ADVERTISEMENT

% of Fans Who Attended the School They Root For!

As with most tweet like this it is very generic and lacks research but for Pitt, WV and Enabler U this may actually be true!

I think they shortchanged Pitt. I’d expect it to be essentially 100%. I honestly don’t believe I’ve met an adult who was a Pitt fan (as their primary sports program being a fan, not the “I’m from Pgh so I root for them if they’re on” kind of wishy washy type) who wasn't a Pitt alum. Never once in my 50ish years have I met one. And whenever I see a kid in Pitt gear I automatically assume his Pitt alum parent bought and forced him to wear it.

I’d expect the same of some of the others here as well. Cincinnati ain’t getting any non Cincy alum fans.

I think they shortchanged Pitt. I’d expect it to be essentially 100%. I honestly don’t believe I’ve met an adult who was a Pitt fan (as their primary sports program being a fan, not the “I’m from Pgh so I root for them if they’re on” kind of wishy washy type) who wasn't a Pitt alum. Never once in my 50ish years have I met one. And whenever I see a kid in Pitt gear I automatically assume his Pitt alum parent bought and forced him to wear it.

I’d expect the same of some of the others here as well. Cincinnati ain’t getting any non Cincy alum fans.
I know Pitt fans that did not attend Pitt. Obviously they are sports fans in the Pgh area! You also have spouses and children of Pitt fans that attend games that did not go to Pitt.

Let me introduce you to one. 😎

...and also not from Pittsburgh.

This says alot. I am not saying it is completely accurate, at least number wise. But it does explain alot. The urban schools mostly rely on alumni and the larger state schools are regional and contain many non college grads and grads of every small school in the state. I know so many Ohioans who have gone to so many other colleges (Baldwin Wallace, CMU, even Bowling Green) who are avid Ohio State fans. All those Nitter and Hoopies didn't exactly go to school there.

Our group of 15 or so season ticket holders has 2 alums.

Outside of the obvious huge names where they have all sorts of bandwagon fans with no school affiliation, and small schools that have a ton of schools near them (I doubt there are too many non-alumni Wake Forest fans, for instance) most schools are probably pretty close. A lot of non alumni go to Pitt games. Most of the people I tailgate with didn't go to Pitt.

Most of the people I tailgate with didn't go to Pitt.
Our tailgates in the late Ought years were pretty substantial so we did have some folks who came to those who weren’t alums. They heard from word of mouth from some of our crew about the good party so they came along. Some even occasionally bought tickets and went in to the games. One guy even got season tix with us for a couple years (but he was primarily off all things a PSU fan!). So I wouldn’t have called them “Pitt fans” either and indeed, some of them would adamantly argue against it if they were called such. They didn’t see any hypocrisy for coming to the tailgate but not liking the program. I suppose there are Steelers tailgate fans who are the same. As one of my buddies say, the scientific term for those individuals is “alcoholics”. 😄

As unscientific this grid is I think it fairly accurate for Pitt, WV and Enabler U. Other schools I have no idea!

I don't even think it's close. We are in one of the more populated areas for a P5 university, and we have one of the smaller enrollments. That's a formula that I would think would attract a lot of non-alum. There's 0% chance that anything close to 90% of Pitt fans actually went to Pitt.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops

Been a Pitt fan since Jimmy Joe Robinson was carrying a football for the Panthers during the second half of the 1940’s. Not a Pitt grad, season tickets many years and a grad from a college on the West Coast. Dad was a Pitt fan and I just followed along thru the good and the bad and I would not have it any other way. H2P!

I have friend who graduated PSU main campus and became a Pitt season ticket holder for football and basketball. I think he has since dumped basketball. But his logic was he lives in Pgh not State College so he wanted to root for a team where he could actually attend games.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I don't even think it's close. We are in one of the more populated areas for a P5 university, and we have one of the smaller enrollments. That's a formula that I would think would attract a lot of non-alum. There's 0% chance that anything close to 90% of Pitt fans actually went to Pitt.
Pitt has a huge alumni.....upwards of 325K. I think we are tiered as one of the highest % of fans being alums imo. I believe it is way below 90% but among schools we are high.

I have friend who graduated PSU main campus and became a Pitt season ticket holder for football and basketball. I think he has since dumped basketball. But his logic was he lives in Pgh not State College so he wanted to root for a team where he could actually attend games.
And an honorable administration!

I fall into that category. Grew up in rural Western PA and have been a Pitt fan since watching Kevin Barlow drop 4 TDs on the Hoopies when I was a kid. Went to PSU for undergrad (go ahead and warm your tar and feathers up) but was openly a Pitt fan all through college. My roommates weren't exactly what I would describe as understanding of my fandom lol.

I’m one. As is my brother. My mom and dad were born and raised in the city of Pittsburgh and met at Pitt. I’ve never lived in the state of PA, lived in Michigan since 5th grade and went to college in Michigan. But being a Pitt fan was not a matter of free choice in my household.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
I fall into that category. Grew up in rural Western PA and have been a Pitt fan since watching Kevin Barlow drop 4 TDs on the Hoopies when I was a kid. Went to PSU for undergrad (go ahead and warm your tar and feathers up) but was openly a Pitt fan all through college. My roommates weren't exactly what I would describe as understanding of my fandom lol.
I had a roommate at Pitt who was and still is a huge Ped Stater. It goes both ways.

just like Chris Mueller on the Fan is a Nitter but has always been more of a Pitt fan.

we forgive you.

when I was a kid, we had Pitt-Penn St day every year on the Friday before the game. On that day the whole school wore the colors of their team. I had a teacher whose daughter was a ckassmate of mine and their entire family were the biggest Nitters I ever knew. Always were proudly decked out in their PSU gear. Well the daughter wanted to be a dentist, so guess where she ended up going to college? It was a no brainer. She went to Pitt.

I had a roommate at Pitt who was and still is a huge Ped Stater. It goes both ways.

just like Chris Mueller on the Fan is a Nitter but has always been more of a Pitt fan.

we forgive you.

when I was a kid, we had Pitt-Penn St day every year on the Friday before the game. On that day the whole school wore the colors of their team. I had a teacher whose daughter was a ckassmate of mine and their entire family were the biggest Nitters I ever knew. Always were proudly decked out in their PSU gear. Well the daughter wanted to be a dentist, so guess where she ended up going to college? It was a no brainer. She went to Pitt.
If you want to treat people go to Pitt, if you want to treat animals go to Enabler U

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

My dad grew up in western PA. Neither he nor anyone in his family went to Pitt but he’s a huge fan.

Reactions: PittPharm2002

There are plenty on this forum
They went to other smaller schools but root for pitt

Reactions: BreakingPitt
I grew up a Pitt fan in the Altoona area. My parents were not Pitt alumni, but weren't necessarily Penn State fans; more neutral. I became a Pitt fan because it made sense to be a fan of all Pittsburgh teams. I went to Pitt because I was first a fan of Pitt, not the other way around.

There were plenty of Pitt fans in the Altoona area. Completely outnumbered, but there are many there, and almost none are alumni. Based on my experience, the 90% number is absolutely absurd.

Similar experience. Got a degree from PSU and roomed with another Pitt fan. Dark times for Pitt but we stood by them.

Reactions: steelcityman
Didn't have the grades . Or money . But my son is a proud Pitt grad ..
Also my current Boss is a Pitt alum.... So I got that going for me . Which is nice ... Forgot to add Dr. Ric Leeson was my childhood dentist !

H2P !!!

Last edited:
I grew up in PSU country (York) but never rooted for them. But I never rooted for Pitt until matriculating there in 1970. Early Pitt football memories were of course, 36-35, and unfortunately the loss of pre-season All America LB Ralph Cindrich to a knee injury

Reactions: mike 301

I’m one. WVU grad to boot. Loved Pitt all my life. Didn’t get into Pitt Engineering school. Got into WVU. Graduated in EE and haven’t been back.

Pitt season ticket holder since I graduated 15 years ago.

While I appreciate what the degree has done for my career, I’m still one of the biggest Pitt fans.

I was brave enough to wear Pitt stuff in Morgantown for 4 years. Glad I was in shape. Also got taught how to drink down there. That was a plus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT