ADVERTISEMENT

No TV for Jacksonville?

I’ve had the espn+ app for several years now for reasons other than Pitt hoops. But what I have found worth the price is watching all of the other games on the platform. The menu shows the score and the time left in the game, so I navigate through and find a game that’s close, that’s relevant in the NET world, and also might be late in the game. So I flip from game to game to game, watching the final minutes of each game.

And of course last night was worth it to be able to watch Pitt hoops and Pitt womens soccer.

I’ve had the espn+ app for several years now for reasons other than Pitt hoops. But what I have found worth the price is watching all of the other games on the platform. The menu shows the score and the time left in the game, so I navigate through and find a game that’s close, that’s relevant in the NET world, and also might be late in the game. So I flip from game to game to game, watching the final minutes of each game.

And of course last night was worth it to be able to watch Pitt hoops and Pitt womens soccer.

There's no such thing as the ESPN+ app but I assume you meant the ESPN app. I actually disagree though about ESPN+. Its niche sports, not good enough to be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or ACCN. There's so much sports on those channels plus the Fox's and others. How much more does one person need? Now yea, if you follow a niche league or team then its good. For me, I paid the $11 for the Pitt soccer games but I can't imagine I'd need to watch anything else. I feel bad for those poor West Virginians who dont have a conference network so they are forced to pay $11/month to watch all those stream-only WVU football and basketball games on Big 12 Now, the Big 12 equivalent to ACCNX. The difference is the ACCNX games are free to folks who have ACCN. Big 12 Now games are never free.

There's no such thing as the ESPN+ app but I assume you meant the ESPN app. I actually disagree though about ESPN+. Its niche sports, not good enough to be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or ACCN. There's so much sports on those channels plus the Fox's and others. How much more does one person need? Now yea, if you follow a niche league or team then its good. For me, I paid the $11 for the Pitt soccer games but I can't imagine I'd need to watch anything else. I feel bad for those poor West Virginians who dont have a conference network so they are forced to pay $11/month to watch all those stream-only WVU football and basketball games on Big 12 Now, the Big 12 equivalent to ACCNX. The difference is the ACCNX games are free to folks who have ACCN. Big 12 Now games are never free.
Ahhh. I dunno. I assumed they were all games that I only get because I pay. The only thing I pay attention to are ESPN U games, because a + subscription doesn’t grant access to those games unless you pay for U through your cable provider.

If you are an NHL fan ESPN+ is the best value out there.

Ahhh. I dunno. I assumed they were all games that I only get because I pay. The only thing I pay attention to are ESPN U games, because a + subscription doesn’t grant access to those games unless you pay for U through your cable provider.

Then I wonder if most of what you are watching on that app is actually free to you if you didnt have ESPN+. Like you know you never need ESPN+ for Pitt home games (in any sport). Those are all free if your TV provider has ESPN and ACCN.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Then I wonder if most of what you are watching on that app is actually free to you if you didnt have ESPN+. Like you know you never need ESPN+ for Pitt home games (in any sport). Those are all free if your TV provider has ESPN and ACCN.
Yeah that makes sense. I just had never considered that before. But like the other night, I watched a bunch of games. One was Dayton vs Northwestern. Not sure if that was carried on cable or not. I watched via the app. And there were others too. And of course, I watched #1 UCLA women lose to UC Irvine in soccer which certainly was espn+ only…but that’s the niche you’re talking about.

Yeah that makes sense. I just had never considered that before. But like the other night, I watched a bunch of games. One was Dayton vs Northwestern. Not sure if that was carried on cable or not. I watched via the app. And there were others too. And of course, I watched #1 UCLA women lose to UC Irvine in soccer which certainly was espn+ only…but that’s the niche you’re talking about.

Dayton/NW was one of those tourney games, the Disney one I think. Most of those games are free on the ESPN networks but dont for sure about that one.

Olympic Sports NCAA Tournament games in all the sports are on ESPN+ but that's niche. Knowing a little about what you watch, you probably dont need ESPN+ other than for a special event like the NCAA Soccer Tournaments. I just got it for a month and will cancel it. Like, they have all the LaLiga games but there's basically wall to wall soccer for free now to the point where USL is going to be on network TV so does anyone really "need" to watch LaLiga unless you are a huge fan of one of the teams?

Dayton/NW was one of those tourney games, the Disney one I think. Most of those games are free on the ESPN networks but dont for sure about that one.

Olympic Sports NCAA Tournament games in all the sports are on ESPN+ but that's niche. Knowing a little about what you watch, you probably dont need ESPN+ other than for a special event like the NCAA Soccer Tournaments. I just got it for a month and will cancel it. Like, they have all the LaLiga games but there's basically wall to wall soccer for free now to the point where USL is going to be on network TV so does anyone really "need" to watch LaLiga unless you are a huge fan of one of the teams?
I still know a lot of kids who are playing collegiately so I watch all that stuff. I do wonder, once I get further removed from HS sports through time, if I’ll have the same interest in the niche sports of other schools. I probably won’t. But I’ll still need it for Pitt olympic sports and for stuff like the FA Cup.

I also have always paid for it as a bundle with Hulu and Disney+. I’ve never watched Hulu ever, and I find myself watching Disney+ less and less. Probably by the time I weed myself away from Disney+ entirely and find myself watching less espn+, I’ll have grandkids and need to start it all over again…that is if Disney is still in the family friendly content business.

What tourney game is that?

I still know a lot of kids who are playing collegiately so I watch all that stuff. I do wonder, once I get further removed from HS sports through time, if I’ll have the same interest in the niche sports of other schools. I probably won’t. But I’ll still need it for Pitt olympic sports and for stuff like the FA Cup.

I also have always paid for it as a bundle with Hulu and Disney+. I’ve never watched Hulu ever, and I find myself watching Disney+ less and less. Probably by the time I weed myself away from Disney+ entirely and find myself watching less espn+, I’ll have grandkids and need to start it all over again…that is if Disney is still in the family friendly content business.

You dont need ESPN+ for Pitt olympic sports. Every Pitt home game in every single sport is free to you on a linear ESPN channel or the ESPN app. Also, every Pitt road ACC game in every sport is free to you. There may be 1-2 road OOC games per year that are ESPN+ only. An example are road games at Marshall (soccer) since most Sun Belt stuff is ESPN+ only. You would need ESPN+ for the FA Cup but that's really niche. Its a cool tournament but how much soccer does one need? There's so much on linear TV, its crazy. Remember there used to be literally 0 soccer games on TV in the 4 years between the World Cup. Now you can watch the Scottish Premiership on CBSSN and semi-pro USL on the ESPN networks (soon to be CBS).

Dayton/NW was last week on BTN. You must have meant Dayton/LSU or Dayton/SJU. Both free on the ESPN app because they were on ESPN2.

You dont need ESPN+ for Pitt olympic sports. Every Pitt home game in every single sport is free to you on a linear ESPN channel or the ESPN app. Also, every Pitt road ACC game in every sport is free to you. There may be 1-2 road OOC games per year that are ESPN+ only. An example are road games at Marshall (soccer) since most Sun Belt stuff is ESPN+ only. You would need ESPN+ for the FA Cup but that's really niche. Its a cool tournament but how much soccer does one need? There's so much on linear TV, its crazy. Remember there used to be literally 0 soccer games on TV in the 4 years between the World Cup. Now you can watch the Scottish Premiership on CBSSN and semi-pro USL on the ESPN networks (soon to be CBS).

Dayton/NW was last week on BTN. You must have meant Dayton/LSU or Dayton/SJU. Both free on the ESPN app because they were on ESPN2.
No. It was the Dayton game vs Northwestern. I must have watched on B10.

So everything I’m watching collegiately is available without subscription? What about the ncaa soccer tourney?

So everything I’m watching collegiately is available without subscription? What about the ncaa soccer tourney?

No. The ACCNX stuff is free if you have a provider that has the ACCN. If you don't have a provider that has the ACCN then you don't get the ACCNX stuff. There is no extra package for that, and they are not available to ESPN+ subscribers.

A lot of the other college stuff, for instance the Big 12 and others, are on ESPN+, and you have to pay extra for that, which you are. The NCAA soccer tournaments (and other NCAA olympic sports tournaments) are on ESPN+.

As an example, I do not have ESPN+. I did back when my niece was playing for Duquesne, because the A10 is on ESPN+. So I was not home last night, I was at the basketball game, but I would not have been able to watch the women's game because the NCAA tournament games are on ESPN+. On the other hand, if I was at home instead of being at the game, I could have watched the basketball game because I have Fubo tv and Fubo has the ACC Network, so I have access to the ACCNX games.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
No. The ACCNX stuff is free if you have a provider that has the ACCN. If you don't have a provider that has the ACCN then you don't get the ACCNX stuff. There is no extra package for that, and they are not available to ESPN+ subscribers.

A lot of the other college stuff, for instance the Big 12 and others, are on ESPN+, and you have to pay extra for that, which you are. The NCAA soccer tournaments (and other NCAA olympic sports tournaments) are on ESPN+.

As an example, I do not have ESPN+. I did back when my niece was playing for Duquesne, because the A10 is on ESPN+. So I was not home last night, I was at the basketball game, but I would not have been able to watch the women's game because the NCAA tournament games are on ESPN+. On the other hand, if I was at home instead of being at the game, I could have watched the basketball game because I have Fubo tv and Fubo has the ACC Network, so I have access to the ACCNX games.
Thank you.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
No. It was the Dayton game vs Northwestern. I must have watched on B10.

Joe covered it but I thought you were pretty savvy about this stuff. A rule of thumb is this:

would America like to watch this = free

is this niche = you need ESPN+

Assuming you have ACCN with your cable/satellite/streaming provider, I would guess that 95%-99% of your sports viewing on the ESPN app is free to you and doesnt require ESPN+

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT