ADVERTISEMENT

Its Happening? Money Division

I have to believe the NFL will be less likely to respect Sat for CF, given the money grab. They will want to protect their market from NFL lite.

The NFL would get killed on Saturdays. You guys don't realize how popular college football is. Its the #2 sport in this country

• Haha
Reactions: mlvnsmly
The NFL would get killed on Saturdays. You guys don't realize how popular college football is. Its the #2 sport in this country
65% of households watch the NFL
30% watch college football
Its a very very distant 2 to the NFL

Reactions: Guyasuta Genac
Which is why I say we are better off in the non-"pay" division and should just focus on the Pitt collective. Theoretically, you can "pay" the players more that way because you don't have to split it with the women sports.

For those of you with big money that want to help the football and basketball program -- don't endow a scholarship. Endow something to the collective for NIL.
You will be a G5 team at best in that scenario with no major bowl game.

People cant stop watching college football. This will do nothing to decrease viewership.
I can and I will. I know Im not the only one too. Wont impact numbers too much overall, but they aint getting my f&$@+!@ money

It will be part of the schools. That's a big part of the proposal.

Half the schools are operating in the red now. So to opt in to this pay league, schools have to pay $30k minimum floor and equal amount to the same number of female scholarships they give males. Plus pay for NIL all on the crappy amount of tv money Disney give the ACC. Awesome

The NFL would get killed on Saturdays.

Federal law prohibits the NFL from playing on Saturdays during the college football season, and that law is decades old and was put in place because even 60 years ago when college football was much more popular and the NFL was much less popular people realized that if they competed directly it would, essentially, kill college football.

The ratings will be good for the short term yes. But in the long term with many kids not playing football now and a lot of the quality of play being awful to watch on TV in about 10 to 15 years if not sooner people will stop watching a lot of games.

Federal law prohibits the NFL from playing on Saturdays during the college football season, and that law is decades old and was put in place because even 60 years ago when college football was much more popular and the NFL was much less popular people realized that if they competed directly it would, essentially, kill college football.

It’s all but dead except for about 20 schools now Joe. Sadly after reading, trying to figure out what I read, doing the numbers. I’ve come to the conclusion that 90% of schools would benefit more from giving up FBS football and just putting more of that money into the basketball program and reducing tuition costs

It will be part of the schools. That's a big part of the proposal.
This raises other interesting questions. If the school itself if buying the NIL rights from a player then is the school allowed to re-market those rights? For instance if USC negotiated with Caleb Williams and they agreed to pay him $2M annually for his NIL could they then turn around and resell those rights to Nike (or whoever the highest bidder was) for $4M (or whatever) and turn a profit? Conversely, if the school pays player X $500K for "NIL" but in reality that players NIL rights are really only worth $50K on the open market, does the school book a loss?

I'm all for the players getting legitimate NIL money. The problem is that the collectives (and probably the school under this new proposal) is simply going to pay for play. It has little to do with actual NIL.

Cruzer

The ratings will be good for the short term yes. But in the long term with many kids not playing football now and a lot of the quality of play being awful to watch on TV in about 10 to 15 years if not sooner people will stop watching a lot of games.
I tend to agree with this.

The gap between haves and have nots will result in no one watching Rutgers-Indiana

As opposed to the NFL, where the Bears and Cardinals stink, but people are still tuning in.

To the TV networks, be careful what you wish for....

Its a distant 2nd but the NFL isnt stupid enough to lose a large part of their audience by going head to head with Alabama vs LSU and Ohio State vs Penn State and other games like that.

I can and I will. I know Im not the only one too. Wont impact numbers too much overall, but they aint getting my f&$@+!@ money

Just like the anti-kneelers, there will be 24 loudmouths who stop watching and post about it all over Twitter. College football is far too popular, just like the NFL.

You will be a G5 team at best in that scenario with no major bowl game.
Let's be honest, we don't play in major bowl games as-is. I'm 40 years old and I can only remember us playing in 2. Even Boise State has been to more major bowls than us in that span. Out of our 2, one of those we backed into and probably didn't deserve it. And the other our best player opted out of. Hard to get that excited about "major bowls" when it comes to Pitt.

We'd have a competitive advantage doing what I suggested, at least compared the schools at our tier.

Last edited:
Its a distant 2nd but the NFL isnt stupid enough to lose a large part of their audience by going head to head with Alabama vs LSU and Ohio State vs Penn State and other games like that.

It's actually a distant 4th. Unless you're talking about 2nd in American Football, in which case it's also last

They are not allowed to play on Saturdays during the college season .
Have you really never noticed it?
And no
The NFL would trounce college football

They are not allowed to play on Saturdays during the college season .
Have you really never noticed it?
And no
The NFL would trounce college football
It would be interesting to see the NFL challenge that in the future. That restriction is based on their anti-trust exemption. They were granted the exemption as they had no other player in the market. If the NCAA goes forward with the money division, or the B1g and SEC break off to play what is already professional football, then there is competition in the market of pro American football. The college football divisions are going to compete with themselves for television viewership between their pro and semi-pro divisions. The major networks are heavily involved with NFL, but ESPN holds much marketshare in CFB now. The major networks will 100% want to play NFL on Saturday, as currently there are a bunch of NFL games all on at the same time as other NFL games.
I think that CFB becoming established as a professional sport will end up with this change occurring.

It’s all but dead except for about 20 schools now Joe. Sadly after reading, trying to figure out what I read, doing the numbers. I’ve come to the conclusion that 90% of schools would benefit more from giving up FBS football and just putting more of that money into the basketball program and reducing tuition costs
🙂

Plus, if something happened and suddenly Pitt football wasn't on TV every week, my personal college football watching would go down to zero, I'd want there to be NFL on every Saturday, because I'll never watch any of the SEC or B1G GARBAGE, like I already don't now.

I'd watch any NFL game over those games, now if Pitt was playing Wofford or Duquesne, I'd watch that over any other college game or any NFL game that doesn't include the Steelers.

I'm the same. Since it became all about money, I have never watched a down of any other team but Pitt. I check the scores online, but I won't waste my time watching. The only team I've watched in the past 20 years, maybe even longer, has been Pitt. I wish it would go back to student-athlete days when the players are there four years. Let the Big10/SEC turn pro, everyone else go back to the way it was. Then when that happens, I'll just watch the NFL, those are the true professional football players anyway, why waste my time watching Alabama and Georgia?
Ok. I'm fine with that, I'm a Pitt football fan because of my attachment to Pitt, I don't care at all about watching the "best" teams with some other school's logo on their helmet, so otherwise I watch the Steelers and NFL way more. So, I'll watch only Pitt games every year, like I do now, as long as it lasts.

Reactions: Pitt79
I'll be honest, I don't see much incentive for a football factory school to do this. Why would they want to put anything on the books when they essentially have a pay for play system, now, that they don't have to deal with? Besides having issues like Title IX and spicy grad students to deal with, why create another pro football league when we know that hasn't really worked before? Just think there's a line out there that these schools aren't going to cross because it inevitably won't make sense when they already have their cake and can eat it, too.

Plus, if something happened and suddenly Pitt football wasn't on TV every week, my personal college football watching would go down to zero, I'd want there to be NFL on every Saturday, because I'll never watch any of the SEC or B1G GARBAGE, like I already don't now.
Same.

Let's be honest, we don't play in major bowl games as-is. I'm 40 years old and I can only remember us playing in 2. Even Boise State has been to more major bowls than us in that span. Out of our 2, one of those we backed into and probably didn't deserve it. And the other our best player opted out of. Hard to get that excited about "major bowls" when it comes to Pitt.

We'd have a competitive advantage doing what I suggested, at least compared the schools at our tier.
Why do you think that Pitt would have a competitive advantage? There most certainly would be other schools making the same choice and some them would likely be better funded.

I'll be honest, I don't see much incentive for a football factory school to do this. Why would they want to put anything on the books when they essentially have a pay for play system, now, that they don't have to deal with? Besides having issues like Title IX and spicy grad students to deal with, why create another pro football league when we know that hasn't really worked before? Just think there's a line out there that these schools aren't going to cross because it inevitably won't make sense when they already have their cake and can eat it, too.
For one thing, the proposal gives much more authority over other aspects like scholarship numbers, coach number, transfer rules, etc.

Why do you think that Pitt would have a competitive advantage? There most certainly would be other schools making the same choice and some them would likely be better funded.

I agree with you. I actually think this helps Pitt as it allows Pitt to pay the players directly. You could say "Pitt doesn't have the money to do that" but they will find a way. We didnt have money to build a basketball arena or a volleyball arena or give Dixon annual raises but we found a way.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I say because schools opting out the "pay" division presumably are choosing that because they have issues with the money being given to the kids. Well we would still be giving money to them, just through 412 Alliance instead of through the school. And we wouldn't be splitting our money with the women.

We absolutely deserved it, 100%, that was getting in exactly how it should happen in a real sport, not fake garbage like a committee conferring with optometrists about an eye test, it was win your conference ON THE FIELD and YOU ARE IN=100% DESERVING.
Miami and VT, both very good teams that year, left the Big East that season. We finished in 4 way tie for first place--in a 7 team league. We had a 4-2 conference record, so a .666 winning percentage was good enough for 1st. Boston College was higher ranked than us but luckily lost to Syracuse on the last day of the season to create that massive logjam for first place.

I agree with you. I actually think this helps Pitt as it allows Pitt to pay the players directly. You could say "Pitt doesn't have the money to do that" but they will find a way. We didnt have money to build a basketball arena or a volleyball arena or give Dixon annual raises but we found a way.

Doesn’t Pitt operate in the red now? This plan is only pushing that number further in. So the school can pay players, big deal the tv money coming in to pay for it isn’t changing.

I say because schools opting out the "pay" division presumably are choosing that because they have issues with the money being given to the kids. Well we would still be giving money to them, just through 412 Alliance instead of through the school. And we wouldn't be splitting our money with the women.
My point is that other schools will have their version of the 412 Alliance and some will be better funded.

But let's say you're right and Pitt has a competitive advantage. We get to win some version of the MAC and go to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Miami and VT, both very good teams that year, left the Big East that season. We finished in 4 way tie for first place--in a 7 team league. We had a 4-2 conference record, so a .666 winning percentage was good enough for 1st. Boston College was higher ranked than us but luckily lost to Syracuse on the last day of the season to create that massive logjam for first place.
Pitt won the conference by objective measures. There was no backing in required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt79
Miami and VT, both very good teams that year, left the Big East that season. We finished in 4 way tie for first place--in a 7 team league. Boston College was higher ranked than us but luckily lost to Syracuse on the last day of the season to create that massive logjam for first place.
Miami and VT leaving = IRRELEVANT, the champ is the champ of whoever was there in THAT YEAR, not previous years.

It was a 2 way tie that year, the 4-way tie was a different year, still = IRRELEVANT, based on the rules and tie breakers in place to determine who goes? WE WIN! DESERVING!

There was no EYE TEST requirement in place, so we went and DESERVED IT, based on the selection criteria in place.

And that was a selection based on REAL SPORTS, Pitt went based on predetermined tie breaker criteria and game results. FULLY DESERVING

A google search shows that Pitt has 575 student-athletes. A choice to opt-in will cost a minimum of $8.6 million based on 1/2 of those athletes getting only the minimum $30k trust fund. That assumes that Pitt would not add anything to the NIL available through the 412 Alliance and others. But we all know that just gets Pitt into the game with the big boys. It isn't even close to making Pitt competitive.

Some schools will outspend Pitt on NIL by multiple factors, e.g., ten times as much. Some schools will just raise the "base pay" - the education fund above the minimum $30k to try become dominant across other sports. Others will do both. Pitt will not be able to compete due to the lack of institutional support, TV money compared to the B1G and SEC, and lack of donor support.

Reactions: ThePanthers
It was a 2 way tie that year, the 4-way tie was a different year, still = IRRELEVANT, based on the rules and tie breakers in place to determine who goes? WE WIN! DESERVING!
It was a 4 way tie for 1st place. Boston College entered the final game at 9-2. Syracuse was 5-6. Syracuse pulled off the upset, at Boston College (where BC was undefeated up until that point), which allowed Pitt to be conference co-champs, and get the Fiesta Bowl bid by virtue of tiebreakers given that 4 teams were tied. We beat BC at home in OT, BC's only conference loss until the last game. BC choked and we benefitted from it.

Reactions: NKSplitter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT