ADVERTISEMENT

New RJ Davis thread

Pitt is relevant in the ACc in football. They have the 3rd best record in the league since narduzzi has been there. Coastal title last year and a possible coastal title this year. Unless your argument is that only Clemson is relevant in which case why watch college sports?

to be clear, Providence was an ASBOLUTE disaster when Cooley came in. Not as bad as Pitt, but a disaster nonetheless. So if Capel goes to 5 straight ncaa’s and an NIT starting next year, you’ll consider that mediocre? Sheesh. I would step aside from the convo at this point if that’s the hill you’re gonna die on
In the grand scheme of things - ACC Basketball and SEC Football are far superior to the other conferences. The Power 5 in football and basketball are far superior to the other leagues. Cooley is a good coach compared to other BE coaches, but mediocre in the grand scheme of things. Big fish in a small pond. Ed Cooley is smart. He knows to stay in his lane.

In the grand scheme of things - ACC Basketball and SEC Football are far superior to the other conferences. The Power 5 in football and basketball are far superior to the other leagues. Cooley is a good coach compared to other BE coaches, but mediocre in the grand scheme of things. Big fish in a small pond. Ed Cooley is smart. He knows to stay in his lane.
Ed Cooley is a fantastic coach. You’re VERY wrong on him. There’s a reason Michigan came after him. It’s fine that you’re wrong on that part. To the other part, UConn will be in the big east again next year so there’s another program that is superior to Pitt in the big east that’s won a national title in the last 7 years.

being adjacent to greatness doesn’t make you great. Being able to get waxed by duke and UNC and suffocated by UVA isn’t a great selling point over going to marquette and playing in NBA cities and arenas. conference means literally nothing for us in basketball. If it did, we would’ve landed one of the 18 big men we whiffed on last year and not had the 51st best class with one of the best recruiters in the country as head coach. It is what it is.

u can argue til your blue in the face, but you’ll just be proving yourself more wrong

Reactions: jctrack
The ACC has the most NBA players on active rosters, by a margin of nearly 15 over any other. And that is despite 30 Kentucky Wildcats in the NBA (nearly half of all SEC pro players.)

The interesting question is how much of that is about conference, that can benefit any team, and how much is the incredible recruiting machines at Duke and UNC? I think mostly the later, with hopefully for Pitt a sprinkling of the former. It at least can't hurt to play in an elite conference! Like Boston College's recruiting struggles, but it'd probably be even a little worse if they were stuck in the AAC.

Ed Cooley is a fantastic coach. You’re VERY wrong on him. There’s a reason Michigan came after him. It’s fine that you’re wrong on that part. To the other part, UConn will be in the big east again next year so there’s another program that is superior to Pitt in the big east that’s won a national title in the last 7 years.

being adjacent to greatness doesn’t make you great. Being able to get waxed by duke and UNC and suffocated by UVA isn’t a great selling point over going to marquette and playing in NBA cities and arenas. conference means literally nothing for us in basketball. If it did, we would’ve landed one of the 18 big men we whiffed on last year and not had the 51st best class with one of the best recruiters in the country as head coach. It is what it is.

u can argue til your blue in the face, but you’ll just be proving yourself more wrong
Michigan also hired Brady Hoke and Rich Rod for football. How did those hires turn out? They settled for Howard, so the job wasn’t all that coveted. Cooley was smart for staying in the BE where he belongs.

I have not stated anywhere in this thread that he should attend Pitt. What I have done is clearly stated my point and provided facts related to the draft and conference affiliation.

I am not arguing. I will say it would be nice if you would use capital letters. o_O

Michigan also hired Brady Hoke and Rich Rod for football. How did those hires turn out? They settled for Howard, so the job wasn’t all that coveted. Cooley was smart for staying in the BE where he belongs.

I have not stated anywhere in this thread that he should attend Pitt. What I have done is clearly stated my point and provided facts related to the draft and conference affiliation.

I am not arguing. I will say it would be nice if you would use capital letters. o_O
MICHIGAN IS PRETTY DAMN GOOD AT IDENTIFYING BASKETBALL COACHES. HOWARD WAS A HOMERUN

Good grief! Can't we all just agree that the ACC and BE are both very good basketball conferences and get back to the question at hand. What the heck is Pitt going to do if RJ picks Marquette and X leaves for the NBA? I'm just not a believer in Trey or Horton playing at starting PG role next year.
Edit: Per PSN, Capel is visiting RJ Davis today!

John Beilein and Steve Fischer. And Howard has a top 60 kid committed and is in the top 2 for Isaiah Todd and Top 3 for Jaden Springer. An absolute HOMERUN hire
They are 2 for 4, so that would not equate to them being damn good at hiring guys. Time will tell whether Howard can lead a program as the head coach. Amaker was a very good recruiter as well, and made 0 NCAA tournaments at UM.

Reactions: singregardless
Good grief! Can't we all just agree that the ACC and BE are both very good basketball conferences and get back to the question at hand. What the heck is Pitt going to do if RJ picks Marquette and X leaves for the NBA? I'm just not a believer in Trey or Horton playing at starting PG role next year.

Our other PG options are either committed (Morton, Tate), we didn't make their top 5 (Curbelo) or we're completely in the dark about their recruitment status (Farrakhan).

So unless RJ commits, my guess for a PG in this class is either a transfer or we don't take one.

PSN is reporting to their "diehards" (I imagine they have 2 or 3 of them) that Capel is going to see a "top target [who] is very much still in play" today. My assumption is that's Davis.

Reactions: CapelsCranberryz
I think they'll still really go hard for a Pg, either GT or spring signing.
The only name we offered is Noah Farrakhan.
I believe its the position JC covets the most.

Reactions: Tonyt66
The ACC is a very good basketball conference. The Big East is overrated. That is what we can agree upon.

I would assume a Grad Transfer down the line would be the plan if we don’t land our guy.

I think they'll still really go hard for a Pg, either GT or spring signing.
The only name we offered is Noah Farrakhan.
I believe its the position JC covets the most.
Maybe I’m getting too old but I absolutely hate Noah’s game. Twitter superstar, would rather gain clout on social media than get better he’s regressed every single year. So hopefully that’s not where we end up

Maybe I’m getting too old but I absolutely hate Noah’s game. Twitter superstar, would rather gain clout on social media than get better he’s regressed every single year. So hopefully that’s not where we end up
I don't know his game only saw how high he jumps.
I don't know if we'd even follow through with him if we lose RJ.

John Beilein and Steve Fischer. And Howard has a top 60 kid committed and is in the top 2 for Isaiah Todd and Top 3 for Jaden Springer. An absolute HOMERUN hire

Steve Fisher? Thank Bill Frieder for that, not "Michigan". He's he one who hired Fisher as an assistant coach. When Frieder accepted the ASU job, Schembechler wouldn't let Frieder coach in the NCAA tourney. Fisher was the interim and wasn't going to be kept except he won the NC.

Reactions: singregardless
Steve Fisher? Thank Bill Frieder for that, not "Michigan". He's he one who hired Fisher as an assistant coach. When Frieder accepted the ASU job, Schembechler wouldn't let Frieder coach in the NCAA tourney. Fisher was the interim and wasn't going to be kept except he won the NC.
So thank Skip Prosser for Jamie Dixon? Doesn’t matter how they get there

So thank Skip Prosser for Jamie Dixon? Doesn’t matter how they get there

It does when you say they have a great track record of hiring coaches and use that as an example. Pitt lucked out with Jamie. Michigan didn’t really choose Fisher. He was given the job the night before the tourney started. There was no consideration.

It seems funny arguing which school or conference is better . The top of the ACC is far and away the best , but unfortunately Pitt is closer to the bottom . The only thing that matters is what the kid thinks is best for
him .
The real problem is that Pitt and Marquette don’t beat out UNC for recruits . ( let’s hope it’s a first )

Reactions: Tonyt66
Wait, so it is your contention that, for instance, the Conference of Chumpions is a far superior basketball league to the Big East?

Maybe you ought to step away before people realize how clueless you are.
The Pac-12 had 6 draft picks last year and 69 guys on an NBA roster at the start of last season. The Big East had one guy get drafted last year, and 31 players in the NBA. Villanova is the only team that has done anything of substance since the old BE broke up.

The Pac-12 had 6 draft picks last year and 69 guys on an NBA roster at the start of last season. The Big East had one guy get drafted last year, and 31 players in the NBA. Villanova is the only team that has done anything of substance since the old BE broke up.

If that's how you judge which is the better league, once again, step away before people realize how clueless you are.

If that's how you judge which is the better league, once again, step away before people realize how clueless you are.
The PAC 12 has better players and coaches. Other than Jay Wright, which coaches in the Big East have made it to the Sweet 16 or beyond?

Here’s the list for the PAC 12.
Altman
Miller
Krystkowiak
Cronin
Enfield

Last edited:
The PAC 12 has better players and coaches. Other than Jay Wright, which coaches in the Big East have made it to the Sweet 16 or beyond?

Altman
Miller
Krystkowiak
Cronin
Enfield

I've got to hand it to you. Most people try to follow the philosophy, when you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is to stop digging. Not you though. You've gone with the let's dig twice as fast and see where it takes us gambit.

I've got to hand it to you. Most people try to follow the philosophy, when you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is to stop digging. Not you though. You've gone with the let's dig twice as fast and see where it takes us gambit.
You’ve provided no evidence or intelligent rationale as to why the Big East is better than the PAC 12. Instead.... you act like a child and resort to name calling.

That's a silly way to look at it. Guys at Duke aren't getting drafted into the NBA because they play in the ACC. Guys at North Carolina aren't getting drafted into the NBA because they play in the ACC. As has been repeated demonstrated over a period of decades, if you are a good enough player the NBA will find you no matter what college you go to or what league you play in. Or even if you don't go to college or play in any college league.

Do you think Duke and UNC would be the Duke and UNC that we know if they weren't in the ACC?

An East Carolina isn't drawing NBA players.

Altman
Miller
Krystkowiak
Cronin
Enfield

I'll give you Altman and Miller, but Ed Cooley is a better coach than the rest of those guys, especially Enfield and Krystkowiak. It's honestly mental that you think two guys who made the Sweet 16 once are so much better than a guy who gets his teams into the tournament more consistently and "only" made it to the round of 32. I have a feeling that you'd be singing Cooley's praises if the resumes remained the same and the conferences were swapped.

I agree.

Cooley is fantastic. He’s not elite ... among the best dozen or so. But he’s in the group right below that.

I'll give you Altman and Miller, but Ed Cooley is a better coach than the rest of those guys, especially Enfield and Krystkowiak. It's honestly mental that you think two guys who made the Sweet 16 once are so much better than a guy who gets his teams into the tournament more consistently and "only" made it to the round of 32. I have a feeling that you'd be singing Cooley's praises if the resumes remained the same and the conferences were swapped.
Ed Cooley has a .587 winning % in 14 years as a HC. Someone has to win games in the watered down BE. Cronin has accomplished far more than Cooley. It isn’t even close. Enfield has accomplished more in the Big Dance, and knocked Cooley out of the tourney one year. Krystkowiak has drawn interest from the professional ranks, and is a better coach. Bobby Hurley is just as good or better, and Hopkins is a very well thought of up and coming coach. Slobbering over Ed Cooley just shows how far the BE has fallen. The PAC 12 has better players and coaches, and is clear to any unbiased source. The Big East went 1-4 in the NCAA Tournament, and had 1 guy drafted last year.

Last edited:
Ed Cooley has a .587 winning % in 14 years as a HC. Someone has to win games in the watered down BE. Cronin has accomplished far more than Cooley. It isn’t even close. Enfield has accomplished more in the Big Dance, and knocked Cooley out of the tourney one year. Krystkowiak has drawn interest from the professional ranks, and is a better coach. Bobby Hurley is just as good or better, and Hopkins is a very well thought of up and coming coach. Slobbering over Ed Cooley just shows how far the BE has fallen. The PAC 12 has better players and coaches, and is clear to any unbiased source. The Big East went 1-4 in the NCAA Tournament, and had 1 guy drafted last year.

Krystkowiak was a miserable failure in the NBA with a crisp .310 winning percentage. Enfield had one fluke run out of the Atlantic Sun Conference and has sputtered in a major conference with an objectively worse resume than Cooley. Cronin was Ed Cooley, except he took over a once proud program in disarray whilst Cooley took over a moribund program. Hurley is an incredible recruiter, but leaves much to be desired in terms of his in game coaching. Hopkins is arguably the best coach on the list and it's absolutely hilarious that you're only mentioning him now. The fact that you think anybody is slobbering over Cooley is telling. You're simply not giving him his due out of ignorance, bias or all of the above.

Do you think Duke and UNC would be the Duke and UNC that we know if they weren't in the ACC?

An East Carolina isn't drawing NBA players.
You have it backwards Duke and UNC make the ACC what it is in bb . Virginia is a come lately story .

Reactions: jctrack
You’ve provided no evidence or intelligent rationale as to why the Big East is better than the PAC 12. Instead.... you act like a child and resort to name calling.

Well first of all, you could actually just watch the games if you know what you are seeing. But if that's not good enough for you:

Pomeroy Conference Rankings:
Big East - 5 (in what I agree was a down year for the conference)
PAC12 - 7

Big East - 3
PAC12 - 6 (you may remember this as the season that the PAC12 didn't win even one NCAA tournament game, seeing as to how it was only 18 month ago)

Big East - 3
PAC12 - 6

Big East - 3
PAC12 - 4

Big East - 2
PAC12 - 6

That's five in a row. I don't know how far back you want to go with all the conference changes, but let's continue.

PAC12 - 4
Big East - 5 (LOOK!!!! WE FOUND ONE!!!!)

Big East - 2
PAC12 - 5

Big East - 3
PAC12 - 5

Big East - 2
PAC10 - 5

Big East - 3
PAC10 - 6

That's 10 years. And the score is 9-1. Did we go back far enough for you? I mean I simply cannot believe that there is someone who isn't a fan of a PAC12 school that could even think to argue that it's a better league than the Big East. And I would imagine that most non-delusional PAC12 fans know how disappointing that their conference has been lately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT