ADVERTISEMENT

ND DC Lea to Vandy

I think that’s a good hire for them and a good landing spot for him. I see it as a win-win; VU can have confidence that he likely won’t leave quick due to Lea being an alum, which will likely buy him as much time as he needs to build that program up.

Good luck to him (he’ll need it!). Would love to see Vandy become competitive, and would love to get a home-and-home with them going.

Reactions: PITT_PANTHER17
There aren’t many HC jobs and there’s a ton of guaranteed money. And if he flames out he can go back to being a coordinator. He’d be a fool not to take it.
Which is why I agreed to both the gentlemen's point above me. But if you want to lead a successful program, Vandy ain't it. Far too many obstacles.

Money. You can almost always get a coordinator or someone that hasn't yet tapped into the P5 HC money. Unless his agent is fielding a lot of phone calls about his services for other HC positions, he would be a fool not to take it.

It's a chance to go home. He went to high school at MBA, which is literally a couple of miles down the road from the Vanderbilt campus. It's definitely not a place you can stay and win long term though.

Probably $3-4 million reasons, plus the alum status can get him 3-4 years easily.
Not too difficult to retire, with all that green in the bank.

yeah but if you're a hot up and comer at ND, you'll have options. this is like one of the prettiest girls in school going to prom with an ugly meathead b/c he was the first to ask.

For Lea’s sake, I hope Vanderbilt committed to investing more in the program upon his hiring.

That's probably doubtful. David Williams, the former Vandy AD that kicked the bucket at The Pancake Pantry not that long ago, had a good working relationship with James Franklin. Franklin was able to grease up donors in a way that had not been done there before, and he got a new indoor practice facility built, and they went in for some recruits that they would never entertain in the past. That slight change in culture seems to have been short lived, at least for football.

That's probably doubtful. David Williams, the former Vandy AD that kicked the bucket at The Pancake Pantry not that long ago, had a good working relationship with James Franklin. Franklin was able to grease up donors in a way that had not been done there before, and he got a new indoor practice facility built, and they went in for some recruits that they would never entertain in the past. That slight change in culture seems to have been short lived, at least for football.
You’re probably not wrong. I think we’ll find out soon enough; from what I’ve read, Vanderbilt is currently deciding between renovating their stadium or moving into a new off-campus stadium with the group pushing to get the MLS in Nashville.

Hopefully Lea gets enough sway to make sure they don’t cheap out..

Reactions: jctrack
It’s called upward mobility and so he deserved it. He will win 4 games a year and they will be happy

I think that’s a good hire for them and a good landing spot for him. I see it as a win-win; VU can have confidence that he likely won’t leave quick due to Lea being an alum, which will likely buy him as much time as he needs to build that program up.

Good luck to him (he’ll need it!). Would love to see Vandy become competitive, and would love to get a home-and-home with them going.

Well if Pitt’s P5 scheduling history is any indicator that would bode well for them. From our standpoint I’m not sure what there is to gain from playing them though.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Bobby Johnson actually held on to that job for 8 years.

Derrick Mason held it for 7, and imo, did a respectable job for the first 5 years. I watched a few minutes of the game against Tennessee, and they just don't have any players. Without a doubt the slowest P5 team I've seen this year. I don't know if Mason had a chance to jump ship or not (no pun intended)

James Franklin & Gerry DiNardo are the only two coaches I can think of that were able to use it as a springboard to a better job.

yeah but if you're a hot up and comer at ND, you'll have options. this is like one of the prettiest girls in school going to prom with an ugly meathead b/c he was the first to ask.
Was in the car business for 43 years. Found out first money, is generally the best money.....
But I see what you are saying....

Well if Pitt’s P5 scheduling history is any indicator that would bode well for them. From our standpoint I’m not sure what there is to gain from playing them though.
Might help recruiting to schedule an SEC schools, though Vanderbilt might not push the needle. Personally, I’d like it because it’d be a game I could travel to! :)

almost never happens. hold out for a job where you have a decent chance.

Tbh, I don't know that Clark Lea would ever be hot name that is going to get a lot of interest from big time programs. I'm not sure Vandy would have had much interest in Lea without the connections. I think Elko, the guy that Lea replaced at ND is at TAMU making close to $2 mil. This is a sure payday and he would have been foolish not to take it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT