ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern going hard after Lyke

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Reports out there northwestern is going hard after Lyke for their next ad. Hopefully Pitt can serve up the funds to keep her.

How much does she like Chicago? She'd have a much bigger budget with low to reasonable expectations I would think.

Honestly, we'll be fine either way. She's a good AD, but she also benefits quite a bit from who she followed.
Agree. She's done a fine job but it wouldn't be world ending by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of what happens at Pitt will depend on where the school sees itself in ten years in this ever shifting conference nonsense.

Northwestern doesn’t care about sports. Their football team plays in a stadium that holds 12K people.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
My thinking is this will be resolved one way of the other very quickly There are too many prominent names and donors attached to the program that will go to bat for her. In the end Pitt will step up and offer her the contract she's looking for. You can take that to Vegas.

Now the question is, does she want to stay? Nobody knows how well she gets along with the new chancellor.

In my opinion, the Northwestern job has less pressure than Pitt:

1. They have more money and in a steady conference. She wouldn't have to deal with the pressure of realignment and the outcome concerning Pitt

2. She doesn't have to deal as much with NIL and trying to find opportunities for more income.

3. Raising money for Victory Heights is a full time job already.

The Pitt AD job has changed drastically since she first took the job. There is no question about it. Does she want to deal with the pressure?

We'll see..

Reactions: FireballZ
I don't think I would like Chicago....but if I were her I'd be gone faster than you can say "Conference expansion"

My thinking is this will be resolved one way of the other very quickly There are too many prominent names and donors attached to the program that will go to bat for her. In the end Pitt will step up and offer her the contract she's looking for. You can take that to Vegas.

Now the question is, does she want to stay? Nobody knows how well she gets along with the new chancellor.

1. They have more money and in a steady conference. She wouldn't have to deal with the pressure of realignment and the outcome concerning Pitt

2. She doesn't have to deal as much with NIL and trying to find opportunities for more income.

The Pitt AD job has changed drastically since she first took the job. There is no question about it. Does she want to deal with the pressure?

We'll see..
Not to mention dealing with SMF calling in 20 times a week with new ideas.

We'll see..
She also won't be held accountable for the ill-advised decision to give Narduzzi $6.5M a year and a 137 year extension.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
If NW wants her, she gone. Its a P2 job and Evanston is beautiful. That said, it doesn't matter. We need to hire an NIL-minded AD.

Last edited:
The benefits of Northwestern is a secure spot and $$$ in the Big 10 with a new football stadium on the way and literally zero pressure for any success in sports.

The downside, zero upside for the revenue sports programs.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
Northwestern has more resources and plays in a power 2 conference. They also aim to be a bigger player in athletics, whereas Pitt has been content doing just enough for decades. It's really a no brainer decision unless she really likes Pittsburgh or is holding out for a higher level p2 program.

What I can't wait for is the next AD to once again get schooled by the PSU AD. Every new AD comes in talking about getting PSU on the schedule. They openly talk about reaching out to them, only to have the PSU AD publicity reject Pitt. Somehow the PG knows all the details. Happens with each new AD and I am curious to find out if Pitt has learned yet.

Next man/woman up….Thanks Heather, don’t let the door hit you in the ass…….

OK, I should’ve been more clear. They currently play in a 12K capacity stadium.
which is a one year temporary stadium while their new $800 million stadium gets built. the original stadium had a capacity of 47000. And its actually 15000 not 12000.

Weren't there similar reports that Ohio State wanted her too? TBH I like Heather and hope she stays, but it comes down to what she prioritizes. She has amazing inroads here and probably could retire from Pitt a very rich and happy woman.

Northwestern has more resources and plays in a power 2 conference. They also aim to be a bigger player in athletics, whereas Pitt has been content doing just enough for decades. It's really a no brainer decision unless she really likes Pittsburgh or is holding out for a higher level p2 program.

What I can't wait for is the next AD to once again get schooled by the PSU AD. Every new AD comes in talking about getting PSU on the schedule. They openly talk about reaching out to them, only to have the PSU AD publicity reject Pitt. Somehow the PG knows all the details. Happens with each new AD and I am curious to find out if Pitt has learned yet.
So now Northwestern has more resources than Pitt? Good grief! Everytime some college goes after anyone at Pitt, people come on this board and bluster's that school has more resources. I mean NW? Some people on this board is just simple.

which is a one year temporary stadium while their new $800 million stadium gets built. the original stadium had a capacity of 47000. And its actually 15000 not 12000.
Thanks for keeping us honest and apprised of all things Big Pretend. Really appreciated. Hope you find better ways to utilize your excessive amount of free time in the future.

The downside, zero upside for the revenue sports programs.

That's what I don't get. Certainly there are plenty of jobs in the Big Ten that all things considered would be a step up from Pitt. But if someone has a drive to be the best, if someone wants to run a top level athletic department, Northwestern not only isn't on that list, it's not even close to the list.

So now Northwestern has more resources than Pitt? Good grief! Everytime some college goes after anyone at Pitt, people come on this board and bluster's that school has more resources. I mean NW? Some people on this board is just simple.

They have Big Ten conference revenue that tens of millions more than Pitt every year, and have contributions to build an $800 million stadium. They have more resources.

Reactions: buckage
Yes, if a fan likes watching his alma mater get their butts kicked nearly every week….and be a conference also ran into eternity.

They were 5-2 playing at home last season. Of course they aren't going to do great again the upper echelon programs, but I don't consider them a bottom feeder anymore. Only a matter of time before they surpass most programs not in the Big 2.

And they packed it so often that the new stadium's capacity is going to be 35,000.

They are, essentially, building a really nice MAC stadium.
Northwestern didn’t even care enough to put lights at Ryan Field. And it was filled with alumni from road teams living in the Chicago area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT