ADVERTISEMENT

Odds Pitt is ranked after this week? Who to cheer for?

Dec 23, 2004
There's no way of knowing exactly where our Panthers sit in the College Football Playoff rankings, but we entered the week at #31 in the AP and #33 in the Coaches' Poll. Reasonable to assume we're in the same general range in the CFP standings.

Given that we're playing a lousy Syracuse team this week, we're unlikely to leapfrog teams just based on the outcome of our game. We need 6-8 teams in front of us to drop their contests. We've already had highly improbable good luck with Friday games going in our favor. Based on point spreads, there was less than a 1% chance (0.66% to be exact) that NC State, Washington, Iowa, Memphis, and Air Force would all win their games -- thankfully, that all happened. Add the Missouri-Arkansas game in and it's an astounding 0.17% likelihood that the team we need wins each of those games.

So, when we include Thursday's LSU-A&M game, it's reasonable to believe we've already jumped 6 spots -- naturally, this assumes we win on Saturday.

Here's the full run-down of games that are of interest to us. We probably need 2 or 3 of the remaining games to go our way to be confident we'll be ranked this week.

Team we want to win in green.

------ To be played: ------

Rice at Stanford
Betting line suggest there's literally zero chance this happens. Stanford would surely get leapfrogged if it did, though. I'm cheering for the Rice... Uncle Ben's? Whatever the hell their mascot is, I'm behind it.

Florida at Florida State
See USC and Auburn. Unless this one's ugly, I doubt the loser drops 10+ spots, which is what we'd need. Root for a blowout either way, ideally with a key injury or two (I hate myself for even typing it). 73% odds that the 'Noles roll.

------ Games that have already played: ------

LSU at Texas A&M -- Result: LSU, +1 spot
A five-loss LSU would have definitely dropped below Pitt. Unfortunately, LSU won this one. I'm hopeful that A&M drops far enough for us to climb a position -- they've lost 3 of their last 4 and 4 of their last 6. Hard to justify A&M outranking Pitt.

Houston at Memphis -- Result: Memphis, +1 spot
Houston should drop from #20 to out of the rankings. No chance a 4-loss Memphis leaps us. Great result that had only a 36.9% chance of occurring based on the betting line.

NC State at UNC -- Result: NC State, +1 spot
The upset of the day. The Wolfpack had a 20.1% chance of winning this one based on the betting line. They did us a solid by knocking UNC down a peg. Bad loss for the Tarheels, and we definitely jump a position as a result.

Nebraska at Iowa -- Result: Iowa, +1 spot
There's a certain amount of risk in the outcome of this game -- pollsters could be enamored with Iowa's past two weeks and use this win to have them jump Pitt. We're both 4 loss teams with top-5 wins. Our PSU win (common opponent they lost to) is better than their Nebraska win, and we don't have the bad losses they do. Blind resume, we're better. Other element of risk here is that Nebraska doesn't drop 9+ spots. They don't have any great wins. I think they take a tumble. There's a chance we're screwed here and this actually ends up a -1 spot, though. Note, there was a 53.4% chance of Iowa winning this game.

Washington at Washington State -- Result: Washington, +1 spot
A loss by the #23 team in the CFP rankings means we should definitely jump them, even with that loss coming at the hands of a top-5 team. This game had a 66.4.% chance of ending in our favor.

Boise State at Air Force -- Result: Air Force, +1 spot
Boise should plummet from #19. Easy to see us passing them. Again, some risk that a 9-3 Air Force team gets too much credit for this win and vaults us. Counting on the CFP committee to be smarter than to lean heavily on this one game. Air Force had the second biggest upset of the day, with only a 25% chance of victory based on the spread.

Missouri at Arkansas -- Result: Missouri, +.5 spot
An under the radar game, since neither team is ranked. Arkansas was a vote siphon, though -- potentially keeping us off people's ballots. They're at 32 in both the AP and Coaches' poll. Ahead of us in one, behind in the other. Think of this as a half a spot gain with Mizzou pulling out the upset win (26.2% chance of winning).

Toledo at Western Michigan -- Result: Western Michigan, no improvement
They can't all break our way. The betting line suggested only a 29.7% chance Toledo would win. Amazingly, this was the only Friday game that didn't end up in our favor.

UCF at South Florida -- Result: South Florida, no improvement
South Florida is just ahead of us in the AP and Coaches' polls. I'm assuming they're also outpacing us in the hypothetical CFP also receiving votes section. UCF could be our knight in shining armor (I hate myself for making that pun) by knocking off the Bulls. Betting line suggest only a 22.6% chance it happens.

Virginia at Virginia Tech -- Result: VT, no improvement
VT isn't ranked, but they're ahead of us in the ARV and have the head to head win. There's a 3.8% chance UVA pulls this out. Chokies, I'ma need you to lay down on this one.

Kentucky at Louisville -- Result, KENTUCKY?! still likely no improvement
Following their collapse at Houston with an improbable (as in, betting line says 0%) loss to a 26.5 point dog? Might just be enough to drop Louisville 14+ spots. Not really sure why I even put this on here.

Navy at SMU -- Result: Navy, no improvement
Navy's currently ranked #25. We leap them if they lose. No risk a 6-loss SMU team takes votes from us. SMU has a 29.7% chance at winning (based on the betting line).

Minnesota at Wisconsin -- Result: Wisconsin, +.5 position
Coach Chryst can do us a favor and mumble past the Gophers, eliminating a vote siphon. Betting line says 85.1% chance this goes our way.

WVU at Iowa State -- Result: WVU, no improvement
No one needs to be told to root against WVU. A loss to 3-8 Iowa State is likely enough to get them to tumble from #18 to oblivion. Go get it, Cyclones. 32.3% chance couches in Morgantown burn.

Notre Dame at USC -- Result: USC, no improvement
This one's a reach (so is the next one), but I'm throwing it in anyway. Is losing to a 7-loss Notre Dame bad enough to cost USC 12 spots in the polls? Highly doubt it, but at least it makes them potentially passable after the bowl games. Serious long shot. 8.6% chance ND wins.

Auburn at Alabama -- Result: Alabama, still likely no improvement
A 4-loss Auburn team will still likely be ranked around #20. Hopefully they get blown out and drop heavily as a result. More realistically, same deal as USC -- this would just make them passable after bowl season. Added bonus, this result helps keep PSU out of the playoff picture. 93.7% chance Alabama wins.

Duke at Miami -- Result: Miami, no improvement
Duke only has a 12.6% chance of winning this game, and it's not hugely important -- we're already ahead of Miami in both the AP and Coaches' Poll... this is just an insurance game to keep someone from siphoning votes from us.

Tennessee at Vanderbilt -- Result: Vanderbilt, +1 position
Only a 27% chance that Vandy defeats in-state foe Tennessee. It would probably be a bad enough loss to drop them 8+ spots. Go Commodores.

Utah at Colorado -- Result: Colorado, +1 position
Utah's ranked #22. A loss almost assuredly drops them out of the top 25. Betting line says a 77.4% chance the Buffaloes stampede. Definite +1 for us if that happens.

Last edited:
There's no way of knowing exactly where our Panthers sit in the College Football Playoff rankings, but we entered the week at #31 in the AP and #33 in the Coaches' Poll. Reasonable to assume we're in the same general range in the CFP standings.

Given that we're playing a lousy Syracuse team this week, we're unlikely to leapfrog teams just based on the outcome of our game. We need 6-8 teams in front of us to drop their contests. We've already had highly improbable good luck with Friday games going in our favor. Based on point spreads, there was less than a 1% chance (0.66% to be exact) that NC State, Washington, Iowa, Memphis, and Air Force would all win their games -- thankfully, that all happened. Add the Missouri-Arkansas game in and it's an astounding 0.17% likelihood that the team we need wins each of those games.

So, when we include Thursday's LSU-A&M game, it's reasonable to believe we've already jumped 6 spots -- naturally, this assumes we win on Saturday.

Here's the full run-down of games that are of interest to us. We probably need 2 or 3 of the remaining games to go our way to be confident we'll be ranked this week.

UCF at South Florida
South Florida is just ahead of us in the AP and Coaches' polls. I'm assuming they're also outpacing us in the hypothetical CFP also receiving votes section. UCF could be our knight in shining armor (I hate myself for making that pun) by knocking off the Bulls. Betting line suggest only a 22.6% chance it happens.

Virginia at Virginia Tech
VT isn't ranked, but they're ahead of us in the ARV and have the head to head win. There's a 3.8% chance UVA pulls this out. Chokies, I'ma need you to lay down on this one.

Kentucky at Louisville
Following their collapse at Houston with an improbable (as in, betting line says 0%) loss to a 26.5 point dog? Might just be enough to drop Louisville 14+ spots. Not really sure why I even put this on here.

Navy at SMU
Navy's currently ranked #25. We leap them if they lose. No risk a 6-loss SMU team takes votes from us. SMU has a 29.7% chance at winning (based on the betting line).

Minnesota at Wisconsin
Coach Chryst can do us a favor and mumble past the Gophers, eliminating a vote siphon. Betting line says 85.1% chance this goes our way.

WVU at Iowa State
No one needs to be told to root against WVU. A loss to 3-8 Iowa State is likely enough to get them to tumble from #18 to oblivion. Go get it, Cyclones. 32.3% chance couches in Morgantown burn.

Notre Dame at USC
This one's a reach (so is the next one), but I'm throwing it in anyway. Is losing to a 7-loss Notre Dame bad enough to cost USC 12 spots in the polls? Highly doubt it, but at least it makes them potentially passable after the bowl games. Serious long shot. 8.6% chance ND wins.

Auburn at Alabama
A 4-loss Auburn team will still likely be ranked around #20. Hopefully they get blown out and drop heavily as a result. More realistically, same deal as USC -- this would just make them passable after bowl season. Added bonus, this result helps keep PSU out of the playoff picture. 93.7% chance Alabama wins.

Duke at Miami
Duke only has a 12.6% chance of winning this game, and it's not hugely important -- we're already ahead of Miami in both the AP and Coaches' Poll... this is just an insurance game to keep someone from siphoning votes from us.

Tennessee at Vanderbilt
Only a 27% chance that Vandy defeats in-state foe Tennessee. It would probably be a bad enough loss to drop them 8+ spots. Go Commodores.

Utah at Colorado
Utah's ranked #22. A loss almost assuredly drops them out of the top 25. Betting line says a 77.4% chance the Buffaloes stampede. Definite +1 for us if that happens.

Rice at Stanford
Betting line suggest there's literally zero chance this happens. Stanford would surely get leapfrogged if it did, though. I'm cheering for the Rice... Uncle Ben's? Whatever the hell their mascot is, I'm behind it.

Florida at Florida State
See USC and Auburn. Unless this one's ugly, I doubt the loser drops 10+ spots, which is what we'd need. Root for a blowout either way, ideally with a key injury or two (I hate myself for even typing it). 73% odds that the 'Noles roll.

A five-loss LSU would have definitely dropped below Pitt. Unfortunately, LSU won this one. I'm hopeful that A&M drops far enough for us to climb a position -- they've lost 3 of their last 4 and 4 of their last 6. Hard to justify A&M outranking Pitt.

Houston should drop from #20 to out of the rankings. No chance a 4-loss Memphis leaps us. Great result that had only a 36.9% chance of occurring based on the betting line.

The upset of the day. The Wolfpack had a 20.1% chance of winning this one based on the betting line. They did us a solid by knocking UNC down a peg. Bad loss for the Tarheels, and we definitely jump a position as a result.

There's a certain amount of risk in the outcome of this game -- pollsters could be enamored with Iowa's past two weeks and use this win to have them jump Pitt. We're both 4 loss teams with top-5 wins. Our PSU win (common opponent they lost to) is better than their Nebraska win, and we don't have the bad losses they do. Blind resume, we're better. Other element of risk here is that Nebraska doesn't drop 9+ spots. They don't have any great wins. I think they take a tumble. There's a chance we're screwed here and this actually ends up a -1 spot, though. Note, there was a 53.4% chance of Iowa winning this game.

A loss by the #23 team in the CFP rankings means we should definitely jump them, even with that loss coming at the hands of a top-5 team. This game had a 66.4.% chance of ending in our favor.

Boise should plummet from #19. Easy to see us passing them. Again, some risk that a 9-3 Air Force team gets too much credit for this win and vaults us. Counting on the CFP committee to be smarter than to lean heavily on this one game. Air Force had the second biggest upset of the day, with only a 25% chance of victory based on the spread.

An under the radar game, since neither team is ranked. Arkansas was a vote siphon, though -- potentially keeping us off people's ballots. They're at 32 in both the AP and Coaches' poll. Ahead of us in one, behind in the other. Think of this as a half a spot gain with Mizzou pulling out the upset win (26.2% chance of winning).

They can't all break our way. The betting line suggested only a 29.7% chance Toledo would win. Amazingly, this was the only Friday game that didn't end up in our favor.

Stache ... I'm impressed with your effort, but you have way too much time on your hands. Still a lot of football left to be played and I'm not sure how concerned the committee will be once it gets beyond the top 6 or so.

Guilty re: time on my hands. Trying to get three kids to fall asleep at Grandma's house with very little else to do. Got curious about the chances we end up ranked with a win, fell deep down the rabbit hole.

As for the CFP committee, I'm sure they give much greater scrutiny at the top than the bottom. Still, rankings matter in terms of fan / recruit perception and media coverage. The sooner they slap a number in front of our team name, the better. Hopefully, it's this week.

Guilty re: time on my hands. Trying to get three kids to fall asleep at Grandma's house with very little else to do. Got curious about the chances we end up ranked with a win, fell deep down the rabbit hole.

As for the CFP committee, I'm sure they give much greater scrutiny at the top than the bottom. Still, rankings matter in terms of fan / recruit perception and media coverage. The sooner they slap a number in front of our team name, the better. Hopefully, it's this week.

Gotta take care of business first, then see where the chips fall. Thst goes for a whole lot of teams this weekend.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
We would be 8-4 and have 2 wins over the Top 7. Honestly, Pitt should probably be 18th or 19th with that resume but the CFP folks wont look hard enough at Pitt's resume since its kinda meaningless. But, is it? If its OKST as the B12 champ vs Wis or PSU for the last bid.....and OKST has a win over a Top 20 Pitt team, that should matter.

With all due respect these rankings are absolutely meaningless, and will be obsolete within the next decade.

Sportswriters are absolute squares, their job is to report on the last thing they saw, which doesn't matter one iota in the big picture of where teams stand overall. Writers opinions are worse than that of the average fan.

Coaches input is even worse actually. They are so busy with their own teams literally 24 hours a day that they have no clue on the relative strengths of other teams except for their own and the teams that they complete against. An eastern coach has no clue how good west coast teams are and vice versa, none at all.

In the future any of these type "polls" will be done by bookmakers, most of whom aren't much more capable than knowledgable fans, but still an improvement over writers and coaches.

Gotta take care of business first, then see where the chips fall. Thst goes for a whole lot of teams this weekend.
I like the info Stache put up, but I agree with you, Cuse today, Bowl game Tomorrow, and let the Rankings take care of themselves. It would be nice to see PITT, PSU, & WVU be in the top 25, PSU & WVU in it, PITT is near it, but 2 more Wins are more important and then onto the NCS Playoffs, then 2017 too.

I want Clemson to win it all, but Bama is so much better this year than everybody else. Bama is the challenge for everyone chasing Saban's Finest Coaching!

What does it matter if Pitt squeezed into a #25 ranking?
I think it matters a lot, it shows the Program is growing. Under Harris, Wannstedt, and Chryst many times PITT could have made the Top 25 but came up short because of 2 Losses they should have won, and then 1 Big Win no one expected, it is hard to overcome that hump!

Also under Harris I remember in 2000 winning 5 straight then dropped close losses to VT & UNC then lost Bowl Game by few? In 2001 1-5, lost 5 straight, then won 6 Straight, but missed Rankings. In 2002 went 9-4 with wins and losses mixed in between, but ended up 18th and 19th in the Top 25 polls. 2003 much of the same but lost the Bowl game and no Top 25. In 2004, won & Tied BEC and got blown away by Urban Meyers Utah but ended up 25 in AP, again just kept missing the Top 25?

Wannstedt comes took 3 years to go 9-4 but blew the Oregon State Bowl Game 0-3 (Ugly Coaching By DW), and no Top 25 Ranking. In 2009 finally ended up Top 15 Ranking in both Polls. Wannstedt kept the Harris tradition, losing to some Programs he should have won by 2 and then winning 1 game or 2 no one expected.

Graham was a mess as he is now at ASU and just lost to UA CoachRod?

Chryst was learning to be a Head Coach and often caused his Teams to lose by poor Special Teams and left 19-20,

Now Narduzzi loss close Iowa and UNC, the last 2 Miami close loss, but Navy Blow Out last year and No Ranking, and close losses this year has kept out of the Rankings again, have a chance to finish near Top 25 or in it depending today and Bowl Game Tomorrow.

Most of the time it is when a team loses like PSU lost early to Pitt and Michigan, and if a team runs off 5 to 7 wins, it gets them in the Top 25, like one seeing WVU & PSU in the Top 25 with just 2 losses? Lose to Cuse, Pitt Quest for Top 25 is over, lose the Bowl Game gone with the Wins again! Win 5 Straight and beat a good team in the Polls & Bowl, might make it and I'll take it? Still, high on coaching even if we lose again, but that is just me!

Since 2000, WVU has been Ranked 8 Times in the Top 25 including this year so far, and 19 times in WVU Football history, 20 if one includes this year? Holgrosen has been Ranked 1 Time in 2011 (17AP-18CP), and now so far this year at 19!

Penn State since 2000, has been Ranked 6 Times and this would make 7 this year. They have been Ranked 45 times but as known now lacked Athletic Integrity during the PSU Paterno Era!

Franklin has been Ranked 2 Times at Vandy in 2012 (23AP-20CP) and 2013 (24AP-23CP) and now in the Top Ten at PSU.

Pitt has been coming up short of the Top 25 since 2000 and made it a few (3) times only over 16 years, maybe we can make it at 9-4? Pitt was Ranked 20 Times in Top 25 with Athletic Integrity. Don't forget the Polls did not start until 1936?

I prefer to make the Top 25 every Year than not do it. Pitt has not seen it since 2009. Pederson Poison ended Nebraska Top 25 Streak in 2002 and 2004 until they fired him, and it took Nebraska another 4 years to get over Pederson's Top 25 Absence until 2009. Same with Pitt, Wannstedt had Pitt Ranked in Top 25 once, but still getting Pederson Poison out of Pitt System. It has just been 2 years?

Being Ranked is good selling point to Recruits! It takes 10 years of Top 25 Winning to build a Program and finding a Coach to do it and stay at Pitt has been the issue over decades.

Last edited:

UCF at South Florida

Virginia at Virginia Tech

Kentucky at Louisville

Navy at SMU

Minnesota at Wisconsin

WVU at Iowa State

Notre Dame at USC

Auburn at Alabama

Duke at Miami

Tennessee at Vanderbilt

Utah at Colorado

Rice at Stanford

Florida at Florida State

Man great stuff.

Regarding Iowa - Nebraska... I'm sure most people would put Iowa ahead of us. Maybe not fair since Pitt has the better resume, but alas, they're Big Ten.

Got to hear all the Nitters raving after they dominated Nebraska. That win against Iowa looks better now.

-I don't know if we can sneak into the Top 15 after bowl season, but we may have a chance. 7 went down yesterday , and another 9 could go down today. Regardless of rankings being unfair, its about perception and momentum. Winning the last 4 games of the season, a road win at Clemson and bowl win with a Top 15-25 final ranking, not only helps recruiting and improves our status and not only shows upward movement by Pitt, but also gives major momentum going into next year to open as a top 15-25 preseason team. Despite other opinions, I prefer a layup bowl game to secure 9 wins and blow the team out with ease. Maryland, Arizona State, Nebraksa, West Virginia, any of these will do since none of them are good this year. Killing blueblood Nebraska would be great, they are incredibly overrated.

It would be great to finish the season in the top 25 and we do have a realistic shot at a 9-4 record and finishing around #20. However, I can't help thinking about what could have been had we held on to the North Carolina game and somehow pulled off a win aainst OK St. That would be three wins against top 10 teams and a 10-2 record with the tough schedule we had. Maybe a ranking at or around #10.

This was a great year for our Panthers and the offense was really fun to watch! But, Oh what could have been.......

I figured the "rankings don't matter" crowd would show up. Top 25 teams get an inordinately greater amount of coverage in national media. A ranking shows kids that the program is on the right track -- it's appealing to recruits. Ending the year with a top 15 ranking means we'd have a realistic shot at the playoffs next year if we put together a magical year. Not sure how anyone could think that this stuff isn't important.

As good as Friday was for us, Saturday afternoon's games were equally bad. Looks like we've only picked up an additional half a position (unless Louisville takes a monster tumble due to their loss). Hopefully the dominance of our offense was enough to get some attention and keep us ahead of Iowa (and skip a falling Nebraska), and jump South Florida.

If Utah loses tonight to Colorado, we're probably in at 24 or 25. Outside chance we could be as high as 20.

As good as Friday was for us, Saturday afternoon's games were equally bad. Looks like we've only picked up an additional half a position (unless Louisville takes a monster tumble due to their loss). Hopefully the dominance of our offense was enough to get some attention and keep us ahead of Iowa (and skip a falling Nebraska), and jump South Florida.

If Utah loses tonight to Colorado, we're probably in at 24 or 25. Outside chance we could be as high as 20.

-Why? Minnesota got blown out, Auburn got blown out, Florida is in the process of getting blown out, Louisville lost, Utah is losing, plenty of teams losing again.

-Why? Minnesota got blown out, Auburn got blown out, Florida is in the process of getting blown out, Louisville lost, Utah is losing, plenty of teams losing again.

Just watch: Auburn, Louisville and the loser of FSU/Florida may not drop far enough for us to jump them. Nebraska may even stay ranked and Iowa might jump us based on beating an overrated Nebraska.

Not saying it's deserved. Just that it's likely some combination of those things occur, putting us at the tail end of the top 25. I'd love to be wrong -- if that's the case, we could enter at 20, maybe even 19. Just not expecting it.

Just watch: Auburn, Louisville and the loser of FSU/Florida may not drop far enough for us to jump them. Nebraska may even stay ranked and Iowa might jump us based on beating an overrated Nebraska.

Not saying it's deserved. Just that it's likely some combination of those things occur, putting us at the tail end of the top 25. I'd love to be wrong -- if that's the case, we could enter at 20, maybe even 19. Just not expecting it.

-100% lock we finish ranked with a bowl win, and will push Top 15ish with a bowl win.

Pitt is one of the top 25 teams. If the won 70-34 today, that would have helped their cause more than 76-61, but either way, with all of the top 25 teams losing, they should have a shot.

Pitt is one of the top 25 teams. If the won 70-34 today, that would have helped their cause more than 76-61, but either way, with all of the top 25 teams losing, they should have a shot.
NOPE no way.

NOPE no way.

Maybe you don't know how this works. When teams toward the bottom of the top 25 lose, they tend to drop out of the top rankings. They do that because other teams replace them. Complicated, I know.

We're basically a lock to be ranked in the AP poll. Highly likely we're ranked in the Coaches poll AND the CFP based on this weekend's results. Especially if Colorado and Vanderbilt hold on to their current margins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT