUPID is you say it's silly, but don't say why in detail. so WHY IS FOLLOWING THE RULES SILLY?
Dribbling excites you ?
I like the shooting and skill

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Dribbling excites you ?
I like the shooting and skill
That again is no answer. And yes, proper dribbling BY THE RULES, NO TRAVELLING, LIKE IN CBB, YES! That matters to me more that great shooting or fantabulous dunks, BRUTAL IN YOUR FACE DEFENSE, I WANT THAT! Not give them room to dunk or drain a 35-footer, 67-66 games are more exciting than 145-138.

That again is no answer. And yes, proper dribbling BY THE RULES, NO TRAVELLING, LIKE IN CBB, YES! That matters to me more that great shooting or fantabulous dunks, BRUTAL IN YOUR FACE DEFENSE, I WANT THAT! Not give them room to dunk or drain a 35-footer, 67-66 games are more exciting than 145-138.
You don’t watch the NBA it’s clear .
You enjoy worse basketball

Players are constantly getting away with traveling in college basketball.

Yes. Essentially as often or more often than in the NBA.
No no. Sports authority @Pitt79 says its better fundamentals! Just like those low scores are the product of good defense and not, you know, the fact that anywhere from 7-10 guys on the court at any time are super mediocre at scoring.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
You don’t watch the NBA it’s clear .
You enjoy worse basketball
Better or Worse is SUBJECTIVE. I actually do watch some NBA, and to me, college games are SUBJECTIVELY way more satisfying and entertaining than NBA games. Is it WORSE? What's the definition of worse? Worse talent, yes, the talent is worse, but the games are less exciting IN MY OPINION, meaning WORSE, and like I said and it's indisputable, what people prefer is subjective, it's like being a Rap fan vs, a Country music fan. I do plan to watch some of the NBA Finals, but that's never as entertaining as March Madness.

Players are constantly getting away with traveling in college basketball.
Not as bad as NBA, there's a video going around on social media of a highlight reel of blatantly laughable travels in the NBA not called.

No no. Sports authority @Pitt79 says its better fundamentals! Just like those low scores are the product of good defense and not, you know, the fact that anywhere from 7-10 guys on the court at any time are super mediocre at scoring.
Maybe that's what makes the games better? NBA should do some stuff to make scoring harder and strengthen defense.

Imagine saying fundamentals were better 30-40 years ago when Allen Iverson doing a crossover on Jordan was considered a "breakthrough" in dribbling in 1996.

7 foot-plus players do this today. I think either most haven't watched the NBA since LeBron was a rookie, or don't understand what "fundamentals" are.

Btw, Dr.J was a 25% 3pt shooter on .3 attempts per game. Him and Dawkins would get cooked today.

Imagine saying fundamentals were better 30-40 years ago when Allen Iverson doing a crossover on Jordan was considered a "breakthrough" in dribbling in 1996.

7 foot-plus players do this today. I think either most haven't watched the NBA since LeBron was a rookie, or don't understand what "fundamentals" are.

Btw, Dr.J was a 25% 3pt shooter on .3 attempts per game. Him and Dawkins would get cooked today.
Yep
Agree 100%

Basketball and hockey are far better when talent is allowed to show their skills - and obstruction is penalized .
Even the NFL is adapting this way

Maybe that's what makes the games better? NBA should do some stuff to make scoring harder and strengthen defense.
If the worst nba team played a college all star team -
The college team would likely not break 40 in 60 minutes .

You’re an idiot

Reactions: LGP1989
If the worst nba team played a college all star team -
The college team would likely not break 40 in 60 minutes .

You’re an idiot
YOU ARE SO STUPID :) that's not at all what I'm saying, I know NBA teams would crush the best college teams in a game, I'm not talking at all about which are the superior teams or players, NBA BY FAR, I'm saying that my preference, my subjective opinion is that college games are more fun FOR ME to watch than NBA games. get it?

YOU ARE SO STUPID :) that's not at all what I'm saying, I know NBA teams would crush the best college teams in a game, I'm not talking at all about which are the superior teams or players, NBA BY FAR, I'm saying that my preference, my subjective opinion is that college games are more fun FOR ME to watch than NBA games. get it?
Yes -
You enjoy worse basketball by less talented people

You said the defense is worse in the NBA , which is insanely stupid and wrong

Yes -

The defense is worse in the NBA, part of it is that the college offensive players aren't as good and part of it is they don't allow the physical aggresive defense the do in college, but who cares? It's better basketball with worse players, better games usually, skill level and talent aren't what makes a game better or worse. The most memorable exciting game I saw this year was an Army/Navy game that went into OT on a Saturday afternoon in February, and it had nothing to do with talent level.

Yes -

But really? Why does it matter to you that I prefer watching college basketball over watching NBA? I'm pretty sure if we put a poll on this board I wouldn't be surprised if most people chose watching college ball over NBA, you don't have to agree but why do you care if I are anyone else prefers college over NBA?

The defense is worse in the NBA, part of it is that the college offensive players aren't as good and part of it is they don't allow the physical aggresive defense the do in college, but who cares? It's better basketball with worse players, better games usually, skill level and talent aren't what makes a game better or worse. The most memorable exciting game I saw this year was an Army/Navy game that went into OT on a Saturday afternoon in February, and it had nothing to do with talent level.
How are you objectively assessing the quality of defense between the two? Seems like it’s all vibes for you.

How are you objectively assessing the quality of defense between the two? Seems like it’s all vibes for you.
Yeah, that's all it is. I'm not looking at any stats or anything, it seems more intense in college ball, it seems to me a lot of people agree with me, some of you are acting like I'm a unicorn the only person who likes CBB over NBA

Yeah, that's all it is. I'm not looking at any stats or anything, it seems more intense in college ball, it seems to me a lot of people agree with me, some of you are acting like I'm a unicorn the only person who likes CBB over NBA

Anyone who thinks that they play better defense in college than they do in the NBA is simply showing that they have no idea at all what they are actually watching.

I was just posting, a guy like Erving, or Connie Hawkins, or Oscar Robinson, Wilt, Dominque, of course Jordan and Magic and many others.....well.....the guys today aren't more athletic or better. But....

E4X_kxCWYAoesXd.jpg

31-los-angeles-lakers-looks-841717323.jpg

I was just posting, a guy like Erving, or Connie Hawkins, or Oscar Robinson, Wilt, Dominque, of course Jordan and Magic and many others.....well.....the guys today aren't more athletic or better. But....

E4X_kxCWYAoesXd.jpg

31-los-angeles-lakers-looks-841717323.jpg
They don't look much different than Luca or Joker

Those Detroit Piston's days were just brutal. Brutal basketball, and I don't mean that in a good way.
That period, like 85-97 until the end of the Jordan Era in Chicago was the time I really was a big NBA fan and really enjoyed the game.

Really? So, you're saying NBA was unpopular during the Magic vs Bird, MJ Bulls, Bad Boys Eras?
Not really -
Because the majority of games weren’t televised.
Are you going to pretend travelling was less frequent then ?

But sure / tell me more about how better the nba was in 1985 to 1991

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT