ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Hurricane

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
I hope this really doesn't go sideways, it likely will. While we play UNC this week, the photos and footage of the devastation in Asheville and Western NC is just mind blowing. Obviously living in Greenville, SC for 5 years, I know the region/area well. Seeing Chimney Rock destroyed, Asheville and all of the communities underwater. All those roads washed away. I know we have some posters on here that live in or near there. Are you guys alright? Can you even log onto things? I mean the infrastructure was devasted for all walks of modern life. I am hearing the death toll could be in the hundreds and hundreds as in an event like this, unlike a hurricane, you don't really plan to evacuate and some of the water just came up so fast, there was nowhere to go.

Anyone following this or live in this region??

Last edited:
I hope this really doesn't go sideways, it likely will. While we play UNC this week, the photos and footage of the devastation in Asheville and Western NC is just mind blowing. Obviously living in Greenville, SC for 5 years, I know the region/area well. Seeing Chimney Rock destroyed, Asheville and all of the communities underwater. All those roads washed away. I know we have some posters on here that live in or near there. Are you guys alright? Can you even log onto things? I mean the infrastructure was devasted for all walks of modern life. I am hearing the death toll could be in the hundreds and hundreds as in an event like this, unlike a hurricane, you don't really plan to evacuate and some of the water just came up so fast, there was nowhere to go.

been there done that in Johnstown...not fun.

Similar terrain. Are you talking about 1977? Was that the year?
yep...freak summer storm that started about the opening pitch of the All Star game when the lights went out and did not come back on for two weeks...12 inches of rain in 8 or 9 hours just does not work well with hilly terrain. 20 miles outside of town, not a drop. Wake up the next morning and get out of the house with a foot of water in the first floor. Town devastated (again!) with 80+ dead...

I have customers in the western part of the state who have lost everything.

I'm just north of Charlotte and we are ok but a lot of people still don't have power, even around this area. There are lists of people still missing in the western Carolina area and I am afraid the fatalities number will rise considerably

yep...freak summer storm that started about the opening pitch of the All Star game when the lights went out and did not come back on for two weeks...12 inches of rain in 8 or 9 hours just does not work well with hilly terrain. 20 miles outside of town, not a drop. Wake up the next morning and get out of the house with a foot of water in the first floor. Town devastated (again!) with 80+ dead...
I have relatives that say the lightening was non-stop that night. Like the universe was angry and just decided to take it out on Johnstown.

Was maybe fifteen years ago we had something like this storm happen near where I live. Very localized downpour at the top of a nearby ridge line and the water just rolled down the surrounding valleys. Was just wild and most of the damage was done by the debris that was picked up, including the stream rock. Just amazing how much damage a sudden downpour like that can do in the deep valleys of Appalachia. Water has just one place to go.

I think NC Panther might still reside Ashville area.

NC, are you okay?
Not NC Panther, but I'm guessing you meant me.

We are actually in Clarion so we are OK. Our house in NC is also OK. A neighbor walked around it a couple of days ago and found the expected branches and leaves to be cleaned up. But no damage to the house. Our generator was running so no rotten food when we get back either. Power has been out for days but is expected to be restored tomorrow.

I've been following the situation closely and have been in contact with friends and neighbors. I'm also following relevant social media sites. The area devastated. Low-lying areas suffered record flooding. Other areas had roads wash out. The most widespread damage is from falling trees. They are everywhere blocking roads and knocking down power lines. We have 2 separate trees blocking the exit from our community - 1 at our next-door neighbor's house and the other at the main entrance.

The areas prone to flash floods are the most devastated. The town of Chimney was wiped away. I'm not exaggerating. It is completely gone. Lake Lure is now completely full of wood debris from the buildings.

All-in-all we are lucky to be in PA and that our house survived. We are on top of a mountain. The houses in the valley below apparently weren't as lucky.

Thanks for asking.

We are actually in Clarion so we are OK. Our house in NC is also OK. A neighbor walked around it a couple of days ago and found the expected branches and leaves to be cleaned up. But no damage to the house. Our generator was running so no rotten food when we get back either. Power has been out for days but is expected to be restored tomorrow.

I've been following the situation closely and have been in contact with friends and neighbors. I'm also following relevant social media sites. The area devastated. Low-lying areas suffered record flooding. Other areas had roads wash out. The most widespread damage is from falling trees. They are everywhere blocking roads and knocking down power lines. We have 2 separate trees blocking the exit from our community - 1 at our next-door neighbor's house and the other at the main entrance.

The areas prone to flash floods are the most devastated. The town of Chimney was wiped away. I'm not exaggerating. It is completely gone. Lake Lure is now completely full of wood debris from the buildings.

All-in-all we are lucky to be in PA and that our house survived. We are on top of a mountain. The houses in the valley below apparently weren't as lucky.

Thanks for asking.
Man I know Chimney Rock. Have been there a few times. When we first moved to Greenville, SC still had its stupid blue laws and on Sundays would often head up to areas like Asheville, Hendersonville, Tryon, Chimney Rock for lunch or dinner. Played alot of golf in those areas.

I think NC Panther might still reside Ashville area.

NC, are you okay?
Thanks but I believe @NCPitt might live near Asheville.

I actually live right next to Pinehurst, NC in Aberdeen, NC.

We got ~some of Helene but not anywhere near what the western part got.

In 2018 - forget the hurricane name - but that one hit us pretty hard here.

My wife is currently rounding up some supplies to take to the Red Cross where they can get to the western part of the state.

I've never seen anything like what's going on over there - truly very tragic and very sad.

My mom had some friends/classmates whose entire families died in that. Crazy to think about. And it was kind of unrelated to how it happened in 1889, which makes it even more nuts.

Wow. Didn't realize Greenville, SC was hit so bad. 29 people have died in the Upstate SC. Trees down. 75% of the people still don't have any power.

I have relatives that say the lightening was non-stop that night. Like the universe was angry and just decided to take it out on Johnstown.
I lived thru that night and believe me the lightning was constant. The pictures I am seeing from Ashville look like they could have been taken in Johnstown in 1977. A night I will never forget.

Reactions: pittdan77

Thanks for asking.
geez, that looks like the aftermath of those tsunamis in southeastern Asia or the downstream lahars after the Mt. St. Helens eruption

I lived thru that night and believe me the lightning was constant. The pictures I am seeing from Ashville look like they could have been taken in Johnstown in 1977. A night I will never forget.
like daylight....constant flashing for 7 or 8 hours.......I concur...I remember putting on my chucks in bed since of course the rubber would protect me had I been struck...oddly exciting time for a 12 year old.

Reactions: pittdan77
The only think I never understood is how Johnstown leans into the flood city moniker. It's wild.
town was and is actually flood free per se since 1936...no issues with heavy day upon day rainfall. 14 inches of rain in three days, no problem..12 inches of rain in 8 hours would f'up anywhere.....this '77 deal was truly a freak once in a thousand year type of deal.

Live in the Charlotte area (Lake Wylie). We were without power till Sunday at 1 pm. Not a lot of if any damage. So sad to see the vids and images of the Chimney Rock and Boone Areas. Great little towns.

I lived through the 500 year flood during Hurricane Floyd as a student finishing up at ECU in 1999 in greenville NC. Whole towns were underwater. 2500 students dropped out of school and my apartment was underwater. This is eerily similar and it's sad to see.
That year e were supposed to ironically play Miami the next week and ended up playing at NCSU stadium. Came back from down 20 points in the second half to win. I remember crying watching that comeback. It gave people something to really around. Pray for App State this week

That area on NC gets hit hard with these storms. Have a customer over that way, and thankfully the folks I know are okay.

They got hit pretty hard a few years ago too when the Pigeon River was flooding everything.

My boss lives in Asheville and had to be rescued. Whole house destroyed. Neighbor down the street from him unfortunately drowned. Friend of mine had water nearly to the second story of his home between Boone and blowing rock.

Had many good times visiting chimney rock and lake lure. It’s hard to believe it’s completely gone.

My neighbor here in Raleigh, her son is a firefighter in Boone. We gathered a lot of supplies here and he was able to come back to Raleigh with a truck to take it back just this morning.

My boss lives in Asheville and had to be rescued. Whole house destroyed. Neighbor down the street from him unfortunately drowned. Friend of mine had water nearly to the second story of his home between Boone and blowing rock.

Had many good times visiting chimney rock and lake lure. It’s hard to believe it’s completely gone.

My neighbor here in Raleigh, her son is a firefighter in Boone. We gathered a lot of supplies here and he was able to come back to Raleigh with a truck to take it back just this morning.
I was watching some videos on X and Facebook taken from people as water rushed through their house and even in a car. And I am thinking.....this was early on Friday, it wasn't getting any better. Did those people shooting it even survive??

Death toll up to 160 now. I am afraid it will be well into the 200's after all is said and done. The thing about flooding in a region like here, as our Johnstown friends know, unlike when Hurricanes inundate Eastern North Carolina or Florida or even the Mississippi region, there it is flat and rivers are usually wide. So it is much slower, much easier to prepare and get to higher ground. In mountainous areas, water achieves a velocity that flat areas don't see. So you have much more violent force. Also, the joke is if you flattened out a state like West Virginia it would have the surface area of Texas. The point here, there is alot of "surface area" that is packed into a much tighter land area. So that's alot more water having to seek egress in a much smaller, concentrated area. And finally gravitity right? Water is going to seek the lowest level.

That's why you see catastrophic results from say a really bad series of thunderstorms like what happened in the Oglebay Park area of West Virginia where you have more deaths than say the Mississippi River floods of a few years ago.

I agree the death toll in NC will rise substantially from what is reported. There are still hundreds of people missing or unaccounted for in the area. I know someone who is a mortician in western carolina and she said the numbers are drastically understated. as bodies were seen going down the river and will not be counted until they are recovered. Being so remote in areas that may be awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT