SS: Dennis Briggs, Phil Campbell, Henry Miller

FS: Jay Stocker or Bricen Garner

CB: Dane Jackson or Damarri Mathis

SPECIAL TEAMS

P: Ryan Winslow

K: Alex Kessman

PR: Quadree Henderson, Avonte Maddox

KR: Quadree Henderson, Maurice Ffrench

Anthony McKee sighting. nice.. yeah I know, there is no one else. still nice to see.

The other day Chris put out his predictions and there was a walk-on backing up Zeise so I will take this two-deep as welcome news.
will be interesting to see the two deep when WIrginis comes back. is it as simple as him just replacing Williams? Will he be first backup at money and middle?

Who's the odd man out when Bookser returns?

Jimmy Morrissy starting at center???

Lot of freshman in the 2 deep.

Great work by Flowers to come from the back of the pack and get into the 2-deep.

Dissapointed in Clark, Dintino and Watts.

Will Darren Hall ever go away? What dirt does he have on the program?

This secondary is gonna get abused. I hope Ford, Hamlin, Coleman etc all end up getting more PT by the end of the year to prepare for next year.

Great work by Flowers to come from the back of the pack and get into the 2-deep.

Dissapointed in Clark, Dintino and Watts.

Will Darren Hall ever go away? What dirt does he have on the program?

This secondary is gonna get abused. I hope Ford, Hamlin, Coleman etc all end up getting more PT by the end of the year to prepare for next year.

Why are you disappointed in Clark, Dintino and Watts? Clark is the co-starter with Flanagan manning the other TE spot. According to reports, Clark has done an excellent job blocking and receiving in camp.

Dintino will likely get bumped to 3rd string following the insertion of Bookser in Week 2. Are you disappointed that Dintino was not named the starter?

The DT position will see a lot of rotation. Look for Watts to make a major impact knowing that he can take a breath if needed. Last year, the DT position was good, but thin. Later in games, the DL would be absolutely gassed after trying to sustain pressure on the QB and RB in order to hide some of the issues with the secondary. This year, there appears to be pretty solid depth.

The secondary does scare the hell out of me, but I'm holding out hope for guys like Mathis and Pinnock. Like you, I hope Hamlin, Ford, Whitehead (after 3 games) can come back and make a massive difference against the pass.

Reactions: President Stache
Why are you disappointed in Clark, Dintino and Watts? Clark is the co-starter with Flanagan manning the other TE spot. According to reports, Clark has done an excellent job blocking and receiving in camp.

Dintino will likely get bumped to 3rd string following the insertion of Bookser in Week 2. Are you disappointed that Dintino was not named the starter?

The DT position will see a lot of rotation. Look for Watts to make a major impact knowing that he can take a breath if needed. Last year, the DT position was good, but thin. Later in games, the DL would be absolutely gassed after trying to sustain pressure on the QB and RB in order to hide some of the issues with the secondary. This year, there appears to be pretty solid depth.

The secondary does scare the hell out of me, but I'm holding out hope for guys like Mathis and Pinnock. Like you, I hope Hamlin, Ford, Whitehead (after 3 games) can come back and make a massive difference against the pass.
-I'm more concerned with our lb unit then the secondary. The secondary has potential to improve rapidly with pure speed,and athleticism and height. Our lb unit is still slow and looks blah without playmakers and ball hawks. I also like Matthis.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Watts is gonna play plenty, even if he's not listed a starter.

Can Brightwell play Star? I know he played Money last year. Wirginis should play inside when he returns and move Brightwell to whoever is performing lesser between Idowu and Zeise.

Reactions: MajorMajors

Most of the guys in the 2 deep will play a lot, particularly the DLs and DBs. The TEs will all see plenty of reps. Hendrix was limited in camp. He's still not 100%. Whitehead will be back in Week 4 but will have to get up to speed. I wouldn't expect to see Hamlin, Ford or Coleman much if at all this year. Hamlin has never been healthy at Pitt, not sure he ever will be.

-I'm more concerned with our lb unit then the secondary. The secondary has potential to improve rapidly with pure speed,and athleticism and height. Our lb unit is still slow and looks blah without playmakers and ball hawks. I also like Matthis.

LBs are definitely a massive concern this year, just as they were last year. Galambos had plenty of experience, but there were far too many times where he simply couldn't make it to the spot he knew he needed to be in. Wirginis showed some promise, but we won't know how he looks until the game against GT; not exactly a team you want him starting the season against. Zeise must stay healthy...

Most of the guys in the 2 deep will play a lot, particularly the DLs and DBs. The TEs will all see plenty of reps. Hendrix was limited in camp. He's still not 100%. Whitehead will be back in Week 4 but will have to get up to speed. I wouldn't expect to see Hamlin, Ford or Coleman much if at all this year. Hamlin has never been healthy at Pitt, not sure he ever will be.

If Hendrix cannot sustain a high level of play, Weaver has looked very solid in camp. Hopefully both are healthy and can provide a breather for the other.

I really hope Hamlin and Ford can see some time on the field this year. If Hamlin doesn't see time this year, I fear he may get passed by some of these younger guys Narduzzi has brought in. Ford will see the field at some point, even if only in special situations, if he is eligible.

I dont think our LB are slow, Zeise and Idowu are actually rather fast. The issue last year is Zeise, who is probably the fastest, was hurt all year, and Idowu was small and got pushed around. I think both are fixed there. Galambos wasnt fast, so we will add speed there as well.

Why do you like Mathis? A true freshman starting will make mistakes. Nothing against Mathis, he may end up being great, but he is a true Frosh. If he starts we will have some issues.

am I the only pitt fan on this planet that thinks Folston can be a good player for us?

I dont think our LB are slow, Zeise and Idowu are actually rather fast. The issue last year is Zeise, who is probably the fastest, was hurt all year, and Idowu was small and got pushed around. I think both are fixed there. Galambos wasnt fast, so we will add speed there as well.

Why do you like Mathis? A true freshman starting will make mistakes. Nothing against Mathis, he may end up being great, but he is a true Frosh. If he starts we will have some issues.
-I like his upside and ball instincts. I think we all know the defense is going to struggle. But we have young talant to at least work with in the secondary and alot more speed and athleticism to make plays. Forcing turnovers can change the game to wins. Hence the potential Ford impact, he makes plays that may be seen later on in the season

-I like his upside and ball instincts. I think we all know the defense is going to struggle. But we have young talant to at least work with in the secondary and alot more speed and athleticism to make plays. Forcing turnovers can change the game to wins. Hence the potential Ford impact, he makes plays that may be seen later on in the season

By the way, dont get me wrong, I dont disagree with you. I dont think we have the talent to dominate, especially at the LB and with our depleted and young secondary. If we get great push up front, then we may look better, if not, it will be a loooooooonnnngggggg year.

By the way, dont get me wrong, I dont disagree with you. I dont think we have the talent to dominate, especially at the LB and with our depleted and young secondary. If we get great push up front, then we may look better, if not, it will be a loooooooonnnngggggg year.
-The blitz packages need to be creative and aggressive. If we sit back like last year, we are going to get picked apart on drives. Id rather give up long tds while trying to force turnovers then just let the opposing team sling it right down the field on us. Pressure creates mistakes. We need to dial it up, and its tbd whether we do or don't.

What good fortune it was for Pitt to have Hodges land in their lap.

Great to see Jones-Smith at OT -- I wondered if he could return to form. I thought we might see Hodges at tackle. Hodges gives the OLine some nice flexibility...

Seems like Coach Duzz is sending a message to Mathews that he has to earn back the trust of the staff and team... Will be interesting to see who lines up when they go to 3-WR sets...

Go Pitt.

Yes, Clark should be head and shoulders better than Flannigan.

Same goes for Watts, he should be light years ahead of Roy, especially after playing last year.

Dintino couldn't beat out a walk-on, yes i'm dissapointed in him.

If our talent doesn't start to "get it" and we continue to play guys like Roy, Morrisey, Idowu, Briggs, Jackson etc, then expect 8-9 wins to be our plateau. I personally want mor and would rather see the kids with higher upside playing even if it means they are not trying as hard in practice and will make more mistakes on gameday.

Same goes for Watts, he should be light years ahead of Roy, especially after playing last year.

If our talent doesn't start to "get it" and we continue to play guys like Roy, Morrisey, Idowu, Briggs, Jackson etc, then expect 8-9 wins to be our plateau. I personally want mor and would rather see the kids with higher upside playing even if it means they are not trying as hard in practice and will make more mistakes on gameday.

"Talent" is what the heck a player does vs. an unforgiving opponent during a real, 60 minute game.

Talent isn't --- "That dude had offers, and looks so much faster and more athletic when they're frollicking around the practice field with their teammates."

Walk Ons and under-recruited players emerge all the time, and play like Heroes during real games --- when the "Highly Recruited" + "More Talented" specimens might wilt in prime-time and not get the job done.

They are all gonna get their shot to prove who has the "Talent" in a live game vs. Youngstown State in a week.

After looking at the depth chart I'm thinking that D-line is the deepest in terms of potential and talent. Hope Browne has a nice showing Sat.

Really misguided post here. The best players play. The players compete in practice every day to determine who's best. It's really that simple. It's about a lot more than the measurables and recruiting rankings.

After looking at the depth chart I'm thinking that D-line is the deepest in terms of potential and talent. Hope Browne has a nice showing Sat.

"Talent" is what the heck a player does vs. an unforgiving opponent during a real, 60 minute game.

Talent isn't --- "That dude had offers, and looks so much faster and more athletic when they're frollicking around the practice field with their teammates."

Walk Ons and under-recruited players emerge all the time, and play like Heroes during real games --- when the "Highly Recruited" + "More Talented" specimens might wilt in prime-time and not get the job done.

They are all gonna get their shot to prove who has the "Talent" in a live game vs. Youngstown State in a week.

Morissey is not just a random "walk-on". He was clearly an invited (i.e., a preferred) walk on with the requisite size for OL. From HS he was nominated to Big 33, was an all-Philly player. The recruiting services don't catch everyone when assigning stars. Morissey may have been just as good or better an OL prospect as Dintino but missed by the recruiting services and under recruited as a result. Some Pitt coach liked his film so they made him a preferred walk-on with the opportunity to earn a ship which is what he has done.

That is the nail on the head... QB play is the biggest question mark. No doubt Browne has talent, just need to see if he can handle game time this year and be a force. He definitely has the potential and motivation he needs.

Everyone seems to think Bookser will take over the C after YSU. Is this likely? Is there any real smoke here? Or, is Morrisey likely to remain the starting C going into PSU?

Everyone seems to think Bookser will take over the C after YSU. Is this likely? Is there any real smoke here? Or, is Morrisey likely to remain the starting C going into PSU?

Bookser will likely take over the LG spot, with Officer shifting back to center.

Is Paris going to play on Saturday?

No one here can provide an answer to that. I think the majority would say no, unless he sees some time on special teams or some sort of special nickel-type coverage with him occupying the center of the field.

I think they will want to play their 5 best OL who IMO are .... O'Neil, Hodges, Officer, Bookser, and Jones-Smith ...... maybe not, but I think that all 5 of these players may get a shot at making it in the NFL ?

Only because I wasn't sure if Morrisey was getting token start due to Bookser's suspension. Or, if the staff was serious about him manning the C position all year.

I'm suprised they didn't put Chawntez Moss at FB since he didn't crack the 2-deep. Would be awesome to see him in some of those sweep players that Ashton got last year and would help him get on the field more with all that depth at RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT