ADVERTISEMENT

Ncaa

Promise probably wasn't the right word, if they want to work camps they are not told no.
I was being somewhat sarcastic in my response. PSU has been supposedly doing exactly that for years as part of their recruiting. The athletes accept a half scholie and are told they can work in their wrestling club after eligibility is up for more than enough money to pay the rest of their school costs.
I know for a fact that Iowa used to do that in early Gable years using Jay Robinson intensive wrestling camps. Wrestlers worked the summer camps making more than enough money to pay over half their college expenses. The rules tightened up putting limits on the the amount athletes could be paid.

With the limited number of scholarships in wrestling, it amazes me how PSU is able to have so many wrestlers from around the country, who are purportedly paying 50% or 75% of the tuition and fees charged to out of state students. Nickal is from Texas; the two Nevills from California; Hall from Minnesota; Lee from Indiana I think; Berge from Minnesota; Bravo-Young from Arizona; Austin Hoopes from Wyoming; Pipher from Colorado; Rasheed from NY; Cassar from NJ; and Teske from Iowa. That is 12 wrestlers all of whom have the qualifications to get scholarships. Add to that the PA kids like Nolf,
Joseph and Verkleeren, and that is at least 15 kids sharing scholarships. I can see PA kids taking a 1/2 scholarship and paying the balance, but that is a lot of money for out of state kids.

Either there are a lot of wealthy families producing excellent wrestlers, or they are all excellent students with academic scholarships, or there is something fishy going on involving the alumni who bankroll the program. It’s just too many out of state wrestlers to be Kosher.

it is Penn State. A program of their integrity is always under suspicion.

it is Penn State. A program of their integrity is always under suspicion.

To be fair it is happening at every big program but not to the degree because how much more money PSU has.

The reason these camps are so successful at every school is because the former wrestler coming back to work them.

It should be noted that more than a few of these elite wrestlers are coming from families with above average house hold incomes.

The Nevills presumably have money. They sent one of the 4 sons to Stanford with no wrestling scholarship. That costs close to $400,000 now for 4 years.

But, I checked a lot of rosters and I didn’t see any that had the number of out of state wrestlers PSU has, with so many coming from states not even geographically close. I am sure the success attracts a lot of elite wrestlers from all over, but being attracted by a school and having the financial capacity to attend it are two different things.

VT has a lot of out of state wrestlers, but almost all come from states geographically close (NJ, Ohio and PA) where certain expenses (travel home, families coming to watch you wrestle) are less. No other team has anywhere near the number of wrestlers from places more than 1,000 miles away. Even Cornell, with the allure of an Ivy school and only academic rides, which we all know are easier to get for athletes, has a roster built on wrestlers hailing from within driving distance.

If the NCAA doesn’t look at how many counselors the camps are hiring and what they are being paid, then it isn’t doing it’s job. But, if it was doing its job, it wouldn’t be the NCAA.

I honestly think the program which could challenge PSU if it really wanted to is Cornell. With the academic prestige and the full academic scholarships it has available, it could do it. But, I don’t think an Ivy League school wants to be preeminent in a sport like wrestling. Cornell probably is very content with consistent top ten finishes.

The problem the NCAA has no control over student wants his college career is over and the NLWC like all clubs are not part of the university and no authority over them.

The Ivy League doesn't have redshirts and that hurts.

The problem the NCAA has no control over student wants his college career is over and the NLWC like all clubs are not part of the university and no authority over them.

The Ivy League doesn't have redshirts and that hurts.

The Ivy League were the pioneers in using the "Grey Shirt" instead of a red shirt. They also do not offer scholarships and instead use grants and financial aid. In some cases they have an advantage if they can find enough elite wrestlers that also have elite academic credentials.

The Nevills presumably have money. They sent one of the 4 sons to Stanford with no wrestling scholarship. That costs close to $400,000 now for 4 years.

But, I checked a lot of rosters and I didn’t see any that had the number of out of state wrestlers PSU has, with so many coming from states not even geographically close. I am sure the success attracts a lot of elite wrestlers from all over, but being attracted by a school and having the financial capacity to attend it are two different things.

VT has a lot of out of state wrestlers, but almost all come from states geographically close (NJ, Ohio and PA) where certain expenses (travel home, families coming to watch you wrestle) are less. No other team has anywhere near the number of wrestlers from places more than 1,000 miles away. Even Cornell, with the allure of an Ivy school and only academic rides, which we all know are easier to get for athletes, has a roster built on wrestlers hailing from within driving distance.

If the NCAA doesn’t look at how many counselors the camps are hiring and what they are being paid, then it isn’t doing it’s job. But, if it was doing its job, it wouldn’t be the NCAA.

I honestly think the program which could challenge PSU if it really wanted to is Cornell. With the academic prestige and the full academic scholarships it has available, it could do it. But, I don’t think an Ivy League school wants to be preeminent in a sport like wrestling. Cornell probably is very content with consistent top ten finishes.

I think your drilling a dry well here. This topic has been debated ad nauseam on most of the other wrestling sites. Penn State and the BIG conference are equal to Alabama and the SEC in football.

Whether you love them or hate them, Sanderson has created a culture and system at PSU that every elite wrestler must consider when selecting a school. If your family has funded your dream for 10+ (often more) years (camps, clubs, elite national tournies, year round strength and conditioning coaches, etc) it isn't that much of a stretch to believe that same family would accept a 50% scholarship at PSU when other schools may be offering 75%.

Alabama offers the elite FB player a proven path to the NFL. PSU offers the elite wrestler a proven path to National Championships (team and individual) and World Championships post grad.

Finally, 100% scholarships are incredibly rare (for any NCAA D1 program). It would not surprise me if PSU has not had anyone with a 100% scholarship for Sanderson's tenure at PSU. The elite kids PSU attracts are factoring in much more than the financials when selecting a school.

That is more than I make in a whole year at Home depot!

Reactions: mike412
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT