ADVERTISEMENT

New football subdivision planning for January 2025

College football just needs to bite the bullet and go to two divisions. A professional division with schools paying the players from the TV revenue as a single league with a single TV contract (the NFL model) and the B-league that is in the true spirit of NIL, though these players aren't going to get much because the marketing value just isn't there, IMO.

College football just needs to bite the bullet and go to two divisions. A professional division with schools paying the players from the TV revenue as a single league with a single TV contract (the NFL model) and the B-league that is in the true spirit of NIL, though these players aren't going to get much because the marketing value just isn't there, IMO.

They will eventually have to make the players employees, probability with unlimited eligibility. But that's probably 10 or so years and a few more lawsuits away.

Why don't they go with true college sports with no NIL whatsoever and true student-athletes playing, not professional players? If I wanted to watch professional football, I'd watch the NFL.

Reactions: clarks4life
It's only a matter of time until Northwestern, Indiana, Vanderbilt, etc are filtered out.
Someone has to lose. Every quality conference has to have fodder for the elites. The smart conferences placate them with Olympic or BB success. You can't have a sustainable conference of Texas, Bama, Mich, OSUx2 and USC. The egos of those fan bases wouldnt allow it

Why don't they go with true college sports with no NIL whatsoever and true student-athletes playing, not professional players? If I wanted to watch professional football, I'd watch the NFL.

Well, its against the law if they restrict NIL....true NIL. If Pepsi wants a QB to do a commercial, the NCAA cant say no or take their eligibility. If someone wants to sell autographs, the NCAA cant take their eligibility. That's what was intended. But it has absolutely become pay for play, which the NCAA can still enforce but chooses not to. Take Gavin Bartholomew for example. What is his marketing value to Pittsburgh businesses? $10,000? Maybe. But he is getting a big dollar NIL pay for play deal. Probably 200K-300K. The NCAA doesn't care to enforce this so they are essentially allowing pay for play as long as its the boosters paying. I think next you will see the NCAA allow universities to contribute to the booster collectives. That may be the final stop before they become employees

Well, its against the law if they restrict NIL....true NIL. If Pepsi wants a QB to do a commercial, the NCAA cant say no or take their eligibility. If someone wants to sell autographs, the NCAA cant take their eligibility. That's what was intended. But it has absolutely become pay for play, which the NCAA can still enforce but chooses not to. Take Gavin Bartholomew for example. What is his marketing value to Pittsburgh businesses? $10,000? Maybe. But he is getting a big dollar NIL pay for play deal. Probably 200K-300K. The NCAA doesn't care to enforce this so they are essentially allowing pay for play as long as its the boosters paying. I think next you will see the NCAA allow universities to contribute to the booster collectives. That may be the final stop before they become employees
Allow true NIL, like if a car dealership wants a player in their commercial, go for it, just don't have any organized NIL involving the school. It's better for the school to not pay anything, use that money instead to lower tuition to the regular schmuck students that aren't good at any sport.

It's called D3, but even at D3 players are allowed NIL if they can get it.

Allow true NIL, like if a car dealership wants a player in their commercial, go for it, just don't have any organized NIL involving the school. It's better for the school to not pay anything, use that money instead to lower tuition to the regular schmuck students that aren't good at any sport.

That's the rule now. You arent allowed pay for play. But the NCAA looks the other way on that. I've said they either need to enforce it or allow pay for play.

That's the rule now. You arent allowed pay for play. But the NCAA looks the other way on that. I've said they either need to enforce it or allow pay for play.
Start a division that enforces it harshly and destroys programs over it.

Someone has to lose. Every quality conference has to have fodder for the elites. The smart conferences placate them with Olympic or BB success. You can't have a sustainable conference of Texas, Bama, Mich, OSUx2 and USC. The egos of those fan bases wouldnt allow it

They will eliminate those bottom feeders first so fewer teams can share the revenue, and then create more parity once the league is established. The water polo teams all get gold plated pools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT