ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina A&T Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** In the hour or so before this season opening Panther Hoops contest, I thought about what there might be to say about the evening’s proceedings. Then, I came upon a wonderful conclusion. That is, “we are back!”

** I’ve taken plenty of well-deserved heat for my infamous premature proclamation back in January 2021. But in my defense, what “We Are Back” really only meant is that we mattered once again. At the time, this may have even been true, until the Panthers tanked in the weeks that followed that season.

** But after reading so many preseason predictions from prognosticators and fans unlike, including resident expert @Matt Steinbrink, thinking we can find our way into the NCAA tournament this season does indeed make the "being back" point. All we really want is to believe we CAN be successful.

** And even if one such as myself has been cautious to suggest that a Dance Card is surely in the cards come March, I do realize that it’s been since the fall of 2016 that I went into a season thinking it was even possible. That is "back."

** Walking to my seats tonight peering upon a perfectly packed Zoo bouncing and sporting nifty blue and gold caps only added to this positivity.

** Then the game started.

** Just 11 seconds in, a young man named Bub threw a pretty reverse pass to an older man named Blake who began the Panther assault with one of his patented three point bombs.

** Three more consecutive Bub assists later, the rout was already on, and the triple double watch was underway. For this night for sure, by the aforementioned standard, the Panthers surely are back.

** So, about this “triple double,” mostly just for fun, I "must" say the following. Midway through the second half, this Bub gentleman took a seat for a blow with six assists to his name, and we could have sworn that when he returned to the court his tally had grown to seven.

** Assist number nine was also curious. Bub threw pass to Zack at the corner. Instead of letting the three fly, Zach up faked and drove the baseline for a layup. An assist? Tonight, damn right it was!

** Still, I’m not sure I’ve rooted for an assist so much when Bub later swung a pass to Blake whose three went out and in and out for what would have been assist #10. At the break after the shot, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Blake so angry knowing he didn’t come through for the moment.

** But kudos to Coach Capel for giving everyone everything they wanted and entering Bub one last time to make history. And following a Carrington pass when GDiaz’s three bounced on the front rim, bounced off the backboard, and then finally fell through, we all got to witness something special.

** Triple doubles aside, it’s hard not to think that Panthers are not only back, but here to stay with Number 7 on the court. I’m always one to resist hype, but it's hard not to recognize how effortless his stellar performance was this night.

** Accordingly, if you are one to believe that Bub could be the running for ACC Rookie of the Year, or a one and done candidate, or will even be the Panthers best player this year, it’s simply unwise to throw caution into such thoughts at the moment.

** It would also be unwise to try to throw caution into this overall performance by the Panthers, regardless of the inabilities of the opponent. In fact, what impressed me the most is that we scored 100 without shooting the ball exceptionally well. Sure, 56% is good, but it’s not sizzling. And it wasn’t as if our opponent was inept offensively. They took care of the ball well and ran some decent stuff. But we guarded their shots well enough that they just weren’t making them

** The reality seemed to be that we simply overwhelmed the Aggies the way an NCAA tournament type team should.

** We also showed firepower up and down the lineup, right down to Jorge who flashed every bit of skill that anyone might want to see from him.

** Everyone showed something actually. Most notable to me was Fede, who showed some work with the dribble to get his shot, and plenty of toughness inside.

** Ish was good, Will made Will plays, G made G plays, and Mike made another deep one at the end.

** Zach and Jaland contributed as well, but they might have been the only two Panthers who left me wanting a little more. I still want to see Zach hit the open three, and Jaland seems to be having a little difficulty knowing exactly how to assert himself. But that’s nitpicking.

** It’s nitpicking because this was nothing short of a glorious start of the Panther season, and an equally glorious start of a career for Mr. Carrington. Mostly it was tons of fun, and even more so, seemed like tons of fun for our Panther players.

** On the out way of the Pete, I was even fortunate enough to receive the gift of one of those nifty blue and gold caps from a kind and excited Zoo Member. My thanks to my Zoo friend, as it was literally and figuratively a perfect “capper” to as close to a perfect Panther season opener as I can remember in quite some time.

** So, about this “triple double,” mostly just for fun, I "must" say the following. Midway through the second half, this Bub gentleman took a seat for a blow with six assists to his name, and we could have sworn that when he returned to the court his tally had grown to seven.

** Assist number nine was also curious. Bub threw pass to Zack at the corner. Instead of letting the three fly, Zach up faked and drove the baseline for a layup. An assist? Tonight, damn right it was!

They gave him two assists on plays that he passed the ball to the corner to Austin and Austin did a little fake and when the defender didn't bite he drove the baseline for a basket. The one and only reason that anyone would ever consider giving a guy an assist for either of those two passes was because he was close to a triple double.

If one of us had asked the other at Greentree/Montour if someone should get an assist for a play like that the other would have quickly said no way.

And fwiw, it was the 6th assist that was the first questionable one. It showed up on the board late because for some reason the individual numbers were slow in updating tonight, certainly slower than in the past. They put that sixth one up right before the time out, and then when it updated again after the timeout had started it put another one up. By that time, the individual numbers weren't being shown on the main scoreboard, you had to be looking at the big board above the former porch to see it change to seven.

They gave him two assists on plays that he passed the ball to the corner to Austin and Austin did a little fake and when the defender didn't bite he drove the baseline for a basket. The one and only reason that anyone would ever consider giving a guy an assist for either of those two passes was because he was close to a triple double.

If one of us had asked the other at Greentree/Montour if someone should get an assist for a play like that the other would have quickly said no way.

And fwiw, it was the 6th assist that was the first questionable one. It showed up on the board late because for some reason the individual numbers were slow in updating tonight, certainly slower than in the past. They put that sixth one up right before the time out, and then when it updated again after the timeout had started it put another one up. By that time, the individual numbers weren't being shown on the main scoreboard, you had to be looking at the big board above the former porch to see it change to seven.
Still ... only geeks like you and me even notice stuff like that! To the rest of the world, all that matters is 18-12-10!

This team is DEEEEP. There’s at least 5 players that will be on NBA rosters. We haven’t had that since never. I can’t believe how long we are.

Everyone can handle, pass and shoot it seems. It’s remarkable.

They love playing with each other. I felt the same way after Tenn Martin last year.

Holy Moly!! WE’RE BACK!!!!

Still ... only geeks like you and me even notice stuff like that! To the rest of the world, all that matters is 18-12-10!

We were paying pretty close attention, and after the one on Austin's first drive the guy that I was at the game with said there's no way that's an assist, so we were looking for the board to update, and then right after that he got an actual real assist. They didn't add the first one until almost the same time as the actual assist, which is why if you didn't see the next update you could miss what they had done.

On one of those passes to Austin, Austin passed up an open jumper to shot fake and drive and Carrington's body language showed playful disgust at that because he knew Austin blew his chance at an assist but they gave it to him anyway. Some people will say you shouldn't get an assist on a perimeter pass where a 3 is made. I think everyone gives those though. I hate to be critical because Carrington was very good and might be a star here but only a few of his assists, were true "point guard creating offense" assists.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
This team is DEEEEP. There’s at least 5 players that will be on NBA rosters. We haven’t had that since never. I can’t believe how long we are.

They love playing with each other. I felt the same way after Tenn Martin last year.

Carrington, Hinson, G Diaz, J Diaz, ___ ?

On one of those passes to Austin, Austin passed up an open jumper to shot fake and drive and Carrington's body language showed playful disgust at that because he knew Austin blew his chance at an assist but they gave it to him anyway. Some people will say you shouldn't get an assist on a perimeter pass where a 3 is made. I think everyone gives those though. I hate to be critical because Carrington was very good and might be a star here but only a few of his assists, were true "point guard creating offense" assists.

People who say that you shouldn't get an assist on a perimeter pass where a three is made are simply showing their ignorance of what the official scoring rules say is an assist.

Reactions: jctrack
** In the hour or so before this season opening Panther Hoops contest, I thought about what there might be to say about the evening’s proceedings. Then, I came upon a wonderful conclusion. That is, “we are back!”

** I’ve taken plenty of well-deserved heat for my infamous premature proclamation back in January 2021. But in my defense, what “We Are Back” really only meant is that we mattered once again. At the time, this may have even been true, until the Panthers tanked in the weeks that followed that season.

** But after reading so many preseason predictions from prognosticators and fans unlike, including resident expert @Matt Steinbrink, thinking we can find our way into the NCAA tournament this season does indeed make the "being back" point. All we really want is to believe we CAN be successful.

** And even if one such as myself has been cautious to suggest that a Dance Card is surely in the cards come March, I do realize that it’s been since the fall of 2016 that I went into a season thinking it was even possible. That is "back."

** Walking to my seats tonight peering upon a perfectly packed Zoo bouncing and sporting nifty blue and gold caps only added to this positivity.

** Just 11 seconds in, a young man named Bub threw a pretty reverse pass to an older man named Blake who began the Panther assault with one of his patented three point bombs.

** Three more consecutive Bub assists later, the rout was already on, and the triple double watch was underway. For this night for sure, by the aforementioned standard, the Panthers surely are back.

** Still, I’m not sure I’ve rooted for an assist so much when Bub later swung a pass to Blake whose three went out and in and out for what would have been assist #10. At the break after the shot, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Blake so angry knowing he didn’t come through for the moment.

** But kudos to Coach Capel for giving everyone everything they wanted and entering Bub one last time to make history. And following a Carrington pass when GDiaz’s three bounced on the front rim, bounced off the backboard, and then finally fell through, we all got to witness something special.

** Triple doubles aside, it’s hard not to think that Panthers are not only back, but here to stay with Number 7 on the court. I’m always one to resist hype, but it's hard not to recognize how effortless his stellar performance was this night.

** Accordingly, if you are one to believe that Bub could be the running for ACC Rookie of the Year, or a one and done candidate, or will even be the Panthers best player this year, it’s simply unwise to throw caution into such thoughts at the moment.

** It would also be unwise to try to throw caution into this overall performance by the Panthers, regardless of the inabilities of the opponent. In fact, what impressed me the most is that we scored 100 without shooting the ball exceptionally well. Sure, 56% is good, but it’s not sizzling. And it wasn’t as if our opponent was inept offensively. They took care of the ball well and ran some decent stuff. But we guarded their shots well enough that they just weren’t making them

** The reality seemed to be that we simply overwhelmed the Aggies the way an NCAA tournament type team should.

** We also showed firepower up and down the lineup, right down to Jorge who flashed every bit of skill that anyone might want to see from him.

** Everyone showed something actually. Most notable to me was Fede, who showed some work with the dribble to get his shot, and plenty of toughness inside.

** Ish was good, Will made Will plays, G made G plays, and Mike made another deep one at the end.

** Zach and Jaland contributed as well, but they might have been the only two Panthers who left me wanting a little more. I still want to see Zach hit the open three, and Jaland seems to be having a little difficulty knowing exactly how to assert himself. But that’s nitpicking.

** It’s nitpicking because this was nothing short of a glorious start of the Panther season, and an equally glorious start of a career for Mr. Carrington. Mostly it was tons of fun, and even more so, seemed like tons of fun for our Panther players.

** On the out way of the Pete, I was even fortunate enough to receive the gift of one of those nifty blue and gold caps from a kind and excited Zoo Member. My thanks to my Zoo friend, as it was literally and figuratively a perfect “capper” to as close to a perfect Panther season opener as I can remember in quite some time.

Had to be the most fun I had at an opener but mostly because they were always snooze fests, even back to the glory days. And now that I know too much about NET, I have the point spread in my head so I am a little nervous, well nervous isnt the right word, but I have that fan anxiety that they can cut into the lead and hurt our NET. I hate that and I hate NET but glad we won like we did. Its early but this is a team that has Sweet 16 potential and the floor may be the bubble.

I cant decide what I liked more tonight, our team defense, or our passing. Bub's going to steal the hype, but our defense and team passing were both quite impressive. My play of the game was how we attacked the press defense, all 5 guys touched the ball and we got an alley oop dunk with total ease.

I thought Austin was good today. Jaland was the only guy on our team I thought was a bit shaky outside of a few bad offensive decisions by Hinson. Jaland could have had 6 or 7 assists tonight if a few of our guys made the wide open looks from his passes like they did for Bub. Jaland looked a little more settled down in the 2nd half.

And I just finished watching James Madison bury #4 Michigan State on Michigan State's home floor. This night cant get much better!

I cant decide what I liked more tonight, our team defense, or our passing. Bub's going to steal the hype, but our defense and team passing were both quite impressive. My play of the game was how we attacked the press defense, all 5 guys touched the ball and we got an alley oop dunk with total ease.

I thought Austin was good today. Jaland was the only guy on our team I thought was a bit shaky outside of a few bad offensive decisions by Hinson. Jaland could have had 6 or 7 assists tonight if a few of our guys made the wide open looks from his passes like they did for Bub. Jaland looked a little more settled down in the 2nd half.

And I just finished watching James Madison bury #4 Michigan State on Michigan State's home floor. This night cant get much better!
I also thought Zach was good— I just want to see him start hitting the corner three.

The only guy that concerned me was Jaland. And it was not because I am worried about him in the long term, but because I thought he hunted his shot way too much and didn’t
let the game come to him like Bub did.

I was fine with how Austin did. He really did not force much and that was what I wanted to see. He played good D and rebounded fine.

It is way too early, but this team should have a pretty nice year. Just tons of depth and size to work with. I really thought the D was very good too.

What’s not to like after a performance like this .

One game doesn’t make a season but , they’re tall , athletic , can shoot , play D , have depth and are selfless . Barring injuries this is a tournament team that no one will want to play .

Bub appears to have it all , but to me a freshman coming in and just taking total control of a team is the most impressive thing . That reminds me of JRob , but he appears to be far more talented . That performance tonight was no fluke IMO , he looks to be able to do whatever the team needs him to do .

Bub will not be at Pitt for four years !

I had always believed in JC , but I must admit after the abysmal start to last season I wavered . You have to give the man credit , he took over a broken program and had several major setbacks along the way , but DT you’re right “ We are back “ and Pitt has a coach whose found the formula for success at Pitt .

The twins can make Pitt impossible to defend and their length on defense is stifling . As they continue to improve and become stronger they will be the difference makers in this program .

With Hinson staying and with the twins and Fede I was optimistic this could be a good year , but after seeing the new additions I’m no longer optimistic , I’m sure this will be a good year . This is no 9th place team !

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

5 guys on NBA rosters!? Like the Association? Or G league?

If that’s true, Pitt is a national title contender. I think you may have had one too many IPA’s.

Nevertheless, a great game and a great win!

Reactions: FireballZ

I hate to dump any salt on this fire, but something is amiss with these HBCU’s. I haven’t seen them THIS down in a while. VT put up a similar performance against Coppin State, Kansas and NC central and Arizona and Morgan state too. Delaware State put up slightly more of a fight but 45 points? Sheesh.

I guess that trend of good players going there was a blip. I say wait until game 2 to declare us with your jinx of “we are back” 😉

Reactions: TD_6082

If that’s true, Pitt is a national title contender. I think you may have had one too many IPA’s.

Preseason games. I should have clarified. Carrington is a lotto pick. I knew I’d get your attention. Lol

Preseason games. I should have clarified. Carrington is a lotto pick. I knew I’d get your attention. Lol
Bub is for sure a lotto pick.

And I was always a guy who said the twins would be excellent college players, but I’m maybe talking myself into thinking they have a shot at playing in the league.

Liked the team d, passing, rebounding. Looks like they replaced enough to be a tourney/bubble team again.

Haha.

Carrington is the one I can get behind. Won’t say Lotto pick until I see more. I could see him going first round eventually.

Fede has the body and type of game a backup center would need. Not nearly talented enough. Love him though.

Diaz Graham’s both still need so much more seasoning and are almost as old as Fede.

Hinson will be similar to Champagnie in that he could fill a need for a team based purely on production and having one elite ability. Still lateral quickness will kill him on that level.

Not to say they’re not all potentially good or even great college players or this team may not be very good. But we did play NC A and T ha. Pitt Johnstown was better imo

Appreciate your insights and enthusiasm. Hope you introduce yourself to me this season.

Reactions: Ski11585

1. Carrington
2. Hinson
3. Jdg (nba teams love a 7 footer who can shoot)
4. Gdg (same as jdg
Not sure about 5, but the athleticism and defense of jeffress austin and fede could land one of them in the league

Haha.

Carrington is the one I can get behind. Won’t say Lotto pick until I see more. I could see him going first round eventually.

Fede has the body and type of game a backup center would need. Not nearly talented enough. Love him though.

Diaz Graham’s both still need so much more seasoning and are almost as old as Fede.

Hinson will be similar to Champagnie in that he could fill a need for a team based purely on production and having one elite ability. Still lateral quickness will kill him on that level.

Not to say they’re not all potentially good or even great college players or this team may not be very good. But we did play NC A and T ha. Pitt Johnstown was better imo

Appreciate your insights and enthusiasm. Hope you introduce yourself to me this season.
See ya soon I hope.

My thoughts on the assists, simply its how things shouldve went. At home you get those b/c ur team is keeping the stats. Last year in the nba people were pissed because the memphis scoring table would give jaren jackson more steals and blocks than people thought he should have trying to inflate his stats for his dpoy candidacy.

I hate to dump any salt on this fire, but something is amiss with these HBCU’s. I haven’t seen them THIS down in a while. VT put up a similar performance against Coppin State, Kansas and NC central and Arizona and Morgan state too. Delaware State put up slightly more of a fight but 45 points? Sheesh.

I guess that trend of good players going there was a blip. I say wait until game 2 to declare us with your jinx of “we are back” 😉
I noticed the same thing. Seems like everybody won by 50.

And remember… we are back only means that it’s good to believe again that we can. It’s not a proclamation that we will!

1. Carrington
2. Hinson
3. Jdg (nba teams love a 7 footer who can shoot)
4. Gdg (same as jdg
Not sure about 5, but the athleticism and defense of jeffress austin and fede could land one of them in the league
I have my response to the 5 mentioned above. Don’t see any surefire guys but Carrington seems to be the closest. The twins aren’t even close to NBA level bugs yet and Fede actually fits the mold of a backup big better right now

Reactions: joeydavid

Shame on you two for trying to take away from Bub’s night.

Reactions: PittED2001
I have my response to the 5 mentioned above. Don’t see any surefire guys but Carrington seems to be the closest. The twins aren’t even close to NBA level bugs yet and Fede actually fits the mold of a backup big better right now
Agreed, 5 years from now 5 or maybe more will have had time in the nba. My hopeful expectation is that carrington hinson and maybe fede go after this year. Then next year jdg and gdg become starters and take the step to nba level.

I noticed the same thing. Seems like everybody won by 50.

And remember… we are back only means that it’s good to believe again that we can. It’s not a proclamation that we will!
Yes, however, they showed some promising things: Easily breaking press early on was encouraging versus in years past. Scoring 100 with Hinson only making 2 threes and Jeffress playing 17 minutes. I think that is telling. If I saw only the score I would think Hinson would have had an 8/17 three point night.

First 100 point game since they beat Marshall in 2016 112-106 and Artis had 30.

If Carrington is that good, I hope he sticks around at Pitt for 4 years! I want him at Pitt so I can enjoy watching him play that level of hoops. I don't care about the NBA but hope in 4 years, he gets his chance ONLY AFTER he plays at Pitt for 4 years.

Yes, however, they showed some promising things: Easily breaking press early on was encouraging versus in years past. Scoring 100 with Hinson only making 2 threes and Jeffress playing 17 minutes. I think that is telling. If I saw only the score I would think Hinson would have had an 8/17 three point night.

First 100 point game since they beat Marshall in 2016 112-106 and Artis had 30.
Not sure how Jeffress playing 17 mins affects any of the scoring. He’s not an offensive threat

I agree with your explanation. I always thought an assist is usually credited when a pass is made from one player to another resulting in a basket. More specifically, a direct pass resulting in that basket. If a player fumbles with the ball, reverses court, or some other delay between the pass and the basket it's probably not an assist. But then, the ole "judgement" call
seems to rule. Given what was going on last night, there was no way he wasn't going to get
credit for an assist. But hey, I'm glad he got it!

Not sure how Jeffress playing 17 mins affects any of the scoring. He’s not an offensive threat
Exactly. They put up 100 with Jeffress playing 17 mins…like in spite of his offense. Happy for him though that he made it 100. Looking ahead. JU put up 111 on their division 2 for, but only 25 percent from three. Mizz also put up 101 last night and gators in 90s. We will need some better D.

The only guy that concerned me was Jaland. And it was not because I am worried about him in the long term, but because I thou
Yeah, that's exactly how I saw Jaland. He was able to easily beat his man off the
dribble and he took what was there. I would have liked to see him settle the ball
a little more and set up his team mates. I got the feeling that he was thinking
shot first, pass second. He's a pg, and I'm sure Capel will address that with him.

????

HBCUs are consistently some of the worst programs in America. The MEAC and SWAC are the 2 worst conferences IMO. NC A&T and Hampton joined the CAA but they were picked 13th and 14th. For as good as last night felt, NC A&T is very likely a sub 300 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT