ADVERTISEMENT

New Duquesne logo

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-watch-logo-rebrand-pitt/stories/201905150091

OK, so Nike went 1-2 in Pittsburgh market logo designs. While Cathedral Panther was generally accepted, the new D logo was "inspired" by the Spiritan flame and doesn't even look like a D. They also have a new alternate uniform with brand new colors. It's amazing people get paid to come up with stuff like this. Honestly, they could have had an on-campus contest for the best logo design and done way better.

Our new cat isn't exactly turning the world on with its snarl either. Nothing wrong with it, nothing right either, it's generic. They should have just followed suit with the script, and gone with one of the retro cat designs from the 70s too.

I agree it's rather inexplicable that in nearly 2020s, schools usually havingt sophisticated graphic design depts, programs and willing talented profs and students (with real stake, not some flunky in Vietnam), why they wouldn't take their own shot at it.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Our new cat isn't exactly turning the world on with its snarl either. Nothing wrong with it, nothing right either, it's generic. They should have just followed suit with the script, and gone with one of the retro cat designs from the 70s too.

I agree it's rather inexplicable that in nearly 2020s, schools usually havingt sophisticated graphic design depts, programs and willing talented profs and students (with real stake, not some flunky in Vietnam), why they wouldn't take their own shot at it.

I think a Panther is too easy to get wrong as history as shown. The Cathedral Panther is about as good/safe as they could have done. It's not bad and it actually looks like the Cathedral Panther which has some meaning. I agree that right now it does look generic but that's because we aren't used to it.

So, after being wrong a month ago with the whole weird “Pitt rebrand was designed by some low-level Vietnamese worker” thing, you’re gonna try it again with Duquesne? Okay.

Anyway, I don’t really like the Duquesne rebrand; it looks like a strange combination of the Volcom logo and Dayton’s new logo. They did need a reboot, though, and I didn’t see the Old English “D” as being as iconic as it seems like a lot of Duquesne alums did. I think this particular rebrand overall kind of sucks, but given Duquesne’s small platform and low profile I don’t think it’s really going to move the needle very much, if at all.

I think a Panther is too easy to get wrong as history as shown. The Cathedral Panther is about as good/safe as they could have done. It's not bad and it actually looks like the Cathedral Panther which has some meaning. I agree that right now it does look generic but that's because we aren't used to it.
I know they conjured that COL point of reference, and were smart to do so.

But at the time, there were others that compared it to the Georgia State and FIU panther logos, even creating a side by side graphic (still easy to find by googling). And other than colors, they are nearly identical.

Which is ok, it didn't look bad, and it isn't the main logo, so who cares. But if "who cares" is all you're gonna elicit with an effort, why bother. Kind of like our teams really, though, so maybe apropos...

Just that there were other more effective, distinctive, cool, panther logos in our past logos, such as the "Pitt Perch" panther on the t-shirt from the 20% link that Chris posted earlier. And others. Would have saved time and money, and been more effective, just to have revived one of those, along with the retro script and colors.

But, whatever. Again, sort of the whole theme of our sports...

I know they conjured that COL point of reference, and were smart to do so.

But at the time, there were others that compared it to the Georgia State and FIU panther logos, even creating a side by side graphic (still easy to find by googling). And other than colors, they are nearly identical.

Which is ok, it didn't look bad, and it isn't the main logo, so who cares. But if "who cares" is all you're gonna elicit with an effort, why bother. Kind of like our teams really, though, so maybe apropos...

Just that there were other more effective, distinctive, cool, panther logos in our past logos, such as the "Pitt Perch" panther on the t-shirt from the 20% link that Chris posted earlier. And others. Would have saved time and money, and been more effective, just to have revived one of those, along with the retro script and colors.

But, whatever. Again, sort of the whole theme of our sports...

I heard the Georgia State argument. I looked at it, and yes, it does look very similar but who cares? Its Georgia State, nobody ever heard of them. I guarantee that 99% of admitted college football fans don't even know GSU had a team.

Our Panther looks a) like a Panther and b) like the Cathedral one so that's good enough.

And some of those retro Panthers, while I like them, and they make for great t-shirts are just too cartoonish. Cathedral Panther is a basic Panther head that looks like a Panther. Its fine

Reactions: Panther Holla
I heard the Georgia State argument. I looked at it, and yes, it does look very similar but who cares? Its Georgia State, nobody ever heard of them. I guarantee that 99% of admitted college football fans don't even know GSU had a team.

Our Panther looks a) like a Panther and b) like the Cathedral one so that's good enough.

And some of those retro Panthers, while I like them, and they make for great t-shirts are just too cartoonish. Cathedral Panther is a basic Panther head that looks like a Panther. Its fine
Like you, and I, said... it elicited the reaction of "who cares". And that's the point. Shouldn't a redesign make people care at least a little?

And shouldn't a trillion dollar sports gear corp like Nike come up with something at least a little different than Georgia State's identical logo? That's shameful, really.

Like you, and I, said... it elicited the reaction of "who cares". And that's the point. Shouldn't a redesign make people care at least a little?

And shouldn't a trillion dollar sports gear corp like Nike come up with something at least a little different than Georgia State's identical logo? That's shameful, really.

Considering that it is a secondary logo and all the backlash that DinoCat and Seal Panther received, a "who cares" or "good enough" reaction is a major win in my opinion.

Reactions: bwh05

A contrarian response to a contrarian thread from our on site professor of contrarianism. Impressive, even for you.

Last edited:

Given what Pitt has done in the past, I think "who cares" was the best that anyone should have realistically been expecting. And for once they met expectations.

I was hoping for something more like this.
1z1s5ug.jpg

Yep, "its ok" was a rousing success.

My thought was "well, it could have been worse" (because it has been worse) and I considered that a success.

After seeing the baseball team wear the new colors for the second game of the doubleheader last Saturday I still think the yellow is "way too yellow" and still wish they would have stuck with a more gold color rather than yellow, but the blue looks better in person than I feared it would. Not great, but it could have been a lot worse.

My thought was "well, it could have been worse" (because it has been worse) and I considered that a success.

After seeing the baseball team wear the new colors for the second game of the doubleheader last Saturday I still think the yellow is "way too yellow" and still wish they would have stuck with a more gold color rather than yellow, but the blue looks better in person than I feared it would. Not great, but it could have been a lot worse.
The uniforms that the baseball team has worn this season aren’t the new colors, they’re the same retro colors worn by the football team for the past few years. They’re similar, but you won’t see the new colors on any uniforms until the 2019-20 athletic year.

Reactions: paulbl99
The uniforms that the baseball team has worn this season aren’t the new colors, they’re the same retro colors worn by the football team for the past few years. They’re similar, but you won’t see the new colors on any uniforms until the 2019-20 athletic year.

They are actually wearing the "new" uniforms starting after that unveil date. Complete with the Cathedral font.

I think both the royal and the yellow were too bright but whatever. My thought on the new Panther was "it's not that bad," and yes I considered that a success.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-watch-logo-rebrand-pitt/stories/201905150091

OK, so Nike went 1-2 in Pittsburgh market logo designs. While Cathedral Panther was generally accepted, the new D logo was "inspired" by the Spiritan flame and doesn't even look like a D. They also have a new alternate uniform with brand new colors. It's amazing people get paid to come up with stuff like this. Honestly, they could have had an on-campus contest for the best logo design and done way better.
Doesn't look like a flame, either.

It looks like a "D" with broken ankles. Yikes!

At least I won't mistake anyone wearing it with a Detroit Tigers fan, like I some times did with the old D.

Actually, it was the other way around. I sometimes mistook Tigers fans for Duquesne fans.

Reactions: TreesHero

Been pretty disappointed with Nike uniforms lately. And the new color thing kinda reminds me of the euro 3rd kit stuff they do that are generally completely different colors than the team that wears them. I’m going to have a hard time seeing my favorite team in orange and black next season. But if Nike starts doing it here, I guess I can get used to it. What I have a harder time with is bad design. The new Duquesne D I don’t get. I’m shocked the school signed off on it. Is it strictly an athletics thing and Duquesne is keeping the old English style D for the university?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT