ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl team's comparison

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
MSU (11-2) PITT (11-3) 2021-22 (bowl win for MSU)
MSU (5-7) PITT (9-4) 2022 (bowl win for Pitt)
MSU (3-7) PITT (2-8) 2023 (1 conference win so far)

From a NY6 bowl game to the toilet bowl in just two years. At least our overall three year record is "better", but how quickly the bottom can fall out for two similar programs ...

Last edited:
Cincinnati was in the playoffs in 2021.

Baylor was 12-2, Big 12 Champions with a Sugar Bowl win and top 5 ranking.

TCU went from Title game to more than likely missing a bowl game.

Things can sure turn quickly.
Things can indeed turn quickly. Of the added teams above, @TD_6082, do they all have the same HC as they had when they reached their recent success?

I know that Cincinnati doesn't; and honestly, Satterfield is no Fickell. UC may wallow in the lower half of the Big 12 for a few years.

FTR, the UC loss was perhaps our worst loss of the year

Not sure about Baylor and TCU HC's without googling; but the fact is that both Pitt and MSU had the same HC going forward from the Peach Bowl

Well, Sparty did until their HC got ousted for other reasons this year ...

I've been saying for multiple years that programs like Pitt go through cycles and are going to have down years and I expected this to be one of them.

It's just how down this year is that is the problem. And what ramifications that might have on the future. You can easily weather a 6-6 season. 2-10 is different.

Reactions: pittmeister
I've been saying for multiple years that programs like Pitt go through cycles and are going to have down years and I expected this to be one of them.

It's just how down this year is that is the problem. And what ramifications that might have on the future. You can easily weather a 6-6 season. 2-10 is different.

2-10 would be weatherable if we were missing a legit starting QB due to injury (like Stull missing the year) and lost a lot of close games vs a difficult schedule. Losing to Cincy, WVU, Wake, Syr, and VT is just bad. You absolutely have to win a couple of those.

Cincinnati was in the playoffs in 2021.
Baylor was 12-2, Big 12 Champions with a Sugar Bowl win and top 5 ranking.
TCU went from Title game to more than likely missing a bowl game.
Things can sure turn quickly for programs not named Ohio State, Alabama or Georgia.

Fixed your post for you 😆

Looking at Michigan State, Dantonio had a 3-9 season in 2016 and bounced back with an excellent 10-3 record. The two years after that were both 7-6.

Northwestern bottomed out with Pat Fitzgerald in 2019 with a 3-9 record. 2020 brought an impressive 7-2 season before going 3-9 and 1-11.

Anyone else out there last long beyond a terrible season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT