ADVERTISEMENT

News on recruits?

Surprised to not hear a peep about how the visits went on Thursday. Hopefully, seeing the big win and great crowd helped!!

I will be surprised if we don't get Ty-laur Johnson. We have been the slight leader for some time. And he would be, as I have said before, a massive get.

Ladji Dembele would also be a pretty good get, better than I had anticipated. I pulled his full stats yesterday for the NY Jayhawks and the NY Rens. His summer was actually pretty decent and he shot the 3 ball around 34% all spring and summer. Dembele has played with Ty-laur at a number of different stops now, from the NY Rens to St. Benedicts to other events where they teamed up. It will be worth monitoring if Dembele transfers to Our Savior Lutheran in the Bronx NY to play with him again. He likes Xavier and they have offered and Wake Forest is also in there. On3 now has him as a Top 100 player 4 star player. Ty-laur helps with him. He is a PF / C combo, slightly small for a center, but he can rebound at a decent level.

Papa Kante is still a 3 team race of Pitt, Michigan, and Rutgers with Maryland as the 4th option. Kante has also played with Ty-laur at different stops, including the NY Rens. Personally, I think the more Kante waits, the better it is for Pitt and Rutgers. Again, Ty-laur coming to Pitt could sway sway him a little more.

I still expect Jaland Lowe to visit regardless what Ty-laur Johnson does. We are also in real good shape with Lowe, top 2 or top 3 at worst, with a decision coming in October.

I will be surprised if we don't get Ty-laur Johnson. We have been the slight leader for some time. And he would be, as I have said before, a massive get.

Ladji Dembele would also be a pretty good get, better than I had anticipated. I pulled his full stats yesterday for the NY Jayhawks and the NY Rens. His summer was actually pretty decent and he shot the 3 ball around 34% all spring and summer. Dembele has played with Ty-laur at a number of different stops now, from the NY Rens to St. Benedicts to other events where they teamed up. It will be worth monitoring if Dembele transfers to Our Savior Lutheran in the Bronx NY to play with him again. He likes Xavier and they have offered and Wake Forest is also in there. On3 now has him as a Top 100 player 4 star player. Ty-laur helps with him. He is a PF / C combo, slightly small for a center, but he can rebound at a decent level.

Papa Kante is still a 3 team race of Pitt, Michigan, and Rutgers with Maryland as the 4th option. Kante has also played with Ty-laur at different stops, including the NY Rens. Personally, I think the more Kante waits, the better it is for Pitt and Rutgers. Again, Ty-laur coming to Pitt could sway sway him a little more.

I still expect Jaland Lowe to visit regardless what Ty-laur Johnson does. We are also in real good shape with Lowe, top 2 or top 3 at worst, with a decision coming in October.
Hope to get both. We will be losing plenty of guards this year. You can never have too many guards.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Hope to get both. We will be losing plenty of guards this year. You can never have too many guards.

Agree.

I should also add...

The kid coming in this weekend for the football game, Thomas Sorber, should be one of the top targets overall in 2024. It is also massive to get this kid into Pitt early for a visit as he is starting to rake in the offers and already moved into the Top 50 on a few recruiting sites. 6'9 center, currently overweight like Big John in the past, physical in the low block on offense and defense, has a midrange game with 3 point touch, can rebound, and can pass. Dominant at the peach jam, led his team to the final 4 with excellent stats with scoring, passing, and rebounds to back it up.

Doesn't have a lot of athletic ability but uses old school force to control the game with quality footwork. The major players probably back off because of the lack of jumping ability, which should put him in our wheelhouse to potentially get him. Capel will show him the growth of Hugley with skill and how a strength and conditioning program will help him grow. Im not sure if he is reclass eligible but it would make things real interesting if he was.

Top 50ish Nationally rated 4 star "Power" Guard / Wing Jaeden Mustaf

3ssb Tournament MVP and 3ssb Tournament Champion, playing 17U

17 years old now, likely 2023 reclass eligible

From Hyattsville, MD

Picture from George Michalowski

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb5Wh2tWQAA0zBp?format=jpg&name=large

As I had reported after watching all his games at the peach jam and EYBL Kansas City session, Carlton Carrington has been consistently doing this all summer long at major event after event averaging over 15ppg.... Nasty pull up game from the midrange and from 3 and able to create his own offense without help.

If the kids special you wait on him , but otherwise if you can get a player you really want then it’s first come first served .

It appears JC has found his footings in recruiting and unless this season is a total disaster he’s going nowhere , but I could see a recruit waiting to see how this season goes before committing.

On the myriad schools recruiting him right now (and this after the visit, mind you):

“It’s all pretty even right now,” [Johnson] said.

On the myriad schools recruiting him right now (and this after the visit, mind you):

“It’s all pretty even right now,” [Johnson] said.

Seems more like a case of a kid knowing which answers to keep close to the vest, especially knowing that he’s being interviewed by a Pitt reporter.

Viewed through the “what a recruit does/what a recruit says” lens, he’s ultimately got only one other visit set up, he scheduled Pitt for his first visit, he’s starting to think about a commitment date, and he had a great time on his visit, it exceeded his expectations, and it “felt like home.”

Jaland Lowe

2 more visits currently to go with Pitt and Memphis. Jaylen Curry also visiting Memphis and a real decent chance Curry goes to Memphis.

Lowe:

-Wants to go to a school that takes basketball serious and is "a basketball school"
-Wants a quality home gym to play in with a a good student section that gets into it like the Zoo used to do
-Wants a friendly "vibe" on campus and with his teammates
-Go to eating spots are Chick Fila and Cane's which is coming to Pittsburgh in 2023
-Wants a comfort level with the head coach and the players on the visit
-Wants early playing time
-2 schools recruiting him hardest per Lowe- Pitt and SMU
-Lowe is keeping his eyes on George Washington III who he is now following on twitter since Washington's
de-commitment from Ohio State. Lowe knows we are going after Ty-laur Johnson hard.
-Turned 18 years old, yesterday

Decision- October

Vader's Player comparison- John Lucas III- Oklahoma State

Pitt wish list: Very High

Pitt's chances: Good, with a chance to pull into the lead after this weekend

Last edited:
2 Pitt Commits with a Priority 4 star guard

FcaeP6xX0AcoCzb

FcZZyIdWQAIB5u8

Is it weird that every time I see this thread I think it’s about Owt?

Jaland Lowe

2 more visits currently to go with Pitt and Memphis. Jaylen Curry also visiting Memphis and a real decent chance Curry goes to Memphis.

Lowe:

-Wants to go to a school that takes basketball serious and is "a basketball school"
-Wants a quality home gym to play in with a a good student section that gets into it like the Zoo used to do
-Wants a friendly "vibe" on campus and with his teammates
-Go to eating spots are Chick Fila and Cane's which is coming to Pittsburgh in 2023
-Wants a comfort level with the head coach and the players on the visit
-Wants early playing time
-2 schools recruiting him hardest per Lowe- Pitt and SMU
-Lowe is keeping his eyes on George Washington III who he is now following on twitter since Washington's
de-commitment from Ohio State. Lowe knows we are going after Ty-laur Johnson hard.
-Turned 18 years old, yesterday

Decision- October

Vader's Player comparison- John Lucas III- Oklahoma State

Pitt wish list: Very High

Pitt's chances: Good, with a chance to pull into the lead after this weekend
ORTG?

We are in really good position with Jaland Lowe right now. All boxes were checked from what I mentioned above on his visit and his family really liked it here. Above all else, Lowe bonded well with the coaches and the players at Pitt.

Kante is a lot more cloudy with big pushes coming from Maryland and Memphis. Memphis is making a big push for guards Dra Gibbs-Lawthorn, Jaylen Curry, Jaland Lowe, and Ty-laur Johnson and they also hired Kante's and Ty-laur Johnson's aau coach.. The former 3 have visits locked in with Memphis and are on the very short list for all 3. The former 3 should be making decisions in the early signing period.

HS recruiting is pretty irrelevant now. Probably 25% will transfer after their freshman year. 50% by the end of their sophomore year and 75% by the end of their 3rd season.

HS recruiting is pretty irrelevant now. Probably 25% will transfer after their freshman year. 50% by the end of their sophomore year and 75% by the end of their 3rd season.

I disagree, because I think it's the only way we're going to land premier talent. Not saying 5-stars, per se, but even a guy like Champagnie who plays way above his ranking. Or... Dior Johnson.

The better talent in the portal isn't coming to Pitt. We can land guys who are ACC caliber that way. But stars? Not that I've seen.

I disagree, because I think it's the only way we're going to land premier talent. Not saying 5-stars, per se, but even a guy like Champagnie who plays way above his ranking. Or... Dior Johnson.

The better talent in the portal isn't coming to Pitt. We can land guys who are ACC caliber that way. But stars? Not that I've seen.
Champagnie now would transfer after 1 or 2 years. And Dior Johnson certainly wont be at Pitt next year.

I think this is pretty close to nonsense. Also, transfers have to be considered in context of a P5 program. Last year, there were over 1,700 players in the portal. Over 20% of them never found new homes. I believe the overwhelming majority of those in the portal, and especially those from P5 programs, were there looking for playing time. They were stuck on the bench with little or no prospect of future playing time. I believe those in the portal, who were starters at their original school, were from mid major or lower programs looking to increase their level of competition and/or exposure. There are/were exceptional circumstances. Coaching changes or NCAA sanctions can also initiate a mass exodus to the transfer portal. Regardless, most P5 programs only need to worry about losing bench depth, and much of that isn't playable depth. If you have to worry about starters leaving for other programs, then there is something else very dysfunctional taking place within the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Z
I think this is pretty close to nonsense. Also, transfers have to be considered in context of a P5 program. Last year, there were over 1,700 players in the portal. Over 20% of them never found new homes. I believe the overwhelming majority of those in the portal, and especially those from P5 programs, were there looking for playing time. They were stuck on the bench with little or no prospect of future playing time. I believe those in the portal, who were starters at their original school, were from mid major or lower programs looking to increase their level of competition and/or exposure. There are/were exceptional circumstances. Coaching changes or NCAA sanctions can also initiate a mass exodus to the transfer portal. Regardless, most P5 programs only need to worry about losing bench depth, and much of that isn't playable depth. If you have to worry about starters leaving for other programs, then there is something else very dysfunctional taking place within the program.
I pretty much agree with you here.

But your last sentence about programs that have to worry about starters leaving…….we all know what Pitt has been through. Let’s hope we’re past that dysfunctional phase.

Reactions: 73CAV
The last few years, there have been around 35% of ALL players who have entered the portal. If that continues, my numbers aren't that far off.

Let’s see what happens when there aren’t any more sixth year covid seniors floating around. Guys from the last 1-2 classes have entered their school with the knowledge that they have the one-time waiver. That will change the way they’re coached and managed. Like anything, the coaches that are good at managing people will generally do well.

Reactions: Drew1208
Those players who are either under or over recruited will move on as well as kids who just aren’t happy for whatever reason at the school they’re currently at . Add in coaching changes , personal issues and NIL money and my bet is that 50% of the players will not finish their college careers at the school they initially committed to .

The last few years, there have been around 35% of ALL players who have entered the portal. If that continues, my numbers aren't that far off.
It's only 2021 and 2022 that have produced that many transfers. Prior to 2020, the number was between 800 to 1,000 each year. There are two new aspects to consider with those classes: covid and the new transfer regs. The long term effects of covid are speculative, at best. There are three main groups within the transfer population in the past two years. Freshman and sophomores make up the overwhelming largest segment (True frosh accounted for nearly 40% of all transfers). Most of them determined that the playing time they anticipated wasn't a realistic expectation, and they are moving down a level, or two, in competition. The fact that over 20% of all transfers last year didn't find a new school is indicative of this. The other large segment seniors taking advantage of the grad transfer rule and the covid year of additional eligibility. While a significant number of players may transfer by the end of their second year, the number third and fourth year transfers drop off precipitously. Once the additional covid year expires, I imagine that there will be a further reduction.

Between 85% and 90% of last year's transfers were rated three stars or lower coming out of high school, and around 75% of all transfers were rated two stars. Transfers do not represent that fertile a recruiting source for P6 programs. There are a few isolated examples that recycled players can be used to assemble a competitive team (see Coach Beard and Coach Musselman), but for the typical ACC team, incoming transfers only serve to plug holes in the roster, and players leaving ACC teams were rarely in the playing rotation.

So, high school recruitment is unlikely to become less relevant. It will continue to be the primary source for talent for P6 schools. P6 programs are much more likely to have players leave than they are to add transfers to the roster (and the overwhelming majority leaving will do so before their junior year). Furthermore, most of the players leaving P6 programs are transferring to mid-major, or lower, schools. Lateral transfers are not that common. They happen, but not as frequently as some think, and when they do happen, there are often more reasons at hand than the issue of playing time. Transfers from mid-majors to P6 schools also happen, but they are far more rare, and not in such numbers to diminish the importance of high school recruitments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT