ADVERTISEMENT

Odds for Pitt vs Nebraska

we are going to beat Nebraska. My strong indicator is that a nebraska defensive back just transfered to pitt for his final year of playing. the connection is obvious. He is leaving to join a winning institution.

This is the best I could come up with along with my gut feeling.

I think Smrek is overrated. She is 6’9 and therefore pretty much unstoppable — if she gets a perfect set. If she has to move, it’s a different story. She also only can play a few points before she needs a rest. Franklin is the key to Wisconsin. We beat them last year in Wisconsin.

I think Smrek is overrated. She is 6’9 and therefore pretty much unstoppable — if she gets a perfect set. If she has to move, it’s a different story. She also only can play a few points before she needs a rest. Franklin is the key to Wisconsin. We beat them last year in Wisconsin.
Pitt isn't a team that is overly dependent on their OH's to score so it's not like she's going to help shut down the offense. Smrek is just kind of slow and not exactly a dominant hitter. I wouldn't say she's useless but her biggest contribution has been shutting down B1G teams that don't have balanced attacks. Look what PSU did against them and they were one of the most one-dimensional offenses in the B1G.

I have no idea how you bet on VB so being +1.5 doesn't really make sense to me. Please explain.

I think Pitt can bottle up Nebraska defensively if the back row can make some plays. Both teams are good at blocking so it will come down to passing out of the back row and who can make the best plays out of system. That said, it all starts with the in-system attacks and if Fairbanks runs the offense the way she can, Pitt may have a good night.

One area where Pitt holds a bit of an advantage may be with experience. Nebraska is actually younger than Pitt and doesn't really play any seniors.

I have no idea how you bet on VB so being +1.5 doesn't really make sense to me. Please explain.

I think Pitt can bottle up Nebraska defensively if the back row can make some plays. Both teams are good at blocking so it will come down to passing out of the back row and who can make the best plays out of system. That said, it all starts with the in-system attacks and if Fairbanks runs the offense the way she can, Pitt may have a good night.

One area where Pitt holds a bit of an advantage may be with experience. Nebraska is actually younger than Pitt and doesn't really play any seniors.
Maybe its how many sets they win by? I'm also unsure

Maybe its how many sets they win by? I'm also unsure
Yea I've never bet on volleyball but I assume +1.5 means Pitt is receiving 1.5 sets. So if we lose in 5, a Pitt bettor would win since it was 3-2, +1.5 gives us 3.5. If we lose in 4 the Pitt bettor would lose

Don’t really know either - assume it’s sets won.

So at +1.5 , you win if PItt loses 3-2 or wins the match . Lose if PItt loses 3-1 or 3-0.

Kind of line the run line in baseball.

Reactions: pittdan77
Sure but 6'9 is still 6'9. You can't hit an out of system ball over her. Passing needs to be perfect so you can run your offense around her. As we saw earlier this year, the OHs for Oregon are solid players and they could do nothing against the Wisconsin block. She also had 18 kills in their sweep against Nebraska, so I can't imagine they were all perfect sets.

Reactions: Chaos
Sure but 6'9 is still 6'9. You can't hit an out of system ball over her. Passing needs to be perfect so you can run your offense around her. As we saw earlier this year, the OHs for Oregon are solid players and they could do nothing against the Wisconsin block. She also had 18 kills in their sweep against Nebraska, so I can't imagine they were all perfect sets.
Pitt beat them last year because Buzzerio had 18 kills. Nwokolo had 12. You simply just go away from her and keep them out of system because opposites just don't get many quality chances when you do that.

As usual a good post by Mike. Franklin’s game kills me. She’s like a pitcher that can throw it 100 mph but has can throw a great curveball for strikes. She is just as dynamic of an athlete as the other headliners in the final four, but no one else uses crappy blocks better. No one uses as many rolls and tips. I can’t stand how smart she is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT