ADVERTISEMENT

Not a lot of talk about the midlands!?!?

BigNate

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2001
Pitt beat some decent teams to take the win. Clearly must have been on a real roll. Thoughts!?!?!

I'm not convinced that all those teams brought their full starting lineups. I'm pretty sure that only Penn and Pitt had their full 10 wrestlers amongst the major programs. It's still an impressive performance though. One champ, three finalists, two 3rd placers is a real good showing.

Reactions: jctrack
It for sure did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

Pitt wrestling as pretty clear favorite: 28-12 (upset Ls: Curry, Curry, Camacho, Camacho, Matthews, Kemerer, Kemerer, Mancini, Wentzel, Kernan, Nino, Slinger)
Toss-up matches: 3-2 (W: Cole, Cleary, Slinger, L: Micky, Kernan*)
Pitt wrestling as pretty clear dog: 0-6 (Mancini, Badgett x 2, Harvey x 2, Slinger)

There were positives, no doubt! I just don't see twelve upset losses and zero upset wins as a overwhelmingly rosy outcome.

*Kernan's backside opponent Turley was a AA last year, but counting this as toss-up because Turley is 1-3 with three bad losses and the win against HK.

Reactions: persp
It for sure did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

Pitt wrestling as pretty clear favorite: 28-12 (upset Ls: Curry, Curry, Camacho, Camacho, Matthews, Kemerer, Kemerer, Mancini, Wentzel, Kernan, Nino, Slinger)
Toss-up matches: 3-2 (W: Cole, Cleary, Slinger, L: Micky, Kernan*)
Pitt wrestling as pretty clear dog: 0-6 (Mancini, Badgett x 2, Harvey x 2, Slinger)

There were positives, no doubt! I just don't see twelve upset losses and zero upset wins as a overwhelmingly rosy outcome.

*Kernan's backside opponent Turley was a AA last year, but counting this as toss-up because Turley is 1-3 with three bad losses and the win against HK.
Powerade, on the other hand, tasted pretty sweet!

Who won hat tournament?

Briar Priest was the 1 seed at 138, lost to State College's Manville and took 3rd.

Jack Pletcher was the 8? seed at 152, went maybe 3-2? and DNP. Looked ok though.

160 had Grant MacKay (1) and Jared Keslar (7), MacKay looked good but MFFed out of the qtrs or semis. Keslar wrestled well and took fourth.

Mac Stout and Dayton Pitzer both won titles, Pitzer had a really good finals opponent (TJ Stewart, will be 197 for VT next few years).

I hate talking expectations before kids step on campus, but as of right now MacKay, Stout, and Pitzer all seem like guys who could be four-year starters. I would include two of our current redshirts in that group as well. I could see Priest starting three years and Pletcher/Keslar as guys who start as upperclassmen.

Pitt never did the graphic tweet for him. Not sure if he is officially signed or not. I am guessing here but perhaps his seasons results will dictate scholarship or not? Or waiting to see if he does get a big offer because he was always a breakout candidate that Powerade just proved

Reactions: _DBHoops
I meant on signing day sorry for the confusion. They announced 5 names (pitzer, stout, pletcher, priest and keslar)

I didn’t think much of him going into this season but he’s wrestling really tough, his only loss was to the champion from Wyoming seminary who’s ranked #7 nationally 7-5

Reactions: _DBHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT