ADVERTISEMENT

Blake Hinson vs Cam Johnson

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Cam went in the lottery and has had a nice NBA career. Making a cool $25 million per year. Is his game THAT much better than Blake Hinson?

I was going to say that Cam is taller than him but Google is saying that their both 6'8". I thought Hinson was shorter, got me wondering if Pitt is being generous with his height.

Cam also had a really good handle as a former PG-
And was a terrific defender

Blake can make a roster - but he’s not likely to be drafted

Cam also had a really good handle as a former PG-
And was a terrific defender

Blake can make a roster - but he’s not likely to be drafted

Cam had an ok handle. I wouldn’t call it "really good." He was an ok defender. I certainly wouldn't call him terrific. He was an above average rebounder for his position. What I would say Cam did clearly better was move without the ball to get himself open. But if Blake doesn't make the NBA is Cam $25 million better than Blake?

Cam had an ok handle. I wouldn’t call it "really good." He was an ok defender. I certainly wouldn't call him terrific. He was an above average rebounder for his position. What I would say Cam did clearly better was move without the ball to get himself open. But if Blake doesn't make the NBA is Cam $25 million better than Blake?
Gonna go ahead and trust NBA scouts more than you.

Cam is on a short list for the Olympic team, Hinson will probably not play in the league. Hope he does but as someone pointed out he is 6’6” shooter, no handle, no defense so he would have to be a drop dead shooter to stick

Reactions: Ski11585
Buddy he just got a huge second contract
Because he’s a really good player because of the skills I mentioned
Holy shit

Reactions: Ski11585
Cam went in the lottery and has had a nice NBA career. Making a cool $25 million per year. Is his game THAT much better than Blake Hinson?

Cam is taller. More athletic. Quicker which includes on his jump. He is a guard and can defend different postions. He is a better shooter now and consistent which he really was not on college. Hinson cannot jump. He can’t dribble not at nba level. He won’t be able to rebound in the nba. He is thicker so he takes up some space but he can shoot. He could be a guard maybe if he drills threes like he does in college and does not get cold . I’m talking about the end of the bench where they need threes throw him in. I can’t imagine him guarding many nba players though. Simply not quick enough and his height is not a factor in nba. He would be avg height there. Maybe even small.

Reactions: TreesHero
Cam is taller. More athletic. Quicker which includes on his jump. He is a guard and can defend different postions. He is a better shooter now and consistent which he really was not on college. Hinson cannot jump. He can’t dribble not at nba level. He won’t be able to rebound in the nba. He is thicker so he takes up some space but he can shoot. He could be a guard maybe if he drills threes like he does in college and does not get cold . I’m talking about the end of the bench where they need threes throw him in. I can’t imagine him guarding many nba players though. Simply not quick enough and his height is not a factor in nba. He would be avg height there. Maybe even small.

Good analysis. Hope he can get at least a 2 way. Its crazy how good even the G League is. Littered with former college stars.

Yeah I think Cam is a much better defender than Hinson ... someone called Cam's defense "okay." Yeah at the NBA level, it's probably average. But I think Hinson would be well below average defending NBA talent.

Yeah I think Cam is a much better defender than Hinson ... someone called Cam's defense "okay." Yeah at the NBA level, it's probably average. But I think Hinson would be well below average defending NBA talent.

Cam's defense at Pitt was just ok.

Cam's defense at Pitt was just ok.
This is why guys like Cam go to a UNC. He showed he can play a role. An elite role. At Pitt he would’ve had to been the best player on the team and wouldn’t have been a first rounder. At UNC, he proves he’s a 3 and D candidate with room to improve.

And yes he’s light years better than Hinson. Hinson has one trait and that’s being an elite 3 shooter when he’s on. I would expect almost every staff to start targeting Hinson on defense to make him work more, slow him down offensively.

This is why guys like Cam go to a UNC. He showed he can play a role. An elite role. At Pitt he would’ve had to been the best player on the team and wouldn’t have been a first rounder. At UNC, he proves he’s a 3 and D candidate with room to improve.

And yes he’s light years better than Hinson. Hinson has one trait and that’s being an elite 3 shooter when he’s on. I would expect almost every staff to start targeting Hinson on defense to make him work more, slow him down offensively.

If you put Blake in a time machine and replaced Cam with him on those UNC teams, how much does that help his NBA chances?

Be patient. We will find out when Hinson is offered an NBA contract. Maybe Cam is only $ 15m better. Or $ 20m. Or $ 23m.

I love Cam Johnson. I just dont think he is light years better than Blake. I think Blake can make enough tough 3s to get a shot. People mention his defense but nobody defends in the regular season. Half the team sits out due to load management. Teams going through the motion. There's a spot for a 6'8 logo shooter.

I love Cam Johnson. I just dont think he is light years better than Blake. I think Blake can make enough tough 3s to get a shot. People mention his defense but nobody defends in the regular season. Half the team sits out due to load management. Teams going through the motion. There's a spot for a 6'8 logo shooter.
Do you think you have better acumen than like... every NBA scout alive?

Cam is on a short list for the Olympic team, Hinson will probably not play in the league. Hope he does but as someone pointed out he is 6’6” shooter, no handle, no defense so he would have to be a drop dead shooter to stick

Cam isn't a top 90 player in the league. Short list on the Olympic team if the big guys aren't playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT