ADVERTISEMENT

NFL cracking down on Pat McAfee Show

He reminds me of a jr high kid who got into his dad's liquor cabinet.

Funny for about a second or two, then becomes kinda weird.

I didn't used to care for him a whole lot (even though I barely watch anything he does anyway), but I have to say: He's been perfect for College Gameday. I actually love him in that role. I used to think he was just a lot of sizzle with very little wit, but he's a pretty good mixture of both on that show.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
I really enjoy McAfee. His show, Gameday, as well as Smackdown. He’s always prepared, he’s very well spoken, and he’s a marketing genius. For The Brand.

It seems obvious that McAfee was brought onto College Gameday not to overcrowd the Set, but get him some reps in preparation as the eventual replacement for Corso, who is aging out, and apparently has had some health issues recently, as he has missed a few Saturdays this Season on College Gameday. McAfee actually has the flair and uniqueness to fill Corso’s Wild Pick for their Game each weekend Role at the College they are visiting. I am not sure that McAfee would do the Corso putting on the headgear pick, but maybe find is own unique way to make that anticipated pick each Saturday.

I noticed his first appearance on the College Gameday Show that he was wearing his redneck tank top(think it was underneath a Jacket), but the ESPN Suits must have let him know that he needed to ditch that look, as I do not recall seeing him wear a tank top, since his first appearance on the show.

I have only heard his own show a few times, and recall it was a little entertaining, but my Sports Radio Time is already tied up with Dan Patrick(.I only missed his First Year when on a budget just starting out with no idea if he would have success that he operated his Show with the Danettes out of his House Attic) and Jim Rome-was with him when he started just branching out with a few affiliates outside of SoCal, and not in too many Cities at the time-Las Vegas, H-Town, San Antonio and maybe Denver?, but mostly his initial affiliates were smaller markets, which made the Callers with Redneck Smack a funny part of the show. Every time Otis from Austin came on the air, his Take would be concluded with Rome’s EP at the time playing the Beverly Hillbillies Theme Song, or also used at times for what would now be the Typical Caller from the SEC Conference to the Paul Finebaum Show.

I missed the days when Rome called NASCAR, NECKCAR, and he said every driver was named Ricky, Ernie, Dale or other typical name from that Racing League. I 😂 my arse off when a pissed off Fan of the Left Turn Only NECKCAR Races called Rome claiming to be from the Penske Racing Organization, and told him that if he did not stop making fun of NASCAR, that he would take it all the way to the top-whatever he meant by that threat. Rome eventually sold out and became a Fan, since NASCAR had a smart enough Leadership to work with Rome and make their Drivers easily available for interviews to promote their Sport. I got to admit the Dale Junior guy seems like a pretty good Dude, although think he has since retired. Still not interested in race car driving unless they mix in a Right Hand Turn, and always thought Formula 1 was the only true Great Racing Circuit, and the Cars look cooler with the Drivers sitting so low to the ground. I recall as a kid playing the Pole Position Video Game in a few places with Video Games, and had similar Tracks from Formula 1 to select when playing it. None of that driving around in ovals nonsense.

A lot of old timers did not like the brash, cocky young Rome, who changed Sports Radio with his only request that Callers ‘Have a Take, Don’t Suck’, and he decided early on to limit the number of Callers, and tried to weed out the bad ones(some days he would go the entire show without even taking a call, as he would correctly state, ‘More of Me, and Less of You is a Good Thing’ and I concur). Underneath it all though, was I could tell from his Interviews with Athletes and other People sometimes from other Fields that Rome worked hard and long hours, as he was always well prepared. Several people recall his incident on ESPN-2 Talk Show where Rome was immature in calling NFL QB, Jim Everett, Chrissy, and Everett got mad and started to brawl, but Rome has long since apologized for his inciting remark, and his career has flourished all the way to the Radio Hall of Fame. Love Rome or Hate him, the Dude grinds and so does his staff.

My Favorite Rome Interviews are the ones with Former PGA Golfer, Steve Elkington, whose stories are always entertaining, especially the ones about Hefty(his replacement for Phil Michelson’s ‘Lefty’ Nickname), Monty(his name for Former Professional Golfer, and apparent D-Bag, Colin Montgomery, also known as Mrs. Doubtfire-Elk’s Story about when he had a Match Play 36 Holes Event on the same day and how in between the separate 18 Holes when in the Dining Room, he described how Monty took apart a Dessert designed as the Clubhouse made in Custard was hilarious, as he thought Monty carved out half of it to share with his other table guests, but apparently ate it all himself and Elk then mentioned to Rome, I knew right then mate, that I would beat him on the 2nd 18 Holes-not sure if this interview is up on YouTube like it was around 12 years ago, but worth hearing if it is) and John Daly(the story about when Elk was Golfing with Daly at a Tournament, and their Drinking and Brawling the prior night was epic-also worth hearing if that interview is available on YouTube), or just when Elk gives his Takes on an upcoming Major, and his picks for those Tournaments.

Anyways, back to McAfee, whenever Dan Patrick decides to retire, then I might have time to listen to the WVU ‘Thanks for the 13-9 PITT Win’ FG Kicker, but he made out good for himself with an NFL Career as a Punter and now his Sports Show. Actually, Rich Eisen would be my next pick, if any of my Sports Talk Shows Time opens up, as do watch a few of his Clips posted on YouTube(like how he interviewed a few of the Actors from ‘Better Call Saul’).

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
McAfee should completely go all in here against the NFL. He can come up with derogatory logos and nicknames for each team, and make jerseys and apparel based off them. For example, the Cleveland Cock and Balls. He can have a graffiti artist draw a cock and balls logo for them. Who in Pittsburgh doesn't want that? Cincinnati Bungholes? He could go back to calling Washington the "Redskins". Would love to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT