ADVERTISEMENT

Ok State Recruiting Rankings

Oklahoma state has Texas number in last 7 years despite recruiting rankings.

OSU also has one of the best S&C programs in the nation. I like to think we recruit 3* and turn them into 4* players.

We also will strategically hit the JUCO routes for some DT and have had recent success getting experienced CB/safety grad transfers.

In 2012 as a down year we had 3 diff starting Qb Who all were injured at some point. In 2014 we had 3 starting qb as well and Mason had to remove his RS to play final 2 games of regular season. Every other year since 2009 we have been in contention for the conference. Our biggest hurdle is OU. Bedlam will be a pivotal game for OSU as a program.

I think Pitt has a solid team and will try to play keep away from the OSU offense. If you can control the TOP and get a few big stops/turnovers it will be a close ball game.

Nervous about Henderson big plays but I haven't been overly impressed with Browne.

OSU will try to get scoreboard pressure and make Pitt try to play an uptempo style game.

Looking forward to watching the game and hope both sides leave with no injuries!

Go Pokes!

Reactions: SouthTulsaPoke
Go Pokes![/QUOTE]
Oklahoma state has Texas number in last 7 years despite recruiting rankings.

OSU also has one of the best S&C programs in the nation. I like to think we recruit 3* and turn them into 4* players.

We also will strategically hit the JUCO routes for some DT and have had recent success getting experienced CB/safety grad transfers.

In 2012 as a down year we had 3 diff starting Qb Who all were injured at some point. In 2014 we had 3 starting qb as well and Mason had to remove his RS to play final 2 games of regular season. Every other year since 2009 we have been in contention for the conference. Our biggest hurdle is OU. Bedlam will be a pivotal game for OSU as a program.

I think Pitt has a solid team and will try to play keep away from the OSU offense. If you can control the TOP and get a few big stops/turnovers it will be a close ball game.

Nervous about Henderson big plays but I haven't been overly impressed with Browne.

OSU will try to get scoreboard pressure and make Pitt try to play an uptempo style game.

Looking forward to watching the game and hope both sides leave with no injuries!

Go Pokes!

Buddy Morris is now a cowboy?

They have pretty good facilities. It doesn't help them recruit at an elite level.

It no doubt helps them recruit better than they were before those facilities appeared--which is/was the point. It takes a lot more than facilities to contend on a national basis year in and year out. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: pbrad
It no doubt helps them recruit better than they were before those facilities appeared--which is/was the point. It takes a lot more than facilities to contend on a national basis year in and year out. Hail to Pitt!
Doesn't really have seemed, to, no.

No amount of fan support and facilities will make a team recruit out of their place in college football. If your not a traditional blue blood you aren't getting top 10 classes without spending a ton of money and I don't mean on facilities or recruiting budget, unless recruiting budget includes paying kids.

And you base that on what? Since the Pickins gift in 2003, OSU has a record of 120-59, with 13 bowl game appearances; for the same number of years prior to the gift, OSU was 60-95-3, with 2 bowl appearances. Obviously the gift helped recruiting and everything else associated with their football program. Hail to Pitt!

No amount of fan support and facilities will make a team recruit out of their place in college football. If your not a traditional blue blood you aren't getting top 10 classes without spending a ton of money and I don't mean on facilities or recruiting budget, unless recruiting budget includes paying kids.
I don't agree. I think the staff makes the difference. Everyone greases palms once kids are on campus, but essentially no one is getting anything big before that.

And you base that on what? Since the Pickins gift in 2003, OSU has a record of 120-59, with 13 bowl game appearances; for the same number of years prior to the gift, OSU was 60-95-3, with 2 bowl appearances. Obviously the gift helped recruiting and everything else associated with their football program. Hail to Pitt!
Except their recruiting hasn't been all that good.

Except their recruiting hasn't been all that good.

Their recruiting is not that good compared to what? Stillwater, OK is not exactly a garden spot, nor is it blessed with tons local talent. Recruiting there will always be tougher than for the bluebloods of college football. Wins and losses certainly seem to undermine your factually unsupported assertion. Hail to Pitt!

What OK State has that PITT hasn't had in a long time is stability at the HC position. There's been so much turnover in the last 10 years with each coach trying to recruit their style of players to fit their system. In Year 3 we are finally starting to see some of the defensive players Duzz wants to employ that fit his system, but there are all underclassmen and ineperienced for the most part (aside from a few transfers).
They also have one of the richest men in America contributing heavily to the program.

Money has certainly helped. I don't think it's just he facilities. The money they have been able to put into the staff and facilities have been a major reason, although i would say the staff is probably the biggest reason.
You also have to factor in the shape of the Big 12 during that time. Nebraska sank into being a middle of the road program before leaving. Colorado collapsed before leaving. K-State became a losing program after Snyder and it took him a few years to build it back up once he got back. Texas had a short elite run during that period and then fell apart after the Alabama NC game.
OSU was a bad program that elevated itself. But one reason why it became possible to elevate between 2003 and now is the state of the programs that were standing in its way.

The Big 12 has plenty of good teams. OU and OSU are very good. Baylor was very good. TCU had a couple seasons where they were very good. They and Baylor deserve the playoffs that one year. TCU and WVU are generally good teams. KSU has been good to very good. Texas Tech has slipped to mediocre. Texas has been mediocre to below mediocre yet has talent to win on any given Saturday. Iowa State is one of those solid below average teams. Kansas has been terrible. On average I'd take the Big 12 over the ACC. It's just there's only 10 teams. But they all play each other so there are just as many hurdles as an ACC team faces.

OSU has won fairly big since 2008 or so with great QBs and mediocre, patchwork ones. A couple years were totally smoke and mirrors when we had a poor o-line after years of good ones. No matter who the OC has been, the offense has pretty much maxed out each year. 2014 OSU had nothing but Tyreek Hill and salvaged a 6-6 regular season. The 2015 Sugar Bowl team had a terrible o-line and a hurt Rudolph in the bowl. Last year he was hurt the entire last half the year until the bowl game. Bottom line is Gundy has done a great job with the O and getting the team to perform on the road. He'll tell you he recruits for speed, and in the last 4-5 years, character. Not that they're all good characters, but he has noticeably recruited for character when it's roughly equal between recruits. Defensively, we've been average. One should take into account the number of plays per game though due to speed of play in the Big 12. We've run/defended as much as 50% more plays than some SEC teams some years. The talking heads don't take that into account.

We lose everyone this year but will have good solid back ups (except at QB) for next year. I was impressed with Narduzzi last year. This year not so much. Hopefully it means we are that good on O and can keep lighting it up. Good luck the rest of the year.

The Big 12 has plenty of good teams. OU and OSU are very good. Baylor was very good. TCU had a couple seasons where they were very good. They and Baylor deserve the playoffs that one year. TCU and WVU are generally good teams. KSU has been good to very good. Texas Tech has slipped to mediocre. Texas has been mediocre to below mediocre yet has talent to win on any given Saturday. Iowa State is one of those solid below average teams. Kansas has been terrible. On average I'd take the Big 12 over the ACC. It's just there's only 10 teams. But they all play each other so there are just as many hurdles as an ACC team faces.

OSU has won fairly big since 2008 or so with great QBs and mediocre, patchwork ones. A couple years were totally smoke and mirrors when we had a poor o-line after years of good ones. No matter who the OC has been, the offense has pretty much maxed out each year. 2014 OSU had nothing but Tyreek Hill and salvaged a 6-6 regular season. The 2015 Sugar Bowl team had a terrible o-line and a hurt Rudolph in the bowl. Last year he was hurt the entire last half the year until the bowl game. Bottom line is Gundy has done a great job with the O and getting the team to perform on the road. He'll tell you he recruits for speed, and in the last 4-5 years, character. Not that they're all good characters, but he has noticeably recruited for character when it's roughly equal between recruits. Defensively, we've been average. One should take into account the number of plays per game though due to speed of play in the Big 12. We've run/defended as much as 50% more plays than some SEC teams some years. The talking heads don't take that into account.

We lose everyone this year but will have good solid back ups (except at QB) for next year. I was impressed with Narduzzi last year. This year not so much. Hopefully it means we are that good on O and can keep lighting it up. Good luck the rest of the year.

In what world has WVU been good since joining the Big 12?
Putting aside how good the conference is or isn't, the OP's point was that Okie State provides a path to outperforming your recruiting rank. And that simply isn't true. Oklahoma outrecruits OSU and Oklahoma owns them most years. Texas is the only team that would be in a recruiting tier above OSU that OSU beats. The rest are either in the same tier as them, meaning the class average isn't so different that you would expect team A to beat team B based on recruiting ranking, or in a tier below them.
Or put another away, OSU beats the teams the recruiting rankings says they should, loses to the teams the rankings say they should. Which like everybody else in college football.
The difference is OSU does a good job of beating the teams the recruiting rankings are ambivalent towards, i.e. in the same recruiting tier as OSU. The problem for Pitt is FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, and UNC are all in tiers above Pitt. Three of those teams are in the Coastal, and one will be waiting in the ACCC game. So that's at least 4 conference games Pitt needs to defy the recruiting rankings, and maybe 5 depending on cross divisional game that year. And none of those teams are coached by Charlie Strong or the corpse of Mac Brown.
So anybody pointing to OSU as a "model" for Pitt to follow is delusional. OSU only had to defy the recruiting class rankings twice a year. Pitt has to do it 4 times.

Literal class ranking is largely irrelevant. Recruiting is about "tiers." The difference between the number 1 class and the number 2 class is meaningless. Instead we group classes 1 through X together and say, "this is a 5 star, tier 1 recruiting class." If anybody in those classes beat the others, it wouldn't be a recruiting upset, because the difference isn't great enough.
I'd want to know where Oklahoma State ranks in terms of tiers. Texas and Oklahoma I'm sure outrecruit them by a tier or two. But Oklahoma generally handles them, as does Texas when they have their coaching situation right (which is rare nowadays). I can't really think of any other team that would be in a tier above Okie State? Maybe TCU?
We've beaten Texas four times in a row in Austin. No one else has ever done that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT