ADVERTISEMENT

New and last Timberlake thread

Lol. There’s no one except Brown from that roster playing any minutes. The build is over. Freshmen/sophs and juniors win all the time in college basketball. XJ isn’t staying 4 years and he might not stay 3. When should be judge Capel? Year 12?
I would think four yrs would be a proper time frame . Pitt currently doesn’t get the kind of kids who turn your program around in a yr or two . Plus you need to replace these kids on a continuous basis . It all stats with getting the first one and adding him to an existing solid core of players . JC is building that base . Pitt isn’t Duke or Kentucky you know !
What solid core did JC add X and Trey too ?

Reactions: Drew1208
And when they tell them Kevin Stallings went 0-19 when they were sophomores in HS, they really dont care.
There will be a time when that record is irrelevant and that will be when Pitt makes the tourney .

You want to go to a school that hasn’t made a post season tourney in 5 yrs and who hasn’t won more than 5 conference games in yrs yeah that doesn’t matter .

Reactions: CapelsCranberryz
I would think four yrs would be a proper time frame . Pitt currently doesn’t get the kind of kids who turn your program around in a yr or two . Plus you need to replace these kids on a continuous basis . It all stats with getting the first one and adding him to an existing solid core of players . JC is building that base . Pitt isn’t Duke or Kentucky you know !
X is most likely gone after this season. Then what?

X is most likely gone after this season. Then what?
You recruit another pg that comes into a team with Trey and Toney as jrs and hopefully this yrs freshman all turn out to be players .

Your expectations are far to aggressive for a program like Pitt . FSU just fired their Fb coach after 11/2 season at a cost of over 20 million . Pitt would never pony up that kind of money to pay a coach to win Fb or BB games and I’d guarantee you if they ever did their not firing him after 11/2 yrs and eating 20
million . It amazed me that got rid of KS as soon as they did , but compared to 20 mil KS settlement was chump change .

Ben won 13 his first year
Lol. There’s no one except Brown from that roster playing any minutes. The build is over. Freshmen/sophs and juniors win all the time in college basketball. XJ isn’t staying 4 years and he might not stay 3. When should be judge Capel? Year 12?
Sloppy way of getting at your dislike for Capel in about every post you make. Just come out and say you hate Capel instead of the passive aggressive BS. Saint Ben won 13 his first year at Pitt and 19 his second. That sounds about right where Capel has the program headed this year to me.

You recruit another pg that comes into a team with Trey and Toney as jrs and hopefully this yrs freshman all turn out to be players .

Your expectations are far to aggressive for a program like Pitt . FSU just fired their Fb coach after 11/2 season at a cost of over 20 million . Pitt would never pony up that kind of money to pay a coach to win Fb or BB games and I’d guarantee you if they ever did their not firing him after 11/2 yrs and eating 20
million . It amazed me that got rid of KS as soon as they did , but compared to 20 mil KS settlement was chump change .
Again, this isn’t football. It doesn’t take til you’re a redshirt junior to get on the field.
We missed on RJ and didn’t recruit Morton.... sooooo

Reactions: Ski11585
Ben won 13 his first year

Sloppy way of getting at your dislike for Capel in about every post you make. Just come out and say you hate Capel instead of the passive aggressive BS. Saint Ben won 13 his first year at Pitt and 19 his second. That sounds about right where Capel has the program headed this year to me.
I like Capel a lot. I think his staff sucks. Seems recruiting rankings (compared to the ACC) agrees with me.

Again, this isn’t football. It doesn’t take til you’re a redshirt junior to get on the field.
Pitt didn’t need one guy to come in and play , they needed an entire team and once again they don’t get Duke or Kentucky type recruits . You need to learn patience .

JD’s success at Pitt revolved around the improvement of his players during their yrs at Pitt and until JC can get top 50 guys his success will come with his players development over their careers .

Pitt didn’t need one guy to come in and play , they needed an entire team and once again they don’t get Duke or Kentucky type recruits . You need to learn patience .

JD’s success at Pitt revolved around the improvement of his players during their yrs at Pitt and until JC can get top 50 guys his success will come with his players development over their careers .
He has the potential if he can convince x to give him one more year. If they’re empty at PG next year could be a major step back and he could be in an endless cycle of just trying to crack the top 10 of the league like Chambers who was also regarded as a great recruiter.

I’m fine with patience. The lack of getting a viable big will most likely cost us a tourney bid in year 2, which with 2 possible elite guards should’ve been done. You don’t need 5 years in basketball. Dixon took over a program that sucked and went to the tourney in year 2. It’s not an unreasonable request to want to be in the tournament in year 3 since he shit the bed on bigs for this year.

But as I said, if he can’t convince X to come back, we may be the exact opposite of what we are these 2 years. Bigs but no PG.

Reactions: Ski11585
He has the potential if he can convince x to give him one more year. If they’re empty at PG next year could be a major step back and he could be in an endless cycle of just trying to crack the top 10 of the league like Chambers who was also regarded as a great recruiter.

I’m fine with patience. The lack of getting a viable big will most likely cost us a tourney bid in year 2, which with 2 possible elite guards should’ve been done. You don’t need 5 years in basketball. Dixon took over a program that sucked and went to the tourney in year 2. It’s not an unreasonable request to want to be in the tournament in year 3 since he shit the bed on bigs for this year.

But as I said, if he can’t convince X to come back, we may be the exact opposite of what we are these 2 years. Bigs but no PG.
Capel has matched Dixon's success level after 3 years at TCU in just one year here. Both have ZERO NCAA Tournament wins at their new programs.

X can’t be wasted without a tourney appearance is basically what I’m saying. We could have the exact same year as PSU when they won NIT and X goes pro and while it looks good, we didn’t capitalize and get anyone early.

Those telling me to be patient, we haven’t even played a game yet and we’re all on edge waiting. These are all hypothetical scenarios that we have to wait to play out obviously. If I didn’t “like capel” or Pitt, I wouldn’t spend my time discussing it. Just because I am more critical or “negative” doesn’t make my opinion more wrong or right.

Dixon took over a program that sucked. Ha?? What are you taking about? We were coming off two Sweet 16’s.

Capel has matched Dixon's success level after 3 years at TCU in just one year here. Both have ZERO NCAA Tournament wins at their new programs.
Making the NCAA tournament is an accomplishment at TCU. They have been to 3 since 1988. It’s one of the worst jobs in the big 12.

I never mentioned we w/r/t Dixon. You made a reading error. I know you guys wanna kill me for being critical, but good god.
Stallings did not win 1 game in the conference his last year. The mess Capel was handed was far worse than TCU. Capel should make the NCAA Tournament by year 3 or 4 if he is the real deal.

Stallings did not win 1 game in the conference his last year. The mess Capel was handed was far worse than TCU. Capel should make the NCAA Tournament by year 3 or 4 if he is the real deal.
I said year 3 and I was torn apart... it’s the exact same situation the entire roster was turned over before his second season. What stallings did has literally zero impact on what capel will do this year bad moving forward. People should stop using him as an excuse.

Morton looks like an unsized SF at even an ACC program like Pitt. What's the obsession with him?

I don't see him starting over Drumgoole or even Trey anytime soon.

I said year 3 and I was torn apart... it’s the exact same situation the entire roster was turned over before his second season. What stallings did has literally zero impact on what capel will do this year bad moving forward. People should stop using him as an excuse.
I would use VT under Buzz as a good barometer. Buzz is a really good coach and made it in year 3.

Reactions: singregardless

Do you think the path to the NCAAs might be a smidge easier in the B12 than the ACC?

And by smidge, I mean a wide gaping difference in the path...

Do you think the path to the NCAAs might be a smidge easier in the B12 than the ACC?

And by smidge, I mean a wide gaping difference in the path...
I think making the NCAA tournament at Pitt and TCU are about the same regardless of the conference. It’s a job/program that has similar challenges to Pitt.

He’ll be playing Point Guard for a team that made the elite 8 last year.

That sounds like Purdue's problem. Off the ball passing from the wing is where he looks like he will belong with better athletes.

How much point did he run at USA basketball?

That sounds like Purdue's problem. Off the ball passing from the wing is where he looks like he will belong with better athletes.

How much point did he run at USA basketball?
I thought he played only on the 3 on 3 tourney. Haven’t seen him for a while. Last I saw I enjoyed watching him play.

anyways, let’s win 20 games and put some pressure on the selection committee huh? Can’t wait til these games start so people can stop jumping down my throat !!! ;)

I see that as unlikely. Because PG will be a more desirable position where Pitt will be than the reverse was trying to get any big.

But anyhow I've always said year 3 has always been where I'd begin to judge Capel. He's building a team to grow old.
We'll see if it works in due time.
And of course X staying or going is the biggest question mark that none of can answer yet, so let's enjoy this season & the insanity of this message board.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

I see that as unlikely. Because PG will be a more desirable position where Pitt will be than the reverse was trying to get any big.

Dixon took over a program that just won the Big East and reached the sweet 16 for the second year in a row and had just moved into the brand new Peterson Events Center. Hardly a program that sucked.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Dixon took over a program that just won the Big East and reached the sweet 16 for the second year in a row and had just moved into the brand new Peterson Events Center. Hardly a program that sucked.

Talking about TCU. Got them into the tourney in two years.

I think making the NCAA tournament at Pitt and TCU are about the same regardless of the conference. It’s a job/program that has similar challenges to Pitt.

Making the tournament in the Big 12 is much easier. You only have 2 games vs Blue Bloods and no bad teams. The entire league is in the Top 75 RPI so you have 18 chances at quality wins, 9 of them at home. So the whole league goes like 10-8 and they all make the NCAAT.

I would use VT under Buzz as a good barometer. Buzz is a really good coach and made it in year 3.

Buzz is the reason that no basketball program is a "massive rebuild." By year 3, if you aren't at least challenging for an NCAAT bid, that should be a concern for any AD. It takes selling a vision and getting a few key guys. This isnt football.

Making the tournament in the Big 12 is much easier. You only have 2 games vs Blue Bloods and no bad teams. The entire league is in the Top 75 RPI so you have 18 chances at quality wins, 9 of them at home. So the whole league goes like 10-8 and they all make the NCAAT.
Yes, making the tourney in the big 12 is easier if you’re WVU or Pitt when we were rolling. You’re not looking at this the same way I am.

TCU is probably the 5th most popular program in its state. It hadn’t been to the tournament in 20 years. While the big 12 is OBVIOUSLY not as good as the ACC, taking TCU to the tournament in 2 years gives me HOPE that Pitt can do it. It’s not that different. We have 2 better guards than they had at any position. So why not us? Why couldn’t the ball bounce our way in 10-12 ACC games and sneak us in?

Listen, I was trying to be positive. As I’ve tried to say, my no such thing as a massive rebuild thing was a GOOD thing. If X and Trey improved even a little bit, we should be a bubble team. So why not year 2? I was using TCU as an example of a team that was down FOREVER who instantly got turned around. It’s not like they won’t take 9 or 10 ACC teams. I’m not asking to win the ACC or expecting it. I’m HOPING we can compete to be the 9th or 10th best ACC team and try to crack a 68 team field. I hope that explains better than I have.

Yes, making the tourney in the big 12 is easier if you’re WVU or Pitt when we were rolling. You’re not looking at this the same way I am.

TCU is probably the 5th most popular program in its state. It hadn’t been to the tournament in 20 years. While the big 12 is OBVIOUSLY not as good as the ACC, taking TCU to the tournament in 2 years gives me HOPE that Pitt can do it. It’s not that different. We have 2 better guards than they had at any position. So why not us? Why couldn’t the ball bounce our way in 10-12 ACC games and sneak us in?

Listen, I was trying to be positive. As I’ve tried to say, my no such thing as a massive rebuild thing was a GOOD thing. If X and Trey improved even a little bit, we should be a bubble team. So why not year 2? I was using TCU as an example of a team that was down FOREVER who instantly got turned around. It’s not like they won’t take 9 or 10 ACC teams. I’m not asking to win the ACC or expecting it. I’m HOPING we can compete to be the 9th or 10th best ACC team and try to crack a 68 team field. I hope that explains better than I have.

Jamie inherited a very good college 5 in that European kid and got really lucky getting that FR undersized, under-recruited PF that turned out to be really good.

Jamie inherited a very good college 5 in that European kid and got really lucky getting that FR undersized, under-recruited PF that turned out to be really good.
And we have 2 returning sophomore guards better than any of those players. Stop making excuses. Those 2 can win a TON of games for us, if we let them. It’s a defeatist attitude to think we can’t win until they’re juniors because one of them ain’t ever gonna be a junior here.

And we have 2 returning sophomore guards better than any of those players. Stop making excuses. Those 2 can win a TON of games for us, if we let them. It’s a defeatist attitude to think we can’t win until they’re juniors because one of them ain’t ever gonna be a junior here.
You realize Pitt plays in the ACC and while X would have played a lot and maybe even started at every school except Duke , UNC and Virginia Trey would’ve been a promising bench player at most schools . No other current Panther would’ve seen any significant PT .
With all due respect to X it’s not like Pitt somehow landed Zion and had him for a yr and had to make the most out him because your never going to get a talent like him again . Pitt will survive after X whether it’s next yr or the yr after . X isn’t a once in a lifetime talent .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT