ADVERTISEMENT

OC/WR Positions, Just some thoughts..

RoadToNumber10

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2012
Let me preface this - I do not have any information regarding the hires and these are strictly options that Pitt could pursue that I think would be a good fit. They are also not in any order and I like a few more than others, but I think this is a decent list of candidates.

OC Options:

Barry Lunney Jr, UTSA OC:
Scored almost 37 points per game at UTSA. They scored 37 against a power-5 opponent. UTSA wasn't very good on offense before he got there and he did an awesome job this season. Wins over Illinois, Memphis on their way to 12 wins. Not sure if he would come to Pitt or if there is interest but he's definitely done some nice things there. Probably

Anthony Tucker, Utah State OC: Tucker's been a solid OC for Utah State. I was really impressed with what they did to San Diego St this year in the MW championship game. Would be at the top of my list.

Kevin Johns, Memphis OC: I swear Kevin Johns is mentioned by at least one person when Narduzzi has had to hire an OC. He's been successful at Memphis and was pretty good when he was at Indiana.

Chris Beatty, WR Coach Chargers: The obvious option because of how good of a recruiter Beatty is and his obvious relationship with Narduzzi. The history of calling plays isn't there though and he's in the NFL now. Does he really want to come back to college football? Might want to add a QB coach if he's the hire and let him continue his work with the WRs.

Joe Brady, Former-OC LSU/Panthers: Brady was the Co-OC when LSU won a national championship and was a big reason for their red zone success as he called a lot of the RZ plays. He mixed some NFL stuff with the College RPO game and they had a ton of success. He did not have the same success with the Panthers but is that because they had no quarterback and their best player was constantly hurt? I think he would be a good option.

Andrew Sowder, OC Kent State: Obviously Sowder has had success at Kent and they've won games. I'm not sure he's the style of offense that Narduzzi would traditionally use but they give teams problems.

Brent Dearmon, OC, Midd Tenn St: Had success at Kansas when he took over as the OC but things kind of fizzled because they didn't really have the talent to compete there. Then he resigned and went to MTSU and has had success. They just beat Toledo in a bowl game. I like what he does offensively - coached QB's before and I think he would be a good fit.

There are a few others but I don't think they are a fit and/or would come to Pitt.

WR Options:

Darrin Chiaverini, Former OC/WR Colorado:
He was their lead recruiter for a few years, was both an OC/co-OC. Probably would have ended up on Tucker's staff but he was loyal to Colorado - even thought he might get the HC job but that obviously didn't happen. Don't think it went extremely well the last two years as the OC but it would be a good WR hire.

Kerry Dixon, GT WR: Top recruiter for GT and he brings in a lot of their top players. Was at Florida for awhile and has good connections from his time as a RB/WR coach at 3 different Florida schools. Also, Collins is probably on a short leash and I would love to see Narduzzi poach a guy from him.

Andre Coleman, Former Texas WR: Coleman was on Herman's staff and then retained by Sark. He was obviously let go and they replaced him with Marion but Coleman was a good recruiter (recruited Xavier Worthy) and is from PA and played for the Steelers at one point.

There are other options out there but these are 3 guys that have pretty good records when it comes to recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News