ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA bids/resumes

_DBHoops

Scholarship
Feb 17, 2021
LOCKS (4/10) - 133, 141, 165, 197
If any of these guys failed to earn an autobid at ACCs, they would be one of the first 1-2 guys up for an at-large. Some might have lower seeds than last year but as things stand they are firmly in.

BUBBLE (4/10) - 125, 157, 184, 285 all hovering #25-35 (33 wrestlers per weight class but always a few bid thieves)
Curry has a nice win over Noto but losses to Lehigh's backup and Lehigh's other backup, and a guy from Cal Poly. Lots of close wins over dudes who are not good. Sam Latona has been a disaster this year, six losses all to decent wrestlers but zero good wins. He and Curry will very likely wrestle twice and I think Curry needs to win at least one to get in. GC also needs to get past Spencer Moore from UNC.

Cleary has never qualified before but is having a solid year. Nice wins over Hartman and Zapf more than balance his one questionable loss to OSU's Hubbard. ACC should get four total bids at 157 and as long as Cleary can avoid a loss to Virginia or Duke at ACCs he's likely headed to Detroit.

Harvey has a little more name recognition as a 2x NQ but no great wins this year. There are three guys in the ACC right are the NCAAs cutoff (Harvey, Battista, Kane) so I'd figure the matches between those three determine who goes and who don't.

Slinger is looking nice I think! He has several Ls but they are all to absolute units (except Lehigh's 23-10 redshirt; he and Slinger have each pinned each other this year). Good wins over the starters from Navy, Rutgers, Maryland and of course Virginia. Basically he is 4-0 against other bubble type guys, 5-1 if you include the Lehigh redshirt as he's about that good. There's no one in the ACC that I'd say Slinger CAN'T beat although I think Traxler from VT runs the table.

NOT HAPPENING (2) - 149, 174
No chance of qualifying these weights unless someone earns an autobid at ACCs. And wouldn't you know it, the two weights where we lost our preseason starters the week school started. Dang. Love Lledo to pull an upset once in a while but he is the worst 174 in the conference by a huge margin. Same with whoever we run out at 149, minus the upset part lmao.

Reactions: lucac and Ryno53
Good write up.

I know the goal is to redshirt McMillen and Augustine, but I couldn’t help but wonder how they would rank. Would they both potentially have a chance to qualify? Would we potentially see all 10 weights qualify?

Reactions: _DBHoops and gary2
Good write up.

I know the goal is to redshirt McMillen and Augustine, but I couldn’t help but wonder how they would rank. Would they both potentially have a chance to qualify? Would we potentially see all 10 weights qualify?
The short answer is no.

149 and 174 are brutal in the ACC, both would basically have to beat a top 15 guy to qualify. If they had wrestled a full season in the lineup and had built up some solid wins, then maybe but I think the right decision was made on both. Luca wrestled two OT matches with Kernan in the early season, and Brock just hasn't been wrestling matches so I don't know what's up there.

Reactions: lucac
Nino’s chances at a ncaa championship may have increased today as Ferarari was in a serious car accident today. He was apparently life flighted to UO med center. I do not know of his current condition.

• Wow
Reactions: persp and jctrack
Sounds like he will be okay however looks like he was air lifted. Prayers for him. Early report was the one of the football coaches at OSU might have been a hero

Don't like Ferrari at all but man I hope the kid is ok and sounds like he will be no broken bones or anything so that's good news for him

Reactions: persp
I had heard that nothing is broken, but he is on oxygen with damage/bleeding from lungs.

Reactions: lucac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT