ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Will Be Even Worse.

This is called Subtraction by Addition a PITT athletics invention!
The more recruits PITT adds the worse we get!

If we keep adding recruits at the present level we'll be asking Stalling if he ever coached football.
Oh by the way I think he'll say yes!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Something to consider is the 2019 schedule as a whole is more accommodating. Pitt will have more wins in ‘19 than this year regardless of who HC may be.

Reactions: freddietee511
Imagine this team, but losing 4 O line starters, top two RBs, and 6 defensive starters. We will be awful next season
Why will things be worse. Since the guys on this team are not good, wouldn't loosing th be addition by subtraction. I'm not saying the guys behind them are any better. Maybe getting rid of the coaches wound be addition by subtraction but this is Pitt. The next batch on the conveyor belt of failed coaches probably will be worse as Pitt will go out and hire the next defensive coordinator guru. I used to say "Hail to Pitt".

Reactions: odshowtime
Besides Bookser, which SR are you worried about losing?

The problem with this year is not playing younger OL more. Houy should be starting and Bookser to Guard. Hargrove, Drake, Ford and Brown should be playing. Herndon and Dintino have no NFL or Pitt future. Thank them and put them on the bench.

Pickett needs more work as a passer. Don’t let him run as much and force him to read, process the play and make passes from the pocket.

Play Campbell and Ford at Safety.

Who cares if Pitt wins another game this year. Play the young guys for next year.

It’s almost an even split.... about 1/3 of the seniors are good players that were solid contributors throughout their careers, about 1/3 are backups or starters that just don’t make much noise, and about 1/3 are guys most don’t even want in the lineup right now.

Most positions we lose their backups should be an upgrade if they play to potential. The o-line has massively underachieved so who knows that could be much better or much worse next year.

Pickett should be much better next year, if not I’d have to think someone else will get a shot. A lot is gonna depend on the young receivers and what they do the rest of this season and then through camp into next season.

Idk how this shapes out cause I really don’t see this team winning another game. Hard to be any worse than 2-10. I have no faith in narduzzi’s defenses anymore but a new o-coordinator next year should be able to manage 6 wins. Not good for year 5 of narduzzi, but certainly not worse if we really do the unthinkable and go 2-10 this season.

Reactions: PhPanther2
Why will things be worse. Since the guys on this team are not good, wouldn't loosing th be addition by subtraction. I'm not saying the guys behind them are any better. Maybe getting rid of the coaches wound be addition by subtraction but this is Pitt. The next batch on the conveyor belt of failed coaches probably will be worse as Pitt will go out and hire the next defensive coordinator guru. I used to say "Hail to Pitt".
At least the RS seniors this year got one season of coaching from Paul Chryst. Going forward, except for transfers, these players will be fully developed by Narduzzi. And that is a scary thing

Next year will be better. Why because it will actually hurt Pitt. Let me explain. If they go 4-8 this year, PN will be on the hot seat. If he went 5-7 or worse in 2019 he will be fired. But 6-6 or 7-5 probably brings him back for year 6. But that one year of 6 or 7 wins won't help them recruit. Then add the lost class to the coaching change after year 6 and you have a JM2 level of disaster. the next coach is going to really have his hands full. If Pitt were to can PN after this season the next coach will still have something left to work with and add to. It might only take a couple of years to get things going well or at least the new coaches first couple of years won't be complete disasters. .

What is so annoying to me is the clownish way this team plays, sloppy penalties, mistakes. It's Dave Hart all over again. And, yes, I sat through all of Hart's home games at Pitt Stadium.
Oh God no....that experience was worse than a root canal !!!!

Next year will be better. Why because it will actually hurt Pitt. Let me explain. If they go 4-8 this year, PN will be on the hot seat. If he went 5-7 or worse in 2019 he will be fired. But 6-6 or 7-5 probably brings him back for year 6. But that one year of 6 or 7 wins won't help them recruit. Then add the lost class to the coaching change after year 6 and you have a JM2 level of disaster. the next coach is going to really have his hands full. If Pitt were to can PN after this season the next coach will still have something left to work with and add to. It might only take a couple of years to get things going well or at least the new coaches first couple of years won't be complete disasters. .

I agree with the premise. Getting slaughtered by PSU, UCF, ND, Miami and maybe Syracuse truly rips the mask off of Narduzzi.

Had we gone 4-8 with competitive losses, is there a false sense of hope?

It still is 4-8.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
6 defensive starters ? Does that include idoku and zeise ? Good.
2 rbs? Salahuddin and Davis will be fine. Worst loss is OL.

Idoku and Zeise don't let the locker room hit you in the a-s. Good!
Same for the starting OL. The OL is pathetic and one of the reasons Pickett looks terrible. He's had close to no pass protection.

PITT should be playing the younger OLmen, move Bookser to guard somehow, and bench the guys who aren't making it happen.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: California Gold
It’s almost an even split.... about 1/3 of the seniors are good players that were solid contributors throughout their careers, about 1/3 are backups or starters that just don’t make much noise, and about 1/3 are guys most don’t even want in the lineup right now.

Most positions we lose their backups should be an upgrade if they play to potential. The o-line has massively underachieved so who knows that could be much better or much worse next year.

Pickett should be much better next year, if not I’d have to think someone else will get a shot. A lot is gonna depend on the young receivers and what they do the rest of this season and then through camp into next season.

Idk how this shapes out cause I really don’t see this team winning another game. Hard to be any worse than 2-10. I have no faith in narduzzi’s defenses anymore but a new o-coordinator next year should be able to manage 6 wins. Not good for year 5 of narduzzi, but certainly not worse if we really do the unthinkable and go 2-10 this season.
Those backups aren't good enough to play now. Most of them were just average P5 recruits. They don't have this great potential people keep counting on. They are being coached by the staff that put this current product on the field and have been coaching for 4 years. I don't understand how anyone could possibly think our backups have sooo much more potential than the guys ahead of them that we are going to be better next year.

I'd bet on us being just as bad of a team, but maybe we win a game or two more because the schedule is a little easier.

Those backups aren't good enough to play now. Most of them were just average P5 recruits. They don't have this great potential people keep counting on. They are being coached by the staff that put this current product on the field and have been coaching for 4 years. I don't understand how anyone could possibly think our backups have sooo much more potential than the guys ahead of them that we are going to be better next year.

I'd bet on us being just as bad of a team, but maybe we win a game or two more because the schedule is a little easier.
Agreed - Narduzzi needs to make wholesale changes to his staff and schemes that he uses.

Reactions: odshowtime
If you are counting on the young offensive linemen to surpass the performance of the present starters, I fear that you will be severely disappointed. The only reason to play them would be to get experience so that next year's record might be 4 - 8 vs 3 - 9.
The next two years will be bitter disappointments before the inevitable housecleaning at the end of 2020.

I mean, as much as I’d like pitt to succeed, I just don’t see it. Even when chryst’s defenses were getting shredded, you could still see promise with the offense with Boyd, Conner, holtz, Scott O, and a bruising o line. He also still went 6-6.

Now, you see none of that. The defense and offense both stink equally.

I’m to the point I was with stallings. The best outcome he rest of the year is to lose horribly, because bringing him back is just going to delay the needed blowup of the program.

That’s fair. I wouldn’t necessarily say just because these backups don’t start now is an indication they’re not good though. For example, it’s not even possible to argue Zeise is better than brightwell. Zeise only starts because narduzzi starts him, brightwell is clearly a much better football player. I’d even argue if stocker was getting the majority of reps, he’d be better than Briggs.

I don’t think we’ll actually be good next year, but slightly better and like you said the schedule should be easier. Plus some backups that haven’t been here long may still develop. I like ollison and hall but I don’t think salahuddin is gonna be a massive drop-off, he looks like he’ll be a good back. It all comes down to the coaching though, and I just don’t think this staff is good enough for this team to ever be better than average, if even that.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Everyone is forgetting one thing. Uh. Pitt is still able to reach their goals. Typed that with a straight face. A coaching staff isn't going the youth movement way given the number of conference games still to be played. Beat Cuse and then look at the standings.

I agree with the premise. Getting slaughtered by PSU, UCF, ND, Miami and maybe Syracuse truly rips the mask off of Narduzzi.

Had we gone 4-8 with competitive losses, is there a false sense of hope?

It still is 4-8.

You’re kind of describing last year.

The Miami win gave a lot of people a false sense of hope, but in the end it was still a 5-7 record.

Reactions: freddietee511
Hard for me to look at next year, I want to see how this year plays out. As a long time PITT fan I keep hoping for a miracle.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
What is so annoying to me is the clownish way this team plays, sloppy penalties, mistakes. It's Dave Hart all over again. And, yes, I sat through all of Hart's home games at Pitt Stadium.
Was going to mention Hart's name the other day. I backed off because the majority of youngsters on the Lair probably couldn't relate to him.

Reactions: California Panther
Besides Bookser, which SR are you worried about losing?

The problem with this year is not playing younger OL more. Houy should be starting and Bookser to Guard. Hargrove, Drake, Ford and Brown should be playing. Herndon and Dintino have no NFL or Pitt future. Thank them and put them on the bench.

Pickett needs more work as a passer. Don’t let him run as much and force him to read, process the play and make passes from the pocket.

Play Campbell and Ford at Safety.

Who cares if Pitt wins another game this year. Play the young guys for next year.
The mantra next year will be "we are young and learning".

Reactions: quip
The mantra next year will be "we are young and learning".

You’re always young and learning. The difference is, do you have talent and athletic ability to make a difference as you get better.

Too many people get hung up on kids that try hard. This is P5 D1 football. You need athletes.

Reactions: jctrack
Narduzzi has never had recruits piled up at this point in the season... never so I’m not judging anything on that now

Having said that this season has been nothing short of disgraceful

I was happy about beating GT but felt kicked in the groin by the rest

This

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT