Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
  • Slovis/Pitt: #95
  • Jurkovec/BC: #109
  • Slovis/BYU: #56
  • Jurk/Pitt: #119

The floor is now open for discussion.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
In my mind, it's more about lamenting the OC we are currently married to.

Narduzzi missed the boat on his opportunity to elevate this program after 2021. We had more talent than just about any team on our schedule in 2022 (keep in mind, we still had Addison). He needed to hire someone who could install an offense that was easy to pick up and keep the momentum going. Instead, he went with an offense that is less fun to play in, has confusing terminology, and did not fit Slovis' abilities whatsoever. We won 9 games in spite of it, which is a testament to the talent advantage we had and didn't capitalize on.

It was still a good season in the annuls of Pitt history, but it could have been a springboard season.

BYU QB Rankings (QBR)
2023 #56 (against the 139th rated schedule)
2022 #15
2021 #15
2020 #4

Slovis isn't good, and neither is Jurk. The dig is really at FCJ, and if he doesn't get his sh!t together he'll be looking for his next job come December.

ACC Total QBR thru Wk3
1. Van Dyke, 89.6
2. Travis, 87.9
3. Leonard, 87.6
4. Shrader, 84.0
5. Maye, 83.8
6. King, 74.5
7. Plummer, 72.6
8. Colandrea, 61.5
9. Wells, 56.1
10. Castellanos, 52.1
11. Armstrong, 51.4
12. Drones, 51.1
13. Klubnik, 43.4
14. Griffis, 41.1
15. Jurkovec, 29.1

BYU QB Rankings (QBR)
2022 #15
2021 #15
2020 #4

Slovis isn't good, and neither is Jurk. The dig is really at FCJ, and if he doesn't get his sh!t together he'll be looking for his next job come December.
His shit hasn't been together since like 2008. I doubt very much he'll be reborn between now and December.

Narduzzi missed the boat on his opportunity to elevate this program after 2021. We had more talent than just about any team on our schedule in 2022 (keep in mind, we still had Addison). He needed to hire someone who could install an offense that was easy to pick up and keep the momentum going. Instead, he went with an offense that is less fun to play in, has confusing terminology, and did not fit Slovis' abilities whatsoever. We won 9 games in spite of it, which is a testament to the talent advantage we had and didn't capitalize on.

It was still a good season in the annuls of Pitt history, but it could have been a springboard season.
Bingo. Unfortunately when you brought up these issues last year a large majority of fans hit you with “but we finished top 25!”

Last year was a massive lost opportunity. This year was always going to be a drop off, but it’s why going 9-3 or 10-2 last year with a return to charlotte was fairly important. Add cignetti to the equation all of this together could rank it

When the announcers are harping on his horrible body language and terrible play its obvious something has to be done. However once you bench him he doesn't seem like the type to refocus and come back better. Instead he would likely just quit like he has done with his other schools.

I have never liked jurk or cignetti. this is a 5-7 team and hopefully a true reassessment by Duzz of his coaching staff.

His shit hasn't been together since like 2008. I doubt very much he'll be reborn between now and December.
Then I expect he will be gone and people will rejoice. At least until we hire the next OC everyone hates.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't mind a shakeup on the offensive side of the ball. More interested in adding recruiters than simply replacing coaches. I don't care what style or scheme they run.

Reactions: cashisking884
Then I expect he will be gone and people will rejoice. At least until we hire the next OC everyone hates.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't mind a shakeup on the offensive side of the ball. More interested in adding recruiters than simply replacing coaches. I don't care what style or scheme they run.

We certainly need someone who appeals to quarterbacks a little better. MacVittie - Pickett - Patti - Beville was a decent four-year stretch. I know they didn't all turn out to be decent; I'm just saying as the crap shoot goes, those guys are fine to bring in. Since then, we've recruited the position like I would expect from UMass or something.

Yep.

The whole thing needs to be burned down and Narduzzi needs to have his “Kiffin” moment.

When Mario Cristobal is out there running the Air Raid now, its time to make sure you aren’t the last offensive dinosaur in the building.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
When the announcers are harping on his horrible body language and terrible play its obvious something has to be done. However once you bench him he doesn't seem like the type to refocus and come back better. Instead he would likely just quit like he has done with his other schools.

I have never liked jurk or cignetti. this is a 5-7 team and hopefully a true reassessment by Duzz of his coaching staff.
This probably should have been a red flag.:

Jurkovec reportedly said that he was "losing the love for the game" as a member of the Fighting Irish. Per the report, Jurkovec's issues in South Bend were not related to playing time.

We certainly need someone who appeals to quarterbacks a little better. MacVittie - Pickett - Patti - Beville was a decent four-year stretch. I know they didn't all turn out to be decent; I'm just saying as the crap shoot goes, those guys are fine to bring in. Since then, we've recruited the position like I would expect from UMass or something.
MacVittie - Pickett - Patti - Beville was a decent four-year stretch.

Dude, take Pickett out of that equation and you have a bunch of guys who were never good enough to get on the field anywhere that they played. That ain't decent.
Pitt has struggled mightily to recruit the most important position on the field. That has been an issue since the end of the WLANNY era. But it is incumbent on the head coach to change that. Even though Pickett was up and down until his last year, he was obviously a good recruiting score. The coaches need to pick it up in that dept and find more of them. Running this $hit offense isn't going to do them any favors in the QB recruiting dept. For example, Slovis committed to Whipple's offense. Then we bait and switched him, stuck him with an OC and scheme no NFL hopeful QB would want to play in.

MacVittie - Pickett - Patti - Beville was a decent four-year stretch.

Dude, take Pickett out of that equation and you have a bunch of guys who were never good enough to get on the field anywhere that they played. That ain't decent.
I specified that I was talking about it from a recruiting perspective because the QB position is always going to be a crap shoot to some degree. There are plenty of years where the #1 QB recruit in the country is a complete bust. Does that not still make it a big recruiting win at the time? You obviously have to bring in guys with potential (all four of them were rated respectably) and hope they develop.

If we're talking about it from a hindsight perspective, then I guess I can't call Dieffenbach and Dugger disappointments for a few more years.

I specified that I was talking about it from a recruiting perspective because the QB position is always going to be a crap shoot to some degree. There are plenty of years where the #1 QB recruit in the country is a complete bust. Does that not still make it a big recruiting win at the time? You obviously have to bring in guys with potential (all four of them were rated respectably) and hope they develop.

If we're talking about it from a hindsight perspective, then I guess I can't call Dieffenbach and Dugger disappointments for a few more years.
I understood what you were saying--and what I'm saying is the hit rate for this staff on the types of guys you're talking about is terrible, which is why we end up in the portal looking for a starter every year. If this program is ever going to take a real step forward, that has to improve. How about bringing in multiple QBs in every class? That's not exactly a novel concept. Certain coaches--Brian Kelly is one, Steve Spurrier was another, bring in as many QBs as they can sign in every class, and see who emerges. They are not all highly rated guys, there are reaches. I once heard Kelly describe it in simple terms--the guy who does the best job of moving the team down the field is going to win the job. Often it's not the highest rated guy, the guy with the best arm, the guy with the best size/speed, etc. It has more to do with how the guys in the huddle respond to him, and whether he moves the offense down the field. That's why guys like Ian Book end up starting over much more highly rated guys like Jurk or Drew Pyne, or why a lightly recruited guy like Tom Brady started over Drew Henson, the top HS recruit in the country. Or in other cases, why Spurrier used a 3 headed monster at QB with Jesse Palmer, Rex Grossman and Doug Johnson.

Of course, this is where it helps to have an offense-oriented head coach.

Yep.

The whole thing needs to be burned down and Narduzzi needs to have his “Kiffin” moment.

When Mario Cristobal is out there running the Air Raid now, its time to make sure you aren’t the last offensive dinosaur in the building.
The only teams left doing it with success are places like Michigan and Georgia, and that’s with superior talent. Teams that have tried to hold on to this old school slog style like Iowa have massively faded. Even freaking sable switched to an up tempo no huddle years ago.

• Slovis/Pitt: #95
  • Jurkovec/BC: #109
  • Slovis/BYU: #56
  • Jurk/Pitt: #119

The floor is now open for discussion.
Slovis looks like Marino compared to Jurkovec. Jurkovec has to be the worst 6th year QB to ever play in a game.

I understood what you were saying--and what I'm saying is the hit rate for this staff on the types of guys you're talking about is terrible, which is why we end up in the portal looking for a starter every year. If this program is ever going to take a real step forward, that has to improve. How about bringing in multiple QBs in every class? That's not exactly a novel concept. Certain coaches--Brian Kelly is one, Steve Spurrier was another, bring in as many QBs as they can sign in every class, and see who emerges. They are not all highly rated guys, there are reaches. I once heard Kelly describe it in simple terms--the guy who does the best job of moving the team down the field is going to win the job. Often it's not the highest rated guy, the guy with the best arm, the guy with the best size/speed, etc. It has more to do with how the guys in the huddle respond to him, and whether he moves the offense down the field. That's why guys like Ian Book end up starting over much more highly rated guys like Jurk or Drew Pyne, or why a lightly recruited guy like Tom Brady started over Drew Henson, the top HS recruit in the country. Or in other cases, why Spurrier used a 3 headed monster at QB with Jesse Palmer, Rex Grossman and Doug Johnson.

Of course, this is where it helps to have an offense-oriented head coach.

I'm just saying - there's no way to know for sure who is going to pan out. If there were, Alabama wouldn't be playing musical starters with three guys who I'm sure were all 4 or 5 stars.

I'll take my chances on bringing in a top 750ish recruit every year (Pickett was 736; MacVittie was 427; Patti was 759; Beville was 554... that's outstanding by Pitt standards) over not bringing in anyone at all or bringing in a G5 flip and a complete reach like we've done in some of the classes since then. If you give me a top 750 every year, chances are at least one is going to pan out every few years. Know one can see the future, so you have to play the odds. And Yarnell was in the last five years, too, but he was ranked 1,030 nationally (decent, but not great).

And the odds say that no QB recruit in two classes + two very lightly-recruited/not-highly-ranked guys aren't going to produce good results. And Yarnell was also in the last five years, of course, but he was ranked 1,030 nationally (decent, but not great).

Last edited:
BYU QB Rankings (QBR)
2022 #15
2021 #15
2020 #4

The big dig first needs to be with HCPN.

He is the ultimate decision maker and a HC who refuses to learn a damn thing about his offense.

Because of is it,

• He hired a guy like FJC.

• He doubled down that Phil would be great this season even though he’s been mediocre elsewhere and supposedly during practice here

•He is the one still talking about “not dumping” a QB who now has literally cost his team two games.

The buck stops with Narduzzi.

The only teams left doing it with success are places like Michigan and Georgia, and that’s with superior talent. Teams that have tried to hold on to this old school slog style like Iowa have massively faded. Even freaking sable switched to an up tempo no huddle years ago.
Michigan also has a very dynamic, very athletic QB with a very good arm that gives them another dimension to put stress on the defense.

The first line above, that he blew his chance to advance the program after 2021. It was our only window to even possibly get Pitt out of its rut that is going on half a century now. Slovis, Cig, slam, window shut. What we are experiencing right now is a ramification of that failure.

In my mind, it's more about lamenting the OC we are currently married to.
We aren't married to anyone. If Cignetti doesn't turn this thing around, Duzz will get rid of him and find someone who will.

But I think it's important to be honest about how Pitt got in this situation, and not all of that blame there goes on Cigs. Everyone knew the date Pitt was going to be without Kenny Pickett. During the 3 years beforehand, Whipple recruited Davis Beville, Joey Yellen. Duzz recruited Nate Yarnell and Kedon Slovis. Enter Cigs for 2022 after Duzz had already had Slovis. Cignetti pretty had to go with KS and that was thought to be 2 year marriage. I don't think it was a good fit for either one, and Jurk was brought in to either compete with Slovis or be a band-aid/temp solution if Slovis bolted. Pitt didn't really have anyone else to play. Christian Veilleux is pretty much Cig's first real recruit that he brought in to groom as a QB.

Cignetti has been at this a lot of years. I think many people are under the assumption that FCJ thinks "Wow, Jurk is the number one guy in the whole wide world I want running my offense. Thank God he has another year of elgibility left!" Speaking only for myself, I refuse to believe he is that stupid. However, if he keeps trotting him out there, I reserve the right to change my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT